[Today at 09:32:37 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19  (Read 127469 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19
« Reply #700 on: October 21, 2018, 03:27:52 PM »
Chicago/New England finish looked like a Lions game.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #701 on: October 21, 2018, 03:52:44 PM »
Yeah Panthers!

What a comeback on the road against the defending champions!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #702 on: October 21, 2018, 06:32:16 PM »
Jay Gruden beats Jason Garrett in a battle of two coaches who try to play as conservatively as possible.

Sheesh that was terrible. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #703 on: October 22, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
Chicago/New England finish looked like a Lions game.

Perfect representation of that game and how Mitch played.  Just not quite good enough.  For all the magic he did with his feet (which was incredible), he overthrew so many receivers that I lost count.  Add in giving up 2 TDs on special teams, and yea, thats how you fall just short against a team like the Patriots.

Trey Burton is a BEAST.  Felt like the old Greg Olsen days where he was the only one getting open.

Also, was at the game, the Trubisky TD run happened right in front of me, and it was WILD in person.  Looked like a disaster, then hoped he'd just throw it away, and then it all developed.  What a patient run.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #704 on: October 22, 2018, 10:05:08 AM »
Mitch needs to learn to pass outside of the hashmarks.  The Pats gave him the middle (see Burton and Cohen) including his scrambles but pressured the perimeter. Others will copy what the Pats employed but his volume to the outside was low and his decision making was poor outside the dashes.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #705 on: October 22, 2018, 10:46:31 AM »
Don't disagree with the last 2 posts at all. I think Mitch is improving, overall. This team is at least 1 year away from being truly competitive.

Right now my bigger concern is the D. Where is any pass rush? Other than Nichols yesterday, where are the guys making lots of money? Goldman, Hicks, Floyd, etc. Mack is clearly injured/hobbled. But we got nothing on Brady (or Brock last week) and neither of those O-lines are outstanding.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #706 on: October 22, 2018, 10:54:41 AM »
Don't disagree with the last 2 posts at all. I think Mitch is improving, overall. This team is at least 1 year away from being truly competitive.

Right now my bigger concern is the D. Where is any pass rush? Other than Nichols yesterday, where are the guys making lots of money? Goldman, Hicks, Floyd, etc. Mack is clearly injured/hobbled. But we got nothing on Brady (or Brock last week) and neither of those O-lines are outstanding.

Without Mack at his best, they truly lack the explosive pass rush.  So if you dont have someone in the backfield like THAT, you just scheme for short quick passes and pick on a soft tackling secondary.  Its what the Dolphins did, and the Pats did it even better.

Also, Kyle Fuller still doesn't know how to turn around to look for the ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #707 on: October 22, 2018, 12:13:09 PM »
Without Mack at his best, they truly lack the explosive pass rush.  So if you dont have someone in the backfield like THAT, you just scheme for short quick passes and pick on a soft tackling secondary.  Its what the Dolphins did, and the Pats did it even better.

Also, Kyle Fuller still doesn't know how to turn around to look for the ball.

Collingsworth, when he stopped babbling for a minute last night, had a good piece on Andy Reid and Mahomes.  They showed Mack taking 11 steps from the outside to get to a sack even with his speed and how the Chiefs' offense is designed with RPO to give it up in 5-8 steps.  The conclusion was middle rush pressure is critical to stop today's offenses like the Chiefs (and the Bears don't have it).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #708 on: October 22, 2018, 01:18:11 PM »
Trey Burton is a BEAST.  Felt like the old Greg Olsen days where he was the only one getting open.

Is this where I say "Thanks!" again? If so ...

THANKS!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #709 on: October 22, 2018, 02:18:41 PM »
Dallas gives Oakland their 2019 1st round pick for Amari Cooper.
Oakland in full on tank mode. (blows-a for Bosa?)
Dallas way overpaid for an inconsistent and injury-prone wideout who's 1.5 seasons from free agency.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #710 on: October 22, 2018, 02:37:06 PM »
Skol Vikings, we are the best!

PS- I need 2 for Sunday night’s game - please give to me so I get it for THE FREE!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #711 on: October 22, 2018, 02:58:01 PM »
Dallas gives Oakland their 2019 1st round pick for Amari Cooper.
Oakland in full on tank mode. (blows-a for Bosa?)
Dallas way overpaid for an inconsistent and injury-prone wideout who's 1.5 seasons from free agency.

As maligned as the Mack trade was, this is a flat out brilliant move by the Raiders. I have no clue what the Cowboys are doing here, I would have struggled to offer up a 5th rounder for Cooper, that's a heist to get a potential top 10 pick for Cooper.

Raiders could pick 1, 10ish, 16ish in next years draft.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #712 on: October 22, 2018, 03:12:01 PM »
As maligned as the Mack trade was, this is a flat out brilliant move by the Raiders. I have no clue what the Cowboys are doing here, I would have struggled to offer up a 5th rounder for Cooper, that's a heist to get a potential top 10 pick for Cooper.

Also, about $75 million in cap space with a free agent class that could feature Le'Veon Bell, Clowney, Suh, Sheldon Richardson, Frank Clark, CJ Mosley, Earl Thomas. Landon Collins and more (of course, half these guys will likely never get there).
Not sure anyone should trust Gruden to get it right, but the pieces are in place for a quick rebuild.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #713 on: October 22, 2018, 03:31:26 PM »

Agree. Was Jerry drinking?  Raiders setting themselves up for Vegas...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #714 on: October 22, 2018, 06:11:39 PM »
Across the board, offensive linemen being called for holding is a joke.

