[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Unofficial "Buzz to ______" Archive  (Read 64471 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: CBS Sports Believes UCLA Will Court Buzz Williams
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2013, 09:22:42 AM »
Chicos  can't wait to gloat. Just read the last game thread to find out his motive,  God forbid IU wins the NC he will become even more insufferable.

::)  I want him to stay for many years.  I see no benefit in another coach leaving after 5 years from MU.  Try again.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2013, 09:24:33 AM »
Of course not, but that will be the reaction here.  There are people on this board that think basketball should be a professional sport without university oversight and Buzz should have no boss.  That is not hyperbole, I will gladly link the posts of said posters who have said that.  Don't give him a boss, let him do what he wants, get out of his way, etc, etc, etc. 

NO boss? NO university oversight? Run like a professional basketball team ($70 million salary cap?)? I'm sure there are lots of these guys on Scoop who have advocated these policies. Not.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2013, 09:26:40 AM »
::)  I want him to stay for many years.  I see no benefit in another coach leaving after 5 years from MU.  Try again.

Chicos, I have been around this board long enough to know your act, it is not hard to figure out. Your passive aggressive act wears thin after a while.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2013, 09:27:33 AM »
To me this exciting times across the board. IMO if Buzz is still here in six weeks he will likely be here in six years. Exciting on court action and exciting off court stuff to follow. Again, they are speculating about Buzz and UCLA. I would think even Al would think it was awfully cool that an MU coach is being linked to UCLA job opening. Being linked and going there are two different things. Either way it sure beats being linked to SMU.

Seriously, we all should be talking Miami and beyond right now. This team is showing a will to win that is fun to watch. Vander simply refuses to lose and that goes for the coach and rest of team as well. I cannot wait until Thursday night.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: [MJS Blog] Buzz Williams-to-UCLA chatter has begun
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2013, 09:28:45 AM »
Isn't he the same cat who asked buzz the same question in the presser after Roger was shut down for asking the question just 2 minutes earlier?  Buzz replied with something like "you're my boy, but i'm not telling you"

No. That was Matt Trebby from Paint Touches.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »
Actually it is anything but BS.  You don't know what you are talking about.  I have a number of friends in the UCLA athletic department and compared to MU's, they are much stricter.  I've spoken to Dan several times over the years about his challenges as an AD in that conference with the academic requirements they have.  The culture at UCLA is that Stanford can win with high academic standards, so can we.  There is no escaping it.  There have been many So. Cal recruits they don't get involved in because the kids won't make it.

I'm sure your high up friends (of which there are many, I know) tell you all about how good their school is.

The actual results show different as UCLA has many football recruits this year that are borderline academically.  

The other sports no one cares about I'm sure they ratchet up restrictions.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »

You are as bad as the f*cking Badger board with the "off the court BS."  There was *one* incident that wasn't handled correctly by the University, because the University's own policies were screwed up.  It wasn't an indictment of the basketball coach.

Actually there were three, but who's counting.  You are focusing on the most major one.  And it wasn't just "an incident", it made the front page of the Chicago Tribune twice, persisted in the Milwaukee news for weeks.  It got the AD and former General Counsel fired.  It likely resulted in the President of the University leaving a year early.  It put MU in a terrible light and resulted in many changes, personnel and policy.  Yeah, it was just "one incident"...there was nothing over the top about it considering the aftermath.  I'd prefer we don't have those "one" incidents again.  So does the university, that's why they made all the changes.

And please, I saw all your commentary over there on the Badger board.  Don't even compare it.  They started an entire thread on it.  You were right in your comments back to them. MU did make many changes, as they should have and required by law.  MU was in the wrong, as you articulated.  That's far different than any comment I made here, which is that despite the changes made MU is better off for it and Buzz and team have thrived.  They brought it up as a way to put a damper on the success of the program.  Big difference.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »
What's he supposed to do?  CBS is throwing out names, the local paper in MU's home town is supposed to ignore them?  One of the biggest jobs in all of college basketball is open, he's going to have to report something.  99.9% of Milwaukeans don't know MU Scoop exists and it will be news to them that his name is being tossed around but pundits.  That's all it is.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2013, 09:35:53 AM »
Really? Majerus (great future coach who wasn't ready), Dukiet (disaster), KO, Deane (mediocre), TC and Buzz. That's one grand slam (Buzz), a couple of doubles (KO and TC) two misses (Rick and Deane) and one disaster (Dukiet). You're a much easier grader than me.

Put in context of what resources we had at the time, KO and Deane were good hires.  TC and Buzz were GREAT hires.  The resources have changed, you cannot ignore that MU paid Deane $300K, we practiced in a 90 year old gym that most middle schools out here in So. Cal would laugh at.  Context is everything.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2013, 09:36:16 AM »
I've spoken to Dan several times over the years about his challenges as an AD in that conference with the academic requirements they have. 

Just got off the phone with "Dan". Said you were full of it.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2013, 09:37:25 AM »
I propose Chicos get a spring break every March. We have a mental case disrupting the board, once again, during March. This is just like last year. Can Hoopaloop be far behind? Still wondering what his screen name is on those "Purdue boards" he frequented.

