[Today at 01:43:12 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:47:04 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Badgerhater
[Today at 11:58:05 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:43:15 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Press conference  (Read 14107 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Press conference
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 10:46:12 PM »
You're right 4ever. I caught that too. Doyel was too specific, a family of 4, referring to the scene as something straight out of Norman Rockwell.

Someone's lying here...

That's why I was skeptical of the initial report.

billymac3

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »
Whoa .. hey, IIRC, didn't Crean's mom end up in the hospital during the E8 game in Minnesota? 

#AnotherSimilarityTo2003

Creans mom was at the final 4 in New Orleans.... She was faking, she just could not take it anymore.... In retrospect I wish I would have thought of that.

mumike22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 10:47:37 PM »
He said his two daughters are at home...

chapman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2013, 11:08:48 PM »
Very depressing press conference for Butler, handled very professionally by Coach Stevens even though you could tell it was really tough for him.  Glad we don't have to be the ones feeling this way tonight.

MU presser just went up now...24 minutes long.

http://www.ncaa.com/menshighlights

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 11:16:32 PM »
I don't know what you guys are doing, but leave it alone w the mans family for chrissake.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2013, 11:26:46 PM »
I don't know what you guys are doing, but leave it alone w the mans family for chrissake.

Amen. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2013, 11:28:55 PM »

Whoa, this is getting odd.

That sums it up pretty well.  It was odd.  I don't know why he was going down the NCAA money thing.  Buzz is set for life because of that NCAA money thing.  Kind of weird.

thehammock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2013, 11:31:47 PM »
Seemed like he was really upset that they had to fly home right away. That may have triggered his comments.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2013, 11:33:49 PM »
He seemed a bit irked and wears his emotions on his sleeves which is why many of us love him. You take the good emotions on the sleeve with the bad in this case. He seemed testy toward the guy directing it all, but personally I think that's just his sarcastic sense of humor that is probably lost on most of those who don't know him well. It's the same kind of humor he thrashes his own team with at the Buzz BBQ most years.

Brad Steven's press conference is mighty insightful. He is a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2013, 11:36:29 PM »
He seemed a bit irked and wears his emotions on his sleeves which is why many of us love him. You take the good emotions on the sleeve with the bad in this case. He seemed testy toward the guy directing it all, but personally I think that's just his sarcastic sense of humor that is probably lost on most of those who don't know him well. It's the same kind of humor he thrashes his own team with at the Buzz BBQ most years.

"I love to holler at Junior."

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2013, 11:42:55 PM »
"The toughest/most fragile thing in life is consistency"

I think Buzz will be here a while
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2013, 11:43:21 PM »
Listening to the presser again .. still doesn't make sense.

A reporter asked Buzz .. "Coach Stevens said in the final 2 seconds you made an adjustment that confused them.  Can you tell us what that was?"

Buzz (snaps?) "No.  I like you, but no.  I can't.  Your question was can I explain that, my answer is no."

Next guy asks a question, Buzz stops him and returns to the original journalist .. goes wayyy off the rails, talking about how hard it is to get a job in the coaching world .. takes a swipe at (bloggers?) twitterers, people who haven't earned the job as journalists (?) .. but are treated as journalists.  Rambles some more .. "Hardest thing in life to get is momentum. Hardest thing to keep is momentum.  I don't want to play in the NCAA tournament any more.  And as humble as I can say it, I want to see if we can win another game." ?????

"So the reason my answer is no, is because .. next game is a one possession game.  I'm not a genius .. I want to be tough .. "

Then he fires off the comments about not being able to go back to the hotel because of the NCAA. (??)

At best, his answer was something about wanting to keep his coaching a secret, so he could use it again next game...???  

Odd, odd.

Nancy Armour asked a q from the AP.  I imagine she's the Nancy Armour from MU, graduated around 1990.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2013, 11:45:29 PM »

Brad Steven's press conference is mighty insightful. He is a genius.

It's funny, go to the Butler boards right now and they are pretty steamed at their inability, too, to get the ball in bounds.  As a few have said, "Brad is a brilliant tactician but he can't get his team to get a ball in bounds" 

I don't know why this is so hard for teams, it's a basic play. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2013, 11:46:51 PM »
It was odd..but it wasn't really rude.  He's entitled to ramble a bit.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2013, 11:47:34 PM »

At best, his answer was something about wanting to keep his coaching a secret, so he could use it again next game...???  

Odd, odd.

Nancy Armour asked a q from the AP.  I imagine she's the Nancy Armour from MU, graduated around 1990.

I just watched it (first time I listened to it), and I think that's what it was....didn't want to reveal too much.

Just Buzz being Buzz...sometimes he's an oddball.  Nothing wrong with it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2013, 11:47:52 PM »
Then a reporter asks if MU did something different on Rotnei Clark .. went last 15 mins without scoring (a legit question, Clarke was crushing MU by himself) ..

