'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz is a great recruiter... period  (Read 12105 times)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Buzz is a great recruiter... period
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
I am very sad to see Liam's career over because I was really excited to see him play (and I wish him all the luck).  But I am really happy to see how committed Buzz is to develop a balanced team by bringing in a center with one center leaving.  I am not saying the tallest team wins but a balanced attack gives the best odds of winning. 

I think in one year, Buzz has addressed just about every issue with this team.  Who knows how good the team will be but we have players for every position.  We have the projects.  We have the talent.  We have the sleepers.  If we luck out on the sleepers/projects, we might have something special in the works.  For a guy who is not a BIG TIME coach at a BIG TIME school, I give Buzz an A+ for recruiting.  (Who knows, he might pull in Painter.) 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

MUCam

• All American
Re: Buzz is a great recruiter... period
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:56:04 PM »
I am estatic about Buzz's recruiting. He clearly can sell it when it is there to be sold. That said, wait a couple years before you call him a "great recruiter."

Marquette has become a nationally recognized program once again. You can see that in press coverage both locally and nationally. You can see it in comments made by coaches, recruits and players around the country. Has Marquette "made it," or "arrived?" Maybe not to the top/elite level, but the program is certainly closing in. There is no doubt it is a top 20 program in the country. What does this all have to do with Buzz's recruiting? Well, Buzz has been able to sell top-flight playing time at a top-flight program. You simply cannot disregard how important availability of playing time has been to the 2009 recruiting class successes.

Before the coronation ceremony that names Buzz a great recruiter, let's see what he brings in next year and the year after that. If Buzz can continue his excellent recruiting for the 2010 and 2011 classes, despite having reduced ability to pitch playing time, then I'll call him a "great" recruiter.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 12:33:13 AM »
Let's just agree that given the time on the job, Buzz has done an excellent job, and he is off to a great start.  This is goodness. 

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 09:03:43 AM »
I agree 100% with ErickJD... the Liam situation was one where, if Crean were at the helm he would have thrown the scholly at a Blackledge/Lott-level JUCO this late in the signing period.  Instead Buzz was able to reel in a 7 footer with tons of upside and the ability to make at least a marginal immediate impact.

I also hate the argument, "He can sell when there's PT, but let's see what he can do down the line."  In case anyone missed it, there are four starting spots open next year.  Buzz is bringing in five players with four-star level talent next year.  One of them will have to sit.  Then Aaron Bowen - another four-strar recruit - is being brought in behind them.  That's what great recruiters do.  They are able to sell top 100 talent when there isn't an open spot.

Bowen's freshman year, there will be six four star talents, a three star center, and a player with huge upside in Jimmy Butler.  There are only 5 starting spots for those eight players.  Three will have to sit to start the game, and they know that coming in.  Face it - Buzz is a GREAT recruiter.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:10:41 PM »
It is easy to recruit for an open spot. What Buzz has done is assembled in my opinion the deepest team ever at MU. McGuire had his great starting line ups, but did not have a lot of talent after that. Practices will be competitive and hopefully that translates into rapid improvement. The question I have is whether Buzz will utilize all the players or quickly widdle the playing time down to 7 players. You can expect transfers if some of these new players do not get off the pine. McMorrow will never play a game for MU, but I bet he was a tremondous asset in recruiting. One of the things Buzz needed to sell recurits was that MU was still going to be a good team. I can see Buzz telling potential recruits that he had this 7' footer red shirting that was going to be really good. I may be wrong, but I think McMorrow had a positive effect on this recruiting class.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 12:12:51 PM »
I am estatic about Buzz's recruiting. He clearly can sell it when it is there to be sold. That said, wait a couple years before you call him a "great recruiter."

Marquette has become a nationally recognized program once again. You can see that in press coverage both locally and nationally. You can see it in comments made by coaches, recruits and players around the country. Has Marquette "made it," or "arrived?" Maybe not to the top/elite level, but the program is certainly closing in. There is no doubt it is a top 20 program in the country. What does this all have to do with Buzz's recruiting? Well, Buzz has been able to sell top-flight playing time at a top-flight program. You simply cannot disregard how important availability of playing time has been to the 2009 recruiting class successes.

Before the coronation ceremony that names Buzz a great recruiter, let's see what he brings in next year and the year after that. If Buzz can continue his excellent recruiting for the 2010 and 2011 classes, despite having reduced ability to pitch playing time, then I'll call him a "great" recruiter.

Mucam you are lost.....buzz is a great recruiter evaluating them 2-3 years down the raod has nothing to do with beng a great recruiter..these 7 kids had all the best programs in the country going after them and he got them.  there are always going to be guys that dont pan out Duke, UnC , Kansas etc. have and have had tons of players like that that does not take away from the fact that when they were juniors and seniors in HS or Juco they were recruiited by the whos who and that particular coach got them.  regardless of how these kids turn out they had tons of offers, Buzz getting a guy like Junior when memphis and Louisville offered him ids exeptional,  same with the rest.  

