[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129329 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #5475 on: May 16, 2020, 09:07:11 PM »
Wisconsin has been "open" 3 days, these tests were conducted at least a day ago, more likely 2-3 days ago. They have absolutely zero to do with whether Wisconsin is open or not. Wisconsin may be on a sleigh ride to hell post SC decision but it's way too early to know that.

I think i appreciate you more every day.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5476 on: May 16, 2020, 09:09:38 PM »
Please note the data relevance of what data you are indexing to. Covid Tracking(primary media tool) is indexing to reporting date whereas the CDC is indexing to date of death.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5477 on: May 16, 2020, 09:20:57 PM »

Wisconsin has been "open" 3 days, these tests were conducted at least a day ago, more likely 2-3 days ago. They have absolutely zero to do with whether Wisconsin is open or not. Wisconsin may be on a sleigh ride to hell post SC decision but it's way too early to know that.

Affirmative. We will begin to see the impact by the end of May and into June. One way or another, it will be an interesting summer.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #5478 on: May 16, 2020, 09:22:00 PM »

Will try to be more clear. Wisconsin is opening up EVEN though cases were going up when it was closed.
To think “opening everything up will bring down cases” seems a bit optimistic to say the least.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5479 on: May 16, 2020, 09:55:01 PM »

Well said, eng. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5480 on: May 16, 2020, 09:56:50 PM »

Will try to be more clear. Wisconsin is opening up EVEN though cases were going up when it was closed.
To think “opening everything up will bring down cases” seems a bit optimistic to say the least.

Not trying to pick on you, but you are proving my point of the general lack of data literacy. A single day increase in which the data is based on when the results came back not when the tests were taken tells us nothing. Literally every outcome is possible from the data point you are quoting.

And the absolute number of cases going up isn't necessarily a problem....if we are testing more and capturing more asymptomatic then our testing number going up isn't an indicator of stuff going out of control...could be but not certain. Remember 5 days ago Milwaukee County opened up testing to everyone at two sites, this is more indicative of that than anything else.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #5481 on: May 16, 2020, 10:03:06 PM »
That would only matter if they were testing with the exact same criteria. Testing in many places now includes people that are not showing symptoms. Of course positive percentages will go down.

And basically what you are now arguing is that there previously were a bunch of undetected cases before wider testing.

Not arguing that at all.  We all know there were people with no symptoms with covid.  So those would be undetected cases.  So the idea with testing is to find the true amount of the population that has Covid all symptoms or no symptoms that will slow the spread if we can trace.
The fact remains with 3000 tests or 6000 tests we still are hitting between 6-10% positive each day so the total number of cases will increase.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5482 on: May 16, 2020, 10:07:02 PM »
Not trying to pick on you, but you are proving my point of the general lack of data literacy. A single day increase in which the data is based on when the results came back not when the tests were taken tells us nothing. Literally every outcome is possible from the data point you are quoting.

And the absolute number of cases going up isn't necessarily a problem....if we are testing more and capturing more asymptomatic then our testing number going up isn't an indicator of stuff going out of control...could be but not certain. Remember 5 days ago Milwaukee County opened up testing to everyone at two sites, this is more indicative of that than anything else.

This is true. The total cases isn't necessarily important.  But the percent of tests with positive results does seem important.  And in that regard, the percent of positive tests has risen each of the last five days. That has nothing to do with opening the bars, but the timing of the reopening seems less than ideal.

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/data.htm

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #5483 on: May 16, 2020, 10:13:52 PM »
This is true. The total cases isn't necessarily important.  But the percent of tests with positive results does seem important.  And in that regard, the percent of positive tests has risen each of the last five days. That has nothing to do with opening the bars, but the timing of the reopening seems less than ideal.

