[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OFFICIATING  (Read 10117 times)

DarkWarrior

• Starter
OFFICIATING
« on: January 26, 2019, 03:46:30 PM »
I know we are not supposed to whine about the officials. I know WOJO and the players have to avoid the topic.

But, How can officiating be this bad and this one-sided?

I liked the fact the WOJO and the Team remained centered despite X's 6th man, the officials.

tower912

• All American
Re: OFFICIATING
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 03:53:33 PM »
Honestly,  officiating  has been so poor all year that I could not get upset today.  The team played through it.  Matt stepped up when Morrow did not.  The team gets it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 03:54:05 PM »
Sam got hit in the face and the ref five feet away didn’t call it until Wojo lost his sh!t.

How do you miss that?!?!? 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 04:05:38 PM »
I thought the reffing was awful both ways.  They let everything go on both sides.  I don't think either team made it to the bonus in the first half, and I don't think either team was in the bonus until about 3:30 left in the second half.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 04:06:47 PM »
I thought the reffing was awful both ways.  They let everything go on both sides.  I don't think either team made it to the bonus in the first half, and I don't think either team was in the bonus until about 3:30 left in the second half.

Yep

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 04:07:52 PM »
Only the strong survive.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 04:14:38 PM »
The reffing has been consistent most of the year from terrible to poor.  Feel terrible for the bad calls on Theo.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 04:16:06 PM »
Is John Cahill still in charge of Big East refs?  He was garbage as an official so I guess it makes sense it’s been so bad.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 04:43:46 PM »
I may be in the minority, but I thought the officiating was fine, 31 total fouls, including a T on X.  They clearly let both teams play, which was fine IMO.  Felt like an old school Beast game,, nice change of pace.   
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 04:48:34 PM »

This. The refs definitely hurt us and were calling things differently (Theo with numerous Fezzik Fouls) but they also hurt Xavier similarly. Both teams have a case to complain about the refs today.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 04:53:55 PM »

I thought the reffing was awful both ways. 

This. The phantom calls on Theo, the ridiculously quick T on Steele, and many other head-scratchers.

Both teams have plenty to criticize...which means neither team was robbed.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 05:29:50 PM »
I didn't think it was bad officiating, they let both sides play. Plenty of times they could have dinged us when they didn't. Only exception was with Theo. I think 4/5 of his fouls were softer than most of what the refs were calling today.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 05:32:12 PM »
Is John Cahill still in charge of Big East refs?  He was garbage as an official so I guess it makes sense it’s been so bad.

Yes
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 05:36:12 PM »
agreed you can argue, if you want, that the reffing was poor, but pretty hard to argue it was bias or unfair towards Marquette.   im sure the X fans have a list of the calls they thought were really bad a s well.  Gottlieb did a pretty good job of pointing them out on each side.  Hard to arge the refs were against you when u get a tech in the last 4 mins in ur favor
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 05:56:07 PM »
I didn't think it was bad officiating, they let both sides play. Plenty of times they could have dinged us when they didn't. Only exception was with Theo. I think 4/5 of his fouls were softer than most of what the refs were calling today.

But isn't inconsistent officiating "bad" by definition?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 05:59:10 PM »
If you take the way they officiated Theo out of the mix the officiating was "fine". I continue to be flabbergasted by the way Theo is officiated, dude gets whistled simply for existing within a physical space
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 06:04:33 PM »
agreed you can argue, if you want, that the reffing was poor, but pretty hard to argue it was bias or unfair towards Marquette.   im sure the X fans have a list of the calls they thought were really bad a s well.  Gottlieb did a pretty good job of pointing them out on each side.  Hard to arge the refs were against you when u get a tech in the last 4 mins in ur favor

But they immediately did a makeup call on that Technical foul with the phantom offensive foul on Sam.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 06:07:29 PM »
I don’t think it was a quick T. I think they gave Steele a long leash on an earlier call. I think he overstepped a second time and they called the T.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 06:10:18 PM »
But isn't inconsistent officiating "bad" by definition?

I thought it was consistent on both sides. There were bad calls on them too...ours just all happened to be contained to one player.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 06:13:24 PM »
Very consistently bad.  Must be NFL refs doing NCAA b-ball on the side🤯🤬🤯
don't...don't don't don't don't

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 06:19:50 PM »
Very consistently bad.  Must be NFL refs doing NCAA b-ball on the side🤯🤬🤯

Actually they are in some cases.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 06:22:07 PM »
I thought it was consistent on both sides. There were bad calls on them too...ours just all happened to be contained to one player.

Consistent on both sides...but you said earlier that they let most guys play, but called phantom stuff on Theo. Consistently inconsistent?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 06:29:57 PM »
Actually they are in some cases.

Yikes!  Now we are getting to the root of the problem.  The non-call on Sam was grounds for dismissal of said ref(s) upon further review. That is malpractice right there. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 06:39:31 PM »
I may be in the minority, but I thought the officiating was fine, 31 total fouls, including a T on X.  They clearly let both teams play, which was fine IMO.  Felt like an old school Beast game,, nice change of pace.

There was a rush of fouls at the end of the game.  Don't let those totals skew you.  7 total fouls in the first half and neither team in the bonus till well after the midway point of the second half.  They didn't call squat, and then were extremely inconsistent with what they did call.

Markus got sent to the line twice on fouls I thought were weak as he was out of control, but they ignored 4-5 other times he got hammered.  They were AWFUL.

"Old school BEast" doesn't have a upper level defensive center get fouled out on 3-4 ticky tack calls so bad that the color guy can't stop talking about how bad they were

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 07:20:33 PM »
Consistent on both sides...but you said earlier that they let most guys play, but called phantom stuff on Theo. Consistently inconsistent?
I agree with tamu...they let then play...with the exception of theo.  You can decide if that makes them good or bad or inconsistent...

feedback