[Today at 05:15:30 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who is MU's "Most Famous" Alum?  (Read 17380 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Who is MU's "Most Famous" Alum?
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2012, 09:13:26 AM »
So Michael Jordan is UNC most famous alum?

Is the answer to this question always the athlete or movie star that is the flavor of the moment and never people that do things of significance, good or bad (McCarthy)?

Yes, MJ is the most famous UNC alum. In the late 90s, it was estimated that ~95% of the people IN THE WORLD knew who Michael Jordan was. More people knew him than knew Bill Clinton.

The question you posed was not: "What MU alum has had the greatest impact on society?" The question was: "Who is the most famous?"

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2012, 09:26:08 AM »
Two more for the list.  Don Ameche (well, he was for the old crooners and fans of the movie "Trading Places") and Tom Snyder.

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2012, 09:28:59 AM »
D. Wade. End of discussion.

bdee29

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2012, 09:32:27 AM »
D Wade didn't graduate from Marquette so technically he can't be an alumnus. Sorry to burst the bubble here.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2012, 09:37:46 AM »
D Wade didn't graduate from Marquette so technically he can't be an alumnus. Sorry to burst the bubble here.

How many times do we need to rehash this.

Alumni: graduate or former student of a school, college, or university.

Does not have to be a graduate.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2012, 09:42:47 AM »
I am older, so this may seem dated, but some pretty widely-exposed alumni include famous movie actors, Pat O'Brien and Amy (Madigan? I'm losin' it but she played opposite Kevin Costner in "Field of Dreams" and the female lead in a favorite Chicago movie, "Uncle Buck.")

truly laughable that is a thread about most famous alumni  you mention someone that you cannoy remeber there last name!!!  ???   :o ::)

I think if you cannot remeber there last name they might not qualify...... :-[

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2012, 09:43:08 AM »
Agreed. 100 years from now Wade will be a footnote in the post-Jordan era of American sports.

McCarthyism will always have its own sorry and sad history.

Don't you mean awesome history.  Take that commies. 

bdee29

• Walk-On
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »

How many times do we need to rehash this.

Alumni: graduate or former student of a school, college, or university.

Does not have to be a graduate.

didn't know what we were going by. sorry. if that's the case then yes, my vote goes to D Wade.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2012, 09:50:24 AM »
Scott Walker after he becomes POTUS

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2012, 10:04:14 AM »
Don't forget Rondell Sheridan, a/k/a the dad on "That's So Raven".

He shows up for alumni events all the time.

Rondell Sheridan was on my list of favorite stand-up comedians... he's now at the top of that list.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Atlanta Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2012, 12:47:09 PM »
Everyone is forgetting actor Pat O'Brien's most valuable contribution.  He and Bing Crosby founded Del Mar Race Track (horse racing's most picturesque venue) along the Pacific just north of San Diego.  Where the surf meets the turf  in old Del Mar.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2012, 01:06:46 PM »
Agreed. 100 years from now Wade will be a footnote in the post-Jordan era of American sports.

McCarthyism will always have its own sorry and sad history.

not sure what part about defending america from communism is a "sorry and sad history". But that's just me. I like America and recognize the evils of communism...

--
It's really tough to decipher "Most Famous". I bet if Chris Farley was still alive it might be easier to make an argument for him. He'd still be relatively young and he would have been the voice of the Shrek series. ... Damn he was talented.

My hope is that in 10 years we'll be able to say Danny Pudi. Seriously Community is one of the best written shows on TV. It's probably too clever for it's own good, but I hope it's a good jumping off point for him.

Wade is probably the most recognizable MU alum, so I guess thats what most people will point to. But Wade, and Walker are currently at the height of their popularity, judging them in a decade or so may add perspective to how famous they are.

Scott Walker after he becomes POTUS

his lack of a degree will likely cap him at VPOTUS or a Cabinet position.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »
Wade is probably the most recognizable MU alum, so I guess thats what most people will point to. But Wade, and Walker are currently at the height of their popularity, judging them in a decade or so may add perspective to how famous they are.

his lack of a degree will likely cap him at VPOTUS or a Cabinet position.

