[Today at 11:54:18 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[Today at 09:59:47 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 4 Nights in Milwaukee....what to do?  (Read 28068 times)

MUBillsTil2017

• Walk-On
4 Nights in Milwaukee....what to do?
« on: June 10, 2013, 12:28:45 PM »
I've been reading a wide range of posts over the last few months on MUScoop and what can I say, there are lots of characters posting here.  Because of that, I'd like to see if I can get an eclectic range of entertainment ideas for my wife and I when we drop our daughter off at MU for freshman orientation this August.  I expect once orientation starts she will have little time for us, so what to do?  We're from California which means we know just a little about Milwaukee.  I was there briefly for my daughter's official visit so I got to know things I wanted to know, mainly about safety around the campus, Third Ward, downtown around Hotel Metro.  Where else can we find "local color" that is legit for great food or music or "of interest" ? 

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: 4 Nights in Milwaukee....what to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 12:39:56 PM »
pics?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 12:46:43 PM »
if by "local color" or "of interest," you mean that you want to take the old lady to a titty club, you have a few options.

Silk
Airport Lounge
Art's Performing Center
On the Border
Ricky's on State (close to campus)

(not sure if the joint on 1st and National is still there.  There was a place out on 68th too.)

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:52:09 PM »
Solid Gold on 2nd is still there I believe
Bring back FFP!!!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 12:52:22 PM »
I'll try to rescue this thread before it further devolves into something completely useless to you.

Welcome to the MU family...here are some things to do in Milwaukee...

Lakefront Brewery Tour
Brewer Game
Festivals at Summerfest grounds
Eat/drink at Mader's or Old German Beer Hall
Milwaukee Art Museum
Eat lunch at Milwaukee Public Market
Eat Real Chili at 2:00 am

As you can see, most worthwhile things in Milwaukee involve eating and drinking.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:52:37 PM »
if by "local color" or "of interest," you mean that you want to take the old lady to a titty club, you have a few options.

Silk
Airport Lounge
Art's Performing Center
On the Border

(not sure if the joint on 1st and National is still there.  There was a place out on 68th too.)

Solid Gold is still most definitely there and is as low class as ever.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
you might enjoy the Harley museum, followed by cocktails outside at the Ironhorse Hotel.  If you've a group, rent a pontoon boat on the Milwaukee river for a couple of hours (we usually do 5-8ish on a week night).  You can have up to 8 people, self drive, bring your own libations and snacks-or stop at Milwaukee ale house, Rock bottom, Barnacle Bud's for same.  You're a half hour drive from Oconomowoc/lake country, and hour and a half from Madison (brrrr), and and hour and forty-five minutes from Chicago if you get bored, but there's a lot to do and see in Milwaukee.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 01:01:42 PM »

Silk
Airport Lounge
Art's Performing Center
On the Border

You're thinkingTthe Spotlight on 65th and Greenfield. It's still there. There's also The Encore on I94 and Hawley Road. I used to tend bar there years ago. But I'm also pretty sure that's not what the OP was referring to.  ;)

The Wisconsin State Fair is going on from from August 1st-11th. That might be something you and the wife would enjoy...if you like all sorts of different types of fried awesomeness and live music.

Jazz in The Park at Cathedral Square every Thursday.

Irish Fest is on the Summerfest grounds from August 15th-18th.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »
you might enjoy the Harley museum, followed by cocktails outside at the Ironhorse Hotel.  If you've a group, rent a pontoon boat on the Milwaukee river for a couple of hours (we usually do 5-8ish on a week night).  You can have up to 8 people, self drive, bring your own libations and snacks-or stop at Milwaukee ale house, Rock bottom, Barnacle Bud's for same.  You're a half hour drive from Oconomowoc/lake country, and hour and a half from Madison (brrrr), and and hour and forty-five minutes from Chicago if you get bored, but there's a lot to do and see in Milwaukee.

Just spent a night at the Iron Horse. Fantastic hotel.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 01:04:53 PM »
I'll try to rescue this thread before it further devolves into something completely useless to you.

Welcome to the MU family...here are some things to do in Milwaukee...

