Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can't Help Thinking About Next Year  (Read 6067 times)

rgoode57

• Starter
Can't Help Thinking About Next Year
« on: January 24, 2022, 02:40:53 PM »
I think it is pretty certain that this season is going to be one that nearly every fan will be satisfied with (except those few who now think we should be an elite 8 team).  Shaka has given us all a reason to be proud of MU b'ball again and to look forward to future seasons. So, I can't help thinking about next season.

Shaka is going to have some holes to fill - Morsell and Kur will certainly be gone, Greg will most likely be gone, and it is looking more and more likely that Justin will be gone if he keeps up his strong play. That's 3 starters and a very key bench player to replace. Kam Jones can take Greg's role, but replacing the three starters is much harder. Oso is becoming a good player but, in terms of rim protection, he is not Kur. Stevie Mitchell may be able to replace a part of what Morsell brings defensively, but not his offense or his leadership. And, you just don't go out and grab another Justin Lewis off the street. 

Shaka certainly knows what he needs to do but I can't help but wonder if the coaches have a way of tracking players they want to try to grab if the player decides to transfer. Shaka will have two spots open for transfers and one of those has to be a big. I would think the other is a scoring wing. Do you think there is a list somewhere that gets constantly updated?

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Can't Help Thinking About Next Year
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 02:49:59 PM »
April thru October is all about next year.
Perhaps bring up these questions then?

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 02:52:20 PM »
I think it is pretty certain that this season is going to be one that nearly every fan will be satisfied with (except those few who now think we should be an elite 8 team).  Shaka has given us all a reason to be proud of MU b'ball again and to look forward to future seasons. So, I can't help thinking about next season.

Shaka is going to have some holes to fill - Morsell and Kur will certainly be gone, Greg will most likely be gone, and it is looking more and more likely that Justin will be gone if he keeps up his strong play. That's 3 starters and a very key bench player to replace. Kam Jones can take Greg's role, but replacing the three starters is much harder. Oso is becoming a good player but, in terms of rim protection, he is not Kur. Stevie Mitchell may be able to replace a part of what Morsell brings defensively, but not his offense or his leadership. And, you just don't go out and grab another Justin Lewis off the street. 

Shaka certainly knows what he needs to do but I can't help but wonder if the coaches have a way of tracking players they want to try to grab if the player decides to transfer. Shaka will have two spots open for transfers and one of those has to be a big. I would think the other is a scoring wing. Do you think there is a list somewhere that gets constantly updated?

Bring it up whenever you want!

I think filling holes is a much different landscape now a days with the transfer portal. Not saying we will fill those holes with similar talents, but there is a better chance you can fill that hole with someone already in the collegiate ranks, and not some kid out of high school that you hope will play just as well.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 02:53:53 PM »
Just my opinion, but I don’t think MU will be taking a step back talent wise next year. A lot of guys will be looking for a new home and MU and Shaka have a lot to sell. I think Shaka is well aware of the players he finished 2nd or 3rd on who may be looking to transfer.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 02:54:58 PM »
If all 8 non-super seniors return, along with the incoming recruits, ranked in the preseason.   Yep, need another big, though a couple of athletic stretch 4's would suffice.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 02:56:09 PM »
No disrespect, but this is a perfect question for the "Recruiting as of _____" thread. They keep an updated tracker of prospective talent we are actively recruiting.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 02:56:20 PM »
I guaranty you that potential transfers are going to look at what Shaka is doing with Morsell and want to be a part of this.  Players who have been pigeon-holed into roles who are given the opportunity to expand their game to at least get a shot at that next level?  Why wouldn't you look at Marquette?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 03:25:05 PM »
Immediate transfers will help, but more so than any other coach I remember, he rides these freshman at key points. Kam, Stevie, Oso, Kolek, Prosper, Jop will all be seasoned vets with another summer to improve under their belts. If he can keep that core together and compliment with a
few vets I think we will be good to go. Who knows though, chances of everyone staying are probably 50/50 at best.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 03:31:32 PM »
If all 8 non-super seniors return, along with the incoming recruits, ranked in the preseason.   Yep, need another big, though a couple of athletic stretch 4's would suffice.

For next year, either Ross or Ellis will have to be a factor, figuring Kam is the 2 guard, but those 2 have to replace Morsell.  Up front, Joplin and OMAX will have to improve. At center, OSO.  The big question as anybody seen Itejere play in practice?  If he gives them something they would have to find a 4 that can score!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 03:32:28 PM »
I agree with Goose. This year will be one of the worst if not the worst team of the Shaka era. Only going up from here.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 03:36:21 PM »
I agree with Goose. This year will be one of the worst if not the worst team of the Shaka era. Only going up from here.

