'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Smith transferring from MU  (Read 30055 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Smith transferring from MU
« Reply #125 on: December 27, 2010, 12:25:24 PM »
Maybe he didnt like playing for a coach who never has a set rotation and seemed to make substitutions using a roulette wheel.

I could see the Buzzisms wearing thin over the next two years and his wacky eccentric behavior veers to just plain unstable. Over and under on the next press conference he breaks into tears talking about 'Us" and how much he loves the kids? I wish he would stop with the exaggerations. He loves Smith's Family? Give me a break, how many times has he met the family and how much time. Stop throwing around the word love.

Do you ever deviate from being critical of Buzz Williams?  As for a gambling analogy - think it is time for you to put your chips on the table, and share with us just what your issues are with Coach Buzz - who has taken the team to 2 NCAA's, taken last year's team projected as 12th in the Big East to a 6 seed in the NCAA tourney, and has signed more Top 100 players, JUCO All American's, in his first 3 years on the job at MU than any other coach in MU history, and his players have yet to have any off-court incidents?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

mugrad99

• Team Captain
Reggie and playing time
« Reply #126 on: December 27, 2010, 12:55:46 PM »
Definitely see your point..for sure..and Buzz does throw around the word love a lot..no doubt.  However, in all of the footage I a saw whether it was Revealed, postgame interviews, pre-season interviews, media day, etc...when it pertained to Reggie..it really did not seem like coach speak..it was of the capital letter variety:  LOVE.  Just my perception of it..but certainly can agree with your point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j9f2wr7q1g

MARQKC

• Starter
Re: Reggie Smith to Transfer?
« Reply #127 on: December 27, 2010, 01:00:26 PM »
According to Rosiak it sounds like he was upset about playing time.  You are a freshman.  Goodbye.

+1

Actually, it sounds like the stepdad was upset about playing time. From Rosiak, quoting Buzz: “Reggie didn’t say anything; it was just his stepdad. . . ."

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 01:10:32 PM by MARQKC »

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 27, 2010, 01:02:08 PM »
I've heard the same thing...amazing how they've been "battling illness".....it's like Gerald Posey and his "toothache" with Dukiet. 

It's that famous Marquette flu!

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #129 on: December 27, 2010, 01:20:44 PM »
Maybe I missed something.  Was Smith a MdAA? a top 25? top 50 top75 recruit?  Was he the top recruit in Illinois or even the top point recruit in Ill? And ,of course, he had offers from all the big name programs, duke, Kansas, UNC, etc. and was going to start for them ?

As a Freshman he was the starting point on a Beast team and had every opportunity to show one n all what he could do?

What am I missing?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 27, 2010, 01:34:47 PM »
Maybe I missed something.  Was Smith a MdAA? a top 25? top 50 top75 recruit?  Was he the top recruit in Illinois or even the top point recruit in Ill? And ,of course, he had offers from all the big name programs, duke, Kansas, UNC, etc. and was going to start for them ?

As a Freshman he was the starting point on a Beast team and had every opportunity to show one n all what he could do?

What am I missing?

Nothing. Smith was not 1st team all-state (maybe not even 2nd team). He was not on any top 100 list that I saw. He wasn't big enough to play the 2 and had not developed the skills required to play the 1. He had athleticism and potential, and for that reason was getting some playing time (more than his performance indicated he had earned). No matter what he or his stepdad thinks he was not Big East ready. Too bad about their impatience and inability to deal with reality. Goodbye and good luck.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #131 on: December 27, 2010, 01:55:29 PM »
2 years in a row we lose guys at the semester who HAVE been getting pt.  BE A MAN AND FINISH THE YEAR!!!  I can't believe these guys are getting supportive advice to just quit on their team during the season like that....

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 27, 2010, 01:58:57 PM »
I think Buzz has been concerned for some time that he may not have the long term answer to PG (the most critical position) on the current roster.  Hence the recruiting on one in next year's class when we already have 2 + a walk on redshirt.  It may be that Reggie figured out he might not be the guy or at least he don't want to put in all the time to later find out he wasn't the guy.  We've been very spoiled by Deiner and Dominic being ready to play day one.
I wish these guys would at least give it a whole year before opting out.  That is the most concerning thing to me.  

wesmat23

• Starter
  • Veezy V G.T.S.T
Re: Reggie and playing time
« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2010, 02:05:11 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j9f2wr7q1g

He accepted the challange but failed. He himself said he wanted to work hard for his minutes instead of getting to start right away like all other coaches were telling him. I guess in the end he couldnt man up. Now he will be able to start without having to work for it I guess.

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Reggie and playing time
« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2010, 02:12:57 PM »
He accepted the challange but failed. He himself said he wanted to work hard for his minutes instead of getting to start right away like all other coaches were telling him. I guess in the end he couldnt man up. Now he will be able to start without having to work for it I guess.