Buzz's answer "Yes. (we did something different.)"  (Can you explain?)  "No, I won't explain.  Why would you ask that, you come to every press conference.  YOu just heard me tell Roger (the dude he went off on) .. you're my boy but I didn't tell him, I aint tellin you."

Buzz seemed .. under tremendous stress.  (duh.)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2013, 11:54:53 PM »
Another typical, that being excessively strange and unpredictable, Buzz presser.  

On Junior: "I just like hollering at him.  He can take it."

Brad Stevens commented on the defensive look on the last possession confusing his team.  Buzz was asked to explain what they did, and he said "No", not as in he can't explain it, but that there's still ball left to play and he's not giving anything away..."I don't want to play in the NCAA tournament anymore.  I want to see if we can win another game in the NCAA tournament."

Definitely irked at the demands on him and the kids "And we gotta fly out.  All the money that's being generated and we can't even go back to the hotel and lay down or go for a hamburger."

When asked to explain the last 15 minute Clarke defense (I believe by Trebby) also a "No...You're my boy but I ain't tellin' ya."

At the end "I can take these now, right?"  Referring to the placards displaying his and the players' names at the podium.  Grabs all four on his way out.

He really is crazy.  And he really, really wants to win on Thursday.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2013, 11:55:46 PM »
Listening to the presser again .. still doesn't make sense.

A reporter asked Buzz .. "Coach Stevens said in the final 2 seconds you made an adjustment that confused them.  Can you tell us what that was?"

Buzz (snaps?) "No.  I like you, but no.  I can't.  Your question was can I explain that, my answer is no."

Next guy asks a question, Buzz stops him and returns to the original journalist .. goes wayyy off the rails, talking about how hard it is to get a job in the coaching world .. takes a swipe at (bloggers?) twitterers, people who haven't earned the job as journalists (?) .. but are treated as journalists.  Rambles some more .. "Hardest thing in life to get is momentum. Hardest thing to keep is momentum.  I don't want to play in the NCAA tournament any more.  And as humble as I can say it, I want to see if we can win another game." ?????

"So the reason my answer is no, is because .. next game is a one possession game.  I'm not a genius .. I want to be tough .. "

Then he fires off the comments about not being able to go back to the hotel because of the NCAA. (??)

Odd, odd.

There was absolutely nothing odd about anything he said.

If you find it odd, then consider yourself fortunate enough to have a mind that doesn't go 10,000 mph all the time.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2013, 12:01:31 AM »
There was absolutely nothing odd about anything he said.

If you find it odd, then consider yourself fortunate enough to have a mind that doesn't go 10,000 mph all the time.
this.... think it just shows the release of a lot of tension he has to control all game with a ton of stress. Don't think he said anything offensive or that he should have to take back; just has to be the end of a marathon week for him and the team, with his wife undergoing an unexpected emergency procedure, too.

Can't imagine - grateful for Buzz's commitment to the program
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2013, 12:05:21 AM »

Absolutely.  Enough. 

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2013, 12:24:49 AM »

According to the Butler board (can't find the page right now) they had 2 plays, one if MU was in a zone, another for man to man.  They got confused and ran the wrong one.

edit - Per victory firelight, Brad had two play calls for the final play. One for man and one for zone. Players ran the zone play against Marquette's man D.   "They switched their matchups so they put Gardner on the ball on Roosevelt...and I think our guys mistook that for zone."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:28:28 AM by mr.MUskie »

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2013, 12:29:57 AM »
After listening to it, it was totally misrepresented by the folks on twitter. He basically said he wouldn't reveal his in game strategy for guarding inbounds plays and joked trebby about it. He ranted a bit on buzz type stuff, but it was harmless and actually respectful to the reporters in the room. Afar cry from the last two years where he made emotional speeches, but he didn't fly off the handle or attack anyone in the room as w stated by Dan wolken and others.

In buzz we trust.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2013, 12:34:44 AM »
After listening to it, it was totally misrepresented by the folks on twitter. He basically said he wouldn't reveal his in game strategy for guarding inbounds plays and joked trebby about it. He ranted a bit on buzz type stuff, but it was harmless and actually respectful to the reporters in the room. Afar cry from the last two years where he made emotional speeches, but he didn't fly off the handle or attack anyone in the room as w stated by Dan wolken and others.

In buzz we trust.

Wolken is a serial hater. Not good at what he does either.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2013, 12:59:30 AM »
When he said that he did not want play in the NCAA tournament what I believe he means is that he wants to win it not just play in it.
Goal is National Championship

Retire54

• Walk-On
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2013, 01:02:36 AM »
I didn't find it to be anything outside the Buzz norm. He talked about being tested by God multiple times if you don't pass the first time- we got tested by Butler again because we didnt pass the first time and we're getting tested again with the Sweet 16 for the 3rd time to see if we can pass. The reporters wanted to know more about some tactical stuff and Buzz didnt want to explain. Completely understandable as he wants to pass this Sweet 16 very badly