collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384456 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #3575 on: August 23, 2021, 10:56:13 AM »
I think I agree with the notion that it'll never be 'mandatory' on a national level but that individual businesses will be able to require it as a condition of employment or attendance/participation.

Right, just as with many other vaccines. And there will be some very narrow exceptions for medical conditions and religious beliefs.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3576 on: August 23, 2021, 10:56:48 AM »
I'd say he was grouping closer to 90-100million (estimate of evangelical Christians) not the entirety of Christian America

Even still.  Comparing that group off the actions of a few to someone like the Taliban is as stupid as comparing any mask mandates to Nazi Germany.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3577 on: August 23, 2021, 11:06:19 AM »
Even still.  Comparing that group off the actions of a few to someone like the Taliban is as stupid as comparing any mask mandates to Nazi Germany.

I generally agree with your point. Jockey paints with far too broad a brush. That said, it's more than "a few" on the Christian right whose views trend toward the theocratic, and more than a few who see political violence as a potential necessity.
And nothing is as dumb as comparing mask mandates to Nazi Germany.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3578 on: August 23, 2021, 11:24:25 AM »
I'd say he was grouping closer to 90-100million (estimate of evangelical Christians) not the entirety of Christian America

They have only been referred to as the American Taliban since we've know who the Taliban are.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3579 on: August 23, 2021, 11:27:03 AM »
I hope that has at least some positive impact on changing the minds of the vaccine hesitant folks. Even a 1% impact is a start.

Doubt it.

Prepare for goalposts to be moved again.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3580 on: August 23, 2021, 11:52:08 AM »
Doubt it.

Prepare for goalposts to be moved again.

Faux News is already asking if it got approved too quickly
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3581 on: August 23, 2021, 11:55:15 AM »
It’s incredible to me Trump was booed when urging people to get vaccinated.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #3582 on: August 23, 2021, 12:06:41 PM »
It’s incredible to me Trump was booed when urging people to get vaccinated.

That moment when Georges Danton realized that the Terror he'd helped to create had slipped from his ability to control.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3583 on: August 25, 2021, 10:08:04 PM »
Yikes

@TizzyEnt: Told you...
I've uncovered evidence of a scam allowing the unvaccinated to appear vaccinated, but how many? https://twitter.com/TizzyEnt/status/1430658074377924618/video/1

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3584 on: August 26, 2021, 06:11:35 AM »
Yikes

@TizzyEnt: Told you...
I've uncovered evidence of a scam allowing the unvaccinated to appear vaccinated, but how many? https://twitter.com/TizzyEnt/status/1430658074377924618/video/1

I wonder if anyone told her the fine and jail time associated with these actions.  And we're not talking happy fun time prison....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3585 on: August 26, 2021, 06:45:07 AM »
The Panthers on Wednesday traded LB Denzel Perryman -- an anti-vaxxer -- to the Raiders.

He had been injured off and on during training camp and the Panthers realized quickly that he wouldn't help them after having signed him during the offseason. They wouldn't say whether his anti-vax stance contributed at all to the move, but he was one of the few players on the roster to have not been vaccinated.

Interestingly, the Raiders acquired him even though they have been very proactive with vaccination protocols and were the first NFL team to announce that fans would have to show proof of vaccinations to attend games.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3586 on: August 29, 2021, 12:15:10 PM »
Why are evangelical Christians so vaccine hesitant? Politics + "God's will" = lots of death.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-some-white-evangelical-republicans-are-so-opposed-to-the-covid-19-vaccine/?ex_cid=538twitter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3587 on: August 30, 2021, 07:31:42 AM »
After thoroughly viewing at all the evidence from Israel and elsewhere re potential booster shots, here's what the NYT's David Leonhardt had to say (bolded headings were his):

Here’s my best attempt to give you an objective summary of the evidence, free from alarmism — and acknowledging uncertainty:

Immunity does probably wane modestly within the first year of receiving a shot. For this reason, booster shots make sense for vulnerable people, many experts believe. As Dr. Céline Gounder of Bellevue Hospital Center told my colleague Apoorva Mandavilli, the C.D.C.’s data “support giving additional doses of vaccine to highly immunocompromised persons and nursing home residents, not to the general public.”

The current booster shots may do little good for most people. The vaccines continue to provide excellent protection against illness (as opposed to merely a positive Covid test). People will eventually need boosters, but it may make more sense to wait for one specifically designed to combat a variant. “We don’t know whether a non-Delta booster would improve protection against Delta,” Dr. Aaron Richterman of the University of Pennsylvania told me.

A national policy of frequent booster shots has significant costs, financially and otherwise. Among other things, the exaggerated discussion of waning immunity contributes to vaccine skepticism.

While Americans are focusing on booster shots, other policies may do much more to beat back Covid, including more vaccine mandates in the U.S.; a more rapid push to vaccinate the world (and prevent other variants from taking root); and an accelerated F.D.A. study of vaccines for children.

As always, we should be open to changing our minds as we get new evidence. As Richterman puts it, “We have time to gather the appropriate evidence before rushing into boosters.”

