'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Transfer Portal  (Read 157115 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: 2024 Transfer Portal
« Reply #1975 on: May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM »
The Wisconsin way.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #1976 on: Today at 09:41:11 AM »
Never said that using the portal is a virtue, and not using the portal is a shortcoming.  Just taking issue with the implication that not using the portal, or having no transfers in or out this season, is something to crow about.  Shaka's job is the same as every other coach:  Put together the best roster you can.  If the best roster he can put together is by keeping all of his players and not bringing in transfers, then that's good.  If you have a chance to add talent to the roster via the portal and you choose not to, you better be correct about what you have.

Virtue signaling on Shaka not using the portal is pointless.  The proof will be in the pudding, one way or the other.

1). If you don't see the value in Shaka's approach, you don't know ball. Of course no one approach guarantees a high quality roster, no need to state the obvious.

2). Using the phrase "virtue signaling" is the ultimate virtue signal.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1977 on: Today at 10:04:48 AM »
I understand the Nutty argument.  I am neutral on the portal.   It is the system that currently exists. When MU has a number of players enter the portal, I expect they will be be replaced by players from the portal.     
   Until that time, I will enjoy watching the retention and development philosophy.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1978 on: Today at 11:16:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1786424988662149603?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Max Shulga to Nova.  One of the better shooters in the portal, Neptune still has a ways to go.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1979 on: Today at 11:52:23 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/vcu-transfer-max-shulga-gives-villanova-playmaking-and-shooting-as-its-roster-continues-to-take-shape/ar-AA1o6b5I

Nova still has a bunch of roster spots open, contingent upon what Dixon and Armstrong decide.      Lucky them.   

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #1980 on: Today at 12:26:57 PM »
I understand the Nutty argument.  I am neutral on the portal.   It is the system that currently exists. When MU has a number of players enter the portal, I expect they will be be replaced by players from the portal.     
   Until that time, I will enjoy watching the retention and development philosophy.
Time will tell. As restrictions on movement are eliminated, and bags become available, it will become apparent whether you can be more successful with continuity than yearly reloading via portal free agency. If continuity proves successful, different types of coaches will be more likely to be elevated. Coaches that are actually liked by players and good for their development become more employable and a-holes less. Before, the a-holes could hide behind restrictions on player movement.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #1981 on: Today at 01:20:27 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/vcu-transfer-max-shulga-gives-villanova-playmaking-and-shooting-as-its-roster-continues-to-take-shape/ar-AA1o6b5I

Nova still has a bunch of roster spots open, contingent upon what Dixon and Armstrong decide.      Lucky them.

I’m surprised Armstrong is still out there.  I think he’s really good.