'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Enough of Jake  (Read 9314 times)

mufvr

• Walk-On
Enough of Jake
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:22:37 PM »
After ten games, there is no further justification to continue starting and providing significant minutes to Jake Thomas.  Besides being a sporadic three point shooter, he provides nothing to this team offensively.  I realize that the freshmen still have a lot to learn, but anybody that has watched Burton and J3 play can't help but see the potential and the tremendous talent upgrade.  It's time to relegate Jake to the bench and play the Mayo and the freshmen and let them develop.  Without at least one guard that poses an offensive threat, we will be mediocre in conference play and will be NIT bound.

jsglow

• All American
Re: Enough of Jake
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 09:30:48 PM »
Jake played 15 minutes today.  Only John played fewer minutes at guard today. 

Oh, and his defensive positioning remains solid and his ball handling good. Today he was also 2-2 from the 3-pt line.  Jake continues to earn Senior minutes and might be starting to find a role.

Of course the Freshmen have more talent.  And they'll continue to emerge over time.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 09:32:13 PM »
After ten games, there is no further justification to continue starting and providing significant minutes to Jake Thomas.  Besides being a sporadic three point shooter, he provides nothing to this team offensively.  I realize that the freshmen still have a lot to learn, but anybody that has watched Burton and J3 play can't help but see the potential and the tremendous talent upgrade.  It's time to relegate Jake to the bench and play the Mayo and the freshmen and let them develop.  Without at least one guard that poses an offensive threat, we will be mediocre in conference play and will be NIT bound.

Why don't you walk up to Buzz's office on Monday, telll him he is fired, and appoint yourself coach.

Lighten up Francis.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 09:42:07 PM »
Why don't you walk up to Buzz's office on Monday, telll him he is fired, and appoint yourself coach.

Lighten up Francis.

Seize the open AD position, fire the coach, and usurp the coaching position as well?  Now that is badass.

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 09:48:52 PM »
seriously? I know IUPUI sucks bit i figured a 36 point win would calm the "NIT bound"  morons for at least a day

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 09:49:29 PM »
Go total Terminator mode. Take over all of Mu's leadership positions available, they are ripe for the taking!
Goal is National Championship

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 09:50:26 PM »

Larry?? Is that you, Larry??

Death on call

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 10:13:54 PM »
It's been mentioned before and I will say it again--- Let the freshmen get their feet wet.
If Burton, Johnson andDuane (when healthy) are all their hyped up to be then let's
play 'em. Juan should play more and shoot more. He's on a roll. Sometime's I think
Buzz over coaches. (I do like him) Best coach we had in years.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 10:16:31 PM »
Best coach we had in years.

Since the spring of 1977

Death on call

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 10:20:41 PM »
Jake should have a role off the bench. He should come in when we need a spark with set screen plays for him to hit some threes.  But that is a role for later in the season once the freshman get better acclimated to the offense and get some playing time.  In the meantime until that happens, he'll be in there more often as a good option.  His defense is much improved from last year so he isn't a defensive liability and he is hitting threes.  But that's just opinion.  Let's see how it plays out in January and beyond. 

mutrainer71

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 11:19:29 PM »
Trying his best...but...that's what you get with a WALK ON. 

raul

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 11:49:33 PM »
Jake played fine today. He does the little things like blocking out and he is always that 3 point threat so teams don't pack it in the middle so much. I don't think he should play 30 min. (15 is perfect ) but starting is no big deal as far as I'm concerned.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 12:06:28 AM »
Jake had 6 points 4 rebounds 2 assists and 2 steals today in 15 minutes and didn't miss a shot.

That is 16 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists and 5 steals per 40 minutes.

Quite a solid game for a role player.

He also, as others have noted, does all the little things right.  People need to quit complaining about Jake.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 05:34:38 AM »
Jake had 6 points 4 rebounds 2 assists and 2 steals today in 15 minutes and didn't miss a shot.

That is 16 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists and 5 steals per 40 minutes.

Quite a solid game for a role player.

He also, as others have noted, does all the little things right.  People need to quit complaining about Jake.

