'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Favorite MU player  (Read 24285 times)

JD

• All American
Favorite MU player
« on: January 26, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Hi Gang,

I was having a conversation with a co-worker of mine and he asked me who my favorite MU player is/was.  I told him Travis Diener, please scold me if i'm wrong but i'll never forget when Diener passed the ball to Dwayne in the 2003 elite 8  and started running toward the other end of the court holding up "3".  I'll never forget Travis, one of the greats in my opinion.

Who is your favorite player and why?
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

🏀

• All American
Re: Favorite MU player
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 04:29:23 PM »
Steve Novak.

Despite what ESPN wants you to believe, he is one of the best all-time three point shooters. Not to mention how he became a leader while guiding three freshmen guards to a 10-6 record in Marquette's first year in the Big East when they were picked to finish next to last.

KC_Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »
Hands down Dominic James.  Toughest kid I ever saw play.  He would take it to the hole and get knocked to the ground but always got back up.  I loved his heart.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 04:30:22 PM »
...please scold me if i'm wrong but i'll never forget when Diener passed the ball to Dwayne in the 2003 elite 8  and started running toward the other end of the court holding up "3"...

You're wrong...you will forget that.  Consider yourself scolded.

[Here's where I'd put the smiley guy if I used them.]

I'll have to think about it a bit before responding.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 04:32:18 PM »
Hi Gang,

I was having a conversation with a co-worker of mine and he asked me who my favorite MU player is/was.  I told him Travis Diener, please scold me if i'm wrong but i'll never forget when Diener passed the ball to Dwayne in the 2003 elite 8  and started running toward the other end of the court holding up "3".  I'll never forget Travis, one of the greats in my opinion.

Who is your favorite player and why?

Pretty sure the pass was to Novak.  I could be wrong though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JD

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 04:32:59 PM »
You're wrong...you will forget that.  Consider yourself scolded.

Was it Steve? 
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 04:33:09 PM »
Dominic James.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

JD

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 04:33:36 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, ok so that was my favorite memory of any.

Favorite player is still T-rav.

AL

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 04:37:50 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, ok so that was my favorite memory of any.

Favorite player is still T-rav.

I'm not 100% sure on that though.  It could've been Wade, as I believe Wade did hit 2 3 pointers in that game.  I remember the play but don't remember for sure it was Novak, but I think it was.  We were back and forth for the first few minutes and when my brother and I saw Novak go to the scorer's table to check in for the first time we both turned to each other and said "Game over."  He then went 5-6 hitting 5 3 pointers, 1 of which he also got fouled on, and ended up with 16 points.  From that point on we blew them out.  What a game to be at.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 04:44:10 PM »
Really hard to decide.  I think Lazar would have to be at the top of my list but it's really a toss-up between guys like Lazar, Novak, Butler, Diener, Wade, etc

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »
Terry Reason and his 360* dunk.

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
  • whassup marquette whassuuup?
    • Real Chilly Podcast
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 04:58:25 PM »
Wes.

he and I were in the same class at MU ('09).  freshman year, it was 1am checkout time at Cobeen on a weeknight, my girl at the time brought me to the elevator (she in her PJs, me with my backpack and winter coat on) and we got on from the top floor.  the elevator stopped a floor or two below, and on gets Wes (with his backpack) with a girl (she in her PJs as well)...

I gave him the nod, and he nodded back.  

a moment of mutual respect.

Listen to the Real Chilly Podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, or Youtube.

Follow our twitter: @RealChillyPod

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 05:04:44 PM »
Craig Aamot, Anthony Candelino and Gerald Posey in that order.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »
Cordell Henry's neck strangle move made me fall in love; since, it's lazar followed by Wes then gardner

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »
Travis Diener...I lived in Oshkosh and went to school in Fond du Lac. There was nothing better to watch Diener take on Oshkosh West back in the day!

D-wade- Loved his skill set

Potential- Mayo- In love with his game

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 05:15:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure MU shut the program down in 1994 after Damon Key graduated.

Not sure who all these other guys are that you're talking about.

Positive that none of them hung 36 on Arizona.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »
Oluoma Nnamaka, he's the first basketball player that I ever watched in person that made me say "wow" out loud.  It was my freshman year of college and he got me hooked on MU BBall for life :)

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 05:24:10 PM »
Steve Novak.

Despite what ESPN wants you to believe, he is one of the best all-time three point shooters. Not to mention how he became a leader while guiding three freshmen guards to a 10-6 record in Marquette's first year in the Big East when they were picked to finish next to last.
+1. Such a pure shooter. No more evident than the UCONN game.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:48:17 PM by windyplayer »

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 05:27:37 PM »
Oluoma Nnamaka, he's the first basketball player that I ever watched in person that made me say "wow" out loud.  It was my freshman year of college and he got me hooked on MU BBall for life :)

Loved DWade, Wes "P Diddy" Matthews, and Jimmy Butler (I argued with my dad about all three and their potential at the next level...looks like so far I was spot on with the first two)...but my favorite MU player of all time probably has to be an under-appreciated little dude: Aaron Hutchins!!!

#12 was the sh*t!!!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »
Lloyd Walton
Artie Green
Terry Reason
Doc Rivers
Joe Nethen
Dwayne Wade
Jae Crowder

These guys all played the game with pizazz!  Except Nethen...he was just a bruiser.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 05:35:21 PM »
Terry Reason and his 360* dunk.
  Not to mention his hair...
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 05:38:56 PM »
Wes. I too came to MU in the same class as Wes, and having gone to a public WI high school, everyone I knew that went to a big school went to Madison. The constant "why didnt you go to Madison, its so great for reasons 1-1000000" came to quickly make me hate all things UW. His spurning the hometown team immediately resonated with me. Then four years later he proved me right when for the past four years I had declared he would be the best pro.

Honorable mention to Cooby. His on court persona was totally badass.

boyonthedock

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 05:40:28 PM »
I'm a Butler man myself. Was the same year as the three amigos, and loved butlers sophomore off the bench, pulling down o-rebs and nailing put back 3-point plays. It only got better from there. And now he's on my bulls!

groove

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 05:41:10 PM »
Butch Lee

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 05:54:27 PM »
Glen 'Doc' Rivers.  Super nice guy, even back as a student.  Still totally committed to Marquette.  And one awesome half court buzzer beater against the Domers.

Honorable mention goes to Earl Tatum.  Man that guy could play and he was tough as nails.