Also the playing time argument is truly retarded.  we have solid players coming back and we have 7 recruits fro 5 spots.... sure there is playing time but only so much..

lastly you reference how will the 2010 class look....well i guess you have not been paying attention but we already have 2 4 star prospects in the fold.   and by the looks of it we aint adding no stumblbum with the last scholly.  

give it a rest. buzz is recruiting as well as any school in the country!!!!!!!!!!!!

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 12:50:21 PM »
Thanks for your intelligent input, Mr. Hayward. Per the usual, it is highlighted with "my way or the highway" rhetoric.

I have been officially put in place by your persuasive words. I hereby relinquish my prior opinion and stand ready to state, "Buzz is a great recruiter."

Thanks for the guidance. I will indeed give it a rest, for as where once I was lost, now I can see. Thank you again.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:52:13 PM by MUCam »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 01:33:49 PM »
That's been Buzz's rep from day one when Crean hired him....great great recruiter.  It's why Gillespie wanted him at Kentucky.  Its why Crean wanted him at MU and then at IU.  If he can keep the guys happy (as Bilsu suggests), he'll really have something going.  Hopefully a 10 man rotation, that would be awesome to see.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 06:28:39 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 01:38:59 PM »
Thanks for your intelligent input, Mr. Hayward. Per the usual, it is highlighted with "my way or the highway" rhetoric.

I have been officially put in place by your persuasive words. I hereby relinquish my prior opinion and stand ready to state, "Buzz is a great recruiter."

Thanks for the guidance. I will indeed give it a rest, for as where once I was lost, now I can see. Thank you again.

I have Hayward on ignore so I can't read his crap, but all you have to know is his philosophy.  He has a win at all costs mindset.  Some of us believe in other things like graduation rates, good citizenship, etc.  But he doesn't.

This post from the JS pretty much sums his attitude up

MrHayward» Report abuse Friday May 08, 2009 11:49 AM
So we run a few off that didn't cut it. Big deal. Don't be a baby.

Crean did it. Buzz does it. That's how we roll. Look at stupid UW-Madison stuck with bad players on the bench. We don't have that problem which is why we will be a better program som day. It's not all about the kids, some times it's about winning.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 02:19:56 PM »
I have Hayward on ignore so I can't read his crap, but all you have to know is his philosophy.  He has a win at all costs mindset.  Some of us believe in other things like graduation rates, good citizenship, etc.  But he doesn't.

This post from the JS pretty much sums his attitude up

MrHayward» Report abuse Friday May 08, 2009 11:49 AM
So we run a few off that didn't cut it. Big deal. Don't be a baby.

Crean did it. Buzz does it. That's how we roll. Look at stupid UW-Madison stuck with bad players on the bench. We don't have that problem which is why we will be a better program som day. It's not all about the kids, some times it's about winning.

why ignore people?  can't handle their views?

(apparently I have offended 4 people now)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 02:30:06 PM »

With Hayward it's his inability to grasp the basics of spelling and grammar.  I literally can't read his posts, so ignoring him removes some of the clutter from the forums.

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 03:12:45 PM »
Lets see how Buzz's recruits do before we consider him the second coming. Time will tell
everything.
Tradition Never Graduates..

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 03:22:33 PM »

I can handle their views just fine.  He's the only one I ignore as my brain explodes trying to interpret what he is attempting to say grammatically with a thirty sentence paragraph.  Throw in his spelling, logic and factual fallacies and the choice is easy.....ignore.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Lets see how Buzz's recruits do before we consider him the second coming. Time will tell
everything.

Don't let Lenny see your post, you will be accused of not supporting Buzz.  Or worse, giving him a back handed complement.  :o

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 03:43:56 PM »
everything.

Yes.
And no.

Obviously the quality of Buzz's first recruiting class ultimately will be determined by how well they perform.

However, in terms of filling needs and landing highly sought-after talent (sometimes on very short notice of an opening), Buzz has done an outstanding job.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »
Yes.
And no.

Obviously the quality of Buzz's first recruiting class ultimately will be determined by how well they perform.

However, in terms of filling needs and landing highly sought-after talent (sometimes on very short notice of an opening), Buzz has done an outstanding job.

I'll agree with this.

I really like the type and amount of talent that appears to be coming in (Buzz has done well), but players are ultimately judged when they leave school, not when they arrive (still TBD).

I'm optimistic.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 04:32:25 PM »
So far, so good. Let's see how this class does on the court and in the classroom. Recruiting a good player that is a good student is tough. The classroom means less to me but realize many on here it means a great deal. At this point my gut tells me I will be happy and others might be unhappy with the classroom. Just my gut feeling.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 05:03:42 PM »
I too am an optimist, but I don't follow the captain when the ship sinks.  That is why I agree with whoever said players are remembered when the leave the court, not when they enter. 

