[Today at 12:43:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Indiana at Wisconsin tonight ESPN  (Read 28255 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Indiana at Wisconsin tonight ESPN
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2011, 11:55:58 AM »
Do they give a trophy out for doing what Notre Dame has done?  No.

Do they give a trophy out for winning the Maui Invitational, the Great Alaska Shootout, etc?  Yes.

Trophy = Banner

Got it.

Needless to say, I should probably get working on that 1988 Pinewood Derby banner for my basement.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2011, 11:58:28 AM »
Trophy = Banner

Got it.

Needless to say, I should probably get working on that 1988 Pinewood Derby banner for my basement.

Basement?? Fly it with pride from your front porch!

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2011, 12:03:10 PM »
"We all know?"  Really?  Is that like Always, Never, Vast Majority schtick that Lenny uses?  No, we don't know.  That is YOUR OPINION.

The way you crap on those tournament championships, maybe we should go to the Al later today and have a book burn in and instead of using books, we'll burn the trophies.  After all, what's the point of having a trophy for such a lame achievement?  Right?  Or is a trophy ok but not a banner?  I'm just curious.   

While we're at it, maybe we should strip the players names off the All Tournament teams as well, I mean it's just a lame tournament.  Let's take it out of the media guides, we certainly wouldn't want to honor their achievements at all.

You do realize that other schools do this, right?  You realize that some schools, even ones like Duke, hang banners symbolizing where they finished in an AP poll.  How dare they....it smacks of everyone getting a trophy (which is ironic as hell since only the champion of these preseason tournaments actually gets a trophy). 

I realize that I could be walking into a fist, because I don't know the answer to this question, but....

Chicos, name all the top ecehlon NCAA D1 basketball programs that hang banners for pre season tournaments

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2011, 12:06:51 PM »
Trophy = Banner

Got it.

If that's what you want to do, knock yourself out. 

The Athletic Department chose to put up banners congratulating our basketball team for winning a prestigious tournament.  Other schools do similar things.  This has more to do with hatred of a previous coach, IMO, than anything else. 

I guess I never understood why honoring REAL accomplishments of our teams is a bad thing.  What's next, are we going to ask Warthog to take off some of his kill marks off the side of his A-10?  I'm sure some people find it offensive and braggadocio by pilots....personally, I love it and hope to see my military's planes loaded with kill marks. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but this screams AGAIN of people just hating on one individual and not seeing the forest through the trees.  These players accomplished something pretty cool and MU chose to honor them.  Wow, what a concept.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »
"but this screams AGAIN of people just hating on one individual"

yes, but a dbag of an individual who came up with a douchey idea of creating banners to hang for pre-season tournaments...

what's hard to understand...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »
"but this screams AGAIN of people just hating on one individual"

yes, but a dbag of an individual who came up with a douchey idea of creating banners to hang for pre-season tournaments...

what's hard to understand...

Some people, I would think, can separate the person from what was done.  I've said often that Crean could be a huge prick, that doesn't mean I don't tip my hat to him for bringing my university to the Final Four, getting us into the Big East, etc, etc.   There are some things he did very well and some things he didn't do well.  Some of you guys throw the baby out with the bathwater and paint everything that happened in 9 years as soiled because of your hatred of the guy.

What's hard to understand? 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2011, 01:14:30 PM »
If that's what you want to do, knock yourself out. 

The Athletic Department chose to put up banners congratulating our basketball team for winning a prestigious tournament.  Other schools do similar things.  This has more to do with hatred of a previous coach, IMO, than anything else. 

I guess I never understood why honoring REAL accomplishments of our teams is a bad thing.  What's next, are we going to ask Warthog to take off some of his kill marks off the side of his A-10?  I'm sure some people find it offensive and braggadocio by pilots....personally, I love it and hope to see my military's planes loaded with kill marks. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but this screams AGAIN of people just hating on one individual and not seeing the forest through the trees.  These players accomplished something pretty cool and MU chose to honor them.  Wow, what a concept.

I think it made MU look like a second rate basketball program and, as I stated previously, my opinion has nothing to do with Tom Crean.

I've stated my opinion and whether others agree or disagree, I couldn't care less...though I have a feeling that won't stop you from trying to point out how "wrong" those of us are who share this belief.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2011, 01:55:51 PM »
I think it made MU look like a second rate basketball program and, as I stated previously, my opinion has nothing to do with Tom Crean.

I've stated my opinion and whether others agree or disagree, I couldn't care less...though I have a feeling that won't stop you from trying to point out how "wrong" those of us are who share this belief.

Are the banners still up at the Al and Bradley Center?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »
Some people, I would think, can separate the person from what was done.  I've said often that Crean could be a huge prick, that doesn't mean I don't tip my hat to him for bringing my university to the Final Four, getting us into the Big East, etc, etc.   There are some things he did very well and some things he didn't do well.  Some of you guys throw the baby out with the bathwater and paint everything that happened in 9 years as soiled because of your hatred of the guy.

What's hard to understand? 

Where in this conversation is anyone talking about the Final Four or the Big East? Are you going off on a tangent for a reason? People are talking about how TC, in an typical display of self aggrandizement, decided to commission and hang banners for preseason tournament success. You often claim that you think he was a douche, yet when people give examples of him acting as such you go ballistic. That's hypocritical.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2011, 03:06:12 PM »
Right. Because the 2006 Duke team, that finished 6th in the ACC and exited in the first round of the tournament, is pretty much the same as the Duke team that MU played this year.
And Buzz had the benefit of some guy named Wade, not to mention a four-year starter at point guard, against the Zags this year.
Solid, solid comparisons.

Did you forget to post the similar comparison for Gonzaga, or did you intentionally ignore that comparision?

