[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More on Roseboro - article in Philly paper about recruitment  (Read 16537 times)

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
Re: More on Roseboro - article in Philly paper about recruitment
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 06:16:23 AM »
Do people in Pennsylvania live in fantasy land?  I mean this is the real world.  This is how it is when it comes to anything competitive.  I actually think Buzz should be commended by letting Brett know ASAP that there was a high likely hood of him not playing and or his scholarship not being renewed at the end of the season. He could have let him hang in limbo all season and made it a really horrible experience, but in this instance he was straight forward, brutally honest and while the end result was certainly disappointing  for BR; it was actually his best option.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 06:31:42 AM »
I hope Buzz has also held Collins accountable.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 06:52:12 AM »
I thought the article was fair.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:15:42 AM »
I thought the article was fair.

I thought it was fair too.  Basically, all they are saying is that Roseboro got an offer that was too good to pass up (and, unfortunately, too good to be true).  The article makes the point that Marquette made a recruiting error and overreached because they hadn't seen him enough.  In hindsight, I think it's hard to argue wtih this.

One thing I've thought as I read these two articles is that the high school coaches are getting off a little easy...probably because they're the ones granting interviews and providing information.  I think a kid's HS coach should help guide him through this process and if a kid gets a scholarship offer that is way out of line with what the coaches think he merits, they should make sure he looks at the situation rationally.  These coaches themselves have said they viewed Brett as a low-to-mid D-1 player.  I wonder if they shared this assessment with him when he got a high major offer to play in the Big East.  They should have explained that coaches may promise the world, but that they just didn't see him playing too much at a high major program.  That doesn't excuse Marquette's recruiting mistake, but I hope everyone learned something in this process -- Marquette, Roseboro and his HS coaches.  But, as I said, the offer was probably too good to pass up -- for Brett and his coaches..
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 07:16:14 AM »
It's disappointing that both Collins and Maymon thought this guy would be a great addition.  Then Buzz saying that he likes these diamond in the rough kinds of guys.  Do we not look at these guys a little more closely than this before offering scholarships?  Then, Roseboro shows up and he is out of his league in pick up games?  This guy must have been pretty bad, because we could have really used someone with his supposed skill set.  He was bad enough that he would not have developed enough to get on the floor, even early in his career?  

I was hoping that the kid left on his own after realizing he would never get to this level.  But, this pretty much confirms that it was a two way decision (maybe even initiated by Buzz).  It's disappointing that Buzz had to have this discussion before he even hit his fall freshman classes, let alone official October practices.  I guess it's better now rather than later.  We seem to be in on a ton of recruits.  Maybe, we need to scale it back a little bit, and focus more on some specific individuals.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 07:26:09 AM »
I thought the article unfairly criticized MU.  This situation happens countless times in all major D-I sports.  The highlight here should be that Buzz was classy enough to admit he made a mistake and let BR know as much.  Does anyone remember Carlton Christian? Poor guy had the fundamentals of an 8 year old and Crean didn't cut him loose till the end of the season.....do we see the difference here?  Its an unfortunate situation but was handled in the most professional way possible. 

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 07:32:29 AM »
I think the article is fair and more of reflection on all recruiting, not just MU. It is far better to cut losses for both sides early and move on. Too often players sit around for a year or two before leaving and that is unfortunate.

If I was Buzz I would let the Roseboro's of the world be recruiting by UW and  stick with the athletic studs.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 07:40:10 AM »
Not so long ago, we all watched a young man that we didn't know all that much about absolutely blow up in the Great Alaskan Shootout.   We saw one game and thought that that was what we had, an inside/outside threat capable of dropping 30 and getting 10 boards.    It turned out to be not only the highlight of his MU career, but of his entire collegiate career.   It was an outlier, a peak performance, a fluke.
   It appears to me that this is how we ended up with Brett.   Aki saw his outlier, peak performance at a tournament and thought that this was just the first of many, that this is what we had, that the upward arc had began.    The coaching staff realized during summer workouts what it took some of us 2 years to figure out.    The cut is clean, the wound is cauterized and scarring should be minimal.    Best of luck to young Mr. Roseboro.
   BTW, the article seems fair to me.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 08:47:15 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 08:05:55 AM »
I'd love to hear his HS coaches elaborate on what "the world" that BR was promised was exactly.  I can't see a guy who's shown to be as brutally honest as Buzz has guaranteeing BR anything other than the chance to prove he deserves PT.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 08:08:41 AM »
The only difference was that Ryan Amoroso was a GOOD high school player.  Brett Roseboro didn't even sound like the best player on his own team last year.

I think the article was a little unfair to Marquette, but such is college basketball when kids end up at school in over their heads (Christophersen and Hazel).  I think the article went out of it's way to indicate that MU told Brett he wasn't going to play his freshman year.  

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 08:24:02 AM »
Whoever made the point about the HS coaches being held responsible as well is dead right. If you have an average player mistakenly get targeted by a major school after a one or two game aberration, it is your responsibility to tell the school (MU) and the kid that it's not the right fit.

