[Today at 12:43:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best Electives at MU  (Read 26968 times)

YoungMUFan4

• All American
Best Electives at MU
« on: October 21, 2011, 02:17:41 PM »
I need a non business elective for this semester...any suggestions?

🏀

• All American
Re: Best Electives at MU
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 02:36:09 PM »
I took a movie class one year, it was really good. Class met on Mondays for 3 hours to watch a movie, attendance was optional if you could watch the movie on your own. Then there was an easy discussion on Wednesday that never lasted more than a hour. There was four papers that made up your grade, really easy work.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 02:47:02 PM »
I took a movie class one year, it was really good. Class met on Mondays for 3 hours to watch a movie, attendance was optional if you could watch the movie on your own. Then there was an easy discussion on Wednesday that never lasted more than a hour. There was four papers that made up your grade, really easy work.

Was Roger Parr teaching that class?  I took him in the early 80's.  He actually took the class seriously.

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 02:56:46 PM »
JFK Assassination with McAdams.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »
I need a non business elective for this semester...any suggestions?

History of Jazz...  Count the basketball players in the class the first day... then the rest of the days. :)

Acting for non-majors (lol non-majors)

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 03:03:31 PM »
I know John Grams isnt around anymore but history of jazz was the easiest class at MU ( I think 80% of the class turned in the same 6 papers that were written years ago). Some other easy ones: crim 101 with Zevits which im sure you've taken and if so take juvinile delecuency with Nicole Hanna, threatre appreciation is easy, argumntation was the easiet A I ever received but you have to go to class unlike Jazz, Sports Marketing is pretty easy but more-so its an awesome class and I highly recomend it, history of Vietnam for sure, American history with McDaniels, the other ones I can't think of.
Bring back FFP!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 03:06:33 PM »
Theater for non-theater majors.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 03:13:43 PM »
Was Roger Parr teaching that class?  I took him in the early 80's.  He actually took the class seriously.

Can't remember the name, but it wasn't that. The professor was serious, but I sure wasn't. Easy A.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 03:36:51 PM »
History of Jazz...  Count the basketball players in the class the first day... then the rest of the days. :)

+1

Also, if they're still offered:  Jewish Thought and Practice and Philosophy of Humor.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »
I know John Grams isnt around anymore but history of jazz was the easiest class at MU ( I think 80% of the class turned in the same 6 papers that were written years ago). Some other easy ones: crim 101 with Zevits which im sure you've taken and if so take juvinile delecuency with Nicole Hanna, threatre appreciation is easy, argumntation was the easiet A I ever received but you have to go to class unlike Jazz, Sports Marketing is pretty easy but more-so its an awesome class and I highly recomend it, history of Vietnam for sure, American history with McDaniels, the other ones I can't think of.

History of Vietnam War was an awesome class, but I can't remember the prof/he might not have even been there anymore. Pretty easy workload, a couple of quizzes, etc. But the prof really set it apart. Entire class is all lecture without any kind of visual aid or anything at all, but the lectures were the most engaging I had ever attended. The guy knew the war inside and out, and does a great job with all the cultural phenomena surrounding it. I think he might have been adjunct at the time. cbowe, you remember the prof's name?

ATLmarquettefan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 03:39:24 PM »
Business of Music...I think it's only offered every other year or something and technically not a business class

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 03:51:35 PM »
Yeah the Vietman guy is Steven Houser (spelling's wrong but something like that) The class is unbelievable if your into history. The guy stands there and talks for an hour, but it flys by. He is a wild character who knows everything there is to know about Vietnam. You have the midterm and final with a few quizes in between and then 2 papers throughout the semester on a couple books.

I took this class my last semester and really regret finding the teacher so late in my career, I would have taken everything he had to offer because he is that entertaining/good at what he does.
Bring back FFP!!!

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 03:51:53 PM »
Women in Prison -- Sociology

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »
Sports Marketing was one of my favorite classes at MU. The speakers that Joe T get's are pretty sweet. Plus, your textbook is the Sports Business Journal - it was awesome.
But I like to throw handfuls...