Medication levels need adjusting!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2013, 09:37:54 AM »
NO boss? NO university oversight? Run like a professional basketball team ($70 million salary cap?)? I'm sure there are lots of these guys on Scoop who have advocated these policies. Not.

I'm off to a conference right now Lenny, but I'll pull up the posts for you tonight from some of the illustrious posters here that said those very things.  Then you can backtrack and qualify them for everyone.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2013, 09:39:38 AM »
Actually it is anything but BS.  You don't know what you are talking about.  I have a number of friends in the UCLA athletic department and compared to MU's, they are much stricter.  I've spoken to Dan several times over the years about his challenges as an AD in that conference with the academic requirements they have.  The culture at UCLA is that Stanford can win with high academic standards, so can we.  There is no escaping it.  There have been many So. Cal recruits they don't get involved in because the kids won't make it.

UCLA graduates 83% of their athletes - 75% of their basketball players, 70% of baseball players and 59% of their football players. Those are very respectable numbers but hardly those of a strict academic institution.

MU graduates 91% of basketball players and graduates over 82% (national avg) in each of the school's 14 sports. Not sure of the exact numbers or overall figure.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2013, 09:39:50 AM »
Lenny

I grade the last hires similar to your grading. I give KO higher grade and think the hiring process in that hire knew their stuff. Buzz is potential grand slam and the administration would be wise to do their part in keeping him. You can only roll the dice on news guys so often and expect great results.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2013, 09:40:28 AM »

Loyalty is a two way street though.  Yeah MU pays him a lot of money, and gave him the resources to outbid Illinois for a top-notch assistant.  That's good.  

Now MU changes some academic policies for the entire University, and it impacts the basketball team.  MU now requires its athletes as freshmen to live in a regular dorm.  The University fired one of his best friends.  (I'm not bringing any of these things up to debate them, just pointing out how Buzz might feel peeved at his current bosses.)

Look, I have heard enough speculation and rumors and honestly I have no idea how Buzz feels.  I have decided this year to just let it roll.  What happens, happens and there isn't really anything I can do about it.

I think everything you said here is fair.

So far, I think MU's decisions seem reasonable, but I'm not intimately involved, so I don't know how this has all come about. Sometimes it's not about the outcome, it's about the process.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2013, 09:41:02 AM »
I'm sure your high up friends (of which there are many, I know) tell you all about how good their school is.

The actual results show different as UCLA has many football recruits this year that are borderline academically.  

The other sports no one cares about I'm sure they ratchet up restrictions.

::)  These are compliance and admissions folks within the athletic department.  Compared to MU, it's not close....that was my point.  

The requirements are second only to Stanford in the conference.  Those are facts, check with the Pac 12 office if you wish.

Don't get me wrong, there are many many special admits to UCLA and other schools. No surprise to anyone.  UCLA is a really tough place to get into, so they have to do that just to get athletes in because otherwise no one would be accepted.

Old articles, but I will happily provide you more recent stuff when I get back from this conference tonight.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_7595636

http://www.bruinsnation.com/2009/4/9/827568/bruinsnation-sits-down-with-coach

http://blog.michaelholtonprice.com/2012/11/bcs-madness-implications-of-stanford.html

I used to have a breakdown of average SAT scores by school by athletes.  I'll dig it up...you will be surprised.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:51:33 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2013, 09:47:50 AM »
I think what most people are missing is actually reading the CBS article.  The clearly say, in the first paragraph, "Here's our disclaimer: These are our opinions."This entire article was pure speculation based on three writers opinion.  They did not say they had inside sources.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2013, 09:48:16 AM »
Perfect timing Mike...a distraction for the team right before the biggest game of some of their lives. Well played. I can guarantee you Rosiak would have NEVER run with this...at least not now. Unless of course, his bosses told him too, and they very well may have.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2013, 09:53:09 AM »
Same $hit different year!  My god what a terrible week to start this BS.  This will be a major distraction just like that stupid "Fight" thing was last year

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2013, 09:53:39 AM »
UCLA graduates 83% of their athletes - 75% of their basketball players, 70% of baseball players and 59% of their football players. Those are very respectable numbers but hardly those of a strict academic institution.

MU graduates 91% of basketball players and graduates over 82% (national avg) in each of the school's 14 sports. Not sure of the exact numbers or overall figure.

Graduation rates are tied also to the difficulty of the school, the majors offered, etc.  UCLA also has had far more kids leave to go to the pros early than MU has, that brings down the graduation rates.

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2013, 09:54:59 AM »
The funny thing is that this is exactly the crap the Buzz was talking about in his post game press conference after the Butler game.  About how internet types are ruining journalism.  This is just another example.  Mike Hunt taking speculation by CBS writers as a story.  

Hey how bout you write a story, then I’ll write a story about your story and put my name at the bottom of it and call it a day.  Nice work Hunt.

As a former journalist, let me correct you. Journalists are what is ruining Journalism. They tend to look for the easy story. Hunt clearly hopes that Buzz goes to UCLA because it will make hie job easier.  He will have easy stories to write...for months.

