[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Apartments - What to do?  (Read 3057 times)

spacecrusader

• Walk-On
Apartments - What to do?
« on: February 01, 2010, 10:30:38 AM »
So I am looking for an apartment for just the Fall semester next year. I thought I might be studying abroad full year so I didn't start looking until now.

Anyway. Every review I look up on apartments surrounding the campus are horrible. Every apartment has the reviews saying "stay away, gross, management does nothing, save your money". So I looked into getting an apartment on the east side but realized how expensive they are (and inconvenient without a car).

Can anyone personally recommend a DECENT apartment around campus? I am looking for a studio preferrably, 1 bedroom maybe. Also, any more horror stories to stay away from?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: Apartments - What to do?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:35:54 AM »
I know several people who used to live in Tioga, I think it is on 15th in between Wells and Kilbourn.  At the time 01-03, the units were decent sized and clean. 

The thing with online reviews is that you are always going to get the impression of people that have had a bad experience or an axe to grind.  It seems the people with good things to say don't bother to write online reviews.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:40:09 AM »
It really depends what you are going for. I am a person that only sleeps in an apartment, so I didn't need anything fancy. I live in Strack II across the street from Renee Row on 17th. The apartment manager actually lives next door and the few times I've had parties, she didn't care. I also lock myself out once a month and she is always friendly. Rooms are pretty crappy but the few times things have broke (garbage disposal, sink) she has fixed it right away.

I pay $375 per month including water and heat. No idea if they have studios.

My GF lives in Balcony apartments and those are pretty nice but no on-site management.

I suggest you start by looking at what your priorities are:
Location to campus-
Location to other friends/parties on campus/downtown-
Price Range-
Size-
Looks-

ETA: I was planning on being an RA, but to make a long-story short, I  didn't get the job. So I didn't even begin looking to March, so don't panic because there are tons of apartments available. Also, don't be afraid to ask around for those looking for a roommate.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:43:35 AM by martyconlonontherun »

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 07:16:51 PM »
ETA: I was planning on being an RA, but to make a long-story short, I  didn't get the job. So I didn't even begin looking to March, so don't panic because there are tons of apartments available. Also, don't be afraid to ask around for those looking for a roommate.

ORL made a big deal this year of pointing out that you could have walked onto campus on the first day of classes in the fall and gotten anything from a 1 to 5 bedroom apartment this year.  There's WAY more off campus housing than there are students right now.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 09:25:19 PM »
I lived in a studio in what used to be south hall, across from the rec center on 17th.  They were renovated maybe 3-4 years ago i think...they were clean, heat and gas was included, although you couldn't control the heat(never bothered me though). Rent was around $400 a month I think.  I'd at least take a look at it, they'll tell you more than I can. I live in gillman now, all studios like south hall, but owned by mu.  Rent is around $400, includes gas, cable and mu's internet connection.  All you pay is electric on top of rent.  It's nothing fancy, but a lot better than most places i've seen too, plus you get to smell real chili when you walk in the entry way.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 09:34:01 PM »
plus you get to smell real chili when you walk in the entry way.

which could be a bad thing if you don't wanna gain 20 pounds by eating chili 4 or 5 days a week because you can't say no to the wonderful smell. lol

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 09:58:07 PM »
check out the apartments on 13th or 14th st, across state from sinai and across the street from the parking garage.  my sister and my brother in law both lived there at different times in the last few years.  onsite manager, parking in back, etc.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:10:36 PM »
I had some friends that lived on 23rd and Michigan. The place was rather nice. i think the places on the 3rd floor were 1 bdrm. I think they paid under $450 including utilities. I liked their place but it was such a far walk/limo ride to even get through campus.

I had some other friends that lived in Renee Row. If I had to do it over again, I'd live there. It's pretty close to campus and convenient... plus the parties nearby.

I'd suggest you stay away from Campus Town. Try spending two years not living in dorms and under the thumb of  MU. I've heard stories about international students not understanding what a closed party means. Apparently "Get the F Out" doesn't translate into whatever they speak.

2040 lofts are too expensive for what little they are offering. I'd stick away from those. I'm pretty sure any other place where I had friends that I hung out with regularly have been torn down.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 10:30:15 PM »
I forget the name, but the building directly north of Campus Town East on 15th has studios that are pretty nice.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 12:28:49 AM »
I too lived in 523 studio apartments (used to be south hall) on 17th across from the rec center. Pretty cheap ($425/mo., got the MU internet/cable deal, no other utilities) and its a little small, but I guess thats a studio for ya. Not really any consistent problems, but the people that work at schulhoff offices are pricks, and so is the ownership. They also lost my safety deposit check, but refunded it. All around it was an okay experience, definitely doable for a semester.

spacecrusader

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 07:23:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I checked out Tioga and it seems decent for a studio. I'm going to check out Cedar Square soon. Varsity is supposed to get back to me whether they will allow a semester lease.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 08:44:57 AM »
I've heard stories about international students not understanding what a closed party means. Apparently "Get the F Out" doesn't translate into whatever they speak.

For what it's worth, the problem there is that there's always at least 3 doors sitting open on the Global Village floor of CTW, so the open community aspect of that floor is being transferred to the rest of the building.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

feedback