[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Will Nova avoid temptation on one and dones?  (Read 3622 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Will Nova avoid temptation on one and dones?
« on: April 03, 2018, 09:12:38 AM »
Great article about them being the best program right now.  Despite 5 straight years of not making it out of the first weekend, they have now won 2 of 3 titles by going after a cultural fit, very good player but not a one and done type.

Will that continue?  Will they be tempted into going after the elite talent that stays for a brief moment, or continue after very good talent that matures and provides consistency.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23006199/villanova-title-proves-best-program-all-college-basketball

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Will Nova avoid temptation on one and dones?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 09:30:52 AM »
I think the bigger question right now is how many of Nova's players declare for the draft.  Both Bridges and Brunson are as good as gone, Spellman could go and before he had to sit out last year he was viewed as a one and done by many.  I was watching the game with a Nova fan last night and he was concerned that DiVincenzo would leave too.  No idea if this has any merit, but his stock should be pretty high right now and he's a 6-5 guard that has unlimited range, that bodes well for the NBA.  I could see a scenario where he sneaks into one of the last spots of the first round.  I realize that they have a good class coming in but if there only returning players are Booth, Paschall, and Gillespie, that's a pretty big roster turnover to have if they have any chance of defending their title.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 09:56:44 AM »
I like this story even better: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/its-villanovas-world-and-college-basketball-should-be-glad-to-be-living-in-it/2018/04/03/f126ce66-3692-11e8-8fd2-49fe3c675a89_story.html?utm_term=.37d843e6161d

I think it reveals that Wright would like to get even for 5-star and elite players. Says Wright:

“Well, the reason we stick to it is we can’t get the one-and-done guys. We’re trying. We really are . . . . We recruit guys that just want to be in college. We want them to enjoy the college experience and then we hope that after one year of enjoying the college experience they have a really difficult decision to make that the NBA wants you but you really enjoy college. Rather than come to college saying I want to get out as soon as I can.”

Regardless, great program and deserving of a championship.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 10:15:35 AM »
Just a few years ago he blamed the 2011, 2012, 2013 years being so bad to average because he was going after those types of players after their 2009 final four. He said he'd stay away from that. Interesting change here.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 10:29:41 AM »
I think the bigger question right now is how many of Nova's players declare for the draft.  Both Bridges and Brunson are as good as gone, Spellman could go and before he had to sit out last year he was viewed as a one and done by many.  I was watching the game with a Nova fan last night and he was concerned that DiVincenzo would leave too.  No idea if this has any merit, but his stock should be pretty high right now and he's a 6-5 guard that has unlimited range, that bodes well for the NBA.  I could see a scenario where he sneaks into one of the last spots of the first round.  I realize that they have a good class coming in but if there only returning players are Booth, Paschall, and Gillespie, that's a pretty big roster turnover to have if they have any chance of defending their title.

He's also very athletic and ain't getting any younger. I think Spellman is 50/50, DeVincenzo 33% chance he leaves. They should both test the waters for sure.

Agreed on if one or both of those guys leave that creates an opening in thet BEast, luckily we're positioned to take advantage

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 10:33:37 AM »
He's also very athletic and ain't getting any younger. I think Spellman is 50/50, DeVincenzo 33% chance he leaves. They should both test the waters for sure.

Agreed on if one or both of those guys leave that creates an opening in thet BEast, luckily we're positioned to take advantage

They could legitimately put four players in the NBA. X graduates four seniors. SH graduates four seniors. PC graduates three seniors. Lots of room being made at the top
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 10:38:27 AM »
They could legitimately put four players in the NBA. X graduates four seniors. SH graduates four seniors. PC graduates three seniors. Lots of room being made at the top

Totally agree

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 10:46:39 AM »
One of the tweets that caught my eye last night was referring to a Jay Wright quote from I believe 2012 when they had 5 McDonald's All-Americans. After the season, Wright walked into his office and yelled at his assistants "Get me some <expletive> players I can actually coach!"

Since then, they built a system on teaching and patience. Players have to wait their turn and learn the system, bulk up their bodies, and let the staff determine what is best for them. Honestly, my first thought was of Bo Ryan, who did a great job of using redshirts and getting guys to buy in until they were in their third or fourth year in the program before becoming the star.

I don't think Nova has to worry about the "temptation" of one-and-dones because I don't think those players tempt Wright, they actually piss him off. He wants guys at the other end of the top-100 that are willing to work, willing to wait, willing to learn, and willing to sacrifice their own numbers for the good of the team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 12:31:33 PM »
Just a few years ago he blamed the 2011, 2012, 2013 years being so bad to average because he was going after those types of players after their 2009 final four. He said he'd stay away from that. Interesting change here.

Don't know if it's really a change. If I recall the recent article, he essentially said he regretted putting 5 star status above cultural fit and work ethic. The current article, where he talks about recruiting guys who "want to be in college" might be his definition of cultural fit. If you're a 5 star and only going to college because the NBA says you "have to"...maybe those are the guys he'd shy away from.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 06:14:08 PM »
DeVincenzo absolutely should "test the waters." I think he'll actually get very positive feedback that could convince him to go. He's a heck of an athlete. Bigger upside than Dekker, IMHO.

Athletes think they will always get better, so he might not agree with this, but ... his stock might never be higher than right now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 09:47:23 AM »

That's the temptation part I'm alluding to.  They have access to any player they want, but their model has proven successful going after kids that want to be there beyond one year.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 11:36:17 AM »
Jay Wright has hit the recruiting sweet spot.  Doesn't get the one and dones but gets guys who have potential to get drafted into the association.  He always gets great point guards, who might be slightly limited athletically but are great college point guards who can make a NBA roster.  He then gets a bunch of lengthy guys who can stretch the floor.