[Today at 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[Today at 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Final Four Thread  (Read 37375 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: Final Four Thread
« Reply #325 on: April 02, 2018, 11:53:07 PM »
Donte didn’t not play his last game at Nova. Brunson and Bridges now that’s a different story.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #326 on: April 03, 2018, 11:33:03 AM »
Where did Villanova and Michigan games appear this season?

FOX / FS1 / BTN  -  43 games

ESPN / ESPN2 / ESPNU  -  17 games

CBS / CBSSN  -  12 games

TBS / TNT  -  10 games
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #327 on: April 03, 2018, 11:42:43 AM »
You know, some folks' knee-jerk reaction to DiVincenzo going pro might be "no effen way," but the kid is an excellent athlete with outstanding range, a good handle, good defensive ability, good size.

Gordon Haywardish. A better pro prospect than Vander ever was, IMHO.

He'd be another one who'd be smart to see up close what the NBA thinks of him.

The "no effen way" crowd have never seen him play or don't know what they're watching. His handle isn't great but he's a very, very good athlete who's fearless and has unlimited range. Kid's legit. Haanif Chatham, though? WTF is up with that?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #328 on: April 03, 2018, 11:47:17 AM »
Can we find a Divencenzo, not even top 100.

The Michael Jordan of Delaware. Rating guys don't get to Delaware much.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #329 on: April 03, 2018, 11:51:30 AM »
The Michael Jordan of Delaware. Rating guys don't get to Delaware much.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #330 on: April 03, 2018, 01:19:57 PM »
Ratings sucked for last night's game:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-march-madness-ends-a-low-note-ncaa-1099242

The Turner suite of channels led Monday night with its coverage of NCAA Championship basketball — but the big game is pacing for an all-time low.

TBS', TNT's and Tru's shared coverage of Villanova's decisive win over the University of Michigan sunk 29 percent from the comparable 2017 game with an all-time low overnight 10.3 rating among households. That capped off a particularly modest run for March Madness. (Final numbers for the game will arrive later Tuesday.)

It was still the biggest thing on TV on Monday night, no doubt contributing to the season low for ABC's American Idol. The singing show was down to a 1.4 rating among adults 18-49 and 7.1 million viewers, losing to The Voice by a solid half-point in the key demo. The Voice led broadcast with a 1.9 rating in the demo and 9.9 million viewers.

CBS and Fox both took a pass on airing originals against basketball, but NBC and ABC both put out original dramas at 10 o'clock. The latest episode of NBC's Good Girls held a 0.9 rating in the key demo, while ABC newcomer The Crossing had a slow start with a 1.0 rating among adults 18-49 and 5.5 million viewers. It did win the hour, at least on the Big Four.

Add this to the fact that NASCAR ratings have been in the dump for years, and we see how this isn't just an "NFL problem."

I'm no expert, but I wonder how they even count people who stream stuff.

I enjoyed the NCAA tournament, but the Final Four was a dud competitively. The women's FF was incredible, in comparison.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #331 on: April 03, 2018, 01:33:17 PM »
I'm no expert, but I wonder how they even count people who stream stuff.

Nielsen at least counts hulu live and YouTube tv (presumable DTV now too).  I'm guessing they're still missing sling and PlayStation streaming since there's no mention of it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nielsen-adds-digital-tv-ratings-to-account-for-cord-cutters-2017-7

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #332 on: April 03, 2018, 02:02:05 PM »
MU82-
Keep in mind in the link that it failed to say the airing was on cable for the second time, an anti-climactic NCAA Tournament final.

Monday’s Villanova-Michigan NCAA Tournament national championship earned a 10.3 overnight rating across TBS, TNT and and down 14% from 2016 on the Turner (TBS) networks (Villanova-UNC: 12.0).
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #333 on: April 03, 2018, 02:08:13 PM »
It probably didn't help that the only question heading into the game was Nova's margin of victory.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #334 on: April 03, 2018, 02:19:05 PM »
Good points, one and all.

Gooooo: This one did seem easier to predict than so many others of recent vintage. Although my memory does suck, so maybe I felt the exact same in other years. But seriously, I thought 6.5 or 7 points was really, really low given what I considered the difference between the teams.

Wish I had been in Vegas, baby!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #335 on: April 03, 2018, 02:31:16 PM »
Good points, one and all.

Gooooo: This one did seem easier to predict than so many others of recent vintage. Although my memory does suck, so maybe I felt the exact same in other years. But seriously, I thought 6.5 or 7 points was really, really low given what I considered the difference between the teams.

Wish I had been in Vegas, baby!

Yeah, I was kinda surprised by the spread. I thought it should have been at least double digits.

Mrs. Goooo has a strict no-gambling rule, but I tried to convince her that this was more like an investment than gambling. She didn't buy it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #336 on: April 03, 2018, 04:18:57 PM »
the ridiculously late start time couldn't have helped either. 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #337 on: April 03, 2018, 05:24:19 PM »
It's been that way forever. Not really too much later when ESPN, FS1, CBSSN have game 2 of their doubleheaders during the regular season. The problem is more in the tournament that makes games longer are longer timeouts and 20 minute halftime.
-Bill Walton

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #338 on: April 03, 2018, 07:20:36 PM »

Being on cable instead of network TV is one factor. Comparing 2018 to 2016 is more of an apples to apples comparison.

The game becoming a blowout is another factor.  The last three title games were much more competitive.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #339 on: April 03, 2018, 07:26:21 PM »
- Late start, 9:25pm ET
- Game not being on CBS
- Jim Nantz yelling while announcing game, he was very annoying. 
- Ratings would have been better with a Duke, Kentucky, UNC, in game. 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #340 on: April 03, 2018, 09:07:48 PM »
It's been the same time start since almost forever.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 09:14:42 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #341 on: April 05, 2018, 08:54:42 AM »
It's been the same time start since almost forever.

Then change it to start earlier.  when kids can't watch the game because it starts at 8:30 on a school night, that's a problem for 1) not attracting kids 2) parents who have to put their kids to bed.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #342 on: April 05, 2018, 09:19:13 AM »
Then change it to start earlier.  when kids can't watch the game because it starts at 8:30 on a school night, that's a problem for 1) not attracting kids 2) parents who have to put their kids to bed.

But will that really help ratings when folks on the west coast are still at work/commuting?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #343 on: April 05, 2018, 09:30:10 AM »
But will that really help ratings when folks on the west coast are still at work/commuting?

That's what DVRs are for.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #344 on: April 05, 2018, 09:36:31 AM »

Absolutely.

I very much prefer when a MU game starts a little earlier than I can start watching, because it's easy to set the DVR and catch up. I often get to start our 6 pm games at 6:30, and it works great.

For late games, I could always DVR the end of a game for later viewing...but it's a lot less convenient and realistic to try going the whole next day without finding out the score so I can watch the end after work.

As between the two, too early is MUCH more fan friendly than too late....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #345 on: April 05, 2018, 10:23:56 AM »
I haven't had DVR service since Sept. 1, and it is the one thing I miss since unplugging.

I used to love recording sporting events and then starting to watch them about an hour after tip-off or kickoff or first pitch. I'd gradually catch up and I wouldn't have to watch commercials or halftime. Plus, I could stop for pee breaks, beer runs, etc.

There have been a few other minor irritations, but I admit to enjoying the $$$ savings, and day-to-day non-sports program watching has been fine.

But the no DVR thing has stung. By next Sept. 1, I'm pretty sure we will go back to having some DVR capabilities.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #346 on: April 05, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »

What's a DVR?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #347 on: April 05, 2018, 10:29:04 AM »
Come on, kids are not going to bed at 8:30pm. So, what did kids do for the past 30 years? I watched it as a kid. Are u saying kids don't watch SNF and MNF or the NBA Finals. All these events end around 10:35PM.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:41:51 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #348 on: April 05, 2018, 10:32:23 AM »
Ya, advertisers will not go for that. Turner/CBS need that money to pay the bills.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #349 on: April 05, 2018, 10:37:26 AM »
So, what did kids do for the past 30 years? I watched it as a kid. Are u saying kids don't watch SNF and MNF. NBA Finals. All these events end around 10:35PM.

Kids who have to go to bed at 8:30 aren't exactly in the target market either.

And I've never understood the whole "put the kids to bed thing."  Get them dressed, read them a book, kiss them good night.  10 minutes max.