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 05:06:56 PM »
Nature of Mathematics taught by Wim Ruitenberg. Pretty easy A and Wim is the man.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 05:29:55 PM »
Introduction to visual communication.  It's probably the most ridiculous elective I took at Marquette.  Laurence Soley's the professor you want.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 05:34:37 PM »
Yeah the Vietman guy is Steven Houser (spelling's wrong but something like that) The class is unbelievable if your into history. The guy stands there and talks for an hour, but it flys by. He is a wild character who knows everything there is to know about Vietnam. You have the midterm and final with a few quizes in between and then 2 papers throughout the semester on a couple books.

I took this class my last semester and really regret finding the teacher so late in my career, I would have taken everything he had to offer because he is that entertaining/good at what he does.

Another +1 here.  Name is spelled Stephen Hauser.  I took this my final semester because I enjoy history, but didn't major in it, and knew very little about the Vietnam era.  The reviews are right, he knows everything there is to know about the entire era, and is one of the most enthralling professors I had at Marquette.  Not only does he offer a tremendous amount of knowledge on the topic, his lectures are bordering on the theatrical, which makes each class a lot of fun to go to.  Very few professors can hold a group of people's attention as consistently has he did.  

And yeah, the class load wasn't too hard either.  Some quizzes and two longer tests... all questions are straightforward, no tricks.  You definitely have to go and pay attention, but if you have any interest in Vietnam, the class is good enough that you'll want to anyway.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:13:05 PM by shiloh26 »

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 05:41:50 PM »
Theology 179 Special Topics in Morality.  The prof. gives you the questions to all the tests beforehand and there is basically no reading or homework.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »
Another +1 here.  Name is spelled Stephen Hauser.  I took this my final semester because I am enjoy history, but didn't major in it, and knew very little about the Vietnam era.  The reviews are right, he knows everything there is to know about the entire era, and is one of the most enthralling professors I had at Marquette.  Not only does he offer a tremendous amount of knowledge on the topic, his lectures are bordering on the theatrical, which makes each class a lot of fun to go to.  Very few professors can hold a group of people's attention as consistently has he did.  

And yeah, the class load wasn't too hard either.  Some quizzes and two longer tests... all questions are straightforward, no tricks.  You definitely have to go and pay attention, but if you have any interest in Vietnam, the class is good enough that you'll want to anyway.

Oh man, I didn't take the Vietnam War class with Hauser but I had him for Western Civ.  We called it 'story time with Dr Hauser'.  By far the most awesome, engaging history class I've ever taken.  I still remember things I learned in that class 10 years later, and I'm not a history guy.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 09:12:10 PM »
I only had three true electives in my time there, but as a freshman took Criminology and it was great.  The class size was by far the largest of any of my classes, which I didn't dig, but the subject matter was great.  Can't imagine some of the stuff they cover in criminology nowadays.  Back then it was fingerprints and footprints.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 12:15:20 AM »

Yes, +1

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 12:18:17 AM »
Oh man, I didn't take the Vietnam War class with Hauser but I had him for Western Civ.  We called it 'story time with Dr Hauser'.  By far the most awesome, engaging history class I've ever taken.  I still remember things I learned in that class 10 years later, and I'm not a history guy.

Best thing about Hauser is his impression of Lyndon Johnson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 01:34:20 AM »
Best thing about Hauser is his impression of Lyndon Johnson

His Herbert Hoover wasn't half bad either. LBJ to Hoover - shows his range.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 12:59:54 PM »

I took him for Western Civ as well. Definitely one of my favorite professors at Marquette.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 02:07:29 PM »

His Hubert Humphrey was probably my favorite.  Especially directly contrasted with his Richard Nixon and Douglas MacArthur. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 02:10:53 PM »

His Hubert Humphrey was probably my favorite.  Especially directly contrasted with his Richard Nixon and Douglas MacArthur. 

I still got an A.

C League Champs

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 08:21:58 PM »
Gangs with Tom Kukowski AKA Tommy K. Really funny guy, MPD officer, and he only has you there for an hour max everyday since that's all of his "attention span." Class is optional, but I went to all of them because of how cool it was.

3 or 4 tests that are directly from the notes.

You watch Gangland and other gang videos he has in his stash and learn about Milwaukee, Chicago, and LA gangs. Awesome stories that I tell friends about all the time.