Father Pilarz should put the arm on him to finish up his degree.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »
McCarthy is completely irrelevant outside of the USA.  He's barely relevant outside of Wisconsin anymore.

Not true. A ton of ex-KGB officials and Russian insiders know McCarthy well. He was the most valuable Communist operative in the United States in the entire Cold War era.

cj111

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2012, 01:19:37 PM »
not sure what part about defending america from communism is a "sorry and sad history".

the hysterical paranoiac ruining innocent people's lives part?

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2012, 01:29:15 PM »
By your logic Georgetown's most famous alum will be Sandra Fluke when she graduates (she is the woman that Limbaugh slured).

I guess it all depends on what you think the words "most famous" means.  Does it mean who wins a popularity poll today or who will stand the test of time?  That's why I said Metcalfe is more famous as his accomplishment will stand the test of time more than Wade.

You seem upset at how people are voting.  You said famous which generally is termed to be widely known or notorious, celebrated.  By that definition, Wade hands down.

Accomplishments is an entirely different matter.  How many Americans could tell you today who cured Polio?  I'd bet less than 20% and that number will continue to shrink.  If you want a different answer, maybe your question should be what alumnus has made the biggest impact to society. 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

leever

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2012, 01:34:14 PM »
You seem upset at how people are voting.  You said famous which generally is termed to be widely known or notorious, celebrated.  By that definition, Wade hands down.

Accomplishments is an entirely different matter.  How many Americans could tell you today who cured Polio?  I'd bet less than 20% and that number will continue to shrink.  If you want a different answer, maybe your question should be what alumnus has made the biggest impact to society. 

Jonas Salk FTW!  Although I don't think he went to Marquette.  Also, doesn't "cure" imply that someone had a disease and later did not due to some procedure or medication?  I don't think Salk "cured" anyone who had polio although obviously he did develop the vaccine to prevent it.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »
Jonas Salk FTW!  Although I don't think he went to Marquette.  Also, doesn't "cure" imply that someone had a disease and later did not due to some procedure or medication?  I don't think Salk "cured" anyone who had polio although obviously he did develop the vaccine to prevent it.

Good point.  Developed the vaccine. 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2012, 01:41:04 PM »
the hysterical paranoiac ruining innocent people's lives part?

Looks like he didn't succeed

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2012, 05:49:41 PM »
The question you posed was not: "What MU alum has had the greatest impact on society?" The question was: "Who is the most famous?"

When I think of "famous" I think of the test of time.  Not who would win the popularity contest this afternoon.

I agree that Wade wins it now.  70 years from now I'll bet his level of "famous" is less than Metcalfe, O'Brien or McCarthy.  So, I'm trying to look at "famous" from a bigger viewpoint than just now.

Incidentally I was emailing with an old MU buddy today and I brought up this thread and he (correctly) reminded me that this question came up in the early 1980s when we were in school.  We think in the MU Trib and the winner was Tom Snyder (then host of the "Tomorrow Show") followed by McCarthy.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2012, 06:44:51 PM »
When I think of "famous" I think of the test of time.  Not who would win the popularity contest this afternoon.

I agree that Wade wins it now.  70 years from now I'll bet his level of "famous" is less than Metcalfe, O'Brien or McCarthy.  So, I'm trying to look at "famous" from a bigger viewpoint than just now.

Incidentally I was emailing with an old MU buddy today and I brought up this thread and he (correctly) reminded me that this question came up in the early 1980s when we were in school.  We think in the MU Trib and the winner was Tom Snyder (then host of the "Tomorrow Show") followed by McCarthy.

If Ed Brennan gets listed, than Jeff Joerres needs to be mentioned.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2012, 07:23:49 PM »

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't Wade end up getting a degree?

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2012, 07:51:19 PM »
How about the "Incomparable Hildegarde?"

Or maybe Don McNeil, host of the long-running "Don McNeil's Breakfast Club," based in Chicago?
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2012, 07:53:15 PM »
Can Walker be considered an alum without graduating...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2012, 08:21:47 PM »
Can Walker be considered an alum without graduating...

Was thinking the same thing.  Same with Wade.  And Farley I believe.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback