collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Chicago Condos  (Read 5309 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Chicago Condos
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 09:55:07 AM »
Kind of loose with that Chicago term there.....I mean it's not even Cook County  8-)

Haha yup. I was super confused. Said he lived in Chicago and then started talking about Libertyville.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2018, 09:56:15 AM »
When I got to Marquette and started meeting people, it seemed 2 out of every 3 said they were from Chicago. But as we got talking, not a single one of them was really from Chicago. Not a one!

My best friends were from Western Springs and Arlington Heights and Libertyville and Brookfield and Flossmoor. And I ended up marrying a girl from Gurnee. But I didn't meet anybody who really was from Chicago until long after I graduated!

I'm sure that's changed now, as so many people of means choose to live in the city these days. But back then, I used to joke that the population of Chicago must have been 0.

Yeah I knew people from Gurnee and Woodstock who both said they were from Chicago. They were both closer to Wisconsin than Chicago.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2018, 01:57:47 PM »
Yeah I knew people from Gurnee and Woodstock who both said they were from Chicago. They were both closer to Wisconsin than Chicago.

I live in Lake County... when meeting someone from outside the Midwest, I introduce myself as being from Chicago.  I don't think that's all too uncommon.  Just imagine how the conversation would go otherwise.

"Have you heard of Libertyville?  What about Gurnee?  There's a big mall there; ever been?  What about Great Lakes?  Don't know anyone in the Navy, eh?  No, not the Canadian Navy, the US Navy... never mind, it was just a joke.  What about Evanston?  Yes?  Well it's not Evanston, but much further north, and a little west, but it's a separate city like Evanston.  What about Six Flags?  No, not the one in Texas, the one in Chicago.  Well, not in Chicago, but in Gurnee.  Did I already ask you if you knew were Gurnee is?  Oh yeah.  Well it's actually closer to Milwaukee than it is to Chicago, especially in traffic.  Well, not as close as say Minneapolis & St. Paul, but they're closer together than Hartford and Boston.  No... Hartford, Connecticut.  Why would.... is there even a Hartford in Oregon?  No don't look it up, I'll take your word for it, but you're not serious about Oregon to Boston being apropos to the frame of reference, right?  Apropos.  Like appropriate?  Well, i'ts usage was prepositional.... never mind that, let's just say I'm halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee.  Where are you from?  Really?  Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and presume it's not the Naperville in Illinois.  No kidding.  How long have you lived there?  Really?  And you never heard of a Six Flags near Chicago?   Roller coasters?  Yes... Great America is Six Flags.  It's right on the sign?  Never?  In your whole life never?  Well I get that Naperville has everything you'd ever want from Chicago, but you've never driven through Gurnee...  I'm sorry, you've never driven past Great America?  Well sure Chicago is nothing but trouble, but I'm assuming you flew here from O'Hare or Midway... both of those are technically in Chicago you know.  You're kidding?  Is Rockford closer than O'Hare?  So why make the drive?  Was there a direct flight to California?  So how many connections from Rockford to San Diego?  No way... you seriously connected through Hartford - Hartford, Connecticut, right?  Ok... Hartford, Connecticut to San Diego.   I'm sorry, to get to Cheyenne and then to San Diego?  Well, nice to meet you person from Naperville... that's ok, I didn't get your name either.  No worries, I probably won't be going through Naperville anytime soon either."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2018, 02:05:52 PM »
I live in Lake County... when meeting someone from outside the Midwest, I introduce myself as being from Chicago.  I don't think that's all too uncommon.  Just imagine how the conversation would go otherwise.

"Have you heard of Libertyville?  What about Gurnee?  There's a big mall there; ever been?  What about Great Lakes?  Don't know anyone in the Navy, eh?  No, not the Canadian Navy, the US Navy... never mind, it was just a joke.  What about Evanston?  Yes?  Well it's not Evanston, but much further north, and a little west, but it's a separate city like Evanston.  What about Six Flags?  No, not the one in Texas, the one in Chicago.  Well, not in Chicago, but in Gurnee.  Did I already ask you if you knew were Gurnee is?  Oh yeah.  Well it's actually closer to Milwaukee than it is to Chicago, especially in traffic.  Well, not as close as say Minneapolis & St. Paul, but they're closer together than Hartford and Boston.  No... Hartford, Connecticut.  Why would.... is there even a Hartford in Oregon?  No don't look it up, I'll take your word for it, but you're not serious about Oregon to Boston being apropos to the frame of reference, right?  Apropos.  Like appropriate?  Well, i'ts usage was prepositional.... never mind that, let's just say I'm halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee.  Where are you from?  Really?  Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and presume it's not the Naperville in Illinois.  No kidding.  How long have you lived there?  Really?  And you never heard of a Six Flags near Chicago?   Roller coasters?  Yes... Great America is Six Flags.  It's right on the sign?  Never?  In your whole life never?  Well I get that Naperville has everything you'd ever want from Chicago, but you've never driven through Gurnee...  I'm sorry, you've never driven past Great America?  Well sure Chicago is nothing but trouble, but I'm assuming you flew here from O'Hare or Midway... both of those are technically in Chicago you know.  You're kidding?  Is Rockford closer than O'Hare?  So why make the drive?  Was there a direct flight to California?  So how many connections from Rockford to San Diego?  No way... you seriously connected through Hartford - Hartford, Connecticut, right?  Ok... Hartford, Connecticut to San Diego.   I'm sorry, to get to Cheyenne and then to San Diego?  Well, nice to meet you person from Naperville... that's ok, I didn't get your name either.  No worries, I probably won't be going through Naperville anytime soon either."

