[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who to root for now???  (Read 3162 times)

SoCalEagle

• All American
Who to root for now???
« on: March 24, 2008, 01:17:06 PM »
Now that we're out, who should I root for (that is the question I've been thinking about since about one hour after our gut wrentching loss).  Well, here are a couple of options I like:

1. Villanova - They are in the BEast, but not really a rival.  They also have a good story, being such an underdog.  If you would have told me at the start of the tourny that they make it to the Sweet Sixteen, and we don't, I would have laughed.  But, they made it .... plus their game against Kansas will be a David v Gliath match-up. 

2. Xavier - They've got a good story .... did well in their leauge, but not really seen as a contender.  However, they have a better shot at beating WV than Villanova has at beating Kansas.

3. Davidson - It would be great to see a school that flies completely under the radar make it to the Final Four.  It would show all the "experts" that they really don'r know that much.  Plus, they play the Badgers next. 

So you can see that I am partial to underdogs and, with my Villanova and Xavier picks, to the catholic schools still in the tourny.  It would also be great to see a school with a small athletic budget beat a huge state powerhouse.

What do you think? 

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: Who to root for now???
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 01:18:06 PM »
Nova and Davidson as far as they can go!! one will win the nat'l championship  :o

timinatorx3

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
done with basketball til november. can't even look at it

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 01:26:28 PM »
ABS.
(anyone but Stanford)

leglegle

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 01:29:38 PM »
I'm rooting for Louisville.  I picked them to win the tournament in my bracket.  I certainly won't be backing Bucky.  I was with a Wisconsin fan yesterday and he was describing how Wisconsin is a lock for the final four - with an easy win over Kansas.  I don't quite see it going that way, but who am I to doubt a Badger fan?  ::)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 01:32:49 PM »
I'm rooting for...

1. Whoever plays the Badgers.
2. Whoever plays Stanford.
3. West Virginia

If Davidson wins, then Villanova moves past West Virginia.  Otherwise I don't want another upset pulled to make the Badgers road even easier.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 01:57:28 PM »
I'm rooting for...

1. Whoever plays the Badgers.
2. Whoever plays Stanford.
3. West Virginia

If Davidson wins, then Villanova moves past West Virginia.  Otherwise I don't want another upset pulled to make the Badgers road even easier.

I have trouble rooting for Thuggins, but I agree with your thought process.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 02:04:12 PM »

Besides that, I will root for whomever plays Wisconsin, however I admitedly will be a somewhat casual observer of the tournament from here on - pulling for the remaining Big East teams.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 02:09:22 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 02:11:53 PM »
I can't cheer for Nova.  Wisconsin has their typical free ride to the Elite 8 again....three straight double digit seeds.  If Nova wins, they would play 4 straight double digit seeds to get to the Final Four.

Somewhere I'm certain Bo Ryan is going direct to hell because he has cut way too many deals with the devil.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 02:39:59 PM »
I'm so sick of Badger fans telling me to get on the bandwagon. It's just not going to EVER happen. But what ticks me off even more than those fans are the fans that root for both MU and UW.

This group also includes my older brother who's a 1991 MU grad and got his masters from MU as well in 96. He tells me, "Now that Marquette is eliminated, you should root for Wisconsin, because they're still your state team." Here's another quote from my big bro..."I root for Wisconsin except for when they play Marquette."  WHAT?!?!?!Yeah...and Duke fans are all over the UNC bandwagon, right?

Why can't people just understand that this in state rivalry is deeper than most think. I hate Madison so much, I can't stand it. I hope Stephen Curry goes for 50 on those big white stiffs!

Other than that...GO BIG EAST!!!!

