[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023 Ryder Cup  (Read 10193 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: 2023 Ryder Cup
« Reply #275 on: October 01, 2023, 07:52:05 PM »
Typical American performance, such a tough team to root for.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #276 on: October 01, 2023, 08:45:09 PM »
Typical American performance, such a tough team to root for.

Homa was great, Cantlay and Harmon had moments. That was about it.

When their best are almost running the table and our best (Scheffler, WTF) suck you cannot win.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #277 on: October 01, 2023, 09:29:37 PM »
Homa was great, Cantlay and Harmon had moments. That was about it.

When their best are almost running the table and our best (Scheffler, WTF) suck you cannot win.

Scheffler & Koepka lost a 4-Ball match 9& 7.   I repeat:  9&7.  I get Zach Johnson taking significant blame but when you're that bad as the #1 player in the world, and a guy with 5 Majors, that's either mystifying or totally inexcusable.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #278 on: October 02, 2023, 06:43:56 AM »
SI's Jeff Ritter graded each player for both teams.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/ryder-cup-2023-grades-for-every-player?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=morning-read-newsletter-&date=2023-10-02

Highest score, A+, went to Rory and Homa. Six others got A or A-: Rahm, Hovland, Fleetwood, Hatton, Aberg, Cantlay. (I agree about all except Aberg; silly to give an A for potential.)

Four F's: Scheffler, Morikawa, Spieth and Fowler. Of the latter, Ritter said: "Probably wishes he just stayed at the gala."

Zach Johnson got a C-, Luke Donald an A+.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #279 on: October 02, 2023, 06:57:38 AM »
I had no idea that players weren’t paid to participate in the Cup, and no idea why that would be controversial.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #280 on: October 02, 2023, 07:05:00 AM »
SI's Jeff Ritter graded each player for both teams.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/ryder-cup-2023-grades-for-every-player?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=morning-read-newsletter-&date=2023-10-02

Highest score, A+, went to Rory and Homa. Six others got A or A-: Rahm, Hovland, Fleetwood, Hatton, Aberg, Cantlay. (I agree about all except Aberg; silly to give an A for potential.)

Four F's: Scheffler, Morikawa, Spieth and Fowler. Of the latter, Ritter said: "Probably wishes he just stayed at the gala."

Zach Johnson got a C-, Luke Donald an A+.

Zach got a C-??  This guy is an idiot.   
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #281 on: October 02, 2023, 08:01:46 AM »
Zach got a C-??  This guy is an idiot.

F?  D+?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #282 on: October 02, 2023, 08:12:57 AM »
F?  D+?

What’s lower than F?  Zach was a disaster

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #283 on: October 02, 2023, 08:15:11 AM »
I had no idea that players weren’t paid to participate in the Cup, and no idea why that would be controversial.

Yea, for as huge of an event it is, I’m a bit surprised they aren’t paid. I wonder if their endorsement contracts give them bonuses.

Based on the travel and time commitment, it feels like they should make something.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #284 on: October 02, 2023, 08:17:00 AM »
What’s lower than F?  Zach was a disaster

Tiger next team C?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #285 on: October 02, 2023, 08:51:32 AM »
Yea, for as huge of an event it is, I’m a bit surprised they aren’t paid. I wonder if their endorsement contracts give them bonuses.

Based on the travel and time commitment, it feels like they should make something.

20% of the revenue goes to the PGA Tour proper.  The money is largely placed into the players pension fund. 

The player also receive money for their respective charities.

Is it enough?  I don’t know the answer but if X and Pat the Hat don’t want to play without a bigger paycheck, next man up.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #286 on: October 02, 2023, 08:53:10 AM »
Tiger next team C?

Rumor has it it’s supposed to be Stewart Cink for Bethpage.  FIGJAM was supposed to get that one before the Saudi’s bought off his gambling debts. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #287 on: October 02, 2023, 09:14:33 AM »
The hat thing cracked me up. I enjoyed the fans getting into it, and got a kick out of some of the U.S. players giving it back to them. Trash talk in a game like golf if is fun.

