'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Our defense had a few let downs last night  (Read 4212 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Our defense had a few let downs last night
« on: November 18, 2008, 11:25:51 AM »
Too many easy buckets and transition layups for those guys.  The one kid hitting the 3's, hats off to him.  Made some tough shots.  But overall it seemed way too many easy baskets from close range.

Gwaki

• All American
Re: Our defense had a few let downs last night
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 11:29:42 AM »
I agree there is no reason why they should have scored 87 points on us.  I would have been fine with aroudn 70 but 87 and over 50 in the second half is way too much

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 11:31:23 AM »
I didn't see the game but from following it online it seemed that Chicago State was scoring almost at will. That's got to stop, though the good news is that the Badgers will still only score 65 points against us.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:40:56 AM »
Yep, defense needs to tighten up.  It's nice to score at will in a game like this, but to let the other team score at will is not so nice.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 12:20:17 PM »
I watched it online last night and saw a sloppy game.  Not only were there easy buckets but a lot of silly fouls that lead to FTs and new possessions.  I thought our on the ball defense was intense but soon faded as the refs started to exert their presence.  Hazel, burke, and hayward need to improve their post defense.  They gave up position very easily and never were able to front effectively.  When they did get around their man they'd end up fouling.

Lot's to work on on the defensive end!
I like the motion on offense though. 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 12:32:45 PM »
Too many easy buckets and transition layups for those guys.  The one kid hitting the 3's, hats off to him.  Made some tough shots.  But overall it seemed way too many easy baskets from close range.

That's gonna happen when you have no inside defensive presence.  This is a game where Otule would have made a big difference.  With no one over 6'6 in there, the CSU didn't have to fear rejections or alter their shots, they could shoot over our defenders rather easily.  Plus, since there was no size disadvantage the CSU players could push MU around in the post and get rebounds that led to easy buckets. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 12:51:20 PM »
I watched it online last night and saw a sloppy game. 

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.  Where'd you get the online stream?  Nobody posted here about it being available online (I checked http://channelsurfing.net several times yesterday) - gotta keep us in the loop army!

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 01:10:09 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.  Where'd you get the online stream?  Nobody posted here about it being available online (I checked http://channelsurfing.net several times yesterday) - gotta keep us in the loop army!

SECONDED!

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 02:33:27 PM »
First off, watched the game on 360 and Chicago did not score at will.  That one kid was lighting it up and there were a TON of ticky tack fouls that stopped the game and put Chicago on the line.  I thought the defense was OK, but it was kinda a perfect storm situation (Marquette speeding up the game with more possessions, a ton of fouls called so the clock stops and people score, and a kid taking silly shots and draining them.)  I really like the offense.  It seems to give players open jumpers, we just need to knock em down.  

This was mentioned, but how excited were you guys to see a guy (Hazel) get the ball about two feet out and throw it down.  Barro was 6'10 and I don't remember him doing that at all.  
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 02:37:15 PM »
Moved the 360 stuff to a new thread to avoid too much thread drift...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=10501.0

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 03:32:49 PM »
First off, watched the game on 360 and Chicago did not score at will.  That one kid was lighting it up and there were a TON of ticky tack fouls that stopped the game and put Chicago on the line.  I thought the defense was OK, but it was kinda a perfect storm situation (Marquette speeding up the game with more possessions, a ton of fouls called so the clock stops and people score, and a kid taking silly shots and draining them.)  I really like the offense.  It seems to give players open jumpers, we just need to knock em down.  

This was mentioned, but how excited were you guys to see a guy (Hazel) get the ball about two feet out and throw it down.  Barro was 6'10 and I don't remember him doing that at all.  

Agreed.  I watched the game and never any flow because of the refs calling silly little fouls.  Neither team could get in a flow.  A LONG game with all those fouls.  One observation, though it may be too early to reflect much, DJ is not progressing much.  Frankly, the Chicago State guard, Holston, outplayed him in every aspect of the game. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 03:49:43 PM »
I was at the game last night, and have to tell you, basically throw this game out in terms of a reflection of the team.  The fouls called were ridiculous and completely frivolous.  Even Burke's first foul on a moving screen wasn't a foul, he didn't even set a screen, he was moving away from the ball and a defender stopped so he didn't run into Burke while guarding him.  It seemed the officials were calling things they thought looked like fouls, not what actually was.

Having said that, one concern I did have on defense was help defense when someone was driving the lane.  At least four times Chicago State turned the corner, drove the lane and got a layup without any help coming to stop the drive.  Every time it happened we had Butler and Hayward playing the 4 and 5 which may have something to do with it, but I'm not sure.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 03:57:34 PM »
Having said that, one concern I did have on defense was help defense when someone was driving the lane.  At least four times Chicago State turned the corner, drove the lane and got a layup without any help coming to stop the drive.  Every time it happened we had Butler and Hayward playing the 4 and 5 which may have something to do with it, but I'm not sure.

Or it could be they didnt want to get called for a foul.

strobl2

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 05:31:39 PM »
Agreed.  I watched the game and never any flow because of the refs calling silly little fouls.  Neither team could get in a flow.  A LONG game with all those fouls.  One observation, though it may be too early to reflect much, DJ is not progressing much.  Frankly, the Chicago State guard, Holston, outplayed him in every aspect of the game. 

Just a question because  I couldn't watch the game. Did DJ really go 2-9 at the line.