Lakefront Brewery Tour
Brewer Game
Festivals at Summerfest grounds
Eat/drink at Mader's or Old German Beer Hall
Milwaukee Art Museum
Eat lunch at Milwaukee Public Market
Eat Real Chili at 2:00 am

As you can see, most worthwhile things in Milwaukee involve eating and drinking.

Not sure how you left Sobelman's off the list here.  The one in the Valley on St. Paul, of course.  I'll also second the Public Market, I think St. Paul's fish company has great food.

Other great restaurants (my opinion) that show off some of the local Milwaukee culinary talent
Roots
Braise
Cubanitas
La Merenda
Sanford (if you want fine dining and a big budget)
Odd Duck
Maxie's Southern Comfort (just a little drive out of downtown, but worth it)
Any of the Bartolotta places

An interesting bar for a nightcap is Bryant's, it's a old school cocktail lounge where they'll make up drinks based on your own tastes.  
Not a lot of music that's not a dedicated concert venue in Milwaukee, but the Jazz Estate on Murray is a pretty cool place.

One event that starts up in mid summer is the Fish Fry and Flick.  They do an outdoor movie down at the lakefront and have a catered fish fry.  Dates and movies haven't been announced yet but checking this website will give the details when schedule is finalized.  http://pointfishfryandaflick.com/

Also, onmilwaukee.com is a great online source for all things entertainment and dining Milwaukee.  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:11:31 PM by mugrad2006 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »
I'm available for guided tours of the former Crean dump in The Quon.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 01:18:15 PM »
Are the smelt running in August?

Death on call

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »
you might enjoy the Harley museum, followed by cocktails outside at the Ironhorse Hotel. 

My thought exactly.  I only stay at the Iron Horse now and really enjoyed the Harley museum despite having no interest in motorcycles.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »
Not sure how you left Sobelman's off the list here.  The one in the Valley on St. Paul, of course.  I'll also second the Public Market, I think St. Paul's fish company has great food.

Other great restaurants (my opinion) that show off some of the local Milwaukee culinary talent
Roots
Braise
Cubanitas
La Merenda
Odd Duck

An interesting bar for a nightcap is Bryant's, it's a old school cocktail lounge where they'll make up drinks based on your own tastes.  
Not a lot of music that's not a dedicated concert venue in Milwaukee, but the Jazz Estate on Murray is a pretty cool place.

One event that starts up in mid summer is the Fish Fry and Flick.  They do an outdoor movie down at the lakefront and have a catered fish fry.  Dates and movies haven't been announced yet but checking this website will give the details when schedule is finalized.  http://pointfishfryandaflick.com/

Also, onmilwaukee.com is a great online source for all things entertainment and dining Milwaukee.  

The Blue Egg for brunch is great.  

I'm an original plank owner in Lakefront, but I have to say if you want to get the original Lakefront tour vibe when we use to slide down Bernie's original slide and drink(carefully) from Larry, Moe, or Curly you'll want to go to Milwaukee Brewing in the 5th/3rd Ward.  Does anyone know where 3rd and 5th Ward split(National?).  Anyway Milwaukee Brewing is a great small scale brewery that has great beer but isn't as "known" as Lakefront and Sprecher(not nearly as packed on Friday's and Saturday's).

Trocodero and Brocach are also very good places to eat on the east side.  Cafe Hollender by Public Market(great lunch place!) is a good place for some great world beers and a burger.

And my personal opinion, unless you enjoy flesh markets/dance clubs don't go to any of the places on Milwaukee Ave or generally around Hotel Metro.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »

Roots
Braise
Cubanitas
La Merenda
Odd Duck

One event that starts up in mid summer is the Fish Fry and Flick.  They do an outdoor movie down at the lakefront and have a catered fish fry.  Dates and movies haven't been announced yet but checking this website will give the details when schedule is finalized.  http://pointfishfryandaflick.com/

Roots closed.  It is now "Wolf Peach".  Same location, different owner - have not been there since it changed so I cannot make a recommendation.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »
I agree on the Blue Egg and MKE Brewing Co. but recomend reservations for their tours since they are often sold out long before tour time.

The OP didn't post 'when' in August but the last week of August will be nuts with the Harley 110th, gonna be cycles everywhere and almost every place will be at capacity (hotels, restaurants, attractions etc.)

The Blue Egg for brunch is great. 

