collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384467 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1725 on: March 05, 2021, 06:03:29 AM »
I wasn't sure I'd even be able to get a vaccine until the end of the summer.  I'm not feeling real good about how distribution is going in Wisconsin especially in my county.

We are at over 2 million doses per day nationally.  And Wisconsin is doing quite well compared to the rest of the US, I think you'll be fine by the end of May.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1726 on: March 05, 2021, 09:23:22 AM »
Yesterday in the Chicago Vaccine Hunters group a poster reported that her anti-vaxx relative is part of a group of anti-vaxxers who make appointments and then no show  in hopes that the dose will need to be thrown out. They believe they are on a mission from God.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1727 on: March 05, 2021, 09:27:41 AM »
Yesterday in the Chicago Vaccine Hunters group a poster reported that her anti-vaxx relative is part of a group of anti-vaxxers who make appointments and then no show  in hopes that the dose will need to be thrown out. They believe they are on a mission from God.

That's f*cked up
Maigh Eo for Sam

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1728 on: March 05, 2021, 10:31:06 AM »
We are at over 2 million doses per day nationally.  And Wisconsin is doing quite well compared to the rest of the US, I think you'll be fine by the end of May.

And if someone is super concerned about the whole thing but not considered high risk you can still easily setup an appointment at Walgreens and get the shot.  No one is checking a paystub or employment verification to make sure you’re 1A or 1B and with supply ramping up I also don’t think you need to beat yourself up over “skipping to the head of the line”. 

The last 12 months have been mentally exhausting for a lot of folks and if anyone who falls into that category can be put at ease, I say go right ahead and get to the front of the line.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1729 on: March 05, 2021, 10:56:10 AM »
And if someone is super concerned about the whole thing but not considered high risk you can still easily setup an appointment at Walgreens and get the shot.  No one is checking a paystub or employment verification to make sure you’re 1A or 1B and with supply ramping up I also don’t think you need to beat yourself up over “skipping to the head of the line”. 

The last 12 months have been mentally exhausting for a lot of folks and if anyone who falls into that category can be put at ease, I say go right ahead and get to the front of the line.

I am not opposed to people who have unmanageable anxiety regarding the virus being moved towards the front.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1730 on: March 05, 2021, 11:15:12 AM »
Sorry but seeing the pleas for help on the FB page from seniors and really ill people trying to get shots scheduled, I can’t agree. The supply is ramping up considerably and it won’t be long before the rest can get their shots. And then there’s the problem if the homebound and less mobile people. Many seniors would rather go to Walgreens where they live and they can’t get appointments because younger people are grabbing them.
Book as soon as you are eligible, but not before.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1731 on: March 05, 2021, 11:23:05 AM »
Sorry but seeing the pleas for help on the FB page from seniors and really ill people trying to get shots scheduled, I can’t agree. The supply is ramping up considerably and it won’t be long before the rest can get their shots. And then there’s the problem if the homebound and less mobile people. Many seniors would rather go to Walgreens where they live and they can’t get appointments because younger people are grabbing them.
Book as soon as you are eligible, but not before.

Right.  Don't be selfish.  There is a logic behind the guidelines.  Follow them even if you don't agree with them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1732 on: March 05, 2021, 11:32:18 AM »

Right.  Don't be selfish.  There is a logic behind the guidelines.  Follow them even if you don't agree with them.

Overall I agree with this and I’m considered a 1A employee but have yet to get in line for one cause I’m not high risk and for the reasons mentioned above.  With that said I would certainly have some grace if someone decided to skip the line because of the anxiety this has caused, that’s all.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1733 on: March 05, 2021, 11:43:24 AM »

Agree but the guidelines are a little blurry. They have no one but themselves to blame that everyone's who ever smoked a cigarette now feels they're eligible.

