[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Any Y'all Typically Fly Virgin America?  (Read 28933 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Any Y'all Typically Fly Virgin America?
« on: January 11, 2014, 12:11:20 PM »
Won't bore ya with the stressful details, but I was in LA last weekend when Southwest cancelled my MKE bound flight home on Sunday and couldn't get me back 'til Thursday nite. Was proactive and booked Virgin America to ORD on Tuesday. While expensive, and on my dime, it was the most comfortable and relaxin' domestic flight I've experienced in years.
Adios, Southwest, you mf'er. Won't be seein' me on your cattle car again. Shove your A-List up your heine and learn how to treat your customers.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Any Y'all Typically Fly Virgin America?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 12:27:21 PM »
they aren't typically Virgin any more after ZFB gets off of the flight.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »
VA doesn't care about us folks in the Midwest.

My thought is that flying is a miserable experience. There are enough unknowns and things not controlled by a particular airline (i.e., weather, airport mucking things up, etc.) that I am most sensitive to (1) schedule and (2) price.

Back in the day I did enjoy cookies and gallons of wine on Midwest Express flights, but I never think "oh goodie, I can't wait to fly... this is going to be such fun!" It sucks.

That said, Southwest is insufferable. The pre-boarding lineup is sickening. Their attendants won't shut up until you tell them to. I avoid them because their flights are annoying.

I want a direct flight at the time that works best for me... and preferably at a reasonable price.

Past that, just shut up and fly fast.

I don't need a TV in front of me. I don't need complimentary peanuts (although some Biscotti is great!!!!). I'd like a semi-comfortable seat, but no matter how comfortable it is I still don't want to be sitting in it.

Eat it
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 12:40:49 PM »
I live out West now, and after 8yrs as a corporate traveler, they are easily #1.  Since 05, I've had status on United, UsAir, and Midwest/Frontier, and Virgin blows them out of the water.  Just hit Gold with them, so I'm pretty stoked... I technically missed Gold by 4k miles and only would have Silver, but Virgin bumped me up.

The flight attendants not being old union trolls makes it much more pleasant.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 12:43:27 PM »
I'll add that VA makes most sense if your near one of their hubs. If you are flying out of Ohare, it makes sense if you are traveling to their hubs often.... SF, LA, NYC. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 12:49:37 PM »
Unfortunately, Southwest is the only carrier flyin' non-stop to LA from MKE. And, they only have 1 flight/day each way.
But, I'm done. Never again.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 01:12:27 PM »
Their attendants won't shut up until you tell them to. I avoid them because their flights are annoying.

Worse than trying to be cute like Southwest, every US Air flight has a five minute speech where they try to pitch you their credit card. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 01:26:35 PM »
Worse than trying to be cute like Southwest, every US Air flight has a five minute speech where they try to pitch you their credit card. 

Yes! I hate that crap too.

Spirit's seats are terribly small and covered in puke, but I don't mind their red eye flights because they are so good about shutting up and letting you sleep. If you need something they come and hook it up.. but no carts coming down the aisle, no axing everyone what they want.. hit them up if you need something, otherwise.. get some rest.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 04:34:06 PM »
Virgin America flys to LA and San Fran from Chicago. The flights are actually very affordable. Usually in the $300 range. Best flight experience in US domestics, just wish there were more destinations from Chicago

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 06:02:45 PM »
Flew them to LA for the first time back in November.  Normally have United but it was competitive priced.  Missed my flight on Thursday night and was initially really annoyed since due to their limited number of flights out of ORD, I had to wait till Friday.  But that was the end of the disappointment.  First time I've ever had a gate agent tell me to not worrying about paying for a confirmed seat, I'll be more than fine with standby.  They remembered me the next morning and were super friendly and helpful. 

The planes are cool aesthetically, the screen on your seat is great and the streaming TV is awesome, and the flight attendants being attractive doesn't hurt either.  I try to fly them whenever possible in the future.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 07:28:54 PM »
Sorry, I am a SWA fan.  Lots of flights to where I want to go, reasonably priced, no baggage fees, and a decent rewards program. 

Also, almost always on time (or early).  I have been on business where all of my colleagues had decided to fly into ORD on United or USAir, and I flew Southwest into MDW, and even though our flights were scheduled to leave at about the same time, I was on the shuttle bus to my car before they even boarded their planes.

And notwithstanding 4ever's experience, in the past 25+ years flying SWA, I have never had a flight cancelled for non-weather-related reasons.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 08:03:32 PM »
Sorry, I am a SWA fan.  Lots of flights to where I want to go, reasonably priced, no baggage fees, and a decent rewards program. 

Also, almost always on time (or early).  I have been on business where all of my colleagues had decided to fly into ORD on United or USAir, and I flew Southwest into MDW, and even though our flights were scheduled to leave at about the same time, I was on the shuttle bus to my car before they even boarded their planes.

And notwithstanding 4ever's experience, in the past 25+ years flying SWA, I have never had a flight cancelled for non-weather-related reasons.

I just hate MDW. It's enough to deter me from Southwest.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 08:07:31 PM »
I just hate MDW. It's enough to deter me from Southwest.
What in the world is wrong with MDW?  It's newer than most of the terminals at O'Hare. And it is super easy to get in and out of.  In terms of miles, I live significantly closer to O'Hare, but in terms of minutes between my front door and the gate to my plane, it's quicker to to go to Midway.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 08:08:06 PM »
Sort of random, but I noticed everywhere at the BC today signs advertising Frontier as the official airline of the Milwaukee bucks, but then looked up where they flew to out of Milwaukee and the only city is Denver, their hub. Thought it was a strange choice to invest so much advert money into the mke market if you only have one route through there

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 08:08:46 PM »
What in the world is wrong with MDW?  It's newer than most of the terminals at O'Hare. And it is super easy to get in and out of.  In terms of miles, I live significantly closer to O'Hare, but in terms of minutes between my front door and the gate to my plane, it's quicker to to go to Midway.