I'm an original plank owner in Lakefront, but I have to say if you want to get the original Lakefront tour vibe when we use to slide down Bernie's original slide and drink(carefully) from Larry, Moe, or Curly you'll want to go to Milwaukee Brewing in the 5th/3rd Ward.  Does anyone know where 3rd and 5th Ward split(National?).  Anyway Milwaukee Brewing is a great small scale brewery that has great beer but isn't as "known" as Lakefront and Sprecher(not nearly as packed on Friday's and Saturday's).

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 02:00:40 PM »
Roots closed.  It is now "Wolf Peach".  Same location, different owner - have not been there since it changed so I cannot make a recommendation.

I prefer Wolf Peach to its predecessor Roots.

To add to the list by MUGrad2006:

I would definitely also hit up Comet Cafe from breakfast/brunch - best in the city hands down.
Oscar's on Pierce is better than Sobelman's now for burgers - it was started by one of the original cooks.
I also dig Honeypie (from scratch slow food), Three Brothers (Eastern European) and Pastiche (French bistro) in Bay View.
Crazy Water in the 5th Ward is awesome as well, need reservations tho as it's a small restaurant.
Polonez in St. Francis is great Polish food.

For something pretty historic and fun head out to Holler House, the oldest registered bowling alley in the US.
But I like to throw handfuls...

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 02:32:04 PM »
I prefer Wolf Peach to its predecessor Roots.

To add to the list by MUGrad2006:

I would definitely also hit up Comet Cafe from breakfast/brunch - best in the city hands down.
Oscar's on Pierce is better than Sobelman's now for burgers - it was started by one of the original cooks.
I also dig Honeypie (from scratch slow food), Three Brothers (Eastern European) and Pastiche (French bistro) in Bay View.
Crazy Water in the 5th Ward is awesome as well, need reservations tho as it's a small restaurant.
Polonez in St. Francis is great Polish food.

For something pretty historic and fun head out to Holler House, the oldest registered bowling alley in the US.

I agree that every one of these is great as well,  Can't believe I forgot Holler House.  Will need to try out Wolf Peach, now that I don't live in MKE I can't keep up with openings/closings as well anymore. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 02:37:23 PM »
Third vote for the Harley Museum.  Even if you don't care for motorcycles, I'd have it tops on a list for out-of-town people.

La Mirenda (owned by a MU grad) for dinner.

And make sure you have a bowl of Real Chili while you are on campus.

The Milwaukee Public Museum and Art Museum are solid time fillers, as well.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »
Do a booze cruise on the river/lake https://www.edelweissboats.com/
Bring back FFP!!!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 03:07:56 PM »
Another bar will some history and character is the Best Place Milwaukee, it's the bar in the old Pabst brewery and there are tours and military get a discount if that tickles your fancy.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 05:00:10 PM »
These are a lot of great ideas.  The pontoon rentals or Edelweiss trips on the Milwaukee River are a blast.  Or try a private sailing charter for a picnic or couple hours in Lake Michigan--I know this guy and it's top notch... http://www.seadogsailingmilwaukee.com/
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
Charter a Lake Michigan fishing boat. Salmon fishin' should be good at that time. It'll only set you back about 6 big ones for half day. What the hell, that's nothing' for a Cali family, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUBillsTil2017

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 05:59:27 PM »
6 big ones to fish?  Yeah thanks for bringing that up, I was going to ask. Unfortunately my wife doesn't fish and would want another $600 for her own fun while I'm on the boat.    While I live in Cali, I'm just a working stiff.  $1200+tip for fish is too steep!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »
Welcome to the Marquette family!  There have been numerous suggestions here so let me take this in a slightly different direction.

Family Orientation takes place on Wednesday and Wednesday evening so that day and evening will be committed to campus.  Wednesday is 'load in' day.  You'll then go back to the hotel and clean up for Convocation; a beautiful ceremony that Frosh and their parents attend.  It is the one time that the entire Class of '17 will attend together until Commencement 4 years later.  Convocation really represents the last hug goodbye and through the years some of the pictures have been priceless.  After that, the 'O Staff' is committed to breaking the apron strings in an effort to get the kids acclimated to their new home.  In many ways, tougher on the moms than anyone.

If your plans allow, your fun in Milwaukee should come in the day or two that follow.  Enjoy and again, welcome.