'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Transfer Tracker  (Read 77091 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Transfer Tracker
« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2017, 08:39:30 PM »
FWIW...Dodds states MU is not pursuing Egor.

But what does that mean?  BD said that Stan reached out - I believe he said that Katin was talking to him as well.  If Egor said "no thanks," then "not pursuing" him is time saved.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #201 on: April 15, 2017, 08:49:18 PM »
Not sure where he said that(he hasn't said it on his board)...but it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't. Pretty sad they wouldn't be after the best grad transfer on the market, but everyone seems to trust all of Wojo's decisions so..

*But if it comes out that they aren't pursuing him, then people owe me an apology as it would then appear Wojo isn't interested in grad transfers this year(because if you aren't interested in Koulachev there's a problem, he's the best out there), which I have stated all the tea leaves seem to suggest*

No one will owe you anything. You've been told multiple times that Wojo has reached out to both Egor and Cameron Johnson. If it turns out that the interest isn't mutual that doesn't mean Wojo didn't persue. Grad transfers aren't a buffet line. You don't just pick the one you like. You're right that egor is the best.  Every other program in the nation realizes that too .

Also,  we are at the end of week 1 of transfer mania.  It's not even week  2 yet.  A vast majority of grad transfers have yet to release any lists much less take any visits.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 15, 2017, 09:06:13 PM »
No one will owe you anything. You've been told multiple times that Wojo has reached out to both Egor and Cameron Johnson. If it turns out that the interest isn't mutual that doesn't mean Wojo didn't persue. Grad transfers aren't a buffet line. You don't just pick the one you like. You're right that egor is the best.  Every other program in the nation realizes that too .

Also,  we are at the end of week 1 of transfer mania.  It's not even week  2 yet.  A vast majority of grad transfers have yet to release any lists much less take any visits.

I get that, but some don't even take visits or release lists, they just commit...see Reinhardt, Katin, Carlino, Matt and a host of others through the years.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #203 on: April 15, 2017, 09:15:53 PM »
I get that, but some don't even take visits or release lists, they just commit...see Reinhardt, Katin, Carlino, Matt and a host of others through the years.

Exactly. There were no "tea leaves" to read in those recruitments. Yet grad transfers still ended up here.  So why does lack of tea leaves this year mean Wojo is not interested in grad transfers?  Especially when there have been tea leaves saying that Wojo had reached out to the two best grad transfers on the market?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:21:50 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #204 on: April 15, 2017, 09:22:10 PM »
Exactly

Well, if you agree with that, then you can't also make the claim that we are "only a week into the process", as if it's no big deal. Grad Transfers do and have committed without taking visits before, and typically don't go thru the process for a long time before deciding. Programs have to know, so they can decide how to proceed.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #205 on: April 15, 2017, 10:18:43 PM »
Well, if you agree with that, then you can't also make the claim that we are "only a week into the process", as if it's no big deal. Grad Transfers do and have committed without taking visits before, and typically don't go thru the process for a long time before deciding. Programs have to know, so they can decide how to proceed.

You missed the point of my exactly.  I edited my post before you replied to explain further.  You have zero proof that Wojo is not interested in grad transfers.  Zero.  There is proof that he is interested.  So your complaint that Wojo isn't interested in grad transfers and should be is invalid. He is pursuing two. Whether or not he lands them is irrelevant to the complaint that he's not pursuing grad transfers.
TAMU

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #206 on: April 15, 2017, 10:22:46 PM »

What TAMU was saying appears to have went way over your head
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

muguru

• All American
« Reply #207 on: April 15, 2017, 11:08:32 PM »
What TAMU was saying appears to have went way over your head

No, he edited after I responded. All he had said previously was "exactly".

muguru

• All American
« Reply #208 on: April 15, 2017, 11:58:48 PM »
You missed the point of my exactly.  I edited my post before you replied to explain further.  You have zero proof that Wojo is not interested in grad transfers.  Zero.  There is proof that he is interested.  So your complaint that Wojo isn't interested in grad transfers and should be is invalid. He is pursuing two. Whether or not he lands them is irrelevant to the complaint that he's not pursuing grad transfers.