Correct it has risen the last 4 days but 5 days ago it was at the lowest point in a long time at 3.9% positive.  The past 10 days we have been between 6-8%. so things have been pretty steady with a bit of a jump today hopefully the outlier to the 3.9% we say earlier

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5484 on: May 16, 2020, 10:31:48 PM »

Right but we don't know in that date set when the tests were taken....they could have been 1 to 7 days ago(99th percentile). The all could have been take yesterday (really bad), they all could have been take 7 days ago(probably good  but not sure), they could have been taken evenly over the last 7 days (generally positive result). Because we aren't indexing to the date the test was taken you have to use a 3 or 7 day rolling average, and if you do we have a thing uptick but not notable. But at the end of the day it has nothing to do with opening up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5485 on: May 16, 2020, 11:06:32 PM »
Simple answer it is man made

Your vote for tin-foil hat rather than mask is appreciated.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #5486 on: May 16, 2020, 11:21:34 PM »
Not arguing that at all.  We all know there were people with no symptoms with covid.  So those would be undetected cases.  So the idea with testing is to find the true amount of the population that has Covid all symptoms or no symptoms that will slow the spread if we can trace.
The fact remains with 3000 tests or 6000 tests we still are hitting between 6-10% positive each day so the total number of cases will increase.

Again, if I widen the testing criteria and see that same percentage of positive tests, that isn't a good thing.

Scenario 1 - Test 100 symptomatic people - 6-10 test positive
Scenario 2 - Test 100 people, some of which are symptomatic, some aren't - 6-10 test positive

Why would those two scenarios be considered the same? I would expect that if people are saying it is a downward trend, scenario 2 would actually have a lower percentage.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5487 on: May 17, 2020, 06:58:54 AM »
Again, if I widen the testing criteria and see that same percentage of positive tests, that isn't a good thing.

Scenario 1 - Test 100 symptomatic people - 6-10 test positive
Scenario 2 - Test 100 people, some of which are symptomatic, some aren't - 6-10 test positive

Why would those two scenarios be considered the same? I would expect that if people are saying it is a downward trend, scenario 2 would actually have a lower percentage.

Is Wisconsin doing random sampling on general population?  In my area our testing has gone up a lot, but they are not testing asymptomatic unless you are a health care worker.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5488 on: May 17, 2020, 07:05:28 AM »
Is Wisconsin doing random sampling on general population?  In my area our testing has gone up a lot, but they are not testing asymptomatic unless you are a health care worker.

Depends on the location, but yes.  For instance anyone can get a test right now in Brown County regardless of symptoms.  My understanding is that the CDC advocates for this to help measure community spread.  But I believe it was only for a two week window ending this Friday.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5489 on: May 17, 2020, 07:15:07 AM »

Depends on the location, but yes.  For instance anyone can get a test right now in Brown County regardless of symptoms.  My understanding is that the CDC advocates for this to help measure community spread.  But I believe it was only for a two week window ending this Friday.

Thanks.  I should say anyone can get a test regardless of symptoms.  There is no active effort to get asymptomatic people to the testing sites (that I am aware of outside of HC).

Here is the current situation:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/cvs-opens-12-new-drive-thru-testing-sites-in-connecticut/2272130/%3famp
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 07:20:47 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5490 on: May 17, 2020, 09:10:15 AM »
Since the MLB thread seems mostly to be dealing with team- and player-specific stuff...some interesting COVID safety proposals in the MLB draft manual:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29183345/mlb-safety-proposal-includes-10000-tests-per-week-social-distancing

High-fives, fist bumps and hugs would be prohibited under the plan, as would spitting, tobacco use and chewing sunflower seeds. Fielders would be "encouraged to retreat several steps away from the baserunner'' between pitches. First- and third-base coaches are not to approach baserunners or umpires, and players should not socialize with opponents.

A ball will be thrown away after it is touched by multiple players, and throwing the ball around the infield will be discouraged. Pitchers would have their own set of balls to throw during bullpen sessions, and personnel who rub baseballs with mud for the umpires must use gloves.

--------------

Spitting, tobacco and sunflower seeds prohibited in baseball? Most players burn more calories doing that than they do throwing the ball.