Go to the final class and watch the video of the "superhero of Milwaukee" 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
4never's 3rd year of dental school class that he teaches, "expertise in oral exploration and hygiene" made PTM a man.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2011, 11:30:17 PM »
4never's 3rd year of dental school class that he teaches, "expertise in oral exploration and hygiene" made PTM a man.

When's its free dental care on campus, who can turn it down?

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 11:54:17 PM »
White Collar Crime with Ed Bauman was the easiest class ive taken so far at MU by far.  The grade is based on a mid term, a final and a group presentation.  The teacher also gives you every single question on the test before the test day.  If you are not mentally challanged, you will get an A in this class

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 10:31:59 AM »
White Collar Crime with Ed Bauman was the easiest class ive taken so far at MU by far.  The grade is based on a mid term, a final and a group presentation.  The teacher also gives you every single question on the test before the test day.  If you are not mentally challanged, you will get an A in this class

That class was disgustingly easy.
If you get an A on the mid-term and presentation and are a graduating senior, you don't have to take the final.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 10:45:51 AM »
John Grams passed away earlier this year. RIP easiest class ever

http://www.marquette.edu/newsbriefs/2011/Students/March-2011-Students/March-17-11-NB-STUDENTS.html#a2

If you're actually into music check out History of Rock 'N Roll w/ Naylor. The class is not offered every term nor is it an easy A.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 10:46:21 AM »
White Collar Crime

...especially if Ed Baumann (Pewaukee Police Chief) is teaching it - he may only teach it in the Spring because he coaches football in the Fall.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 10:49:13 AM »
White Collar Crime

...especially if Ed Baumann (Pewaukee Police Chief) is teaching it - he may only teach it in the Spring because he coaches football in the Fall.

I took this class in Spring '09. I'll never forget when he unholstered his gun and put it on his desk as he was handing out a test, as though to say, "I dare you to cheat"

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 08:28:12 AM »
#1 for McAdams JFK class

History of Baseball was an interesting class taught by Prof. Hylton of the law school.  Definately not a a blow off though.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 10:04:21 AM »
Can't remember the name, but it wasn't that. The professor was serious, but I sure wasn't. Easy A.

I took that class also.  $2 buzz before class and go watch a movie.  Easy A and saw some decent movies as I remember.  The Wild Bunch, The Candidate and Dog Day Afternoon were 3 we saw.

Another great elective was "Basketball Physics" at the Varsity.  Attendance was optional and we got to bring in a half sheet of paper with as much as you could possibly write on it, front and back, to the midterm and final.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 10:13:46 AM »

Great Class. Incredibly interesting, writing intensive, but rather easy

http://www.marquette.edu/newsbriefs/2011/Students/March-2011-Students/March-17-11-NB-STUDENTS.html#a2

RIP Grams.
Only prof to say shut the unnatural carnal knowledge up in class and I respected him for it.

His history of Early broadcasting and Radio production classes quite good as well. If they're still offered, see who's taken over and try to fit it in

History of Television is another good class. Was a tues/thurs when I was there. 1/2 lecture, Half TV show
od
If you're actually into music check out History of Rock 'N Roll w/ Naylor. The class is not offered every term nor is it an easy A.

eroc830

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2011, 02:53:32 PM »
I took this class in Spring '09. I'll never forget when he unholstered his gun and put it on his desk as he was handing out a test, as though to say, "I dare you to cheat"

The first thing he said during the first class was, "You will get an 'A' in this class, unless you don't want to, or you are an idiot."  Its real easy and actually enjoyable to attend some days, and if not then you just take a nap in class.  I took it with about 15 buddies and it was well worth it.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 10:32:24 PM »

So sad to hear.

He wasn't "enthralling" but the topic piqued my interest. His recordings of his personal interviews with Jazz's heavy hitters just amazed me. I didn't use anyone's papers and just wrote my own because I love music.

Two more things: 1) He introduced me to the wonderful world of Bunny Berigan and 2) who knew he wrote books on toy trains!

Not an easy 'A' but I totally recommend "Gross Anatomy". Dr. Rajala led my class but I still talk about dissecting a human body today with my classes, my friends...it's a once in a lifetime experience. You really appreciate the "machines" that humans are.

Here was a continuing ed class description: http://www.marquette.edu/health-sciences/continuing-ed-grossupper.shtml
SS Marquette

feedback