I think the appropriate termonology when out of town is "I'm from outside Chicago"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2018, 02:17:23 PM »
I think the appropriate termonology when out of town is "I'm from outside Chicago"

Or the old standby "I'm from suburban Chicago". Which they ask, "which suburb?". Then you reply.

As for the kids at MU who were from Chicago, most of friends from the city had parents who worked for the city (cops and such) and were from Beverly. Many of the southside Irish kids from Catholic feeder schools (Marist, Mt. Carmel, ect.)

But I like to throw handfuls...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2018, 02:21:05 PM »
Gurnosha is the next big thing...embrace it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »
They're all FIBs to a cheesehead
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 02:46:57 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2018, 02:51:11 PM »

Superb.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2018, 03:34:20 PM »
Northern Chicagoland, I just leave it at that.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
Gurnosha has a nice ring to it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2018, 06:54:42 PM »
OK, I'll add my story to this one.

We lived in Chicago since 1984. Our first home was in Downers Grove. Our second in Naperville and our third in Libertyville.

We bought in Libertyville in 1994 and have owned there ever since. Our home there is free and clear of any mortgages and other encumbrances. It's a wonderful home in a good community but its valuation CAGR is 1.9 percent. We could have invested in almost anything else with a comparable maturity and done better, especially given the rehabilitation and renovation we've done since 1994.

By contrast, we bought a second home in Vero Beach, FL four years ago. The CAGR on the home is 10.2 percent based on current market estimates. We're here for the long haul, expecting this to be our winter home for years to come. But even if we did not like the community (and we do), we would make out like bandits.

So to Scoop Nation, what should we do about Chicago. Keep in mind we are permanent Florida residents and our children likely will be Midwesterners. What should we consider? Should we sell Libertyville and move to the city? If so, to where?

Or should  we move to Milwaukee? Or Superior?
You are very smart to become a Florida resident. The long term outlook in Illinois is bad. Sell your Libertyville house and get a nice lake house in Wisconsin or Michigan . Your family will have the best of both worlds.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2018, 11:02:18 PM »

Well, Benny, I don't think it's outrageous to say, "I'm from the suburbs of Chicago," but if you wanna say you're from Chicago, that's cool, too.

When I lived there, if I said I was from Chicago, the follow-up usually was, "Oh really? What part?" So I'd have to say where in the city I lived: Lakeview.

Here's a true story:

When I flew back to college after Xmas break my junior year, the guy in the seat next to me asked where I was from.

"Milford, Connecticut."

"Oh, I don't know that one. What's it near?"

"Milford is between Bridgeport and New Haven, on the Long Island Sound."

"Nope, I never heard of those."

"Well, I live about an hour and a half outside of New York."

"Oh! New York! Do you know so-and-so?"

Yep, he asked a kid from Milford, CT if I knew some random guy from the biggest city in the country. Can't make that kind of shyte up!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2018, 11:12:27 PM »
Well, Benny, I don't think it's outrageous to say, "I'm from the suburbs of Chicago," but if you wanna say you're from Chicago, that's cool, too.

When I lived there, if I said I was from Chicago, the follow-up usually was, "Oh really? What part?" So I'd have to say where in the city I lived: Lakeview.

Here's a true story:

When I flew back to college after Xmas break my junior year, the guy in the seat next to me asked where I was from.

"Milford, Connecticut."

"Oh, I don't know that one. What's it near?"

"Milford is between Bridgeport and New Haven, on the Long Island Sound."

"Nope, I never heard of those."

"Well, I live about an hour and a half outside of New York."

"Oh! New York! Do you know so-and-so?"

Yep, he asked a kid from Milford, CT if I knew some random guy from the biggest city in the country. Can't make that kind of shyte up!

I was in Galway when a local asked me where I was from.  Despite me saying I was from Indianapolis (at the time), he asked me if I knew his cousin in Boston.

I suppose if I led with “suburban Indianapolis” he wouldn’t have bothered to ask. 

No, not Galway, Oregon either.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2018, 11:17:13 PM »
Read the Condo Association Rules. You want to have a small pet? Make sure it's allowed. You want to barbecue on the balcony? Make sure it's allowed. If there's a rule prohibiting an activity that you'd like to do in your new condo, you will not be allowed to do it. NEVER think that the rules won't be enforced; there's ALWAYS one unit owner who likes to play condo cop.

And Herman, Illinois is not in the dire shape many like to say it is such as, oh I don't know, our current governor. Things will start looking up next January.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2018, 08:52:48 AM »
Read the Condo Association Rules. You want to have a small pet? Make sure it's allowed. You want to barbecue on the balcony? Make sure it's allowed. If there's a rule prohibiting an activity that you'd like to do in your new condo, you will not be allowed to do it. NEVER think that the rules won't be enforced; there's ALWAYS one unit owner who likes to play condo cop.

Exactly.  Condo and HO associations are typically run by retirees and stay-at-homes.  They can get quite overbearing and become quite overreaching because they typically have nothing else to do to help them feel productive in society.  So FWIW.

feedback