For example....

https://twitter.com/BearsBarroom/status/1054092831390863360?s=19

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #715 on: October 22, 2018, 06:24:38 PM »
For example....

https://twitter.com/BearsBarroom/status/1054092831390863360?s=19

I liked the first comment "the NFL rule 4.01, the NE Patriots do not get called for holding ever."

I've noticed that in watching their games, holding calls are a joke in the NFL in general, but the Patriots are probably the worst offenders and it is never called.  Got to protect Brady.

I remember a game earlier this year, where the defender was actually tackled from behind by the offensive player right in front of an official.  No call.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #716 on: October 22, 2018, 08:02:23 PM »
If the NFL is giving holding calls, how the effort does Bulaga get it called so much? He's just that bad, right?

He's going to have a really nice 2019 season with the Bears.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #717 on: October 23, 2018, 08:46:24 AM »
Hall of Fame receiver and Fox Sports analyst Cris Carter on Cam Newton leading the Panthers back from a 17-point 4th-quarter deficit to defeat the defending Super Bowl champion Eagles:

“If this was Tom Brady (who) had done that, if he had a 133 passer rating in the fourth quarter, at Philadelphia, we’d be talking about it. If it was Aaron Rodgers, we would have talked about it. If Cam Newton was up 17 points and Carson Wentz had come back, we would have talked about it. Cam Newton beat the world champs with his head. This is what we know (how) Cam Newton is capable of playing. This is the level we know Cam Newton is capable of playing. His MVP season we saw it almost week after week after week. .... It was a tremendous game by one of our best quarterbacks that we have, on the road against the world champs.”

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #718 on: October 23, 2018, 09:35:48 AM »
Hall of Fame receiver and Fox Sports analyst Cris Carter on Cam Newton leading the Panthers back from a 17-point 4th-quarter deficit to defeat the defending Super Bowl champion Eagles:

“If this was Tom Brady (who) had done that, if he had a 133 passer rating in the fourth quarter, at Philadelphia, we’d be talking about it. If it was Aaron Rodgers, we would have talked about it. If Cam Newton was up 17 points and Carson Wentz had come back, we would have talked about it. Cam Newton beat the world champs with his head. This is what we know (how) Cam Newton is capable of playing. This is the level we know Cam Newton is capable of playing. His MVP season we saw it almost week after week after week. .... It was a tremendous game by one of our best quarterbacks that we have, on the road against the world champs.”

I think the question that remains is: why is it that quarterbacks like Cam Newton don't seem to get the credit that Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Wentz get? 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #719 on: October 23, 2018, 09:50:05 AM »
I think the question that remains is: why is it that quarterbacks like Cam Newton don't seem to get the credit that Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Wentz get?

Because all of those guys have something on their finger that $cam doesn't, and the first 3 are head and shoulders better football players than $cam is.

Also, what credit does Wentz get?  When he was killing it to start last year as a second year player, yes he was getting praise.  This year?  I haven't paid nearly as much attention to the NFL as I normally do, but I don't see anyone really glorifying him other than "He's better than Nick Foles."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #720 on: October 23, 2018, 10:07:55 AM »
Here in Charlotte, I definitely hear thinly veiled racist remarks about Cam all the time. There were (white) people here who actually wanted Derek Anderson to start over Cam because Anderson is "more humble." One yahoo actually told me he thought Cam was "too colorful." Those were his exact words. Lots of racists here in North Cackilacky.

And I do agree with Carter that if Brady or Rodgers had executed that comeback, it would have been the No. 1 story on every NFL recap. It was Cam, though, so it wasn't even mentioned in the first segment of any of them; and then, it was mentioned in the context of the defending champs blowing the game. Cam definitely didn't get his due in the programs I watched.

However, I also agree with wades that Brady, Rodgers and Brees have proven to be much better than Cam over the long haul and have earned their accolades.

Whether Cam's race had something to do with the generally muted response to what truly was an incredible fourth-quarter performance, none of us can know that. I like to think not.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #721 on: October 23, 2018, 10:18:21 AM »
Because all of those guys have something on their finger that $cam doesn't, and the first 3 are head and shoulders better football players than $cam is.

Why the nickname?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #722 on: October 23, 2018, 10:27:45 AM »

Why the nickname?

Becau$e that'$ been hi$ nickname $ince the day he hi$ dad wa$ paid to $tep on the Auburn campu$.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #723 on: October 23, 2018, 10:32:07 AM »

Why the nickname?

Because he doesn't like him over an admittedly very stupid thing did when Cam was 19 and something his father orchestrated during his recruitment, and in typical Wades fashion, he can't ever let anything go.

On topic, the legacy of Cam Newton, barring notable future playoff success, will be VERY interesting.  When he's been on, he's unstoppable.  He may not have the accuracy of Rodgers or Brady, but neither of them had the potential to be a RB/TE in the open field or short yardage like him.   However, he's been very inconsistent.  Thats part of why I feel he's been underrated as a passer.  People see his ability to move outside of the pocket, and his inconsistency, and he gets labeled another inaccurate "running QB".

However, he's still young, his game is entirely predicated on his legs, so he can age well like other QBs if he stays healthy and not beat up, and he's well positioned to have success when Brady/Brees (and to a lesser extent) Rodgers retire in a few years.  I hope he puts it together cause he is REALLY fun to watch.  Be nice if they could get him another stud WR.  Demaryius Thomas is available...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #724 on: October 23, 2018, 10:34:44 AM »
Becau$e that'$ been hi$ nickname $ince the day he hi$ dad wa$ paid to $tep on the Auburn campu$.

Very odd thing to hang onto what he did at that age considering what he has done since.  And I'm not sure why you would focus on him since, if we have learned anything, dozens of players have likely received similar payments without you applying a similar nickname.