The biggest problem with journalists nowadays is that they have become lazy, herd animals.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2013, 09:55:38 AM »
Hey, anyone want to talk about something else... oh I don't know. Miami? The Sweet 16?

Can we talk about the possibility that we will attempt to utilize ball pressure and tight man-defense like we did against Rhotnei Clark in the 2nd half against Butler? Or maybe we won't because of reasons I'm not aware of because I've seen exactly one game Miami has played all year?

Are we categorically incapable of enjoying this ride without fixating on things that are both out of our control and certainly will not be resolved until after this season ends for us?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2013, 09:56:46 AM »
drop some knowledge on me

Buzz’s press conference on Saturday night was more revealing – on a couple different levels – than most of you realize.  Sure, there was some insight to Buzz’s mind of which many picked up on at least a portion, but before that can be explored, let’s harken back to a comment on the thread about the presser:

Listening to the presser again .. still doesn't make sense.

A reporter asked Buzz .. "Coach Stevens said in the final 2 seconds you made an adjustment that confused them.  Can you tell us what that was?"

Buzz (snaps?) "No.  I like you, but no.  I can't.  Your question was can I explain that, my answer is no."

Next guy asks a question, Buzz stops him and returns to the original journalist .. goes wayyy off the rails, talking about how hard it is to get a job in the coaching world .. takes a swipe at (bloggers?) twitterers, people who haven't earned the job as journalists (?) .. but are treated as journalists.  Rambles some more .. "Hardest thing in life to get is momentum. Hardest thing to keep is momentum.  I don't want to play in the NCAA tournament any more.  And as humble as I can say it, I want to see if we can win another game." ?????

"So the reason my answer is no, is because .. next game is a one possession game.  I'm not a genius .. I want to be tough .. "

Then he fires off the comments about not being able to go back to the hotel because of the NCAA. (??)

At best, his answer was something about wanting to keep his coaching a secret, so he could use it again next game...???  

Odd, odd.

Nancy Armour asked a q from the AP.  I imagine she's the Nancy Armour from MU, graduated around 1990.

As plain as I can explain it, Buzz’s presser was a litmus test.  Some of us listened to it one time and understood every single word of it.   Frankly, it’s not difficult, because we have the same tendencies and communicate the same way.  Society uses the terms “stream of consciousness,” “rambling,” “speaking your mind,” etc. but to those of us with whom the presser strikes a different chord, we simply call it “talking.”   And I’m sure that’s not going to make sense either.   In fact, most people in this world are going to fall into the “that doesn’t make sense” camp after listening to Buzz for 10+ minutes, and I have a message for them:

You’re right, it doesn’t make sense [to you], and with all due respect, it never will.

Imagine a TV display at Best Buy with a dozen screens, all tuned to different programs… most people would focus on one screen, perhaps glancing at one or two other screens at times.  Now imagine your brain resisting – or just flat out refusing – to focus on a single screen; in fact, instead of 12 screens, there are now 120, and your brain is trying to process every single one simultaneously.  Moreover, there’s nothing that you can do to control it.  Think it would drive you crazy??  Yes, it probably would, and if not for the fact that some of us have been dealing with the affliction our entire lives, it would probably consume us too.  So do yourself a favor, and don’t try to make sense of it.  “Normal” people can get overwhelmed when trying to think of two things at once… Buzz probably had no fewer than a hundred thoughts going through his head during that presser, and it’s pretty apparent that his filter was redlining.

The best advice I can offer… don’t try to tie Buzz’s various responses, comments, thoughts, etc. during the presser together cohesively; it simply doesn’t work that way.  When Buzz starts talking, forget about everything that’s been said – by him or anyone else – up to that point.  When he pauses, think only about what he just said and as a completely independent thought.  And when he starts talking again, forget about everything he just said prior to that, and again, start listening only to what he’s saying at that point.

So with that said... consider Buzz's question during the presser about what time they play on Thursday.  "Oh yeah, because money and TV is involved" [paraphrasing].  Take that as a completely independent thought, and try to reconcile that singular thought (and the contemptuous tone) with the logic and rational behind the speculation that's being tossed around.  It's not Buzz that doesn't make sense, it's the speculation that doesn't make sense.

Sorry for the novel, but please forgive if it sounds like I'm "rambling."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

connie

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2013, 10:07:44 AM »
Maybe I'm hung over, but Benny B makes sense to me.

Can we start a "Bo to UCLA thread?"
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »
I would have no problem with an article saying Buzz's name has and will come up in speculation about available jobs, but he goes way over the line when he says he would go unless he has solid info on that and can attribute it to someone. If he was a columnist still that would be one thing, but as a beat writer it is flat out wrong.

I know the history of UCLA and all, but Buzz is set up pretty darn well for the next several years and could have some pretty nice stability for his family in his current situation. He seems to get annoyed with media and worn down by the pressures of the job, which are considerable. However, the pressure and spotlight would be far more intense at a place like UCLA. Hard to believe that would be good for him or appealing to him.

I don't care what the explanation is, if Buzz leaves any goodwill earned by LW for his involvement with the new conference is gone in my book.

feedback