[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [GoMarquette.com] Hard Work In The Weight Room Begins Long Before Start Of Fall Semester  (Read 2885 times)

GoMarquetteSays

Hard Work In The Weight Room Begins Long Before Start Of Fall Semester

The Marquette men's basketball program works extremely hard under the direction of head strength coach Todd Smith, the lone coach on MU's staff allowed to work with the players year-round.

http://onlyfans.cstv.com/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/090809aaa.html

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
I find some of these hard to believe...

"Johnson-Odom can squat 400 pounds and bench 300 pounds, both the second-best marks on the roster. He has increased his body weight by 16 pounds while maintaining six-percent body fat."

16 pounds of muscle in a month or two?

"Otule has decreased his body fat by 11 percent since he arrived on campus and gained 30 points of lean mass. His vertical jump has improved two inches and he can now do 24 chin-ups, as opposed to just two his freshman year."

very impressive if true

very interesting read. nice article

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
make sure you watch the entire video so you can see jimmy's jump at the end. that was pretty awesome

T-Bone

• All American
Wow - Jimmy jumps higher.

The 16 pounds was added to a lean frame, which should be doable with an advanced dietary and exercise program.  I doubt DJO has ever had anything like the last 2 months in his life. 

I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Daniel

• All American
Looking good - we're going to need to be buff to bang in the BEast and Todd looks like he has them going strong :)  Kudos

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
Wow - Jimmy jumps higher.

The 16 pounds was added to a lean frame, which should be doable with an advanced dietary and exercise program.  I doubt DJO has ever had anything like the last 2 months in his life. 

never had anything like it yet the dude squats 400 and benches 300?? that doesn't come without some prior training

BME to MD

• Scholarship Player
never had anything like it yet the dude squats 400 and benches 300?? that doesn't come without some prior training

Max numbers are really just numbers without comparison to the person's bodyweight.  DJO reported his weight at 205 in April so that would put it him at approximately 2xBodyweight squat and 1.5xBodyweight bench.  Neither of those multipliers is that crazy especially considering that he spent 2 months with the trainers. 

DJO probably had some prior training.  However, his prior training was likely just the standard 3 sets of 8 bench-squat-deadlift-overhead press.  Over time those simpler kinds of workouts have a tendency to exacerbate strength imbalances that end up limiting maximum strength.  Also, form is incredibly important when maxing out and probably means the difference between 275 and 300 in DJO's case. 

But it is really cool to how much of an effect cutting edge nutrition and strength training can have on a properly motivated and obviously genetically gifted individual though...

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
If you want to take a look at the type of regimen that the team goes through during the offseason, there's a pretty detailed breakdown here.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/speedandpowerjuly09.html

Browse around a bit and you can see the full year strength and conditioning program. 
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

GGGG

• All American
"Our morning work is done in two groups between 6am-10am. The student-athletes go to class from 10am-2pm.  Our afternoon work is done as a team between 2pm-5pm."

Holy crap....kind of makes my hour in the gym, two or three days a week seem pretty lame.

pillardean

• Team Captain
Wow Mr. Smith, I am pretty sure I would die or become extremely ripped; either way I wouldn't like you.

That is being said with the utmost respect to him and the players for going through workout like that.
Marquette University, Spring '08

T-Bone

• All American
Re: [GoMarquette.com] Hard Work In The Weight Room Begins Long Before Start Of F
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 10:29:11 AM »

Yeah, that's why I threw in the "advanced".  I'm sure he's trained plenty, but I doubt it's been as detailed as what Todd's throwing at these kids.  
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.