Here's a guarantee:  Reggie would have gotten more playing time between now and next December at MU than he will get where he ends up.  I just don't understand when a freshman sits out a year because he's not getting enough playing time.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2010, 02:15:17 PM »
I think Buzz has been concerned for some time that he may not have the long term answer to PG (the most critical position) on the current roster.  Hence the recruiting on one in next year's class when we already have 2 + a walk on redshirt.  It may be that Reggie figured out he might not be the guy or at least he don't want to put in all the time to later find out he wasn't the guy.  We've been very spoiled by Deiner and Dominic being ready to play day one.
I wish these guys would at least give it a whole year before opting out.  That is the most concerning thing to me.  
Yes, mid-year transfers don't make a lot of sense.  Essentially guys give up a half-season of PT/development. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2010, 02:15:46 PM »
Nothing. Smith was not 1st team all-state (maybe not even 2nd team). He was not on any top 100 list that I saw. He wasn't big enough to play the 2 and had not developed the skills required to play the 1. He had athleticism and potential, and for that reason was getting some playing time (more than his performance indicated he had earned). No matter what he or his stepdad thinks he was not Big East ready. Too bad about their impatience and inability to deal with reality. Goodbye and good luck.

For the most part I agree with you. But there must have been something behind the scenes that led him to believe he should be playing more. Perhaps he was outplaying Buycks and/or JC in practice...leading to him starting, but not getting starters minutes? I usually suspect freshmen misinterpret things, but something is odd about this one. He starts against Wisconsin, takes a nice charge and 30 seconds later was out of the game. Meanwhile, it appears to me that Buzz desperately wants Cadougan to play major minutes, but he's not starting. It honestly smells to me like maybe Smith was outperforming somebody in practice, but Buzz didn't want to play him.

Incidentally, for those comparing these transfers to Crean. Get a grip. Crean lost two guys (Blankson and Mason) who were not only starting, but getting a huge amount of minutes. There was also Amoroso, Bradley and a host of others. He also lost almost his entire staff every single year.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2010, 02:36:45 PM »
DJ Newbill, come on down.  Your BE dream is still alive!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2010, 02:41:46 PM »
I was also thinking, in retrospect, Buzz jettisoned the wrong dude to make room for Jamil.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2010, 03:12:31 PM »
Like most Marquette fans, it isn't fun to read bad news.  A young, promising freshman transferring is bad news.  After mulling over this news all day, the thought that comes to mind is that transferring "comes with the territory."  That is, when you recruit high level athletes that were the stars of their high school teams and they land at Marquette where they are no longer the star, but have to work their butts off for playing time, it's a rude awakening.  And, what's worse is to find out that maybe you are not as good as you thought; and, the other athletes may be even better.  Kids will transfer to play where they have a better chance to be the star of the team.   

Buzz's aggressive recruiting strategy to load up the team with top talent and let them compete for playing time should pay off with a highly talented competitive team.  But, there will be transfers along the way.  The best will stay and win at MU.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2010, 03:15:35 PM »
He also lost almost his entire staff every single year.

Do us all a favor and update the wiki, because it's all wrong.

Here's what the wiki says:

99-00 (Buckley, Stephens, Horn)
00-01 (Stephens, Horn, Kowalczyk)
01-02 n/a
02-03 (Strohm, Horn, Stephens, Holsopple)
03-04 n/a
04-05 (Strohm, Ellis, Rabadeaux, Wardle)
05-06 (Rabadeaux, Panaggio, Prioleau, Holsopple)
06-07 (Rabadeaux, Sichting, Seltzer)
07-08 (Buckley, Seltzer, Buzz, Rabadeaux, Barone)

Like all wiki information, I can't vouch for this.

P.S. - Buckley and Seltzer are still with him.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:22:34 PM by StillAWarrior »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2010, 03:28:34 PM »
Do us all a favor and update the wiki, because it's all wrong.

Here's what the wiki says:

04-05 (Strohm, Ellis, Rabadeaux, Wardle)
05-06 (Rabadeaux, Panaggio, Prioleau, Holsopple)
06-07 (Rabadeaux, Sichting, Seltzer)
07-08 (Buckley, Seltzer, Buzz, Rabadeaux, Barone)

Are you arguing with me or trying to support my argument? Rabedeaux HAD to stay...he had no other options. His past was practically sordid and Crean was the only one willing to hire him. Once that option died off he had to move to freaking CHINA to get a job! So yes...he did manage to keep him around. What we're left is a 4 season revolving door of Strohm, Ellis, Wardle, Panaggio, Prioleau, Holsopple, Sichting, and Barone. I'll give you Seltzer...there obviously must be something wrong with him. Great consistency in recruiting, I'm sure.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
Re: Reggie Smith to Transfer?
« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2010, 03:35:26 PM »
To be honest though - Matthews, McNeal were full time starters from Day 1 due to their being so little talent at MU when they arrived.  And Lazar - he got some pretty good PT as a freshman too - I believe around 18-20 minutes per game. 

