'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] Williams' 24/7 recruiting philosophy  (Read 3139 times)

MJS_Says

[MJS Blog] Williams' 24/7 recruiting philosophy
« on: November 19, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »
Williams' 24/7 recruiting philosophy

Lahaina, Hawaii - Last week, Marquette signed all five of its class of 2013 recruits during the early signing period.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/179997371.html

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
Re: [MJS Blog] Williams' 24/7 recruiting philosophy
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 02:06:34 PM »
Not sure what to make of Hunt's comment: "Actually it does, but that's a different story."

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 02:16:54 PM »
Not sure what to make of Hunt's comment: "Actually it does, but that's a different story."

Yea, did Buzz make him drop the class?  Weird parting shot there.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 02:19:33 PM »
"Mayo, who has not been a good fit because of his challenging personality, was sent home last summer Williams."

Did Mayo piss in Hunt's oatmeal that he takes these subtle shots at him in every story?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 02:21:14 PM »
Cryptic, isn't it?  Can anyone clarify?

Scooter22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 04:28:01 PM »
Michael Hunt rarely offers anything that's even remotely sensible..  MU recruits a top 10 class and this is his take on the story?  "It's possible some of these kids might get hit by a car and never make it to MU......"  This is journalism?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 11:22:57 PM »
Hunt has provided some good coverage all in all....but this was a weird article...and would certainly feed the troll souls of the Wisconsin Badger fanbase.  No mention of Jake Thomas being on scholarship, who could easily be taken off scholarship...Otule returning for a 6th year, perhaps a player trying to go pro...nope...just the insinuation that someone would get "cut" or transfer etc.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 04:16:52 AM »
Williams' 24/7 recruiting philosophy

Lahaina, Hawaii - Last week, Marquette signed all five of its class of 2013 recruits during the early signing period.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/179997371.html

He cut the article out...lol. I went to read it and it is gone....lame.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 08:05:06 AM »
Cryptic, isn't it?  Can anyone clarify?

I assume that Hunt is saying that Buzz does have some say as to whether or not Mayo returns i.e. if Mayo is eligible next season, would Buzz welcome him back?

Overall, a pretty negative spin on Buzz's recruiting. That's Hunt's MO though. Easily could have been mentioned that transfer rates are up significantly throughout college basketball and Buzz wants to be prepared for anything. Or, as Ners mentioned, Otule returning is no guarantee and neither is Jake's scholarship.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »

Actually I clicked the link and it works - here is article (with potshots bolded):

It is regarded by most scouting services as a top-10 nationally recruiting class. Whether it is or not will be played out in the next few years. It's possible some of those guys won't cut it on the court, in the classroom or both.

Buzz Williams is known for having players leave. He is also known for recruiting over existing players. For example, with the five signees, Marquette is over the 13-player scholarship limit for next season. Williams will have until late August to get down to the cap.

Here's how he explained his recruiting philosophy before the Golden Eagles played Butler at 2:20 CT on Monday in the Maui Invitational:

"I think the industry is extremely volatile and I think you have to recruit every day of the year. I think if you don’t and if you’re not always prepared to sign guys, then you’re in trouble. The horse will pass you by. For us to be in the position to be we’re in to sign five guys early says more than you could possibly understand about our staff and how hard they work.

"There is so much social media following recruiting that you don’t realize there are peoples lives at stake that goes into those relationships. As of today, we are one over. We have until August 28 to get it squared. That is an eternity in things that transpire in our industry. Not just in recruiting, but every facet of this industry. If you’re not recuiting all the time, you’re going to be in a bind. This is an unforgiving industry. It’s built on trust. The only way you can build trust is through long-standing relationships. I’m really excited about who we signed, as player and people. There is a small population of people you can recruit to help you win the Maui Invitatonal. Those kinds of players, you can’t pass that up."

Williams also said he doesn't think the average person understands the pace of recruiting, which is probably true.

Nor does everyone understand the impact of negative recruiting. Marquette suceeded in signing all five of its guys when, no doubt, competing schools were trying to convince them that Williams would eventually leave Marquette. That's just part of the game.

It is also possible that a scholarship will free because sophomore guard Todd Mayo is not expected to return. Mayo, who has not been a good fit because of his challenging personality, was sent home last summer Williams. After Mayo returned to school with the vow to become a better teammate, he was declared academically ineligible.

"Once he gets eligible or doesn’t get eligible, that’s up to him," Williams said. "That doesn’t have anything to do with me."

Actually it does, but that's a different story
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 10:28:36 AM »
No mention of Jake Thomas being on scholarship, who could easily be taken off scholarship...

Just to clarify, Jake is using an "extra" scholorship this year.  Taking him off scholorship next year really doesn't free anything up.  We are two under this year (one of which is being used by Thomas) and have two more becoming available next year (Junior and Locket) - so that makes four available next year - therefore someone will have to leave to make room for the five new recruits.  I suppose Jake could remain on scholorship, but then two players would have to leave.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 10:38:16 AM »

Actually I clicked the link and it works - here is article (with potshots bolded):

I'm guessing that the J-S pulled the post temporarily after telling Hunt to drop the reference to recruits getting hit by a car.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:40:14 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »
BTW, hearing good things about Mayo with regards to class attendance and possibility of being eligible second semester.  I feel much more confident now than I did a couple weeks ago.  Still a long way to go for him though, but he is working at it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »
BTW, hearing good things about Mayo with regards to class attendance and possibility of being eligible second semester.  I feel much more confident now than I did a couple weeks ago.  Still a long way to go for him though, but he is working at it.

Good news.  Pulling for Todd.  If anything hope this experience serves him well moving forward in his life, regardless of the outcome..staying at MU or leaving.  Think it can only help him grow, mature, build character, toughness, perseverance, persistence, etc.

feedback