[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Enough of Jake  (Read 9315 times)

murara1994

• Starter
Re: Enough of Jake
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 01:54:58 PM »
Morons? I think you need to prepare yourself brosef. New Mexico may be a must win. If they lose that's 1-5 vs top 100 teams. They'd have to play very well in conference to make it with that resume.
Brosef - win or lose against New Mexico we will have to play very well in conference.  The expectation is that we will.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 03:28:19 PM »
Enough of the anti-jake threads

Besides the ugly lob entry pass, Jake played great yesterday. Great defense, saw him slide under and stop their 6"9 center from get an easy layup. Went 2/2 from 3 and spread the defense way out. Why do you think Davante was having a field day and Jamil was trying to dunk everything in sight?

The kid works hard and has great talent. Buzz knows how to run this team better than any of us
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 03:32:35 PM »
If Jake had great talent he wouldn't be a walk on.

Again, the guy is shooting 32% overall from the field...and 38 from 3.

Do you realize how bad his 2 pt shooting has to be to get that number?

The guy simply cannot do anything on offense except stand in one spot, pray his defender checks out a babe in the stands so he can shoot a wide open 3 and hope hes in the midst of his good streaky shooting.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »
...but, as opposed to Todd, he shows up every practice.    As opposed to JaJuan, he understands all of the permutations of both the offense and defense.    I agree that both Todd and JJJ have more raw talent.   When they start producing in practice the right way every day, I predict one will take the starting job.    Don't hate on Jake.   Hate on Todd and JJJ for not seizing the opportunity.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:50:38 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 04:04:39 PM »
...but, as opposed to Todd, he shows up every practice.    As opposed to Juan, he understands all of the permutations of both the offense and defense.    I agree that both Todd and JJJ have more raw talent.   When they start producing in practice the right way every day, I predict one will take the starting job.    Don't hate on Jake.   Hate on Todd and JJJ for not seizing the opportunity. 

+1

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 06:51:39 PM »
...but, as opposed to Todd, he shows up every practice.    As opposed to JaJuan, he understands all of the permutations of both the offense and defense.    I agree that both Todd and JJJ have more raw talent.   When they start producing in practice the right way every day, I predict one will take the starting job.    Don't hate on Jake.   Hate on Todd and JJJ for not seizing the opportunity.  

I couldn't care less if Todd is late to practice. I still wanna see him play over jake.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 06:54:02 PM »
I couldn't care less if Todd is late to practice. I still wanna see him play over jake.

Good thing you aren't coaching the team then.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »
My point is I think character issues are overrated. Let the better player play

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 06:59:29 PM »
My point is I think character issues are overrated. Let the better player play

REAL good thing you aren't the coach then.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 07:02:12 PM »

REAL good thing you aren't the coach then.

You're right about me not coaching but say Todd was as good as vander. You're telling me you wouldn't play him because jakes the better person

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »
You're right about me not coaching but say Todd was as good as vander. You're telling me you wouldn't play him because jakes the better person

I wouldn't want anyone to get extra time despite being a chronic offender of team rules.  That's a long term loss.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 08:17:55 PM »

The guy simply cannot do anything on offense except stand in one spot, pray his defender checks out a babe in the stands so he can shoot a wide open 3 and hope hes in the midst of his good streaky shooting.

Do you not realize what having a guy like Jake on the floor does for the rest of the team offensively? His defender has to be on him like white on...well...Jake. It creates space in the post. Take Jake out of the equation and who fills that role? The only other close to consistent 3P shooter we have is Jamil and he needs to play another part.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 09:57:16 PM »
Enough of the anti-jake threads

Besides the ugly lob entry pass, Jake played great yesterday. Great defense, saw him slide under and stop their 6"9 center from get an easy layup. Went 2/2 from 3 and spread the defense way out. Why do you think Davante was having a field day and Jamil was trying to dunk everything in sight?

The kid works hard and has great talent. Buzz knows how to run this team better than any of us

You might have had me leaning toward your point of view until the "great talent" line.

Jake does not even have good talent, and one would be stretching the truth to say he has average high-major 2-guard talent.

Once conference play arrived last season, he couldn't get into games for a very good team because he didn't deserve to. He plays too many minutes this season for a (so far) better than average team. He has one skill and isn't doing it particularly well, especially against actual varsity competition.