That being said Buzz has done a fantastic job in his first recruiting class.  I do not believe he was recruiting playing time, I believe he was recruiting playing time with HARD WORK and PATIENCE. 

He has this unique story about how he started from low and worked his way up, and I think that is carrying through to the players, especially in recruiting.  True, 4 starting spots are open, but he is bringing in more than 4 potential starters freshman year.  I think he sells the work hard and be rewarded montra much more readily than just P.T.

But, we must wait and see-although this class has surpassed anything I could have imagined or hoped for.
Marquette University, Spring '08

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 06:50:32 PM »
I am not buying into this whole PT stuff.  Maybe with Junior and Maymon since many would consider those to be the gems of the class and their natural position are where we have the biggest problems on our roster (I would put money that both of them start next season).  But all the other players are not locks to start by any stretch of the imagination.  DJ, Buycks, and Butler are going to battle for the starting spot.  Mboa and Otule are going to battle.  Hayward's a no brainer.  And lets not forget that E Will will want a spot too.  OH YEAH, if the interview is accurate at all (Buzz hasn't waffled yet) Fulce might come around be "as advertised"(pre injury) better than Jimmy Butler. 

The situation is that there are four open starting spots.  We have three talented freshmen that COULD start and two highly regarded JUCO's who can come in and play right away.  You can't recruit around PT the whole time.  Now when you think about the 2010 picks, there is no way Buzz can sell PT.  I am really excited to hear reports on our kids.  AND I hope Buzz pulls in one more talent like Painter or something.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 09:25:16 PM »
the JS online post was not mine nor do i feel that way i dont post on their

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 11:42:59 PM »
Don't let Lenny see your post, you will be accused of not supporting Buzz.  Or worse, giving him a back handed complement.  :o

This is tiresome but let me try to explain one more time.

We agree that TC is the most successful MU coach in the post McGuire era. Recruiting and coaching were the most important factors in determining this success. Buzz has proven to my satisfaction he is TC's superior in both of these. In addition, he is, in my view, a vastly superior human being. That's the trifecta. It has taken me 13 months to make these determinations. To you that makes me "easy". But that's longer than it took me to fall in love with my wife, forge any of my many close friendships or spot valued and loyal business associates. You're so concerned that you might make a mistake you're "hedging" your life away. Don't wait til your 50th anniversary to tell your wife you're "sure" of her. Don't wait til the retirement party to tell your best employee how good he or she is. Trust your instincts. Take a risk. The worst that might happen is that sometimes you'll be wrong. People will still like you. In fact, they'll like you more.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 10:51:29 AM »
This is tiresome but let me try to explain one more time.

We agree that TC is the most successful MU coach in the post McGuire era. Recruiting and coaching were the most important factors in determining this success. Buzz has proven to my satisfaction he is TC's superior in both of these. In addition, he is, in my view, a vastly superior human being. That's the trifecta. It has taken me 13 months to make these determinations. To you that makes me "easy". But that's longer than it took me to fall in love with my wife, forge any of my many close friendships or spot valued and loyal business associates. You're so concerned that you might make a mistake you're "hedging" your life away. Don't wait til your 50th anniversary to tell your wife you're "sure" of her. Don't wait til the retirement party to tell your best employee how good he or she is. Trust your instincts. Take a risk. The worst that might happen is that sometimes you'll be wrong. People will still like you. In fact, they'll like you more.

How has Buzz proven he's a superior recruiter?  The only recruits of his anyone has seen play are Butler, Fulce & Otule.   Yes, he landed many promising recruits for next year--but nobody knows how they're going to pan, whether they become head cases, are injury prone, etc. 

If these recruits are superior, we won't have to wait four years--we'll know if they're on track within a year.  Here's the link to the freshman/soph/junior season records:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/0809-m-baskbl-mg-13.pdf

After one season we'll know how this year's recruits map against historical averages.  This year's recruits all have a golden opportunity to crack the records given the number of minutes available to them.  If they don't do it, it's hard to say they are superior.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 01:09:16 PM »
How has Buzz proven he's a superior recruiter?  The only recruits of his anyone has seen play are Butler, Fulce & Otule.   

Buzz came in with a rep as a great recruiter, so do we want to count the guys he brought in that put Texas A&M on their recent prosperity?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 08:14:06 PM »
Buzz came in with a rep as a great recruiter, so do we want to count the guys he brought in that put Texas A&M on their recent prosperity?

agreed  and i have said that before Texas A & M is enjoying it's greatest three years stretch in school history with as much talent as they have ever had due to the efforts of Buzz.  not bad for the absolute end of the earth Big 12  basketball program historically.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 09:39:04 PM »
How has Buzz proven he's a superior recruiter?  The only recruits of his anyone has seen play are Butler, Fulce & Otule.   Yes, he landed many promising recruits for next year--but nobody knows how they're going to pan, whether they become head cases, are injury prone, etc. 

Buzz hasn't had the anchor of a Final Four appearance weighing him down on the recruiting trail.

feedback