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3588 on: August 30, 2021, 09:45:05 AM »
https://www.heritage.org/public-health/report/statistical-analysis-covid-19-breakthrough-infections-and-deaths?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thf-tw

Once you’re vaccinated this thing is over.  Similar odds to dying from Covid as you would have of dying by lightning strike per the data. 

Get poked, live your life. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3589 on: August 30, 2021, 09:48:44 AM »
https://www.heritage.org/public-health/report/statistical-analysis-covid-19-breakthrough-infections-and-deaths?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thf-tw

Once you’re vaccinated this thing is over.  Similar odds to dying from Covid as you would have of dying by lightning strike per the data. 

Get poked, live your life.

Dying, why is everyone only concerned about dying? Personally I'm concerned about the likelihood of myocarditis if I get even a mild case after vaccination. I'm still going out and what not, but why is it so black and white for you?
Maigh Eo for Sam

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3590 on: August 30, 2021, 11:23:26 AM »
Dying, why is everyone only concerned about dying? Personally I'm concerned about the likelihood of myocarditis if I get even a mild case after vaccination. I'm still going out and what not, but why is it so black and white for you?

You can get myocarditis from any viral infection?  You could get it from the Covid vaccine? 

I guess I don’t understand your point.  My post was to suggest that if vaccinated you can drop the mask and sleep easy.  A lot of doom and gloom still being reported directed at those who are even vaccinated which is counterproductive imo.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3591 on: August 30, 2021, 11:53:02 AM »
You can get myocarditis from any viral infection?  You could get it from the Covid vaccine? 

I guess I don’t understand your point.  My post was to suggest that if vaccinated you can drop the mask and sleep easy.  A lot of doom and gloom still being reported directed at those who are even vaccinated which is counterproductive imo.

Myocarditis from the vaccine? Source?

pacearrow02

• Starter

jesmu84

• All American

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3594 on: August 30, 2021, 03:45:18 PM »
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2782900

At a MUCH lower rate than getting Covid. The broader point I was making is after hearing another poster's story of having a bad case of Covid despite vaccinated, after seeing my sister's case of it despite being vaccinated everything's a calculated risk, not necessarily "back to normal" if a person doesn't feel comfortable. And a major part of that calculated risk should be taking into account more than just death as there's plenty of other long term issues.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3595 on: August 30, 2021, 04:42:11 PM »
At a MUCH lower rate than getting Covid. The broader point I was making is after hearing another poster's story of having a bad case of Covid despite vaccinated, after seeing my sister's case of it despite being vaccinated everything's a calculated risk, not necessarily "back to normal" if a person doesn't feel comfortable. And a major part of that calculated risk should be taking into account more than just death as there's plenty of other long term issues.

Sure. But here is my issue, not necessarily pointing the finger at you, but people are back to portraying risk the same as this time last year.  They anchor on the small amount of breakthrough cases within the vaccinated population, and say “you can still get COVID when vaccinated and get all the negative non-death issues” and suddenly is fear and risk everywhere.

If we have substantial amounts of people with F-up senses of taste or smell or major lung issues as a result of contracting COVID while vaccinated, ok eyebrows raised. But  Myocarditis from a minor case of COVID can easily also occur from a case of the flu, cold, or nasty bout of allergies.  All things you naturally attempt to avoid, but isn’t something you cautiously live your life around.

And with all due respect to your sister and the other poster, focusing on these isolated statistically unlikely cases as flawed as those fearing vaccinations cause of the random person they know that supposedly died from the vaccine or their neighbor who got super sick from it.  Even though one side then defaults to an excess of caution and the other uses it as an excuse for recklessness, they both are using the statistics and science incorrectly
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 04:46:35 PM by JWags85 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3596 on: August 30, 2021, 04:52:39 PM »
A fantastic Twitter thread about vaccines and American freedoms:

@michaelharriot

When anti-vaxxers cite their freedoms, constitutional rights, and–the whitest thing of all–the Founding Fathers to rail against vaccine mandates, do they know what they're talking about?
What if I told you this happens EXACTLY every 100 years?

[In 1706, the members of a Boston church gave the pastor Cotton Mather a gift bag with a very special present--an enslaved Black man named Onesimus.
( That's how they collected tithes and offerings, but times were very different back then)
But Mather couldn't STAND Onesimus.

Some of it was because Onesimus laughed his ass off when Mather tried to convince him that God was white. Mather said Onesimus was "wicked" because he was too smart. Plus, Onesimus tried to tell Mather something that was unbelievable.
In Africa, they had cured smallpox.

Smallpox was a deadly, contagious disease. When it came to the US, they blamed the pandemic on immigrants who came here on ships.  Then…
You know what?
There's no way anyone living today would understand this part.
Anyway, Mather didn't believe  Onesimus' BS.

But he told his pharmacist friend about it, and they decided to try it. So Mather & his doctor friend inoculated 248 of their friends and family.
When white people heard this, they lost their minds. One Boston newspaper stayed impartial. But the publisher and his little brother secretly printed pamphlets that said the slaves were trying to kill the white people by injecting them with smallpox.