LON

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 08:35:25 AM »
To sum up the article:

Waaaaaaahhhhh
Waaaaaaahhhhh

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 08:45:47 AM »
So the Villanova beat writer didn't show MU in a positive light.....I'm shocked and appalled!!
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 09:13:10 AM »
lurch, the article did go out of the way to say that MU told Brett the truth about his game.   So, if MU gets a reputation for being straight with recruits and allowing them out in order to make a better decision for their future, is that a bad thing?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 09:15:35 AM »
Never heard of the paper despite living in the area.  As far as what his high school coach said about Marquette promising him "the world", I guarantee Buzz would never say that, nor wouild he want his assistants making exagerrated promises when out on the recruiting trail.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 09:38:11 AM »
I think by "the world" Buzz offered him a full ride and a chance to play at a top-tier school in one of the best conferences in the country.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 10:00:24 AM »
Never heard of the paper despite living in the area.  As far as what his high school coach said about Marquette promising him "the world", I guarantee Buzz would never say that, nor wouild he want his assistants making exagerrated promises when out on the recruiting trail.

You have no idea what was said as you were not there. How could you possibly know what Buzz did or did not say.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 10:43:05 AM »
You have no idea what was said as you were not there. How could you possibly know what Buzz did or did not say.

+1.

I like Buzz, but let's not pretend like we know what he's saying to these kids.

I assume everything is truthful and accurate (based upon what I have seen)... but I'm not there when he talks to them.

The Roseboro thing kinds stinks... but if this is the only time that something like this happens, I'm giving Buzz the benefit of the doubt.

If similar situations start occurring more often... then it could get weird.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 11:17:39 AM »
The number one mistake kids make when choosing a school to play at is they over reach.  What i mena by that is if a kid has offersfrom 5 mid majors and one BCS school they almost always shoot for the top school.  Now this cannot be earthshattering and you cannot blame a kid for wanting to shoot for the stars and attempt to compete at the very highest level.  However in most instances it leads to the kid being over whelmed on a talent basis and riding pine for 1-2 years before transfering to a lesser level that he can compete at. 

Now people want to find blame.   Why?  should the kid be blamed for shooting gfor the stars and trying to play at the highest level....i would hope not.  Should that top school be blamed for offering a kid a chance while everyone in therir right mind is not expecting him to start may end of surprising to the upside and it being a very positive experience....i hope not

so there are risks on both sides....so why is everyone trying to find blame through newspaper articles and forums.   Seems from his comments that Roseboro and Buzz know the game and are taking it one heck of alot better than the newspaper scribes, the out of their league HS coaches, and people trying to find foault through message boards. 

No one is too blame.   Tweener tpye recruits have to make a choice go to alesser school wher ethey can contribute right away or go to a bigger time program and possibly never contribute.  i think there would be a lot less pain if players and parents and their advisors ie AAu coaches and HS coaches took a more objective look at things.  And they do not always do that the coaches want to look big time by sending there kids to a "name' program, parents too, and of course the kids want to try to compete at the highest level. Bottom line is they often over reach.

Smae thing happens on the other side...a school like an Mu needed size nothing wrong with reaching possible down a notch to give a kid a chance. 

happens all the time with kids whetehr it be on the mid major to high major level  or the dII to DIII level etc. 

again Rosebore seems to be fine with it he knew the challenge and seems to be genuinely happy he gave it a shot and is now content with playing at a lower level. 

augoman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 11:20:35 AM »
article seems fair, Roseboro did nothing wrong- in fact did something right in transferring.  I feel we erred in not doing better homework before offerring.  I hope this is the last time it happens.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 11:28:03 AM »
Practical matter is that life is not always "fair" or predictable.  Its true in the business world as well.  I hired numerous guys and gals during my busineess career.  That process is similar to BB recruting.  You end up with winners, middling performers and some busts.  For those in the latter two categories, counseling is always important.  For the last category, swift action is best for all parties.  I suspect the Roseboro situation falls into this area.  Best of luck to Brett in his future endeavors and hope that St. Bonaventure is the right fit for him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 11:32:36 AM »
Whoever made the point about the HS coaches being held responsible as well is dead right. If you have an average player mistakenly get targeted by a major school after a one or two game aberration, it is your responsibility to tell the school (MU) and the kid that it's not the right fit.

The HS coaches were also in over their heads.  They had no idea about the process because they never went through it themselves.

BTW, the article is completely fair.  Buzz and his staff screwed up by making a recruiting mistake.  What they did a few weeks ago was fair.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:36:18 AM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 12:45:11 PM »
article seems fair, Roseboro did nothing wrong- in fact did something right in transferring.  I feel we erred in not doing better homework before offerring.  I hope this is the last time it happens.

It won't be.
Recruiting mistakes happen not infrequently at every school. Just a part of the process.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 01:12:38 PM »
Wasn't there another very similar thing that happened a few weeks ago or a month ago with a West Coast school (Arizona or UCLA)?

It happens.

The article was a bit biased for BR and against MU, "Marquette's sins"  was one phrase I saw and was like..."hmm, a little harsh."

It's recruiting, nothing is guaranteed.  I thought it is good that it did happen this way so that BR could still sign with someone else or go prep school and a better fit for him.

Marquette University, Spring '08

feedback