[Today at 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another legendary D Wade game winner  (Read 6021 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Another legendary D Wade game winner
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2019, 06:26:48 AM »
Right. He had zero impact on Wake Forest, not LSU.

I think it's safe to say Paul had zero impact on LSU, too.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 06:45:10 AM »
So there is ZERO EVIDENCE that D Wades play in the NBA was responsible for any player coming to Marquette yet there is NO DOUBT that his play in the NBA helped MU TREMENDOUSLY. Ex Marquette coach kiss up/coach speak isn't evidence. And even at that you have no quotes, only an assertion. Any facts?

Wade is a great player and a good guy but c'mon. I'm not picking on Dwyane - I don't think Steph Curry has been a tremendous help to Davidson. Or Kevin Durant to Texas. Or Westbrook to UCLA. Or Chris Paul to LSU (IIRC). Or Lebron to St Marys HS.  And on and on, so it goes.

Let’s see there are several players on the current team that said he is like an idol, they grew up watching him and it is an honor to play at the same school as him.

Then there are the recruits, including some of Buzz’s, that said they knew of Marquette primarily because of Dwayne Wade.

Then there are the comments from two former MU coaches about Wade’s role in keeping MU relevant.  Yes, i’ll Ignore all that.  LOL.

The reason they came to MU?  Nope.   Or did I say anything of the sort.  One of the reasons they came to MU because of Wade, either directly or indirectly .....no doubt. 

Apparently you missed Steph at Davidson a few weeks back and as they spoke to some kids why did they go to Davidson....answer...Steph Curry.   
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:49:11 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 06:57:48 AM »
I think saying D Wade was THE reason any particular recruit came to Marquette would be a mistake.

I think saying D Wade had zero impact any recruit coming to Marquette would be a mistake.

I would guess that the truth is somewhere in between.
STOP BEING LOGICAL!!!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2019, 07:10:23 AM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2019, 09:43:23 AM »

Apparently you missed Steph at Davidson a few weeks back and as they spoke to some kids why did they go to Davidson....answer...Steph Curry.

Nine years prior to Steph Curry's arrival at Davidson - 3 NCAA tournament bids, zero wins. Nine years since he left - 4 NCAA tournament bids, zero wins.

That may be your definition of a no doubt about it huge benefit. Not mine. Big time players can help the brand a little, contribute in small ways.  Big time coaches are the difference makers.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2019, 09:44:14 AM »
I think it's safe to say Paul had zero impact on LSU, too.

Excellent!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2019, 10:00:29 AM »
I think saying D Wade was THE reason any particular recruit came to Marquette would be a mistake.

I think saying D Wade had zero impact any recruit coming to Marquette would be a mistake.

I would guess that the truth is somewhere in between.

Dwyane Wade (and Don Kojis, George Thompson, Dean Meminger, Jim Chones, Bo Ellis, Maurice Lucas, Butch Lee, Earl Tatum, Doc Rivers, Tony Smith, Jim McIlvaine, Tony Miller, Aaron Hutchins, Steve Novak, Travis Diener, Domonique James, Jerel McNeal, Wesley Matthews, Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder and many, many more have contributed to the Marquette "brand". Wade probably more than any.

However, their contributions to the program after they leave are negligible, not massive as Chico would have you believe. Sustained excellence, mediocrity or worse has all occurred at some point after these guys left - I don't see a reason to give them a lot of credit or blame.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2019, 01:47:13 PM »
Beyond silly.  There's a reason why MU, UNC, Duke, Kansas, Wisconsin, etc, put current players of the NBA in their media guides and tout them often....because they want recruits to know they, too, can be like Mike, Dwyane, Jimmy, etc.  For the same reason the department on countless times did videos with Dwyane and every other program worth their salt does the same thing, while they are in the NBA....because it provides publicity and aspiration for future players, but also for the university in general

It's why kids in the media guide or interviewed when asked "why did you choose XXXXXX" and they rattle off a couple of things, and sometimes also things like "because I wanted to play at the school Michael Jordan played at"...."because I pattern my game after YYYY and he went here".   

NO DOUBT the benefits that come to MU with him continuing to play in the NBA.  A simple search when we did the honor for him last month shows article after article in Miami, Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee, Dallas, as well as national media outlets with the tie of NBA FUTURE HALL OF FAMER AND MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY.  This is PR 101.   NO DOUBT the BENEFITS.  NO. DOUBT.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2019, 04:44:57 PM »
KEEP SHOUTING!!!! It proves the weakness of your arguments to all who weren't already convinced.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2019, 09:28:02 AM »
MU doesn't have a media guide anymore.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2019, 10:57:24 AM »
LOL.  Yet Chicos managed to fluff Tom Crean and his Wisconsin Badgers despite them having nothing to do with the topic.

Pavlov’s dog’s got nothing on you, Chico’s.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 11:56:29 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2019, 11:21:30 AM »
Nine years prior to Steph Curry's arrival at Davidson - 3 NCAA tournament bids, zero wins. Nine years since he left - 4 NCAA tournament bids, zero wins.

Thanks to Vander Blue.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 10:59:17 PM »

Now we do it with videos, social, etc....all of which have included D Wade the last few years.  PR101.  We had a media guide through 2014 and he was featured prominently, as he should have....literally starting on page 2.

https://gomarquette.com/documents/2013/12/30/_marq_m_baskbl_2013_14_misc_non_event__1314_mbbguide.pdf

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2019, 11:03:42 PM »

That may be your definition of a no doubt about it huge benefit. Not mine. Big time players can help the brand a little, contribute in small ways.  Big time coaches are the difference makers.

Of course big time coaches are difference makers, where did anyone say that differently.  You're arguing something that isn't even in the discussion.  I merely said Wade playing in the NBA as long as he did paid benefits to Marquette, something the athletic department will tell you, MU coaches will tell, etc.   Many other things did, too.  There's a reason why Rahim mentioned it to me, because Wade was that big a deal.

It's amazing that something as innocuous as "Wade's play in the NBA helped MU tremendously the last 15 years. No doubt about it.  NO DOUBT"....a true statement, got you all spun up.  Really is.