Old. Sketchy neighborhood . Riff raff. Not good food options

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 08:14:52 PM »

I'd be interested in a reconciliation of "reasonably priced, no baggage fees" with the all-inclusive price of other flights... probably fair to say there's no significant savings you're receiving... where you want to go and rewards is fine.. but the 'almost always on time' seems anecdotal... don't know what the reality is.

Do you like their boarding procedures and jagoff attendants? Even their ticker symbol makes me cringe. Annoying to the highest degree. If they just shut their stupid faces at the gate and on the plane I'd be fine with them.

That said, Bleuteaux is nuts. MDW rules. I love flying in early for meetings - so quick and easy to get in and out of when I need to grab a rental car and hit the road. Plus I get to say hi to my friends lined up and down Cicero on the way to the office.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 08:17:06 PM »
Old. Sketchy neighborhood . Riff raff. Not good food options

Huh?  MDW is a brand new airport Bleu.  Totally rebuilt about 5 years ago.  Neighborhood is working class Chicago bungalows, not sketchy at all.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 08:20:13 PM »
I dunno. I have a friend who lives nearby in Marquette Park and id characterize it somewhat differently

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 08:22:46 PM »
I'd be interested in a reconciliation of "reasonably priced, no baggage fees" with the all-inclusive price of other flights... probably fair to say there's no significant savings you're receiving... where you want to go and rewards is fine.. but the 'almost always on time' seems anecdotal... don't know what the reality is.

Do you like their boarding procedures and jagoff attendants? Even their ticker symbol makes me cringe. Annoying to the highest degree. If they just shut their stupid faces at the gate and on the plane I'd be fine with them.

That said, Bleuteaux is nuts. MDW rules. I love flying in early for meetings - so quick and easy to get in and out of when I need to grab a rental car and hit the road. Plus I get to say hi to my friends lined up and down Cicero on the way to the office.

JB, no doubt SWA is no longer necessarily the cheapest.  But their boarding process has been shown to be the quickest in the industry.  Obviously if one prefers a pre-assigned seat SWA isn't for them.  And avoiding ORD like the plague is part of the appeal for us.  We'll even fly out of MKE if the prices are right.  Used to love the $5 buck parking. (Now $6.50.)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 08:25:17 PM »
I dunno. I have a friend who lives nearby in Marquette Park and id characterize it somewhat differently

Different neighborhood Bleu.  Seriously.  I know it's only a few miles but your on your way to some really tough southside neighborhoods by the time you get to Marquette Park.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 09:48:03 PM »
I flew Virgin Atlantic ORD to LHR about 13 years ago... first trip across the pond, and the only reason I booked them was so I could earn ME miles.  I knew nothing about them, but the experience was spectacular.  I will go so far to saw that it was fund and I looked forward to the flight home.  I was stoked when they announced V America, but unfortunately they do not have enough flights to my usual destinations for me to switch... I fly just enough every year for low-tier status, so I've got to stick with AA for now, otherwise I'll never get any upgrades. If VA ever bought more routes, I'd be with them in a millisecond.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 10:28:31 PM »
MDW is sketchy no doubt. I won't even go to Hawthorne anymore. That says when going to LAS, can't beat Southwest out of there.

I honesty prefer ORD when given the choice. If you know what you're doing it's not difficult and when flights get delayed, there's no lack of action.

Worst major city airport is the Bush in Houston.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 11:23:35 PM »
MDW is sketchy no doubt. I won't even go to Hawthorne anymore. That says when going to LAS, can't beat Southwest out of there.

I honesty prefer ORD when given the choice. If you know what you're doing it's not difficult and when flights get delayed, there's no lack of action.

Worst major city airport is the Bush in Houston.

There is no worse airport in America than MIA.

LGA and Reagan are second/third worst.

Best airport is Charlotte. McCarron is much much better since the rehab, Denver is pretty nice except it's so far from downtown.

My biggest irritations...car rental facilities miles away (Sky Harbor the worst, BWI, Sea-Tac, Dulles, MIA close for second).

Other is that everyone has status it feels like. As someone who is on the road constantly, the proliferation of Group 2 at United has been annoying to watch.

You road warriors...what hotel brand you guys/gals loyal to?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 11:47:07 PM »
There is no worse airport in America than MIA.

LGA and Reagan are second/third worst.

Best airport is Charlotte. McCarron is much much better since the rehab, Denver is pretty nice except it's so far from downtown.

My biggest irritations...car rental facilities miles away (Sky Harbor the worst, BWI, Sea-Tac, Dulles, MIA close for second).

Other is that everyone has status it feels like. As someone who is on the road constantly, the proliferation of Group 2 at United has been annoying to watch.

You road warriors...what hotel brand you guys/gals loyal to?

Not quite a road warrior, but when necessary I'll do a Holiday Inn Express. I go cheap on hotels, just above roach status though. Pushes me to explore more than to hunker down.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 11:49:26 PM »
Speaking of traveling, warm weather vacation next December...all inclusive...no more than a day of travel...what you got? Location and resort recommendations greatly appreciated. Not looking at a five digit vacation, but somewhere below that mark.