Of course, the Euros and their fans could have always responded the time-honored way by simply saying: "Scoreboard!"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #288 on: October 02, 2023, 09:17:16 AM »
The hat thing cracked me up. I enjoyed the fans getting into it, and got a kick out of some of the U.S. players giving it back to them. Trash talk in a game like golf if is fun.

Of course, the Euros and their fans could have always responded the time-honored way by simply saying: "Scoreboard!"

Bethpage is going to be bad.  Euro and the Euro press better get some real thick skin between now and then

MU82

• All American
« Reply #289 on: October 02, 2023, 09:38:37 AM »
Bethpage is going to be bad.  Euro and the Euro press better get some real thick skin between now and then

Agree, though I naively hope it's only as "bad" as these Euro fans were. I didn't watch it all, but I watched a lot, and I never heard anybody yell during a backswing or a putt or anything like that. They generally were quiet when they were supposed to be. I hope that'll be the case at Bethpage, too. If it is, what they yell during the not-quiet moments shouldn't matter much.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #290 on: October 02, 2023, 09:46:34 AM »
Agree, though I naively hope it's only as "bad" as these Euro fans were. I didn't watch it all, but I watched a lot, and I never heard anybody yell during a backswing or a putt or anything like that. They generally were quiet when they were supposed to be. I hope that'll be the case at Bethpage, too. If it is, what they yell during the not-quiet moments shouldn't matter much.

I have my doubts that happens.  I think it’ll be bad, like Brookline bad. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #291 on: October 02, 2023, 10:39:05 AM »
Bethpage will set new standards for inappropriate behavior.   I will set the over/under for European players or caddies stopped from going into the crowd after a heckler at 4.

The money thing goes back to David Duval and Brookline, IIRC.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #292 on: October 02, 2023, 10:44:48 AM »
Any explanation as to why Scheffy, Morikawa, and Speith in particular were cataclysmic disasters?  I heard Speith literally looked like a muni hack.  What's up with the dude?

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #293 on: October 02, 2023, 10:48:57 AM »
Any explanation as to why Scheffy, Morikawa, and Speith in particular were cataclysmic disasters?  I heard Speith literally looked like a muni hack.  What's up with the dude?
All the US guys hadn’t played in a month+

tower912

• All American
« Reply #294 on: October 02, 2023, 10:51:41 AM »

Spieth just became a dad.   As family focused as he is, I have to believe that his preparation and focus for golf were not normal.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #295 on: October 02, 2023, 10:55:44 AM »
Spieth just became a dad.   As family focused as he is, I have to believe that his preparation and focus for golf were not normal.

Also, looking at how he’s played the last few years, it’s not too surprising. He bounced back this year but he was playing at Fowler levels for awhile I think.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #296 on: October 02, 2023, 10:56:12 AM »

Took a month off.  Morikawa sucked this year.  Scheffler is rebuilding his entire putting stroke.  Spieth is a massive hit or miss player and Tower is right, just had a kid.

Cantlay is getting married today, so he planned his wedding for the day after the Ryder Cup.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #297 on: October 02, 2023, 01:28:46 PM »
Spieth is a notorious over-thinker on the course. When things aren't going well, he can be a real mess.

That situation with Zach Johnson followed by the shot into the drink was something. I'd love to know what really went on there. But Spieth was a disaster even before that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #298 on: October 02, 2023, 02:11:06 PM »
Should have gotten you, Goose, Muggsy, and Rico. (If Rico would deign to be seen in public)  If nothing else, having you guys being mic'd up would have been must see.   

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #299 on: October 02, 2023, 02:14:45 PM »
Should have gotten you, Goose, Muggsy, and Rico. (If Rico would deign to be seen in public)  If nothing else, having you guys being mic'd up would have been must see.

I can tell you this, I’d have left Spieth, JT, Morikawa and Flower at home and sent Cantlay and X to Saudi Arabia.  We may not have won but we would have had a better chance

feedback