Sorry about the rant but my bro really pissed me off!

tonyreeder

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 02:40:53 PM »
I want Louisville to lay down an unbelievable beating on Tennessee then beat the Heels.  Definitely cheering for WV in the West. There was a 2 minute stretch during the Duke game where Alexander blocked a Duke shot, talked some smack at the Duke punk who got snuffed, then came back and stuck a 3 pointer in the guy's face.  He's my hero.   Will cheer for Villanova in the Midwest but if Kansas wins I'd like to see them level Bucky.  Want Sparty in the South.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 02:52:39 PM »
Badger Hockey and all the remaining BE teams....and somewhere deep down, being that I am a Milwaukee boy a long way from home, our remaining state BB representative. 

"Ya' can't take the country out of Salem."

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 02:53:11 PM »
I can never root for Wisconsin or Louisville. Just can't. I actually like 'Nova and would root for them, but as mentioned above I want to see Kansas in the Elite 8 because that would be the best scenario to keep UW from the Final Four. Personally, I would love to see Davidson get to the Final Four, but I just don't see it happening. As far as Louisville, I think they beat Tenn. and then lose in a close one to UNC. However, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see UNC go down to the Cards. I just hope Louisville, Stanford, and UW all lose this week. If they do I'll feel a lot better for opening day and the start to the Brewers season come Monday. Those teams losing will also help to lessen the blow to the gut I took after the MU loss this past weekend. I don't know when I will get over that loss. Hopefully, it's sooner than later.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 02:56:32 PM by MUFanInGreenBay »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 03:03:59 PM »
Agreed with MUGB, can't root for Louisville or Wisconsin.  I thought it was weird when I was in New Orleans with my Marquette stuff on and 2 guys with Louisville stuff on said "We're rooting for you!"  Don't get how you can do that...

I'm rooting for UNC, Davidson, Michigan State, and Xavier to get to the Final Four.  I hope Curry outscores the Badgers BY HIMSELF.  How amazing would that be?  I'd go for about 45 from him and 40 overall for the Badgers, that'd be a dream come true.  I've liked Michigan State ever since Neitzel dominated the Badgers in their first meeting last year (when they shouldn't have had a chance as the Badgers had Tucker/Taylor).  Izzo is an amazing tournament coach (and a nice guy...came to watch Korie Lucious play at Pius and I got a picture with him and he was real nice about it) and I like that program.  Xavier...well that's just personal choice, I almost went there and loved their campus and my sister graduated from there, plus the small conference school.  I have always LOVED UNC for as long as I can remember, not really sure why it started but it did, and love how they're just POUNDING teams.  They're like a robot right now...go in, have the game over by 10 minutes into the game, get out, repeat.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 03:07:27 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »
ABS

MU_Grad02

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 03:08:51 PM »
DAVIDSON!  DAVIDSON!  DAVIDSON!   ;D

And I suppose I need to become a Kansas fan (I think they have a better chance than Nova of beating the Badgers).  After our heartbreaking loss, I know I cant stomach seeing Wisconsin make the Final Four.  If they dont get beat by Davidson, I want to see Kansas run them out of the building!  The Rock Chalk Jayhawk cheer has haunted me since the Superdome, but I can get on board with it real quick if they play Bucky in the Elite Eight.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 03:14:52 PM »
Badger Hockey and all the remaining BE teams....and somewhere deep down, being that I am a Milwaukee boy a long way from home, our remaining state BB representative. 

"Ya' can't take the country out of Salem."

Badger Hockey....wow, talk about getting a gift for the NCAAs.  The only team in the field with a losing record (Wisconsin) gets in AND they get to play their games in Madison.  Unbelievable.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 04:08:39 PM »
Davidson.

Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 04:16:39 PM »
Davidson!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 04:27:51 PM »
Badger Hockey....wow, talk about getting a gift for the NCAAs.  The only team in the field with a losing record (Wisconsin) gets in AND they get to play their games in Madison.  Unbelievable.

That is a joke.  Probably worse than two years ago when they weren't playing well to end the season but still got the #1 overall seed and their path consisted of winning two games at the Resch Center in Green Bay and two at the Bradley Center for the national championship.

As far as college hockey goes, congrats to St. Norbert for winning the DIII title though.