Should have stuck with clearly defined Age brackets and career eligibility. And let doctors independently recommend people with severe illnesses, cancer recovery patients etc.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1734 on: March 05, 2021, 11:44:50 AM »
Agree but the guidelines are a little blurry. They have no one but themselves to blame that everyone's who ever smoked a cigarette now feels they're eligible.

Should have stuck with clearly defined Age brackets and career eligibility. And let doctors independently recommend people with severe illnesses, cancer recovery patients etc.

In Wisconsin I don't believe people with comorbidities under the age of 65 are eligible.  So if the only "qualification" someone has to be eligible to receive the vaccine earlier is they are a smoker, they would not currently be eligible.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1735 on: March 05, 2021, 11:47:54 AM »
In Wisconsin I don't believe people with comorbidities under the age of 65 are eligible.  So if the only "qualification" someone has to be eligible to receive the vaccine earlier is they are a smoker, they would not currently be eligible.

Based on type employment plenty of people under the age of 65 in Wisconsin are eligible who are healthy as horses.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1736 on: March 05, 2021, 12:27:59 PM »
I do agree that the guidelines are blurry, depending on the state. I know on one of these threads we talked about the need for simplicity. Illinois right now frankly is just way too complicated, and I’ve generally been on board with Pritzker’s  decisions.

• All American
« Reply #1737 on: March 05, 2021, 12:32:58 PM »

The guidelines are blurry intentionally.  And Pace isn't talking about people saying "I'm not sure if I qualify."  He is talking about people skipping ahead because they are "anxious."

The guidelines were put in place so as to not overwhelm the system and give some sense of logical prioritization.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:35:32 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1738 on: March 05, 2021, 12:37:08 PM »
Based on type employment plenty of people under the age of 65 in Wisconsin are eligible who are healthy as horses.

Right.  But not based on comorbidities (being a smoker).

Also, I'm fine with smoking being considered a comorbidity.  Those people are at higher risk.  Yes, they did that to themselves.  But they didn't know they would also be facing a pandemic at some point in their lifetime and that smoking would make the health risks they are already taking even worse.  It's not that much different than SOME of the people who are obese being so because of their choice to eat certain foods and to not exercise (while realizing that some obese people have at least attempted to live a healthier lifestyle and got the short end of the genetic stick).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1739 on: March 05, 2021, 12:39:31 PM »

Walgreens and CVS have had very limited availability in their locations. Many states that have Walgreens and CVS have not yet had vaccines available.

Still a ways to go for pharmacy availability.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1740 on: March 05, 2021, 12:42:12 PM »
I sort of smoked from fall 2014- 2015. (MUBB you did this to me!) does that make me qualify? See what I mean? Almost everybody can look back and say "well I used to smoke when I was drunk" "I've been to a bunch of hookah bars" "I've smoked crack" but it's wayyy too blurry.

I'm all for the honors system and can't speak for Wiscon's system but when they see a massive influx of people coming in saying they qualify it's their own fault.

Another example at last here in Illinois is construction being 1c. Cant wait to see how many people who've done 1 job in their life show up.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1741 on: March 05, 2021, 12:51:11 PM »

As someone who set up a shot at Walgreens, they absolutely DO check if you are 1A or 1B or lower.

Secondly, it is not easy to set up an appointment. They have no guaranteed flow of the vaccine. As a matter of fact, they don't even know what version of the vaccine they will be getting each week. That is why you are automatically set up for the 2nd shot in 4 weeks (Moderna has a 4 week waiting time) - even though Pfizer (which is what I got recommends 3 weeks.

Walgreens stores find out Monday morning how many doses they will get. They then post it online to sign up. Generally, if you don't sign up on Monday or on Tuesday morning, there is no availability.

Of course I am only speaking of Racine, but have been told that this is the process for all Walgreens. Hopefully, with more availability of the vaccine, this process will improve.

• All American
« Reply #1742 on: March 05, 2021, 12:55:27 PM »
What you have been told about Walgreens is the process many places use.  Mostly because they don't want to cancel appointments.