What if the Virginia Tech job opens?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 03:38:03 PM »
I can't help thinking about Wednesday night. There is a lot of heavy lifting yet to be done this season.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 03:49:59 PM »
I can't help thinking about Wednesday night. There is a lot of heavy lifting yet to be done this season.

Totally agree!  The sign of a great team is the ability to win on the road.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 03:53:42 PM »
If they can win at the Pavilion, they can win at the Rock.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2022, 04:07:51 PM »

To heck with that. Shaka better get crackin' on the 2024-25 team!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 04:33:55 PM »
Immediate transfers will help, but more so than any other coach I remember, he rides these freshman at key points. Kam, Stevie, Oso, Kolek, Prosper, Jop will all be seasoned vets with another summer to improve under their belts. If he can keep that core together and compliment with a
few vets I think we will be good to go. Who knows though, chances of everyone staying are probably 50/50 at best.

Don't forget Emarion and Keeyan!

History says not all of those guys will be back though.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 04:45:43 PM »
Don't forget Emarion and Keeyan!

History says not all of those guys will be back though.

I think EE is going to be really good for us. Not sure if next year is the year, but he has a ton of tools for the pg position. Hopefully we get to see them.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2022, 05:03:19 PM »
There are 3 points next year, hope Ellis can play the 2 or 3!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2022, 05:20:17 PM »

Correctamundo Goose.  I can't stand Willard or the Hall.  I could see then trying to muck it up Wednesday.  We should be prepared for everything.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2022, 05:23:01 PM »
I agree with the heavy lifting analysis. Now we need to watch how we tone the muscles.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2022, 05:30:14 PM »

You worry about positions way too much.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2022, 05:41:08 PM »
It is impossible to have too many players who can play point, provided they have some size.   EE, Stevie, TKo all have size.   Sean Jones, not so much.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2022, 05:46:03 PM »
Correctamundo Goose.  I can't stand Willard or the Hall.  I could see then trying to muck it up Wednesday.  We should be prepared for everything.

Can we bring our own refs?

Muggsy, it's going to be nasty. Agree on Williard and Seton Hall. I know that winning the Nova game in Milwaukee has the most value among the upcoming games but nothing, absolutely nothing would make me happier than if we take them down on their home court-not even beating Nova again.   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2022, 06:39:14 PM »
I think EE is going to be really good for us. Not sure if next year is the year, but he has a ton of tools for the pg position. Hopefully we get to see them.

I hope he is. Also hope he isn't discouraged from the lack of PT.

I'm not saying he deserves any PT - looks not great when out there - but time and time again we see guys transfer due to lack of PT and desire to go to a "better" situation.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2022, 08:01:13 PM »
What if the Virginia Tech job opens?
To be honest I would think Mrs. Smart vetoes V Poly
Goal is National Championship

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2022, 12:37:40 PM »
Sam Vecenie (who I consider one of the more tuned in guys) has Justin Lewis at #61 on his latest draft big board.

Justin certainly has some NBA skills, but still needs some improvement. 3-point shot needs to be more consistent and he needs to rebound every game like he did against X (my opinion - not Vecenie's).

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2022, 12:53:24 PM »
Over breakfast this morning I said “The only bad thing about this run is Lewis is leaving to get paid after this year”. Even my dog rolled her eyes and said “just enjoy this dude!”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2022, 01:18:43 PM »
Over breakfast this morning I said “The only bad thing about this run is Lewis is leaving to get paid after this year”. Even my dog rolled her eyes and said “just enjoy this dude!”

I think you had the wrong type of mushrooms in your breakfast omelet
Maigh Eo for Sam

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2022, 02:05:20 PM »

PG: Kolek, S. Jones
G: Mitchell, Ellis, K. Jones, Ross
F: Joplin, OMax, Itejere, Oso

That leaves 3 spots. 2 if Greg or Justin are back. 1 if both Greg and Justin are back.

A few things:

I think our PG spot next year is as good as you'll find in the country in terms of true PG play offensively. Kolek is elite at setting up teammates and Sean Jones will be more of the same. Defense will be the ? for these 2, but isn't a concern to this point.

The Guards are good. Kam can light it up. Stevie is a menace defensively and driving and cutting. Ross is ELITE athletically. Ellis does a little bit of it all. We all have our own opinions, but I think Darryl is why this team is successful.  He is so good defensively as the leader and his offense is big especially when it matters most. I think Shaka will look to find another veteran guard with skills similar to what Darryl brings.

