[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Will Froling be a difference maker  (Read 8119 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Will Froling be a difference maker
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 03:53:19 PM »
I don't know.  I hope so.  If he is a poor man's Henry and can rebound and play some defense, he will be a huge lift.   If he is just a body, then nothing changesHaving a 10th body and another option on offense would have been nice today.

Make up your freaking mind! Will it not matter, or will it be nice??

I think it'll be nice. JMHO.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 04:47:29 PM »
My heart says difference maker.  My head is skeptical.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »
I think he will be able to help spread the court offensively.  As for defense and rebounding it’s hard to say as his game seems to be below the rim.  We shall see.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 05:09:19 PM »
Yes, Froling will be a difference maker. I expect him to challenge Matt and Theo for minutes. The competition will be good for all 3 post players — and help keep them fresh and out of foul trouble. Harry should also give Wojo more flexibility to put the right players on the floor at the right time.

From the scouting reports I've seen, Froling is known as a good rebounder and skilled scorer. And that was before he lost 50 pounds. Of the three, I won't be surprised if Harry scores the most points by season's end. I think Theo will end up being the best overall post defender, rebounder and shot blocker. As the most experienced player, Matt will probably get the most minutes. Who's the best passer/screener? Not sure at this point.

So likely a three-headed monster. I'm okay with that for now. To me, Heldt/John/Froling represents an upgrade in talent from Fischer/Heldt. Not a huge difference on the court right away, but a significantly higher ceiling.

I'm not sure if there's a single part of this that I would agree with. For starters, let's not act like not having a clear go-to big guy makes the trio a triple threat of some kind. Theo is as green as it gets and looks lost more often than not. Heldt has shown some instances where he gets it, but he's seriously outmatched in the conference. Froling has improved his body since last year, but he's still a guy that was only putting up 4 points a game at SMU last year. Having depth at the 4/5 is only going to help because our current bigs are foul machines that are more likely to foul out than score 10 points.

I was never the biggest fan of Luke, but this year's lineup is in no way more talented than last year's. It's not even close. The biggest upside to having Froling active will be allowing Sam to get out of the 4 spot and stay out on the wing for more of the game. We don't need to have him playing with his back to the basket any more.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »
I'm not sure if there's a single part of this that I would agree with. For starters, let's not act like not having a clear go-to big guy makes the trio a triple threat of some kind. Theo is as green as it gets and looks lost more often than not. Heldt has shown some instances where he gets it, but he's seriously outmatched in the conference. Froling has improved his body since last year, but he's still a guy that was only putting up 4 points a game at SMU last year. Having depth at the 4/5 is only going to help because our current bigs are foul machines that are more likely to foul out than score 10 points.

I was never the biggest fan of Luke, but this year's lineup is in no way more talented than last year's. It's not even close. The biggest upside to having Froling active will be allowing Sam to get out of the 4 spot and stay out on the wing for more of the game. We don't need to have him playing with his back to the basket any more.

Agree fully with your last comment. Sam on the wing will make him shine.  Concerning Fish, he was one of our better big men in recent years who was severely hampered by a bad shoulder. The sad part is even an often injured Fish is the best we had. When do we get a Delgado type Big? Apparently we can not attract what we have needed for so many years. Also, how about a true point gurad? We have two outstanding shooting guards but players ...
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 05:48:50 PM »
Froling will help the interior scoring but not in the way you think. He can shoot from outside and will draw some of the trees away from the rim,  clearing out room for the guards to attack
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 06:15:44 PM »
Maybe the announcers will stop referring to MU as a bunch of little guys for a change

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 06:46:07 PM »
No, hey? ‘til Wojo recruits some low post playas who can score and defend, his ass is gonna always bee handed to ‘im on a platter like it wuz today.

Do you add anything but your stupid schtick.  Jerry the frickin dentist.  Is your boy Looney playing yet?
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2017, 07:22:04 PM »

Same! But at worst, the extra big man will be a welcome piece. At best, he's an improvement over what we currently have, and turns a couple/few 50/50 games into wins.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2017, 07:46:33 PM »
No, hey? ‘til Wojo recruits some low post playas who can score and defend, his ass is gonna always bee handed to ‘im on a platter like it wuz today.
Froling gives us 5 more fouls against the good teams but not much else defensively.  He will score a lot against the cupcakes . I guess the question is can he score against a good team and we will find that out in conference play.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2017, 08:05:48 PM »
Yes, Froling will be a difference maker. I expect him to challenge Matt and Theo for minutes. The competition will be good for all 3 post players — and help keep them fresh and out of foul trouble. Harry should also give Wojo more flexibility to put the right players on the floor at the right time.

If he is not better than Theo after having a year in the system, it spells trouble.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 08:08:35 PM »
Ted

What does your bashing 4ever add to this post? The man knows ball at high level and your response is a waste of space. Is 4ever wrong or are you just being an a-hole?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 08:09:48 PM »
If he is not better than Theo after having a year in the system, it spells trouble.

Theo is one of those guys that is going to be an absolute monster as an upperclassman. Jalen Reynolds on X a few years ago type.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2017, 08:33:26 PM »
Ted

What does your bashing 4ever add to this post? The man knows ball at high level and your response is a waste of space. Is 4ever wrong or are you just being an a-hole?

I'm being an a-hole, but if he knows what he's talking about, I want him saying it in something other than Sheboyganese. 