It sparked the first anti-vaxxer movement. They even firebombed Mather's house with a note that said "I will inoculate you with this."
Then, in 1721, 5,889 people in Boston – about 1/2 the town– caught smallpox & 1 out of every 7 died.

Only 6 of the 248 people inoculated by Onesimus' recipe died—or one in 40. 
Massachusetts quickly became the first state to promote public vaccination.
The next year, another smallpox epidemic hit. Less than 3% even caught it. It worked.

But that publisher's little brother, who was printing those anti-vaxx pamphlets, he was too embarrassed to get his kids vaccinated and his son died.
He regretted it so much that he moved to Philadelphia, opened America's first hospital.

I'm not saying this guy was more intelligent than you, but when you talk about your "freedoms" & what the Founders stood for, you should know that this guy was kinda like a Founding Father. His nickname was "The first American"
But most people just call him Ben Franklin.

Ben was all for vaccine mandates, but a lot of people weren't. States banned vaccines, & people rioted in Virginia in 1769. One Virginian wasn't worried because he had already gone to Philadelphia to get vaccinated.
Ben even helped him edit this breakup letter he wrote.

It was called the Declaration of Independence.
In his 2nd term as president, he began mandating vaccines.
Literally 100 years after someone put a human being in the offering plate, Jefferson wrote a doctor concerning vaccines calling it the greatest discovery in medical history.

A few years later, Jefferson's homeboy created the National Vaccine Agency. If you believe in the Founders, you should know the guy who created the  Agency was some dude named James Madison, who also wrote this thing called the Constitution of the United States of America.

One last bit of proof:
During the Revolutionary War, smallpox ravaged British and American troops. So George Washington came up with an idea on how he could gain an advantage.
Yep, a VACCINE MANDATE literally helped a ragtag group of soldiers create this thing  called America

There's more, which you can read here:

https://twitter.com/michaelharriot/status/1432064300953346048

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3597 on: August 30, 2021, 05:05:05 PM »
Stoopid George Washington canceled FREEDOM!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3598 on: August 30, 2021, 05:07:16 PM »

@michaelharriot

When anti-vaxxers cite their freedoms, constitutional rights, and–the whitest thing of all–the Founding Fathers to rail against vaccine mandates, do they know what they're talking about?

[In 1706, the members of a Boston church gave the pastor Cotton Mather a gift bag with a very special present--an enslaved Black man named Onesimus.
( That's how they collected tithes and offerings, but times were very different back then)

Some of it was because Onesimus laughed his ass off when Mather tried to convince him that God was white. Mather said Onesimus was "wicked" because he was too smart. Plus, Onesimus tried to tell Mather something that was unbelievable.

Smallpox was a deadly, contagious disease. When it came to the US, they blamed the pandemic on immigrants who came here on ships.  Then…
You know what?

But he told his pharmacist friend about it, and they decided to try it. So Mather & his doctor friend inoculated 248 of their friends and family.
When white people heard this, they lost their minds. One Boston newspaper stayed impartial. But the publisher and his little brother secretly printed pamphlets that said the slaves were trying to kill the white people by injecting them with smallpox.

It sparked the first anti-vaxxer movement. They even firebombed Mather's house with a note that said "I will inoculate you with this."
Then, in 1721, 5,889 people in Boston – about 1/2 the town– caught smallpox & 1 out of every 7 died.

The next year, another smallpox epidemic hit. Less than 3% even caught it. It worked.

But that publisher's little brother, who was printing those anti-vaxx pamphlets, he was too embarrassed to get his kids vaccinated and his son died.
He regretted it so much that he moved to Philadelphia, opened America's first hospital.

I'm not saying this guy was more intelligent than you, but when you talk about your "freedoms" & what the Founders stood for, you should know that this guy was kinda like a Founding Father. His nickname was "The first American"

Ben was all for vaccine mandates, but a lot of people weren't. States banned vaccines, & people rioted in Virginia in 1769. One Virginian wasn't worried because he had already gone to Philadelphia to get vaccinated.

Literally 100 years after someone put a human being in the offering plate, Jefferson wrote a doctor concerning vaccines calling it the greatest discovery in medical history.

A few years later, Jefferson's homeboy created the National Vaccine Agency. If you believe in the Founders, you should know the guy who created the  Agency was some dude named James Madison, who also wrote this thing called the Constitution of the United States of America.

One last bit of proof:
During the Revolutionary War, smallpox ravaged British and American troops. So George Washington came up with an idea on how he could gain an advantage.
Yep, a VACCINE MANDATE literally helped a ragtag group of soldiers create this thing  called America

History repeats itself because despite all our advances as humans, we’re still pretty stupid and too many times tribal
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3599 on: August 30, 2021, 08:23:37 PM »

@michaelharriot

You know what?

One last bit of proof:

Cute story.  If Covid was killing 1 out of 7 Americans no matter the age pretty sure there would be more support for a vaccine mandate.