[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ryder Cup  (Read 37827 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Ryder Cup
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2021, 11:44:14 PM »
I did. I enjoyed watching all those great competitors, and many more.

I also rooted for Usain Bolt, Nadia Comaneci, Alberto Tomba, Katarina Witt, and the Jamaican Bobsled Team.

Did you root against them and other incredible performers because, and only because, they weren't Americans?

If they're in the same event as an American athlete I root for the American.  Even if they for all intents and purposes have no chance.  When Marquette is playing against a team with a great player or someone I like I still root for MU. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2021, 11:48:16 PM »
If they're in the same event as an American athlete I root for the American.  Even if they for all intents and purposes have no chance.  When Marquette is playing against a team with a great player or someone I like I still root for MU.

Well, that is your right.

I rooted for Bolt every time he ran. If that makes me less of a "patriot" than you, I can accept that.

Quick question, though, Muggs:

Who do you root for when Rafa plays an American?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #177 on: September 15, 2021, 12:42:16 AM »
Well, that is your right.

I rooted for Bolt every time he ran. If that makes me less of a "patriot" than you, I can accept that.

Quick question, though, Muggs:

Who do you root for when Rafa plays an American?

Because we have no American man who is competitive at all and playing for GS titles.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:44:55 AM by MuggsyB »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #178 on: September 15, 2021, 04:49:51 AM »
Because we have no American man who is competitive at all and playing for GS titles.

So you’ll only root for Americans when they have a chance and aren’t a bunch of losers? 

How patriotic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2021, 06:30:05 AM »
Come on guys. Read the room. Keep your crap to yourselves.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #180 on: September 15, 2021, 07:06:16 AM »
I’ll admit I don’t cheer for the Americans in the Ryder Cup.  There are a lot of pampered crybabies on that team.  If I have to cheer for the American team because of patriotism, then maybe the American players should take playing for America a little more seriously, too. 

The Euros have plenty of knobs on their team with Garcia and Poulter leading the way but they want to be there and they want to win
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #181 on: September 15, 2021, 07:52:20 AM »

Game, set and match. Thanks for playing, though, Muggs!

Glad we'll both be rooting for Rafa in the Australian Open, no matter who he plays. Here's hoping he's fully healthy.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2021, 08:46:35 AM »
Of course Stricker is playing in South Dakota this week. Why not?

• All American
« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2021, 10:09:53 AM »

I don't understand this criticism.  Will the players be onsite this weekend?  Have the European players arrived?  What problems does playing this weekend present?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #184 on: September 15, 2021, 11:21:29 AM »

Yeah, that’s fine.  It’s not like he’s flying in from Australia or something.  He’s got his vice-captains in place and I’m guessing pairings are locked in

🏀

• All American
« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2021, 11:23:31 AM »

I don't understand this criticism.  Will the players be onsite this weekend?  Have the European players arrived?  What problems does playing this weekend present?

Yes, most players are in the area. Some Euros are there. Stricker should be on-site, but Americans going to America.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2021, 11:23:48 AM »

🏀

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2021, 11:32:58 AM »
Brooks said the quiet part out loud.   Tiger struggled in these events.   Phil, though more gregarious, struggled in these events.   They were a disaster together at Oakland Hills.   Duval wondered what the big deal was.   Many do.  Few say it out loud.
Read bios of many American professional golfers and at some point you will see that many chose golf over other sports because they didnt want to rely on anyone else.   But for one weekend a year, they try to go against this instinct.
   I think Koepka's wrist gives him a perfect out.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2021, 11:59:17 AM »
I did. I enjoyed watching all those great competitors, and many more.

I also rooted for Usain Bolt, Nadia Comaneci, Alberto Tomba, Katarina Witt, and the Jamaican Bobsled Team.

Did you root against them and other incredible performers because, and only because, they weren't Americans?

So you’re a front runner who cheers for the favorite regardless of country. I root for the Americans whether they’re #1 or not. I feel the same way about Marquette players. You don’t?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #190 on: September 15, 2021, 12:11:31 PM »
So you’ll only root for Americans when they have a chance and aren’t a bunch of losers? 

How patriotic.

If an American played Nadal I would root for the American, it's just that this almost never happens.  Especially deep in grand slam tournaments.  But when he matches up with say Isner or another American in the draw?  I root for the American.  I miswrote replying to MU82 but he understood my point.  Apparently you did not FBM.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2021, 12:14:15 PM »
So you’re a front runner who cheers for the favorite regardless of country. I root for the Americans whether they’re #1 or not. I feel the same way about Marquette players. You don’t?

I feel these sports are a little unique. In golf and tennis, for the most part it is very individualized. They are American, but I don’t view them as representing America. I’d maybe cheer for an American all things being equal, but I like Nadal, Rory, etc., so I’d maybe root for them over an American I wasn’t as fond of.

Now when they play Ryder Cup or Davis Cup, I view that as representing America, so I’ll cheer for my country.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2021, 12:19:38 PM »
Brooks said the quiet part out loud.   Tiger struggled in these events.   Phil, though more gregarious, struggled in these events.   They were a disaster together at Oakland Hills.   Duval wondered what the big deal was.   Many do.  Few say it out loud.
Read bios of many American professional golfers and at some point you will see that many chose golf over other sports because they didnt want to rely on anyone else.   But for one weekend a year, they try to go against this instinct.
   I think Koepka's wrist gives him a perfect out.