The Forwards will be fine. OMax and Joplin are both guys that can defend multiple positions and stretch the floor.  Oso is just solid. Shaka will definitely look to add a 4/5 type whether Lewis is back or not to replace the depth Kur provides now.

We are in a good spot but we should enjoy now! Shaka will make it all work out regardless of what happens after March. He's already got a Top 25 team and he's probably not even on a first name basis with some people around the University yet! Let it play out!
VIOLENCE!

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2022, 02:18:34 PM »
this is just wild optimism. so if this year is as bad as gets under shaka weve basically reached nova status already.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2022, 02:42:26 PM »
this is just wild optimism. so if this year is as bad as gets under shaka weve basically reached nova status already.

Not already, still have to do it
TAMU

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2022, 02:54:56 PM »
Not already, still have to do it

I don't think so, pretty sure we can crown ourselves defacto future champions twice over.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2022, 02:55:45 PM »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2022, 03:27:55 PM »
PG: Kolek, S. Jones
G: Mitchell, Ellis, K. Jones, Ross
F: Joplin, OMax, Itejere, Oso

That leaves 3 spots. 2 if Greg or Justin are back. 1 if both Greg and Justin are back.

A few things:

I think our PG spot next year is as good as you'll find in the country in terms of true PG play offensively. Kolek is elite at setting up teammates and Sean Jones will be more of the same. Defense will be the ? for these 2, but isn't a concern to this point.

The Guards are good. Kam can light it up. Stevie is a menace defensively and driving and cutting. Ross is ELITE athletically. Ellis does a little bit of it all. We all have our own opinions, but I think Darryl is why this team is successful.  He is so good defensively as the leader and his offense is big especially when it matters most. I think Shaka will look to find another veteran guard with skills similar to what Darryl brings.

The Forwards will be fine. OMax and Joplin are both guys that can defend multiple positions and stretch the floor.  Oso is just solid. Shaka will definitely look to add a 4/5 type whether Lewis is back or not to replace the depth Kur provides now.

We are in a good spot but we should enjoy now! Shaka will make it all work out regardless of what happens after March. He's already got a Top 25 team and he's probably not even on a first name basis with some people around the University yet! Let it play out!

Greg is a Covid free year, so they can have 14 on the team if they want,  so he has 2 open and 3 if Lewis leaves.  It would nice to have a good player stay for
2 years instead of leaving.  Carton, not sure how much fun he is having.  Garcia going somewhere else for sure did not help him.  Sometimes it is best to stay
where you are.  One more year for Lewis would probably really up his draft status, unless he plays like last game consistently, different story.  First game I was wrong,
he looked like a player that wanted to rebound, lets see what happens tonight!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2022, 03:36:22 PM »
Greg is a Covid free year, so they can have 14 on the team if they want,  so he has 2 open and 3 if Lewis leaves.

I thought this was true but was incorrect. That only applies to this year's seniors. Greg counts next season.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2022, 03:38:39 PM »
I don't think Greg's got too many more years on the team.

3 ... 4 tops!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2022, 04:27:29 PM »
Greg IS the new Van Wilder

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2022, 04:46:49 PM »
He's on the Decade Plan.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2022, 04:58:39 PM »

he's the new Tommy in Tommy Boy as he's at Marquette not Coolidge College.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2022, 05:36:28 PM »
I don't think Greg's got too many more years on the team.

3 ... 4 tops!

Couple more years and he'll catch our Irish record holder.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2022, 05:38:33 PM »
It took me 9.5 years to graduate, and I will give Greg a pass on being here a couple more years.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2022, 06:20:59 PM »
It took me 9.5 years to graduate, and I will give Greg a pass on being here a couple more years.

Really wanted to keep those student tickets huh?
Maigh Eo for Sam

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2022, 06:28:14 PM »
Integrate the 2 freshman Guard recruits and Ellis and Itejere.  Play Kam Jones more. Add one or two transfers (likely in the front court).

We'll be alright.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2022, 06:41:50 PM »
Galway

A bit of underachiever in the classroom, but enjoyed the rest of the experience quite a bit.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2022, 09:37:35 AM »
Galway

A bit of underachiever in the classroom, but enjoyed the rest of the experience quite a bit.

Took me 5 with non stop summer school I can relate. Hell you got the piece of paper and that's what counts!
Maigh Eo for Sam

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2022, 10:44:43 AM »

Fun Fact:  Greg played at the Bradley Center

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2022, 11:03:03 AM »
Fun Fact:  Greg played at the Bradley Center

Did he also play at the MECCA Arena?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2022, 06:55:20 PM »
Couple more years and he'll catch our Irish record holder.
Heard a rumor that the Irish one has eligibility left and will use it if his record is broken.
Goal is National Championship