[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So what's gonna happen with tonight's game???  (Read 6551 times)

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
So what's gonna happen with tonight's game???
« on: November 21, 2006, 10:23:57 AM »
I'm curious as to what everybody thinks is going to happen with the game tonight.  I think it's gonna be a very hard fought game but that if we can stay close, we will win in the end.  We've been tested this season and had some close games so I think that will only go to help us. 

Also, not to jinx us but we need to shoot at least 70% from FT to beat Duke tonight.  This 50% crap will not cut it!!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

tckmu24

• Scholarship Player
Re: So what's gonna happen with tonight's game???
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 10:29:59 AM »
I think the big factor tonight will be our all of our shooting percentages.  Obviously FT's will be critical like LastWarrior said, but we need to shoot decent from the field too.  When we have played good games this year (the last 3) we have shot well from the field.  I don't think we have to shoot 60% to beat Duke, but if we shoot 45-50% and have a few less turnovers (keep them around 15) we will have a great shot on getting the "W" tonight.  The only thing that scares me is the Wes has been rocking it the past two games.  Hopefully, he has another one in him, because we will need him, DJ, and McNeal to come out firing again.  If we shoot over 45% we win by 8-10, under 45% who knows.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 10:30:52 AM »
I think it will come to free throws.  If we make them, I think we have a good chance of winning by ten, but if we're 55%, we're looking at our first L of the year.

This sounds odd, but I think MU has a better chance of blowing out Duke than vice versa.

COS98

• Walk-On
Thank You Idaho State
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 10:37:32 AM »
Tonight, the Idaho State OT game will pay big divedends.  Close games early are always a plus when the next one comes around.  My concern is the strut from last night needs to be kept as a positive thing or it will kill us.  MU wins a close one if Duke has no inside mojo. We had this game circled last year and the stars are aligning properly.  Go Warriors!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 10:39:06 AM »
I am one who has been a bit twitchy about all of the attention has gotten pre-season and early on, but frankly at this point, I'm not sure MU might not be the better team.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 12:45:41 PM »
I do wonder if our FT% will go up as the game situation is more important.   MU was pretty comfortably ahead for most of the game last night, and while important, it's not like those FTs were going to tie up the game.

I think DJ (et al) can hit FTs in the clutch.  Tonight will be all clutch.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 12:55:35 PM »
God I hope you're right.

State

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 02:25:29 PM »
Is still everyone on board as to Crean's decision not giving James the majority of the PG time?? 

I'm not sure...this is finally a team that you don't have to hold your breath everytime our main PG is out of the game.  Daveed, Matthews and Mcneal all handle the ball really well.  Will be interesting to see if Paulus can keep up with James away from the ball...James is too quick.  Hope we can exploit this match-up.

Also...where is the guy from rivals that did a great job of breaking down each match up of what we need to do?  I always found that beneficial.  This site is good...just missing something!!

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 02:32:57 PM »
with what I saw of mcneal's vision and fairly decent ballhandling (comparitively) last night, I'm fine with the decision.  give james opportunities to create shots/matchups in other parts of the game.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 02:43:10 PM »
Also...where is the guy from rivals that did a great job of breaking down each match up of what we need to do?  I always found that beneficial.  This site is good...just missing something!!

Which guy?  Maybe you're talking about PhantomWarrior/SilverWarrior?  If so, he posts mostly on marquettehoops.com.  Not everyone has caught the wave on MUScoop yet  ;)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 02:45:26 PM »
I was talking to my friend... and said Marquette will win by 1... due to a Wes Matthews 3 with 2 seconds left.... if this happens, I'm going to Vegas....

But on a serious note, I think it will be a very tough game, but I think Marquette's speed will pull it off, very excited to watch, first game I will see live for Marquette, and I am passing on seeing a world recognized musician (big deal out here in Platteville, its Jeff Coffin if anyone cares, plays for Bela Fleck and the Flecktones if that means anything to anyone) to watch a much better sight
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 02:47:40 PM by Mayor McCheese »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 02:50:42 PM »
Is still everyone on board as to Crean's decision not giving James the majority of the PG time?? 

I think one of the most unheralded things about this team is the versalitity.  We have 4 players who can run the point (5 if you incl. Fitz)  Last night, if I'm correct, we had James, Cubillan, McNeal, Matthews, and Fitz on the floor together.  That's an ungodly fast lineup.  Would be even faster with Blackledge instead of Fitz.  We can also go to a complete power lineup of Matthews, Hayward, Fitz, Lott, Barro if the game calls for it.  It will be fun to see the combinations Crean uses tonight.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 02:56:30 PM »
I think the outcome of the game is going to be decided by the following:

Can we neutralize McRoberts down low?  We can't afford Barro to get into foul trouble.

Can we pressure Duke into turnovers?  Paulus has come back early from a bad foot and he is still not 100%.  We need to take advantage of this matchup.

Can we hit our 3 point shot?  I think Duke might throw a zone at us so if we can nail some threes, we win.  If we shot the 3 it like we did in the second half of the TT game, we will probably lose.

Can we hit our free throws?  We can't afford to give away points against a team like Duke.  

We really need 3 of these to go our way to win this game.  I think it will be a nail biter with the outcome coming down to free throw shooting.

Tampa Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 03:04:54 PM »
I think it will be a nail biter with the outcome coming down to free throw shooting.

And that is a concern.

This game will tell us a lot about our youngsters. Should be fun (although winning a nailbiter is really only "fun" after the fact).

State

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 03:09:19 PM »
I think it will be a nail biter with the outcome coming down to free throw shooting.

And that is a concern.

This game will tell us a lot about our youngsters. Should be fun (although winning a nailbiter is really only "fun" after the fact).

These guys are making John Harris seem average!!

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 03:15:39 PM »
Ah, just thinking about Harris makes me feel better about this team's FT shooting.  At least when they shoot, the ball hits something.

Harris was the only guy I ever saw bank a FT so hard that it bounced off the glass and over the rim entirely.  Try that some time. Not easy.

State

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 03:23:03 PM »
Harris was the only guy I ever saw bank a FT so hard that it bounced off the glass and over the rim entirely.  Try that some time. Not easy.

Classic line!!! 

I also remember him airballing to the left of the hoop...that also takes some 'skill'!!

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 03:37:00 PM »
I like Cubillan running the point.  He's a very good decision maker and makes the smart pass-- nothing flashy, just nice plays. 

DJ seems to be forcing the creativity a bit too much right now-- he will settle down, but a behind the back pass and a few drives to nowhere where he left his feet and had nowhere to go with the ball-- along with a few poor shot choices-- lead me to like D.C. as the PG for right now. 

I agree with the idea that we have 4 guys who can run the point capably.  Not a bad problem to have.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 03:41:30 PM »
I think this one's simple. If we make our 3's we'll win.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 04:02:06 PM »
I actually think FTs will be more important than 3 pointers.  At least with missed 3's there's a rebound opportunity.  Missing FTs is just throwing points away.  We can't afford 15, 12, or 10 points to be thrown away in this game.  I think 75% is key.  75% or better and I think we'll win.  Les than that, and I'm giving the edge to the Blue Balls ..ahem.. Devils.

feedback