Your best chance at appointments I have been told is to look them up Monday evenings.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:58:11 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1743 on: March 05, 2021, 01:04:13 PM »
I sort of smoked from fall 2014- 2015. (MUBB you did this to me!) does that make me qualify? See what I mean? Almost everybody can look back and say "well I used to smoke when I was drunk" "I've been to a bunch of hookah bars" "I've smoked crack" but it's wayyy too blurry.

I'm all for the honors system and can't speak for Wiscon's system but when they see a massive influx of people coming in saying they qualify it's their own fault.

Another example at last here in Illinois is construction being 1c. Cant wait to see how many people who've done 1 job in their life show up.

Not surprised you're a crack head, kin. Answers so many questions.

;D 8-)

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1744 on: March 05, 2021, 01:06:49 PM »
In the Chicago area at least 6 am is now the sweet spot for Walgreens, weekends for Jewel-Osco. A couple places do theirs T midnight.
If you’re in the Chicago area and in FB join Chicago Vaccine Hunters, there is one for Milwaukee too. Your head will explode but there is lots of good information if you can get through some of the chaff.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1745 on: March 05, 2021, 01:23:42 PM »
Some people sleep and actually work, but yeah, I disappeared.  ::)
Oh hey, still too busy at work?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1746 on: March 05, 2021, 01:24:04 PM »
As someone who set up a shot at Walgreens, they absolutely DO check if you are 1A or 1B or lower.

Secondly, it is not easy to set up an appointment. They have no guaranteed flow of the vaccine. As a matter of fact, they don't even know what version of the vaccine they will be getting each week. That is why you are automatically set up for the 2nd shot in 4 weeks (Moderna has a 4 week waiting time) - even though Pfizer (which is what I got recommends 3 weeks.

Walgreens stores find out Monday morning how many doses they will get. They then post it online to sign up. Generally, if you don't sign up on Monday or on Tuesday morning, there is no availability.

Of course I am only speaking of Racine, but have been told that this is the process for all Walgreens. Hopefully, with more availability of the vaccine, this process will improve.

I know a handful of people who have not been asked for any verification showing they’re 1A or 1B that have gone to Walgreens.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1747 on: March 05, 2021, 01:28:58 PM »
Right.  But not based on comorbidities (being a smoker).

Also, I'm fine with smoking being considered a comorbidity.  Those people are at higher risk.  Yes, they did that to themselves.  But they didn't know they would also be facing a pandemic at some point in their lifetime and that smoking would make the health risks they are already taking even worse.  It's not that much different than SOME of the people who are obese being so because of their choice to eat certain foods and to not exercise (while realizing that some obese people have at least attempted to live a healthier lifestyle and got the short end of the genetic stick).

My problem with smoking, by itself, being listed as a qualifying comorbidity is that it is a behavior, whereas all the other listed comorbidities are medical diagnoses.

If they are going to start listing behaviors, why not also list overeating...because it might lead to obesity, diabetes or cardiovascular disease in the same way smoking might lead to lung disease?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1748 on: March 05, 2021, 01:39:32 PM »
Not surprised you're a crack head, kin. Answers so many questions.

;D 8-)

Tyrone Biggums is my name
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1749 on: March 05, 2021, 01:53:50 PM »

This was not my experience. Wahen I checked this morning, Walgreens in the Milwaukee area had 50+ appointments available within the next three days. I checked every day for the past week out of curiosity. There were always more than 10 appointments available.

I am not in a priority group. I called Walgreens last week and said if they have
cancelled appointments and doses were going to go to waste to give me a call. They had multiple cancellations this morning. They called me. I got my first dose of Moderna a few hours ago. They did not ask me for anything beyond an ID, but that may be because they knew I wasn't in a priority group.

I don't believe I skipped the line in this case. I took a dose that was offered to me and did not make an appointment. But there also look to be tons of appointments available so maybe the supply is outpacing the demand.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 02:54:23 PM by BM1090 »