But half the idea of pursuing is also landing them. Yes I have said all along "pursuing" he probably likely is..he can pursue till he's called them all..but if he doesnt land one, then his sales pitch may not be good enough. He's landed two of the best grad transfers in the past in Carlino and Reinhardt..and got them both without either visiting.

Not saying it will work like that all the time, but regardless..I'm concered about him landing one..thats my main objective. That being said..if it's not Egor or Cam..I'd just rather move on to a traditional transfer instead then. I just don't see any other grad transfers that would be difference makers for them like both of them would be.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2017, 12:02:23 AM »
MU seems to be focusing more on transfers(morrow, Moore etc), then they are grad transfers, and I'm not really sure why. Some would say that there have to be minutes available for a grad transfer for them to come, and some question whether or not said minutes are available. I'll tell you what, there are two grad transfers out there that could IMO, take MU to the sweet 16 or better next year, and they should be able to get all the minutes they can handle. Just not sure at this point, what exactly Wojo is doing, and I hope like hell he hasn't been telling potential grad transfers that there may or may not be massive minutes available. At least if he's been in contact with those specific two.
I think conventional transfers bring a lot to the table. They get to sit out a year and work on conditioning and improving their game . They also have that time to build relationships with teammates and coaches and become part of the school community. Grad transfers are highly sought after. The good ones need absolute certain as to their role and circumstances surrounding the team. My feeling with both types of transfers is to aim as high as possible , no projects.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #210 on: April 16, 2017, 12:16:10 AM »
But half the idea of pursuing is also landing them. Yes I have said all along "pursuing" he probably likely is..he can pursue till he's called them all..but if he doesnt land one, then his sales pitch may not be good enough. He's landed two of the best grad transfers in the past in Carlino and Reinhardt..and got them both without either visiting.

Not saying it will work like that all the time, but regardless..I'm concered about him landing one..thats my main objective. That being said..if it's not Egor or Cam..I'd just rather move on to a traditional transfer instead then. I just don't see any other grad transfers that would be difference makers for them like both of them would be.

So if you were a Duke fan right now you'd be concerned with Coach K's ability to sell a kid on coming to Duke because neither of the 2 best grad transfers in the country have even scheduled a visit with Duke? Or a Kentucky fan you'd be concerned with Cal's recruiting because neither of the 2 best grad transfers in the country have scheduled a visit to Lexington?

Frankly I'm concerned that Wojo doesn't sign the best C, PG, forward, and wing in every single class, and then, despite getting them to play well enough to make up the top 4 projected picks in the NBA Draft, convinces each of them to stay 4 years and get their degrees with a 4.0 GPA in engineering or accounting. Not sure Wojo's got it in terms of recruiting...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #211 on: April 16, 2017, 01:31:17 AM »

See you've switched from the problem is Wojo isn't talking to grad transfers to the problem is Wojo hasn't landed one of the two best grad transfers yet.....by April 15th.....which if your standard for a coach is that must land one of the two best grad transfers every year....prepared to be disappointed most years. Neither Reinhardt nor Carlino was in the top 10 grad transfers in their year. Both very solid, but there have been a lot of quality grad transfers the past few years. I do think its funny that you say Wojo has landed two of the best grad transfers in two of the past three years....but then you question his recruiting pitch to grad transfers. You are frustrated with Wojo for not landing Cam Johnson or Egor....but NO ONE has landed them yet! So you must be frustrated with every coach.

If you think Egor or Cam are the the only two grad transfers worthy of Marquette, you either overestimate Marquette or underestimate the pool of grad transfers. A brief glance at my list and I'd guess there's currently about 35 out there who would at very least be a rotation player for Marquette. There are around 10 who I think would be starters. There are 6 who I think would have a shot at being the best player on our team next season. And again, it's April 15th. While the transfers are starting to slow, new names are still coming in every day. I'd estimate somewhere between 300-350 more players will transfer this offseason.
TAMU

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2017, 04:38:55 AM »
And there might be 0-1 grad transfers considering Marquette or who Marquette is recruiting.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

muguru

• All American
« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2017, 05:25:22 AM »
And there might be 0-1 grad transfers considering Marquette or who Marquette is recruiting.

