Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "We don't practice free throws very much"  (Read 2996 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
"We don't practice free throws very much"
« on: November 29, 2008, 08:43:45 PM »
That's what Homer indicated Buzz mentioned the other night.  Well, we might want to start.  That, and transition defense.

The defense has been piss poor all year and tonight is no exception.  Dayton averaging 65 points a game and they have 62 with 11 minutes to go in the game.

ecompt

• All American
Re: "We don't practice free throws very much"
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:50:46 PM »
It might be nice if we ran an offensive play or two somewhere along the line. This is street ball, nothing but running and gunning, and we have NO advantage in any department against a mediocre A-10 team. More than depressing.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 08:52:34 PM »
Fell out of my chair when I heard that.  God knows we're not working on big man drills during practice.

Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 08:53:13 PM »
This could be a looong season.

GO_MU02

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 08:54:16 PM »
Between the awful free throw shooting and the nonexistent transition defense this is incredibly painful to watch.  We are making Dayton looking amazing tonight.

strobl2

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 09:29:16 PM »
I really wonder what we are working on during practice. Buzz says that our main priority is defense, and our defense is horrible. We don't really have a good halfcourt offense either. I was optimistic about buzz at first, but now I don't know what to think.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 09:34:11 PM »
if Tom Crean taught me anything, it's that you can really over rate November.  I'll judge this season in March.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 09:35:41 PM »
+1 DKCL

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 09:38:15 PM »
if Tom Crean taught me anything, it's that you can really over rate November.  I'll judge this season in March.

Very, very true. The problem for me is that this team looks just like the team of the last three years. They've been fine stories (although like everyone I'd love to see more of the post season), but the script is getting a little stale.

I'll keep watching and rooting, but can't help but feel like I've seen this film before.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 09:50:34 PM »
The difference is, the last three years we waited 25 seconds to run a play and occasionally it worked. This year we have no plays other than to run up the court and take the first available shot even if it is a 40-footer. This is unwatchable. There is NO thinking in this offense.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 10:03:38 PM »
The difference is, the last three years we waited 25 seconds to run a play and occasionally it worked. This year we have no plays other than to run up the court and take the first available shot even if it is a 40-footer. This is unwatchable. There is NO thinking in this offense.

exactly my feeling- not just the first shot, but the first unorganized, low-percentage shot.  I don't remember anyone setting any screens, any two man game, any organized bball at all!

jce

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 08:27:15 AM »
Fell out of my chair when I heard that.  God knows we're not working on big man drills during practice.

I believe that what Buzz meant is that they do not devote practice time to free throw shooting.  At this level, players are expected to work on such things on their own before and after practice.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 08:33:48 AM »

ecompt-----quit being so negative.  :o