Great talent? What the heck does Marcus Smart have then? Double-secret great talent?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 07:44:05 AM »
Offensively Jake is a one trick pony, and if that shot isn't falling, he is pretty much useless.  Defensively he is smart and in the right place, which is more than I can say for our freshmen...but the freshmen are learning.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2013, 09:47:15 AM »
Offensively Jake is a one trick pony, and if that shot isn't falling, he is pretty much useless.  Defensively he is smart and in the right place, which is more than I can say for our freshmen...but the freshmen are learning.

This is very much how I feel. Though I still want to see more out of Mayo. As good as the freshmen are, I am hoping Todd can come through consistently. Maybe that's a vain hope. Burton is clearly a man-child and this stage is not too big for him, while JJJ is really starting to come around. There are plenty of options, I'm sure Buzz will figure out which is the best as the season (and the kids) develops.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2013, 10:04:16 AM »

IIRC, Jake has been on scholarship his entire tenure at MU.  I know for certain that he was on schollie last year and is this year, as well.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2013, 10:04:53 AM »
IIRC, Jake has been on scholarship his entire tenure at MU.  I know for certain that he was on schollie last year and is this year, as well.

Only because of unforeseen departures.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 10:21:27 AM »

Only because of unforeseen departures.
True, and he would not even be here this season but for Vander's early departure as he had announced he was leaving before Vander's decision.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2013, 11:50:09 AM »

This is it.  Exactly.

Until someone steps up to play more consistently, Jake will play.
Wrong again. I don't understand this consistency argument. Consistently below average? And how can someone step up and get a chance to play more consistently when they never get the minutes that Jake does. You can't be more consistent from the bench. I'm sure Thomas is our best player in practice, but it's just not quite translating in games.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2013, 12:16:39 PM »

Alerting the media.  I believe this might be the most positive Jake comment you've made.   :)

I too look forward to when Jake can fill a specialty role, even if he remains a starter.  I must say his floor leadership is valuable in the minutes he's out there.  I suspect he too wishes God had given him a bit more natural ability.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2013, 12:18:07 PM »
Wrong again. I don't understand this consistency argument. Consistently below average? And how can someone step up and get a chance to play more consistently when they never get the minutes that Jake does. You can't be more consistent from the bench. I'm sure Thomas is our best player in practice, but it's just not quite translating in games.
Especially against the best opponents.  in the 3 games against Top 20 teams, Jake has played 83 minutes resulting in 7 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists and 5 turnovers.  The game at ASU was the outlier, though Jake did have a very unproductive first half prior to going off in the 2nd half after MU was far down.

MaymonsPops

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2013, 12:20:44 PM »
Jake had 6 points 4 rebounds 2 assists and 2 steals today in 15 minutes and didn't miss a shot.

That is 16 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists and 5 steals per 40 minutes.

Quite a solid game for a role player.

He also, as others have noted, does all the little things right.  People need to quit complaining about Jake.

This is hillarious. I don't think there needs to be hate threads made about the kid, but extrapolating a per 40 minute stat line from 15 minutes against IUPUI (#277 Kenpom) as any indication of if he helps/hurts Marquette has got me howlin'.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »

You do realize I typed this in response to the following post right?:

"We should grab onto this stat line like manna from heaven and hope for it every game.  My fear is going back to lines like we had against UW.  Seriously, I don't care if Jake starts or comes down from the rafters.  2-2 from 3 with 4 rebounds and 2 steals in 15 minutes!  What more do you want?"

JJJ and Todd both played more minutes than Jake.  So I am not sure what I can be wrong about, when you are the one with factual errors in your post.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2013, 12:31:27 PM »
Wow, some of you people are just idiotic.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2013, 12:44:45 PM »

You do realize I typed this in response to the following post right?:

"We should grab onto this stat line like manna from heaven and hope for it every game.  My fear is going back to lines like we had against UW.  Seriously, I don't care if Jake starts or comes down from the rafters.  2-2 from 3 with 4 rebounds and 2 steals in 15 minutes!  What more do you want?"

JJJ and Todd both played more minutes than Jake.  So I am not sure what I can be wrong about, when you are the one with factual errors in your post.
You are saying that it would be ideal for Jake to play only 15 minutes, but that he'll continue to play more minutes until someone shows more "consistency." And yes, Todd and JJJ played more minutes--finally--in the last game and lo and behold were better. So I'm not sure that Jake should be playing more minutes still since JJJ and Mayo are in the process of showing that they can be more consistent. I guess I just don't understand your assertion that Jake will continue to play more than 15 minutes based on the performance of Mayo and JJJ last game.