And fielders retreating from baserunners between pitches? If they play with those rules, someone will set a new single-season stolen base record even if they only play 82 games....

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5491 on: May 17, 2020, 10:11:40 AM »
Since the MLB thread seems mostly to be dealing with team- and player-specific stuff...some interesting COVID safety proposals in the MLB draft manual:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29183345/mlb-safety-proposal-includes-10000-tests-per-week-social-distancing

High-fives, fist bumps and hugs would be prohibited under the plan, as would spitting, tobacco use and chewing sunflower seeds. Fielders would be "encouraged to retreat several steps away from the baserunner'' between pitches. First- and third-base coaches are not to approach baserunners or umpires, and players should not socialize with opponents.

A ball will be thrown away after it is touched by multiple players, and throwing the ball around the infield will be discouraged. Pitchers would have their own set of balls to throw during bullpen sessions, and personnel who rub baseballs with mud for the umpires must use gloves.

--------------

Spitting, tobacco and sunflower seeds prohibited in baseball? Most players burn more calories doing that than they do throwing the ball.

And fielders retreating from baserunners between pitches? If they play with those rules, someone will set a new single-season stolen base record even if they only play 82 games....

A lot of these restrictions seem kind of over the top or utterly useless.

Base coaches aren't allowed to approach runners?  They interact everyday...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5492 on: May 17, 2020, 10:58:03 AM »

I get the spirit of some of these restricitions but they seem so all over the place.

Watching the Bundesliga yesterday and today, players aren’t allowed to touch each other in celebration, other than forearm bumps...yet there is constantly jostling and battling for a position on a set piece will bring 1000x more contact than a quick embrace or whatever after a goal.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #5493 on: May 17, 2020, 11:09:05 AM »
I get the spirit of some of these restricitions but they seem so all over the place.

Watching the Bundesliga yesterday and today, players aren’t allowed to touch each other in celebration, other than forearm bumps...yet there is constantly jostling and battling for a position on a set piece will bring 1000x more contact than a quick embrace or whatever after a goal.

I was wondering why the muted celebrations.  Didn’t realize it was a rule.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5494 on: May 17, 2020, 11:19:42 AM »
The echoing is going to take some getting used to.   

Without the fans, will there be as much flopping?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:22:34 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #5495 on: May 17, 2020, 01:50:17 PM »

I do not get the restrictions at all.  The 30 second conversation they have on the bases I am sure is shorter than any conversation that goes on in between innings.

Not a chance I could play a game without spitting.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5496 on: May 17, 2020, 03:55:04 PM »

there are 3 locations in southeastern wisconsin where you can voluntarily get tested regardless if you are symptomatic, previously symptomatic or not.

waukesha expo center next to crites field, burlington, lake geneva, a couple each in racine and kenosha
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5497 on: May 17, 2020, 04:00:34 PM »
 i don't know if this has been discussed somewhere previously, but colorado just adjusted their death numbers by 25%.  no deaths are ok, but i'd rather they adjusted down than up.  unfortunately, these people still did die, but just not due to COVID-19.  the overall death numbers have been highly inaccurate on the national level as well.  i hope this is being widely reported, because there are many people who are (no pun) scared to death to go outdoors much more than their own yards

don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5498 on: May 17, 2020, 04:16:33 PM »
i don't know if this has been discussed somewhere previously, but colorado just adjusted their death numbers by 25%.  no deaths are ok, but i'd rather they adjusted down than up.  unfortunately, these people still did die, but just not due to COVID-19.  the overall death numbers have been highly inaccurate on the national level as well.  i hope this is being widely reported, because there are many people who are (no pun) scared to death to go outdoors much more than their own yards

Yep.  It's been talked about.  They've been under-reported.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5499 on: May 17, 2020, 04:24:42 PM »

If another country did what Colorado just did. Our leadership would be attacking them for manipulating their numbers and lying to the world.

We are undercounting, for political reasons, this is exactly what we have criticized other nations for.

feedback