[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Purnell's Days Numbered, DePaul to Target Howland  (Read 9573 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Purnell's Days Numbered, DePaul to Target Howland
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2014, 08:20:57 PM »
I think Howland can get a much better job than DePaul, why put up with that mess?

Agree.  DePaul needs much more than just a new arena.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2014, 08:52:10 PM »
They better get somebody.  Just watched some of the Depaul-Seton Hall game and seriously, there are like 1,000 people in attendance.  Actually, it may even be less. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2014, 09:31:34 PM »
Another dagger to the heart of the DePaul basketball team.  Had a 10 point lead in the first half, and are now down 6 to Seton Hall. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2014, 10:14:36 PM »
Not while Lenti-Ponsetto allocates a large chunk of the Big East cash and most of her time and attention to the non-revenue programs.

Until Jean Lenti-Ponsetto is gone, sorry to day, DePaul will be a doormat in the Big East. I think she's afraid men's basketball again may someday eclipse women's basketball at DePaul.

Ray Meyer must be rolling over in his grave and poking the top trying to get out and scream, "stop the madness!"

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2014, 10:28:46 PM »
If Purnell is fired, is Garrett Sr. retained as an assistant coach, in order to keep his kid at DePaul?

Class71

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2014, 10:59:52 PM »

Ouch.

Agree, ouch. Let's see are they relevant? How about a 2 point game against us? There is relatively little difference between 8 of 10 teams in the BE on many nights. Think our focus should be on how we improve. The other teams will develop, rest assure. They have the same financial incentives we have.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2014, 12:35:46 AM »
How land is one of the top three highest paid public employees in CA along with Mike Montgomery (Cal).
SS Marquette

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2014, 06:41:28 AM »
Until Jean Lenti-Ponsetto is gone, sorry to day, DePaul will be a doormat in the Big East. I think she's afraid men's basketball again may someday eclipse women's basketball at DePaul.

Ray Meyer must be rolling over in his grave and poking the top trying to get out and scream, "stop the madness!"

I am not even sure she is the problem.  There needs to be a University-wide commitment to the program. The AD and the Coach are very, very important but there is more to it than that. There are a a lot of intangibles there.  One just has to look at our new BE brethren such as Xavier, Butler, and to a lesser extent Creighton.  They have had successful programs despite multiple coaches and ADs over many years. 

That being said, the BE needs doormats too.  Perhaps this year there is too much parity.   :P

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2014, 10:11:46 AM »
If Purnell is fired, is Garrett Sr. retained as an assistant coach, in order to keep his kid at DePaul?
A big fat, resounding "yes."

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »
She is the problem. The AD should be fired and replaced, then get a new coach. She has done NOTHING to improve that program and should be tossed out.

And that's why DePaul will stay DePaul.  The DePaul president was just tickled to give her a five year contract extension because she didn't ask for any raises during the contract.  At least Lenti-Ponsetto was clever enough to pass on raises in order to get a contract that runs well past the time that DePaul will be able to keep her.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »

I can just hear the DePaul administration making its pitch to Howland and other coaching candidates.  "Oh, and you'll have to agree to keep this guy with no college experience prior to last year on staff as one of your three assistants."
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2014, 05:32:59 PM »

feedback