[Today at 10:46:03 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Viper
[Today at 10:44:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ryder Cup  (Read 37829 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Ryder Cup
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2021, 07:49:41 PM »
Poulter is 3rd in strokes gained putting.  Sergio is still top-20 in distance off the tee and has played well the last 3 weeks. 

I get that he’s kind of a douche, but Poulter is gonna go down for me as one of the most underrated golfers of the last 20-25 years. Largely cause he doesn’t win a ton, only 3 PGA tour wins (no majors) and only 15 combined when you add in Europe over a 20 year career.  But he consistently plays damn good golf. 6 major Top 10s. You expand it to Top 25 and he has 20 of them. He was top 5 in the world for awhile for a reason.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2021, 08:03:00 PM »
Hopefully Morikawa has a strong RC.  I like your pairings but was definitely thinking Morikawa/DJ. Yes, no idea what Strick will do with Bryson.
I am bullish on Morikowa. Would love to see him paired with a big hitter in the alternate shot .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2021, 08:16:26 PM »
I am bullish on Morikowa. Would love to see him paired with a big hitter in the alternate shot .

Since winning The Open

T-26 at the FedEx St. Jude
MC Northern Trust
T-63 BMW
26th at a 30 man field

And he has a bad back
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2021, 08:27:55 PM »
Since winning The Open

T-26 at the FedEx St. Jude
MC Northern Trust
T-63 BMW
26th at a 30 man field

And he has a bad back
He will be adrenalized and get the job done
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2021, 08:31:11 PM »
He will be adrenalized and get the job done

So will Shane Lowry

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2021, 02:24:55 PM »
No surprise:  Poulter, Garcia, Lowry added to the Euro squad.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2021, 03:18:29 PM »

Europe 26 USA 2

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2021, 03:32:12 PM »
Europe 26 USA 2

Why no confidence Uncle R?  We'll be alright.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2021, 03:35:15 PM »
Why no confidence Uncle R?  We'll be alright.

Oh, I dunno, the last 30 years or so

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2021, 03:37:12 PM »
Oh, I dunno, the last 30 years or so

For 20 yrs it hasn't been great but we'll bounce back. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2021, 03:51:48 PM »
Leaving off Rose had to be a tough call
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2021, 04:19:19 PM »
In case of tie, have Reed and Rose play it off.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2021, 08:16:35 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-kxODwKATo

This is why the European team keeps winning.    It means more to them. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2021, 08:42:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-kxODwKATo

This is why the European team keeps winning.    It means more to them.

Ya....I'm not a fan of that argument and I'm sick of the negativity towards my country.  If I stepped on a track vs a cheetah, and it "meant more to me" to run faster in a 100m race, does that mean I would have any chance whatsoever of running a 4.9? 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2021, 08:52:30 PM »
Ya....I'm not a fan of that argument and I'm sick of the negativity towards my country.  If I stepped on a track vs a cheetah, and it "meant more to me" to run faster in a 100m race, does that mean I would have any chance whatsoever of running a 4.9?

Apples to oranges

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2021, 09:02:45 PM »
Apples to oranges

People generally don't win professional sporting events because they want it more or it "means more" from a perception standpoint.  I also don't think  it "means more" to the Euros.  If our guys choke on putt after putt, or vice versa, it literally has nothing to do with it meaning more/less.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2021, 09:07:44 PM »
People generally don't win professional sporting events because they want it more or it "means more" from a perception standpoint.  I also don't think  it "means more" to the Euros.  If our guys choke on putt after putt, or vice versa, it literally has nothing to do with it meaning more/less.

As Rico said, apples to oranges.

USA players aren’t willing to set their brands aside for the team. What player in the 2018 team room wasn’t bitching if asked to sit? Jordan maybe?

Euros are always committed to the Ryder Cup and the USA guys are giving it a secondary commitment at best.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2021, 09:12:19 PM »
As Rico said, apples to oranges.

USA players aren’t willing to set their brands aside for the team. What player in the 2018 team room wasn’t bitching if asked to sit? Jordan maybe?

Euros are always committed to the Ryder Cup and the USA guys are giving it a secondary commitment at best.

Most of the Euros spend the majority of their time in the USA.  I don't buy this "more committed" nonsense.  I mean seriously if we play like crap, well... then we play like crap.  All this other noise has zero to do with whether guys are playing well or spraying the ball all over the place.  We have more talent, need to get our heads out of our asses, and get the job done.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2021, 09:16:44 PM »
Most of the Euros spend the majority of their time in the USA.  I don't buy this "more committed" nonsense.  I mean seriously if we play like crap, well... then we play like crap.  All this other noise has zero to do with whether guys are playing well or spraying the ball all over the place.  We have more talent, need to get our heads out of our asses, and get the job done.

Eh, I disagree.  I do think it matters more to the Europeans.  I think it matters more to American players as they get older but youth is wasted on the young.  Tiger, Phil and David Duval didn’t prioritize the Ryder Cup.  DJ and Brooks definitely don’t, either.

Golf is an individualistic sport.  Euros being in America tend to gravitate towards one another to have a sense of familiarity.  It’s why Stricker is working hard to form a team concept right now.   

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2021, 09:18:39 PM »
Eh, I disagree.  I do think it matters more to the Europeans.  I think it matters more to American players as they get older but youth is wasted on the young.  Tiger, Phil and David Duval didn’t prioritize the Ryder Cup.  DJ and Brooks definitely don’t, either.

Golf is an individualistic sport.  Euros being in America tend to gravitate towards one another to have a sense of familiarity.  It’s why Stricker is working hard to form a team concept right now.

We'll agree to disagree Uncle R.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2021, 09:32:30 PM »

Well said.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #146 on: September 14, 2021, 05:21:40 AM »
I am on Team Rico.   The trends for the last 35 years of Ryder Cup show the Europeans consistently outperforming their rankings.   Esprit de corps is frequently talked about as a reason.    On the American side, we are talking about who can't be paired together.    Fleetwood and Molinari make a funny video.   Brooks and DJ nearly come to blows.

Muggsy, if it isn't this, how do you explain the European dominance for the last 35?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 06:32:47 AM by tower912 »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2021, 10:32:16 AM »
While I hear Muggsy on the "want it more" argument, but for me that only applies in absurdity when talking about pro athletes and their peaks.  People always loved to talk about Tebow would be an NFL success cause "he works so hard" or "he just wants it more than others"  as if every good NFL QB wasn't working hard or wanting it badly.

As for the Ryder Cup, I agree with Rico and others.  I look at it like the domestic cups in European soccer.  Talent wise, certain clubs should be in the semis or finals of the League Cup or Copa Del Rey or Pokal every year.  But for a variety of reasons (rest, priorities, league championship focus) its de-prioritized or not 100% laser focused.  Which gives much more opportunity to "lesser" clubs

Same with the Ryder Cup.  Talent wise, if all the Americans focused and treated the Ryder Cup like they did the Masters or US Open, they'd probably be overwhelming favorites/successes, but they don't.  Whereas the Euros circle it on their calendars.  Its an honor for US golfers and a fun time, but I don't think they grow up dreaming of winning Ryder Cups, not like Augusta or hoisting the Wanamaker.  I think the Euros might.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2021, 12:06:53 PM »
Quotes from Brooks. One of the few guys that could stand up and give that room direction. Instead...

Americans...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2021, 12:34:37 PM »
Quotes from Brooks. One of the few guys that could stand up and give that room direction. Instead...

Americans...

You'd think after participating in a few of these or president's cups, you could be more accustomed to the change.

Or, perhaps, they just don't want to be involved?