Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Arena Name  (Read 17757 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: New Arena Name
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 02:35:08 PM »
I like that its Forum and not center or arena, so there is that
I never thought Arena was going to be in the name, I did think Center.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2018, 02:35:38 PM »
I voted for Leon's Frozen Custard Butter Pecan Palace, but I was ignored.

Just like when I voted for Scalpin' Savages as our nickname.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2018, 02:35:48 PM »
Much discussion about this at work.  Name just doesn't roll off the tongue well.   Best nickname we've come up with: "The 'Serv"    :-\

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2018, 02:37:25 PM »
I'd never heard of Fiserv until right now. So I guess that's the point. But, unless people just call it the Forum, it's a crap name.

FiServ is one of the country's leading providers of core systems processing for financial institutions. The question that must be asked is, "Who in their right mind would buy a FiServ system instead of Jack Henry, or another brand, because FiServ put their name on the side of an arena .. excuse me, Forum?

Inquiring Warriors want to know!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2018, 02:40:14 PM »
It will always be the Chaluparena to me.

Yup, Chaluparena it is.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »
That's...the name. I heard months ago that it would be Fiserv. Of all the options, it's probably the least inspiring. Any nickname ideas?

Well, here in Cleveland, we refer to ours as "the Q".  The initial for Fiserv creates some interesting possibilities.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2018, 02:47:57 PM »
The Big F.

When we go undefeated at home this season, after every win we can say, "We F'd 'em again!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2018, 02:50:06 PM »
Anyone know what the terms are?  Feel like the asking price almost had to go down.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2018, 02:50:23 PM »
The Fin Forum
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »
Time to fire up the Scoop autocorrect.  Fiserv = Chaluparena. 

That is all.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2018, 03:31:50 PM »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2018, 03:45:55 PM »
Being a career banker, I've known the Fiserv product line for 30+ years.  They truly are the industry leader and revolutionized banking software.  I saw their desktop 'point and click' product introduced at Continental Bank about 1988.  I think at the time we were the first money center customer.  Prior to that, all banking software was developed in-house (and was really bad).  Of course not a consumer brand at all but it is nice to see an important local company step up big time. 

It is interesting that no dollar figure was attached to the 25 year deal.

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2018, 03:48:56 PM »
Money Pit!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2018, 04:28:07 PM »
Being a career banker, I've known the Fiserv product line for 30+ years.  They truly are the industry leader and revolutionized banking software.  I saw their desktop 'point and click' product introduced at Continental Bank about 1988.  I think at the time we were the first money center customer.  Prior to that, all banking software was developed in-house (and was really bad).  Of course not a consumer brand at all but it is nice to see an important local company step up big time. 

It is interesting that no dollar figure was attached to the 25 year deal.
It is nice to see a good local company step up especially as it really does not help them monetarily other than perhaps getting good personnel who are attracted by the coolness of the situation.  I too know the Fiserv line even going back to its early predecessor days in the 70s  at Midland National Bank with the late co-founder George Dalton who I met many times.  A truly unique individual and kind person who is probably smiling from above.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2018, 04:44:48 PM »
Miller and Coors seem to work. Great American is good.

Oooohhh 10 years though.

+1
Busch Stadium
Ford Field

Some corporate names work, especially in all these examples where the companies/products are readily identified with the given city
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:50:21 PM by Coleman »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2018, 04:47:03 PM »
FiServ is one of the country's leading providers of core systems processing for financial institutions. The question that must be asked is, "Who in their right mind would buy a FiServ system instead of Jack Henry, or another brand, because FiServ put their name on the side of an arena .. excuse me, Forum?

Inquiring Warriors want to know!

This was my first thought as well. Seems like kind of a dumb investment for Fiserv. They aren't selling to consumers.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2018, 04:49:09 PM »
Little Cesar’s Arena. Everyone calls it LCA which works just fine
Bring back FFP!!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2018, 04:50:37 PM »
The Fed Ex Forum in Memphis is already referred to as "The Forum."  As was The Forum in LA.

People do realize the Bucks didn't just come up with the name "Fiserv Arena" for the fun of it, right?  It's about one thing and one thing only, money.  It doesn't matter how cool or inspiring it sounds.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:53:14 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GOO

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2018, 04:51:28 PM »
For me it will always be called Marquette's Arena at least until Marquette no longer plays there.   

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »
The Fed Ex Forum in Memphis is already referred to as "The Forum."  As was The Forum in LA.

People do realize the Bucks didn't just come up with the name "Fiserv Arena" for the fun of it, right?  It's about one thing and one thing only, money.  It doesn't matter how cool or inspiring it sounds.
Yup, the Bucks need an ongoing cash flow to fund Forum maintenance as required by its agreement with the WESC.  Suspect that they were hoping for more than Fiserv has agreed to pay.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2018, 05:05:10 PM »
+1
Busch Stadium
Ford Field

Some corporate names work, especially in all these examples where the companies/products are readily identified with the given city

Perhaps not coincidentally, it seems like the corporate names that tend to work often are based upon surnames:  Adolphus Busch; Henry Ford; Frederick Miller; Adolph Coors
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2018, 05:11:45 PM »
Perhaps not coincidentally, it seems like the corporate names that tend to work often are based upon surnames:  Adolphus Busch; Henry Ford; Frederick Miller; Adolph Coors
Also, these are consumer based concerns.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »
Miller and Coors seem to work. Great American is good.

Oooohhh 10 years though.

Did you know that Great American is a specialty commercial insurance company, not just a patriotic name for a stadium?  (Not singling you out PTM).

Another B2B financial services company with naming rights that dont really make sense,  other than being a Cincinnati based company.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2018, 05:33:24 PM »
Also, these are consumer based concerns.

That’s why Fiserv seems unusual as the sponsor. I could have seen Harley-Davidson, Northwestern Mutual or even SC Johnson (Racine - close enough).

Now that I think of it, SC Johnson would have been awesome - The Big Johnson!

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2018, 06:16:53 PM »
College basketball fans include a lot of corporate types. Think CEOs, VPs, bankers, IT directors. Who else do you think buys all those courtside seats and luxury boxes? Plus, the sponsorship gives them TV exposure to similar audiences in major metropolitan areas (New York, New Jersey, Chicago) that are home to regional and national financial companies.

True, Fiserv may not mean much to the average fan. But the company most likely sees it as a strategic marketing investment to keep their name in front of influencers and decision-makers. And it shows support for the Milwaukee community.

As for the name itself, I'm fine with Fiserv Forum. Short, clear and simple. While it may not be as relatable as Miller Park, it's a vast improvement over BMO Harris Bradley Center IMO.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words