That's a good point.   Perhaps, some of these nuances do "just come with the territory" when you have success recruiting.   Perhaps Buzz just overrecruits the guard position...for whatever reason.  That will cause playing time issues.   If Newbill would still be here the jam at the position would have even been worse. 

Best of luck to Reggie Smith for future success.   It is too bad the decision comes so quickly.  I do think back to Maymon, for a minute.....man, he would be logging major major minutes this year and I think contributing a ton....also would probably be enjoying playing with his pal, Blue.   Too bad....decisions like this can be made quickly but their impact can last a long time (for the players...and sometimes for the team).   

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2010, 03:36:49 PM »
Are you arguing with me or trying to support my argument? Rabedeaux HAD to stay...he had no other options. His past was practically sordid and Crean was the only one willing to hire him. Once that option died off he had to move to freaking CHINA to get a job! So yes...he did manage to keep him around. What we're left is a 4 season revolving door of Strohm, Ellis, Wardle, Panaggio, Prioleau, Holsopple, Sichting, and Barone. I'll give you Seltzer...there obviously must be something wrong with him. Great consistency in recruiting, I'm sure.

You said, "he lost almost his entire staff every single year."  Simply not true.  Why didn't you put 99-03/04 in there (more than half his tenure)?  Or are they not included in "almost every single year."  If you meant "almost every single year after 2003-04" you should have said that.

And, isn't it possible that the turnover in those years might have had at least something to do with the fact that Crean was considered a very hot coach in a hot program, placing his assistants in demand?

Look, I know you hate the guy.  And I'll admit that you have plenty of reason to hate him.  You're free to hate him if you want -- you don't have to exaggerate his record to justify your feelings.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:38:22 PM by StillAWarrior »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2010, 03:45:48 PM »
I was also thinking, in retrospect, Buzz jettisoned the wrong dude to make room for Jamil.

Newbill was easier to jettison since he had not officially been accepted as a student.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2010, 03:49:03 PM »
Buzz comes out in the media immediately and tells his side of a story (maybe not the story). Something that he didn't do after DJN transferred. I find it interesting that Reggie wanted to transfer and Buzz didn't try to stop him.

He had to.  He had to get out in front of bad news.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2010, 04:20:01 PM »
You said, "he lost almost his entire staff every single year."  Simply not true.  Why didn't you put 99-03/04 in there (more than half his tenure)?  Or are they not included in "almost every single year."  If you meant "almost every single year after 2003-04" you should have said that.

And, isn't it possible that the turnover in those years might have had at least something to do with the fact that Crean was considered a very hot coach in a hot program, placing his assistants in demand?

Look, I know you hate the guy.  And I'll admit that you have plenty of reason to hate him.  You're free to hate him if you want -- you don't have to exaggerate his record to justify your feelings.
I exaggerated. He lost his entire staff for four straight years.

And no, it's not possible that all those assistants left because he was a hot coach. If you believe that, you're an idiot.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2010, 04:25:22 PM »
Those years he lost coaches, how many took head coaching positions or were promoted at other institutions?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #148 on: December 27, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »
I exaggerated. He lost his entire staff for four straight years.

And no, it's not possible that all those assistants left because he was a hot coach. If you believe that, you're an idiot.

You're getting closer to telling the truth without exaggerating, but I know this is difficult for you.  Your statement still isn't true.  Seltzer and Rabadeaux stuck around.  I also wonder about Holsopple (don't remember him, but he shows up in 02-03 and again in 05-06; not sure if he left and came back or stayed).

And I never suggested that "all those assistants left because he was a hot coach."  I asked if it was possible that the turnover "might have had at least something to do with" him being a hot coach in a hot program.  You avoided that question and mischaracterized my point.  I would say that you insulted me, but I don't believe that "all those assistants left because he was a hot coach."  I do believe, however, that it was a factor.

MikeyT42

• Starter
« Reply #149 on: December 27, 2010, 05:26:02 PM »

He had to.  He had to get out in front of bad news.

Then why didn't he do that when Newbill was "released".

Was it because he actually was never apart of the team and couldn't comment on it? That would seem like an obvious answer.

It seems like everything played out today after Buzz issued a statement, versus, when Newbill was released we had 100's of posts speculating why he left and how it was handled.

Buzz isn't trying to save face here like he was this summer. This is simply a case of a player not working out, not fitting in, not seeing himself the way the coaches want him to play.

So be it. Junior, Dwight, Vander and DJO are our guards. Like it or leave it. I personally think we'll be fine. Jimmy can play the 3 as well. we have 4.5 guys for the 3 guard spots come Big East play. (if Jamil develops, you can add him to the mix). Jae, Jimmy, Gardner and Otule (Joe) for the other two spots. E will is the wild card.

Can't wait for the 29th to put this aside.