If MU isn't recruting any grad transfers, then that's a mistake on their part. BIG mistake. I know you are totally comfortable with letting all the kids play and going with what they have for next year...I respect that, but it would likely be at the cost of making the NCAA's again. Is that really what you want?? Gambling on the chance that this team reaches it's potential in '18-'19?? And what if it doesn't?? I know you despise transfers Ted. I get that, none of us like them, but it's absolutely the way of college basketball now days. And if you really and truly believe that MU's team that will be together the next year, are together all four years...I will have some of what you are smoking. I'd wager massive amounts of money that MU will have at least one transfer out within the next couple years. That's just being realistic.

That's why you HAVE to capitalize on opportunities to make the team better when you have the chance. Win now. The future is exactly that...the future. Completely unpredicatable. You're smart enough to know that.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2017, 05:50:16 AM »
I don't despise transfers.  I just think they should be brought in ONLY when you have a definite need.

Do you know why I am and always have been leary about transfers?  Because they can play with the chemistry of the team like it did with the high school team I played on.  I was a bit player for the 7th ranked Wisconsin team in Class B in the 1978-79 season.  We started the season with 3 seniors and 9 juniors.  I was one of the seniors and another senior was a transfer from a neighboring Class C school where he had been a first team all-conference performer.  The junior class had been undefeated as a class from 7th grade through junior varsity.  The transfer's arrival led to 2 former varsity members deciding not to go out for the team since they didn't see playing time in their futures as seniors.

After losing our first game of the season, we had rattled off 10 straight wins, including a big win over a rival conference school that played in Class A.  The kid who transferred in was playing about 18 out of 32 minutes a game off the bench.  Instead of understanding his role, he felt he should be starting and playing more minutes and I can guarantee you that as an close observer, he was mistaken and was having some issues with the playing style,which was more half court than he was use to at his Class C school.  Right after that 10th straight win, he went into the coaches office and quit the team.

So instead of buying in, he was totally selfish leaving the team short in the frontcourt where was one of the former members of the team, who didn't go out, could have helped.  If he would have bought in there is a solid chance that team would have been in Madison in the state tournament like the junior class did a year later.  We lost in the sectional semi-final on a last second shot.

That's my issue with transfers and making sure they are really going to be an advantage and yes, I don't really care if Wojo adds another player to this team and if they do, I hope its a player who is team oriented.  I worry that a grad transfer is going to expect 28-30 minutes a game and it will affect the freshmen, who I am obviously high on.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 06:04:23 AM by TedBaxter »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2017, 06:37:03 AM »
I don't despise transfers.  I just think they should be brought in ONLY when you have a definite need.

Do you know why I am and always have been leary about transfers?  Because they can play with the chemistry of the team like it did with the high school team I played on.  I was a bit player for the 7th ranked Wisconsin team in Class B in the 1978-79 season.  We started the season with 3 seniors and 9 juniors.  I was one of the seniors and another senior was a transfer from a neighboring Class C school where he had been a first team all-conference performer.  The junior class had been undefeated as a class from 7th grade through junior varsity.  The transfer's arrival led to 2 former varsity members deciding not to go out for the team since they didn't see playing time in their futures as seniors.

After losing our first game of the season, we had rattled off 10 straight wins, including a big win over a rival conference school that played in Class A.  The kid who transferred in was playing about 18 out of 32 minutes a game off the bench.  Instead of understanding his role, he felt he should be starting and playing more minutes and I can guarantee you that as an close observer, he was mistaken and was having some issues with the playing style,which was more half court than he was use to at his Class C school.  Right after that 10th straight win, he went into the coaches office and quit the team.

So instead of buying in, he was totally selfish leaving the team short in the frontcourt where was one of the former members of the team, who didn't go out, could have helped.  If he would have bought in there is a solid chance that team would have been in Madison in the state tournament like the junior class did a year later.  We lost in the sectional semi-final on a last second shot.

That's my issue with transfers and making sure they are really going to be an advantage and yes, I don't really care if Wojo adds another player to this team and if they do, I hope its a player who is team oriented.  I worry that a grad transfer is going to expect 28-30 minutes a game and it will affect the freshmen, who I am obviously high on.

All very valid points Ted(as you usally make). As far as your point about it affecting the Freshman, and said grad transfer being a team oriented player..I would ask you this..If MU brought in a grad transfer that got 28-30 Minutes a game, and was a key cog in MU winning games(took over a few games to will them to a victory), and MU got to the Sweet 16 because of said transfer, then isn't it also up to the Freshman to be good teammates, and realize that even at the expense of their minutes THIS year, it's helping the team win, and achieve great things, and realize that they will get their chance next year??

