[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Osa and Dexter  (Read 3357 times)

tower912

• All American
Osa and Dexter
« on: February 03, 2021, 07:29:13 AM »
Circumstances dictated that both get significantly more run than usual.   
Osa looked like an athletic freshman big project.   He knew where he was supposed to be.   He isn't physically strong enough to keep a post player from getting position.   But he worked.   And when he tried to do too much, he ran over a defender.   He will be better in a year.

Dexter made a nice slash down the lane and nice touch pass to Garcia.   He was moving better on defense.   He was actually going to drive to the basket, except he did the Koby shuffle on the wing.   Being willing to drive is a step forward for him.

Both were in at the end.  I think that is why Wojo chose to not foul this time.   Too many things could go wrong with two inxperienced players on the floor.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 07:31:34 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Osa and Dexter
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 08:31:30 AM »
Circumstances dictated that both get significantly more run than usual.   
Osa looked like an athletic freshman big project.   He knew where he was supposed to be.   He isn't physically strong enough to keep a post player from getting position.   But he worked.   And when he tried to do too much, he ran over a defender.   He will be better in a year.

Dexter made a nice slash down the lane and nice touch pass to Garcia.   He was moving better on defense.   He was actually going to drive to the basket, except he did the Koby shuffle on the wing.   Being willing to drive is a step forward for him.

Both were in at the end.  I think that is why Wojo chose to not foul this time.   Too many things could go wrong with two inxperienced players on the floor.

Just an fyi, he prefers "Oso" to "Osa".

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 08:44:50 AM »
Love Oso's length.  I had forgot how big he is.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 08:51:29 AM »
Thought both did good considering they basically haven’t played all season. Dexter’s pass was very nice and Oso had a nice finish with the left hand.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 09:20:36 AM »
Oso is going to do fine at MU as he gets stronger and more experience. He still shoots jumpers with a flick form from his waste instead of holding the ball high. That will need to be corrected. But he is a good long term talent with potential.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 09:36:52 AM »
Both Oso and Dexter's defense is passable, maybe even more than passable. Both of their offenses are major works in progress. I will say though, Oso understands where he needs to be on offense. That cut to the hoop for the and one showed great offensive instincts. The charge was definitely a charge but even then, he made the right play with the pass he made. He's got basketball IQ. Dexter looks frantic to me on offense. If we lose three more regular season games (eliminating any chance of an at large....assuming no additional games get added), I hope that Wojo gives both of them significantly more run to try to get them some game reps.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 11:34:25 AM »
Both Oso and Dexter's defense is passable, maybe even more than passable. Both of their offenses are major works in progress. I will say though, Oso understands where he needs to be on offense. That cut to the hoop for the and one showed great offensive instincts. The charge was definitely a charge but even then, he made the right play with the pass he made. He's got basketball IQ. Dexter looks frantic to me on offense. If we lose three more regular season games (eliminating any chance of an at large....assuming no additional games get added), I hope that Wojo gives both of them significantly more run to try to get them some game reps.
thought the pass to Oso was late and put him in an impossible situation.  Was hoping they would have run that set they always run for Koby (comes from the far wing; high ball screen) for Dexter.  Kid needs a positive moment on offense (although the assist was outstanding).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 01:22:39 PM »
I thought the defender went under Oso as he was landing to catch that pass. Didn't like the charge call.

But that's neither here nor there.

Sacar didn't do a thing until his third year at Marquette, and he's who Dexter has been compared to. Even Vander wasn't really a BEast player until his junior year.

Oso is almost impossibly skinny; he'll get stronger.

I am looking forward to see how both progress.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 01:33:52 PM »
Yeah, I don’t know how you can call a charge on anyone ever, if they don’t dribble the basketball. Dribbling means you are moving somewhere, causing momentum and I guess force enough to knock a guy over. Reminded me of the Dayton game in ‘03 when Dwyane took ONE dribble on the baseline and knocked over their 260# center for a “charge” late in the game.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 02:31:28 PM »
We didn't have any of our regular big people at the end.  I still am not sure whether to foul or not, but with Osa and Cain under the basket, I'd be concerned about giving up a putback.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 02:36:38 PM »
We didn't have any of our regular big people at the end.  I still am not sure whether to foul or not, but with Osa and Cain under the basket, I'd be concerned about giving up a putback.

I definitely thought it was smart not to foul there. And if that 3 had gone in and we lost in OT, I still would have said it was smart not to foul there.

I'm not in love with fouling there under all circumstances, anyway (even though many Scoopers are). And as you and tower said, it definitely was smart not to foul there. All kinds of crazy things could have happened on a FT miss with the lineup we had in at the end.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 04:42:15 PM »
I was more worried about fouling with 2 seconds to go and then having to inbound the ball after two made free throws. There was no way I wanted foul.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 02:13:09 PM »
I was more worried about fouling with 2 seconds to go and then having to inbound the ball after two made free throws. There was no way I wanted foul.

Agree with this and all said above. Although I just had a flashback to Providence making a 3 over Bailey from about almost the same spot on the floor last year. I agree with the inexperienced players would of had a more difficult time executing the foul and agree it would of been more difficult to inbound this game too. So yes I agree with all the above.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 02:14:54 PM by MarquetteMike1977 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2021, 02:22:54 PM »
A perfect example of how one size doesn't fit all on these kinds of strategies.

And yet, had that shot gone in, Wojo would have been called a moron for not fouling up 3 there.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2021, 03:00:36 PM »
And yet, had that shot gone in, Wojo would have been called a moron for not fouling up 3 there.

There were plenty of other reasons in the last 7 minutes to call him that. I thought that was tough in real time because at the start of the play it was too early & with two unproven freshmen on the court you would need someone with very good situational awareness timewise.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 07:57:39 PM »
There were plenty of other reasons in the last 7 minutes to call him that. I thought that was tough in real time because at the start of the play it was too early & with two unproven freshmen on the court you would need someone with very good situational awareness timewise.

Both sentences are true.

Glad Wojo agreed with you and me.

See? There IS hope!