And for a take that many in the golf community might not like...its totally fine to have that perspective and opinion.  I think the intersection of needing the best to play cause thats how qualification is and the apathy is the issue.  If they made it all Captain's picks and if you didn't want to play like Koepka or others, NBD, it would be better overall.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2021, 12:28:05 PM »
To take it one step further, for years Phil complained out loud about the Fed Ex Cup playoff format.     They tinkered with it, putting an off week in the middle, finally eliminating a tournament.    Phil wasn't alone in these complaints.    Professional golfers have kvetched about having to travel to Australia/Korea/Asia for a week for the President's cup.    It is a commitment.    For some top American golfers, this is just an inconvenient week when they would rather be doing something else.    Namely, resting and rehabbing. 
While the Euros treat it as a mission.    IMO, this explains the results of the last 3 decades.   

IMO, make the President's Cup the play-in for the Ryder cup.    Win the Ryder Cup, get a year off from this.    Let the losing side of the Ryder Cup play the International team next year to play for the Ryder Cup in two years.  If the International side wins, and then wins the Ryder Cup, you again get USA v Europe with the right to recover the Ryder cup on the line.   
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:30:47 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #194 on: September 15, 2021, 12:41:19 PM »
To take it one step further, for years Phil complained out loud about the Fed Ex Cup playoff format.     They tinkered with it, putting an off week in the middle, finally eliminating a tournament.    Phil wasn't alone in these complaints.    Professional golfers have kvetched about having to travel to Australia/Korea/Asia for a week for the President's cup.    It is a commitment.    For some top American golfers, this is just an inconvenient week when they would rather be doing something else.    Namely, resting and rehabbing. 
While the Euros treat it as a mission.    IMO, this explains the results of the last 3 decades.   

IMO, make the President's Cup the play-in for the Ryder cup.    Win the Ryder Cup, get a year off from this.    Let the losing side of the Ryder Cup play the International team next year to play for the Ryder Cup in two years.  If the International side wins, and then wins the Ryder Cup, you again get USA v Europe with the right to recover the Ryder cup on the line.   

I want the President's Cup to be a mixed gender event.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2021, 01:16:39 PM »

I root for people I enjoy watching compete. I'm genuinely surprised you're making this a test of patriotism, Tony.

If an American played Nadal I would root for the American, it's just that this almost never happens.  Especially deep in grand slam tournaments.  But when he matches up with say Isner or another American in the draw?  I root for the American.  I miswrote replying to MU82 but he understood my point.  Apparently you did not FBM.

Again, this is a silly argument/discussion/patriotism test. It's like the flag-on-the-lapel thing.

But sorry, Muggs ... based on everything you've said on the tennis board ever since you joined Scoop -- mostly, your obvious, undying love of Rafa -- I do not believe that you have rooted for Isner or other Americans when they have played Rafa in early rounds of events.

And that's cool. Isner doesn't "represent" America (except when playing in the Olympics or Davis Cup, I suppose), and Rafa doesn't "represent" non-Americans. They're just athletes. You should cheer for who you want, not feel you have some kind of patriotism test or obligation. It's nice to have freedom, no?

In something that matters -- like war, security or economic superiority -- I always root for the American. I would think that would be enough ... but apparently not.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2021, 02:48:28 PM »
I root for people I enjoy watching compete. I'm genuinely surprised you're making this a test of patriotism, Tony.

Again, this is a silly argument/discussion/patriotism test. It's like the flag-on-the-lapel thing.

But sorry, Muggs ... based on everything you've said on the tennis board ever since you joined Scoop -- mostly, your obvious, undying love of Rafa -- I do not believe that you have rooted for Isner or other Americans when they have played Rafa in early rounds of events.

And that's cool. Isner doesn't "represent" America (except when playing in the Olympics or Davis Cup, I suppose), and Rafa doesn't "represent" non-Americans. They're just athletes. You should cheer for who you want, not feel you have some kind of patriotism test or obligation. It's nice to have freedom, no?

In something that matters -- like war, security or economic superiority -- I always root for the American. I would think that would be enough ... but apparently not.

Cheebs made a good point about team play vs individual play in golf/tennis.  You should not be rooting for the Euros in the RC is all I'm saying.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #197 on: September 15, 2021, 02:50:01 PM »
Cheebs made a good point about team play vs individual play in golf/tennis.  You should not be rooting for the Euros in the RC is all I'm saying.

Why?  Half the American players could care less about representing their country

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2021, 02:54:32 PM »
Why?  Half the American players could care less about representing their country

Because it's important to be nationalistic and proud of your country despite recent debacles.  It's a team representing the USA.  There's far too much Anti-Americanism, especially in light of the myriad of assheads across the globe. 

• All American
« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2021, 02:58:59 PM »
Because it's important to be nationalistic and proud of your country despite recent debacles.  It's a team representing the USA.  There's far too much Anti-Americanism, especially in light of the myriad of assheads across the globe. 

It is important to be at least somewhat patriotic and have pride in what your country stands for.  It is terrible to be nationalistic.