Problem is HE ISNT A ROLE PLAYER
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

connie

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 06:08:09 AM »
We should grab onto this stat line like manna from heaven and hope for it every game.  My fear is going back to lines like we had against UW.  Seriously, I don't care if Jake starts or comes down from the rafters.  2-2 from 3 with 4 rebounds and 2 steals in 15 minutes!  What more do you want?
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 08:42:02 AM »
i hope jake reads this board just to prove the naysayers they are full of it.  he's a hard working, tough nosed kid who has the ability to knock a few game changers down just to give the proverbial finger to all the monday morning shooting guards. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 08:49:07 AM »

He also, as others have noted, does all the little things right. 

Well, he did have a weak entry pass that was easily stolen and was called out for it by O'Neill. He also let his man beat him on the baseline.

That's nitpicking, I know, but it's also two examples in 15 minutes of play of two little things he did wrong.

I agree with those who think 15 minutes should be his ceiling. Playing on a very good team last year, he couldn't get off the bench during the conference season because there were too many better than him on the depth chart and his skills were too limited. We will be a better team this season if that again is the case.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »
We should grab onto this stat line like manna from heaven and hope for it every game.  My fear is going back to lines like we had against UW.  Seriously, I don't care if Jake starts or comes down from the rafters.  2-2 from 3 with 4 rebounds and 2 steals in 15 minutes!  What more do you want?

What more do I want?

Him doing it against a team that isn't special ed.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »
Buzz over coaches. (I do like him) Best coach we had in years.

Wow.  If you think Buzz over coaches Crean must have made you crazy.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »
Problem is HE ISNT A ROLE PLAYER

News flash.  Role players often start.  You don't have to be a star to be a starter.  Look at the Miami Heat.  Stars Lebron/Wade/Bosh.  Other two are role players.

MU has Jamil/Gardner as the stars...after that largely role players.  Burton is stepping up so that later on this season it will look like....   Jamil/Gardner/Burton as stars other two will be role players but still starting.

As for the weak entry pass.  Yes, partially on him, but it was being thrown to Otule...you can't fire that one in.  It was thrown to an undefended baseline if Otule comes to the ball instead of leaning away from the pass there is no problem...50/50 on both of them.  Probably better to have not passed it into the post in that scenario.

As for doing it against a team that isn't IUPUI...He did it against Arizona St and no one cared..He did it against George Washington and no one cared.  It seems that some are just going to fault him no matter what he actually does performance wise.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 11:57:03 AM »
seriously? I know IUPUI sucks bit i figured a 36 point win would calm the "NIT bound"  morons for at least a day

Morons? I think you need to prepare yourself brosef. New Mexico may be a must win. If they lose that's 1-5 vs top 100 teams. They'd have to play very well in conference to make it with that resume.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 01:01:21 PM »
News flash.  Role players often start.  You don't have to be a star to be a starter.  Look at the Miami Heat.  Stars Lebron/Wade/Bosh.  Other two are role players.

MU has Jamil/Gardner as the stars...after that largely role players.  Burton is stepping up so that later on this season it will look like....   Jamil/Gardner/Burton as stars other two will be role players but still starting.

As for the weak entry pass.  Yes, partially on him, but it was being thrown to Otule...you can't fire that one in.  It was thrown to an undefended baseline if Otule comes to the ball instead of leaning away from the pass there is no problem...50/50 on both of them.  Probably better to have not passed it into the post in that scenario.

As for doing it against a team that isn't IUPUI...He did it against Arizona St and no one cared..He did it against George Washington and no one cared.  It seems that some are just going to fault him no matter what he actually does performance wise.

News flash. He's 3rd on the team in minutes and starts with other "role" players.

You can't call a starter a role player when he plays more than almost the entire team alongside other guys who can't score the basketball

Does he have a Lebron/Wade/Bosh?

What god awful comparison.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 01:28:09 PM »
We should grab onto this stat line like manna from heaven and hope for it every game.  My fear is going back to lines like we had against UW.  Seriously, I don't care if Jake starts or comes down from the rafters.  2-2 from 3 with 4 rebounds and 2 steals in 15 minutes!  What more do you want?

This is it.  Exactly.

Until someone steps up to play more consistently, Jake will play.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
Sultan

I will bet you a burger that JT's minutes are under 15/game come conference play. Mayo, JJJ and DuWilson will get his minutes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 01:50:53 PM »
Sultan

I will bet you a burger that JT's minutes are under 15/game come conference play. Mayo, JJJ and DuWilson will get his minutes.

I hope you are right.  That means others are getting better.

feedback