I get that kids want to play, who doesn't?? But sometimes kids also need to look themselves in the mirror and understand that they will get their chance, and you know what, there are players better then them. I think that's the problem with a lot of kids now days, they all think they are better then the next. Sometimes, relaity is a b*itch, and it's not like that. Accepting that can go a long ways towards being a good teammate. That's just my opinion.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2017, 07:35:11 AM »
If MU isn't recruting any grad transfers, then that's a mistake on their part. BIG mistake. I know you are totally comfortable with letting all the kids play and going with what they have for next year...I respect that, but it would likely be at the cost of making the NCAA's again. Is that really what you want?? Gambling on the chance that this team reaches it's potential in '18-'19?? And what if it doesn't?? I know you despise transfers Ted. I get that, none of us like them, but it's absolutely the way of college basketball now days. And if you really and truly believe that MU's team that will be together the next year, are together all four years...I will have some of what you are smoking. I'd wager massive amounts of money that MU will have at least one transfer out within the next couple years. That's just being realistic.

That's why you HAVE to capitalize on opportunities to make the team better when you have the chance. Win now. The future is exactly that...the future. Completely unpredicatable. You're smart enough to know that.

Must be rough going through life always seeking out the negative, always looking to complain just for the sake of complaining.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2017, 08:28:59 AM »
Must be rough going through life always seeking out the negative, always looking to complain just for the sake of complaining.

What do you find so negative in Guru's post?

Realistic assessments may be "rough" but are ultimately necessary to be successful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »

Wuz dat Park Falls, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2017, 08:42:41 AM »
If muguru was a fan of UCLA during the Wooden era, he'd complain about 1966 & 1974.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2017, 08:50:28 AM »

Wuz dat Park Falls, hey?

Close. Park Falls beat the team that beat us in the sectional final.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2017, 09:09:34 AM »
What do you find so negative in Guru's post?

Realistic assessments may be "rough" but are ultimately necessary to be successful.

Well, for one thing, despite being repeatedly told that Wojo has recruited grad transfers and continues to do so, he keeps talking as if Wojo isn't recruiting them.

Historically, muguru has been prone to knee-jerk reactions based on incomplete information, lashing out at coaches, being extremely easily frustrated by even minor setbacks, etc.

I probably was guilty of hyperbole myself, however, when I said he is "always" negative. That isn't true, and for that I apologize. "Often" or "mostly" would have been better words to use.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2017, 09:41:29 AM »
Well, for one thing, despite being repeatedly told that Wojo has recruited grad transfers and continues to do so, he keeps talking as if Wojo isn't recruiting them.

And then says "Yes I have said all along "pursuing" he probably likely is..he can pursue till he's called them all..but if he doesnt land one, then his sales pitch may not be good enough."

Classic message board goal-post shifting.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »

And then says "Yes I have said all along "pursuing" he probably likely is..he can pursue till he's called them all..but if he doesnt land one, then his sales pitch may not be good enough."

Classic message board goal-post shifting.

Well, here's the thing, I figured everyone was smart enough to assume that if he's pursuing someone, it's with the hopes of landing him, doesn't that make sense?? So you can say "he's pursuing grad transfers", which yes is PROBABLY true(but I'd rather wait until I hear it from other MU sources before I'd truly believe it), but would anyone truly be satisfied with him pursuing Egor and Cam without actually landing one of them(or both)?? So if you want to deal in semantics, go ahead..But i was giving everyone's intelligence the benfit of the doubt here that they would think it makes sense that I(or anyone)that wants to know they are pursuing grad transfers, that if they are, they then land them. Otherwise, what's the point?? Who cares if they are pursuing them, if it doesn't result in a commitment?? I guess that goes along with the way the world is now and everone gets A's for effort, and for trying, huh??

muguru

• All American
« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2017, 11:02:01 AM »
 Evan Daniels‏Verified account @EvanDaniels 22m22 minutes ago

Miami (Ohio) transfer Michael Weathers is headed to Oklahoma State, per a source.

Averaged 16.7 PPG, 4.8 APG & 4.2 RPG last season.

feedback