'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jay Bilas Sums Up Marquette Appropriately  (Read 5773 times)

Bocephys

• All American
Jay Bilas Sums Up Marquette Appropriately
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:19:36 PM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8826138/jay-bilas-ranks-68-best-teams-country-college-basketball

35. Marquette Golden Eagles (Previous ranking: No. 19)

Marquette beat Georgetown and UConn at home, and is off to a good start in Big East play. The Golden Eagles play hard and do most things well, but they don't do anything great and can be erratic at times on both ends of the floor.

MerrittsMustache

• All American

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Jay Bilas Sums Up Marquette Appropriately
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:51:05 PM »
Just Do It Erratically

#CampusRoar
SS Marquette

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 02:57:05 PM »
MU beat UConn and G'town but dropped 16 spots? How often does he do these rankings?

Last one was December 12th from what I can see.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 03:08:08 PM »
Where is Pitt?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 03:18:24 PM »
Touche! ...but I think you know what I mean.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »
Just one spot below us...

36. Pittsburgh Panthers (Previous ranking: No. 25)

The metrics love Pittsburgh, and a big road win over Georgetown helps the case. Jamie Dixon's team had looked inept in the second half against Cincinnati, getting outscored 38-18 over the final 12 minutes and allowing the Bearcats to shoot over 50 percent after halftime. At Rutgers, Pitt got beaten on the glass, but that should be expected when you allow your opponent to shoot 51 percent and shoot only 37 percent yourself. Pittsburgh will be OK, but had not played well to start Big East play until the beatdown of the Hoyas.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »
Jay is a big fan of "when" you beat a team obviously......beat Pitt, beat G-Town and beat Bucky YET we are ranked below them

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8869493/jay-bilas-ranks-top-68-teams-nation-college-basketball

Keep winning in Feb and Mar, get in tourney and turn the list into bird cage lining
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 09:42:46 AM »
Bilas' most recent rankings came out Wednesday, the 23rd.  He has Marquette 40th:

Marquette got off to a 4-1 start in the Big East, with three of its five games going to overtime. Vander Blue has taken over as the top scorer and most consistent player, but Marquette has not been able to consistently make shots. There is no metric for this, but The Bilastrator has not seen any team play harder than Marquette. The Golden Eagles have made more free throws than their Big East opponents have attempted.
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 10:36:23 AM »
Strange he has us at 40th.  Bilas has seemed to have us way higher than most all year, then when the market "corrects" us to a top 25/26 team, he goes the other way?  Not that it matters, obviously, just found it odd.  Maybe he's a leading indicator of our fortunes, good or bad?

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 10:49:43 AM »
I may disagree with Bilas right now, but he has always been fair to MU and Buzz.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 10:53:10 AM »
I'm not entirely convinced he even does these rankings himself. There are always some curious rankings/explanations each year, times he copies/pastes from one week to the next even when it makes no sense.

It sort of makes more sense for it to be an intern's job that gets his name.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 11:09:38 AM »
I may disagree with Bilas right now, but he has always been fair to MU and Buzz.

Totally agree.  Just thought it was odd that he usually overvalues us (seemingly), then this week drops us to 40.  It could also be the case that the drop may have happened prior to this week and I missed it.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 10:00:06 PM »
Totally agree.  Just thought it was odd that he usually overvalues us (seemingly), then this week drops us to 40.  It could also be the case that the drop may have happened prior to this week and I missed it.

Bilas has dropped Buzz down several levels as a coaching talent after hearing from Mike Hunt that Juan Anderson almost didn't get his chance.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.