BTW, since you're crediting Wade for the win over Gonzaga, how many turnovers did Wade have that game?  Hint: 9.
Was he the even MU's leading scorer in the game? Hint: No.  

Maybe Wade, in the fifth game of his career was still closer to the promising kid who wasn't an RSCI top 100 player out of HS as opposed to a top 5 NBA draft pick.

Finally, I don't see the team being as dismissive about winning this tournament as our fans seem to be. Somebody must have forgotten to tell our guys that this tournament wasn't worth celebrating.  

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2011, 03:43:19 PM »
BTW, since you're crediting Wade for the win over Gonzaga, how many turnovers did Wade have that game?  Hint: 9.
Was he the even MU's leading scorer in the game? Hint: No.  

Did I "credit" Wade for the win? Hint: No.
Am I basketball ignorant enough to think that his presence on the court - especially after he tore up Tennesee and Indiana - didn't influence Gonzaga's defense so that David Diggs and Travis Diener were left open to shoot 9-for-13 from beyond the arc that night? Hint: No.
Was Wade MVP of the tournament? Hint: Yes.

Maybe Wade, in the fifth game of his career was still closer to the promising kid who wasn't an RSCI top 100 player out of HS as opposed to a top 5 NBA draft pick.

Yes, because as we've all seen, the RSCI is the finest measure of talent.
Remind me, how did Wade do the game before against Indiana? Hint: 21 points and 8 rebounds.
How'd he do against Tennessee? Hint: 30 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 steals and 1 block in 26 minutes.

Apparently, for a couple of nights at least, he forgot he wasn't an RSCI top 100 player out of HS.

Finally, I don't see the team being as dismissive about winning this tournament as our fans seem to be. Somebody must have forgotten to tell our guys that this tournament wasn't worth celebrating.  

Good for them. They should be proud and thrilled.
But I don't see many dismissing the tournaments or the wins. What I see is mocking the idea of hanging a banner in the Bradley Center to memorialize them.
Of course, you know that already.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2011, 04:12:32 PM »

Simple question....should we take down the National Catholic Champions banner?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2011, 04:16:09 PM »
Where in this conversation is anyone talking about the Final Four or the Big East? Are you going off on a tangent for a reason? People are talking about how TC, in an typical display of self aggrandizement, decided to commission and hang banners for preseason tournament success. You often claim that you think he was a douche, yet when people give examples of him acting as such you go ballistic. That's hypocritical.

Ballistic?  Please.

You think the banners were done to display self aggrandizement and you say that as your opinion nothing more.  There is no factual evidence to support that at all.

My point in bringing up the other stuff is that people want to harp on the guy at an alarming rate for a number of things.  It seems that no achievement in those 9 years can be said without the same clowns getting their diapers soiled to remind us what a douche he was.  We get it, you don't like him.  A lot of people don't like him.  A lot of people don't like you.  A lot of people don't like me.  It is what it is.

Now, can someone answer the question I asked, are the banners still up at the Al and\or the BC?

Secondly, should we take down the National Catholic Championship banner?

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #163 on: January 25, 2011, 04:49:38 PM »

Once again Joanie lays it on the line as only a Harbaugh can! Can we get Jack in here to tell us the story about little Stanford taking on the Mighty Trojans of USC?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #164 on: January 25, 2011, 04:54:43 PM »
Ballistic?  Please.

You think the banners were done to display self aggrandizement and you say that as your opinion nothing more.  There is no factual evidence to support that at all.

My point in bringing up the other stuff is that people want to harp on the guy at an alarming rate for a number of things.  It seems that no achievement in those 9 years can be said without the same clowns getting their diapers soiled to remind us what a douche he was.  We get it, you don't like him.  A lot of people don't like him.  A lot of people don't like you.  A lot of people don't like me.  It is what it is.

Now, can someone answer the question I asked, are the banners still up at the Al and\or the BC?

Secondly, should we take down the National Catholic Championship banner?

The banners are not up in the BC, I'm not sure about the Al; I haven't been there in a long time.

I'm not old enough to know what the significance of the National Catholic Tournement was at the time and there is very little information about it on the internet so I can't really speak to that.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2011, 01:16:29 AM »
But I don't see many dismissing the tournaments or the wins. What I see is mocking the idea of hanging a banner in the Bradley Center to memorialize them.

Really?  Here's what I read.
'Some things are worth honoring. This smacks of "everyone gets a trophy"'

Clearly the poster wasn't quibbling over the format of how we honor those wins.

There's a certain irony is comparing to a tournament in which "everyone gets a trophy" since we know that neither Duke nor Gonzaga actually received a championship banner from those tournaments. 

Later, that same poster said:
"At the end of ther day those stupid banners had nothing to do with the players."

The photos suggest otherwise. 

Had Al won the 1967 Rainbow Classic in Hawaii and took home a championship banner to hang, it would be a storied tradition at MU to bring it back to MIlwaukee. 

But because Al didn't win in Hawaii, and Hank didn't win either the Rainbow or the GAS, and O'Neill didn't win anything but stories about blown out shoes in the Preseason NIT, and Deane didn't win the San Juan Shootout, and Buzz is now 0-3 in such tournaments--we NOW have to belittle the recognition of what we DID win.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2011, 07:35:27 AM »

Simple question....should we take down the National Catholic Champions banner?

Why would they take that banner down? Yes, that team finished under .500 overall but they won a postseason tournament.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
Ballistic?  Please.

We get it, you don't like him.  A lot of people don't like him.  A lot of people don't like you.  A lot of people don't like me.  It is what it is.

The "vast majority" (66.6%) of your statments are correct - a lot of people don't like him or you.

feedback