Has he seen Froling to make the judgement?  I don't know, I watch as much video of a player to try to make a judgement.  Froling is skilled and is fundamentally sound.  He was a step slow covering out on the perimeter last year against Michigan's mobil big guys, but he has a skill level that neither Matt Heldt and Theo John have on the offensive end.  I want to see him now that he's lost the weight.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:38:14 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2017, 02:23:16 AM »
I'm not sure if there's a single part of this that I would agree with. For starters, let's not act like not having a clear go-to big guy makes the trio a triple threat of some kind. Theo is as green as it gets and looks lost more often than not.

Theo is definitely a work in progress. But he's big, athletic and a strong presence inside. Looks quicker to me than Matt and a better rebounder (seems to have a good feel for positioning) and shot blocker. It's clear he doesn't offer much on the offensive end right now. The biggest problem is fouls, which I expect will improve as he learns the scheme and gets more time on the court. We'll have to see.

Heldt has shown some instances where he gets it, but he's seriously outmatched in the conference.

I could be basing too much on his play at the end of last season. But he earned his minutes and helped the team down the stretch to make the tournament. He's never going to be one of best big men in the Big East. But he's shown that he can be a competent one. The question is can he do it consistently. If Theo and Harry do their part, he won't have to carry as much of the load.

Froling has improved his body since last year, but he's still a guy that was only putting up 4 points a game at SMU last year.

True, at this point, Froling is a question mark. But so was Luke before he saw the court with Marquette. Harry was a consensus 4-star recruit (like Luke) and on the radar of pro scouts. SMU was also an NCAA tournament team with a veteran front court (including one forward who's now in the NBA). No big surprise that Harry didn't get much playing time, especially given his poor conditioning. I don't think Wojo and the coaching staff brought him to campus for 4 ppg. Again, we'll see.

Having depth at the 4/5 is only going to help because our current bigs are foul machines that are more likely to foul out than score 10 points.

In 4 games so far, Heldt and John have played a combined 145 minutes (36.3 mpg). Between them, they've put up an average of 8.3 points, 7.8 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 0.8 steals, 1.3 blocks and 8 fouls per game. Clearly, they need to play better against top competition. We'll face teams as good as Purdue and Wichita State in conference play. I think rebounding will be just fine. I don't expect a big improvement in scoring. That's where Harry can help — and with the fouls, as you mentioned.

This front court likely won't match last year's for offensive production. But I do think it's already better on the defensive end (KenPom.com would seem to back this up). I see that as a bigger need for the team. As a young team, they'll have to get better every game along the way.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2017, 05:42:48 AM »
Yes he will make a difference.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2017, 05:52:55 AM »

From the scouting reports I've seen, Froling is known as a good rebounder and skilled scorer. And that was before he lost 50 pounds. Of the three, I won't be surprised if Harry scores the most points by season's end. I think Theo will end up being the best overall post defender, rebounder and shot blocker. As the most experienced player, Matt will probably get the most minutes. Who's the best passer/screener? Not sure at this point.

So likely a three-headed monster. I'm okay with that for now. To me, Heldt/John/Froling represents an upgrade in talent from Fischer/Heldt. Not a huge difference on the court right away, but a significantly higher ceiling.

If that is true, then we'll be dancing.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2017, 05:53:35 AM »
We need a Robert Jackson type who can run the floor.  Froling may be a hybrid and that would be GREAT!  So far, our biggest weakness is under our own glass.  Very few/no 2nd chances.  Missed shots almost become turnovers
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2017, 09:28:09 AM »
I might be in the minority, but I believe he will make a difference. At this point, Matt is not ready to be an everyday contributor against top teams. He has a long to go, IMO and am skeptical if he ever gets to a level of being anything beyond a ten minute a night backup. I have fingers crossed on Froling.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2017, 10:25:31 AM »
I'm going to say this once. (since I said it 100 times with Rowsey)

He didn't transfer here to ride the pine. He will be an improvement. He will play big minutes.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2017, 10:32:54 AM »
What will Bailey bring?

The Book of Mormon

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2017, 10:34:33 AM »
Froling will help the interior scoring but not in the way you think. He can shoot from outside and will draw some of the trees away from the rim,  clearing out room for the guards to attack

This.  He's got a darn good shot.  I perceive him as a face up, not back to the basket guy.  He played well in the season tix private practice if I'm remembering my history correctly.  I don't think he played in the UWM charity event.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2017, 10:37:37 AM »
We need a Robert Jackson type who can run the floor.  Froling may be a hybrid and that would be GREAT!  So far, our biggest weakness is under our own glass.  Very few/no 2nd chances.  Missed shots almost become turnovers

We had 15 offensive rebounds against VCU.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2017, 10:40:30 AM »
We had 15 offensive rebounds against VCU.

+1. Rebounding is sooooo much better than last year.  Please don't judge based on PU or WSU.  No team will rebound against PU.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2017, 12:01:14 PM »
+1. Rebounding is sooooo much better than last year.  Please don't judge based on PU or WSU.  No team will rebound against PU.

Also worth noting we have played two top 10 teams (I'm convinced Purdue will finish in Top 10 baring injury) out of four of our games and we were largely competitive in those two games. Does Froling make a difference in those games, unsure but he will make a difference generally or he wouldn't be here.

Purdue and WSU are the toughest teams we play outside of Nova(who's probably the best on our schedule) and likely Seton Hall, and we were competitive without Froling....add Froling and as long as he can protect the rim better than Heldt while being competent on PnR we will be better on both ends of the floor. I'm more confident than ever that we finish in the top half of the Big East this season(baring significant injury of course).
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."