'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]Shayok commits to Marquette, bigs still on the radar  (Read 17658 times)

Markusquette

• All American
Re: [PaintTouches]Shayok commits to Marquette, bigs still on the radar
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »
I guess we can expect Jahlil Okafor or Myles Turner to commit any day now then huh?

No.

I didn't either, but the only slight idea was some talk Stone might be coming or something.  But yes, esard2011, that's exactly what I expected.  Actually both of them committing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2013, 07:33:35 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he didn't search through all your posts.  He probably went to your posts, went back to the beginning, and started reading there.  It wouldn't have taken long to get to your third post.  In fact, I just did the same thing to see how long it would take (less than 30 seconds) and realized that maybe brewcity77 was a little generous.  Your second post on scoop (three days earlier): "Getting Killed underneath. Barro is useless. Abysmal shooting. Remind anybody of MSU last year. This is atrocious."  I think that could fairly be characterized as "bitching about bigs."

At least your first post, "WHAT A JOKE!" was positive...or not.

Interesting. In the center-less years between Barro and Oxtule, I was pining for a center as good as Barro!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2013, 07:40:37 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he didn't search through all your posts.  He probably went to your posts, went back to the beginning, and started reading there.  It wouldn't have taken long to get to your third post.  In fact, I just did the same thing to see how long it would take (less than 30 seconds) and realized that maybe brewcity77 was a little generous.  Your second post on scoop (three days earlier): "Getting Killed underneath. Barro is useless. Abysmal shooting. Remind anybody of MSU last year. This is atrocious."  I think that could fairly be characterized as "bitching about bigs."

At least your first post, "WHAT A JOKE!" was positive...or not.
Ah yes-- a blast from the past. Ousmane Barro--now there was another great big. I believe he was one of Crean's studs. I also remember the MSU game in the tourney--what did we have--8 points at the half.
Maybe you should look about 2010-11 when we had an 18 point led at Louisville with about 9 minutes left and blew that. The Louisville meltdown. By the way, I had many posts prior to those under another name--so take the time to search that also.
Believe me, I won't waste time to look up your posts.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2013, 08:52:51 PM »
Bigs still on the radar.....

That is going to be the name of my new band.   Describes MU perfectly for much of the last 25 years (with some exceptions)

Why is that?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2013, 11:03:38 PM »
Why is that?

I think schools get labeled.  Penn State is linebacker U.  MU is guards oriented.  UW-madison is mostly white, tall dudes.  Purdue is a QB school.  GTown with bigs.  I'm generalizing like crazy, but there is some perception to it for a reason.

I've always been a little surprised by it because our front lines in the 1970's were tall for that era, at least that was my impression.  Somewhere it seems that we stopped getting quality bigs.  I assume because there just aren't that many out there and they tend to go

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2013, 11:42:50 PM »
I think schools get labeled.  Penn State is linebacker U.  MU is guards oriented.  UW-madison is mostly white, tall dudes.  Purdue is a QB school.  GTown with bigs.  I'm generalizing like crazy, but there is some perception to it for a reason.

I've always been a little surprised by it because our front lines in the 1970's were tall for that era, at least that was my impression.  Somewhere it seems that we stopped getting quality bigs.  I assume because there just aren't that many out there and they tend to go

I mean, I kinda really like are bigs this year. But I guess youre right, this would probably be labeled as an exception.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2013, 07:52:12 AM »
You must have lots of time on your hands to search back 5 years to see what I said. Sad to say that I would not waste the same amount of time on you. Hope you have fun reading about 2000 plus posts. Sounds like a bureaucrat.

Dude, you got pwned, and that's your comeback?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2013, 09:18:29 AM »
I mean, I kinda really like are bigs this year. But I guess youre right, this would probably be labeled as an exception.

It's no exception. The exception was the Tom Crean Era. Had some good bigs before. Then Tom came and he got a good one for a year (Bob Jackson), a decent one (Oose), and nothing else. Buzz just needed some time to turn his project into bigs. I have a feeling next year will be the one year we see Buzz without a really quality big man banging down low.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2013, 09:48:52 AM »
It's no exception. The exception was the Tom Crean Era. Had some good bigs before. Then Tom came and he got a good one for a year (Bob Jackson), a decent one (Oose), and nothing else. Buzz just needed some time to turn his project into bigs. I have a feeling next year will be the one year we see Buzz without a really quality big man banging down low.

Doesn't Crean's first recruit, Scott Merritt deserve to be called "a decent one".
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2013, 10:09:02 AM »
Doesn't Crean's first recruit, Scott Merritt deserve to be called "a decent one".

He was a 4, but he was decent.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »

Let me help you:  The end of the Al McGuire era.  Thankfully we have a coach now who has us looking more and more like Al's teams talent (and result)-wise.  I suspect this success will eventually help us land some premier bigs - especially if Gardner has a break out year, and even Otule - given the likelihood of another Sweet 16+ type of season this year.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »
I think a bunch of us forgot about Jiimmy Mac.  One of the best all around bigs in MU history.

Oh, and Lloyd Moore.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2013, 10:48:46 AM »

We had the pick of the litter until Al left. The first sign of trouble was when we missed on Bowie. When Downing signed with DePaul, despite Majerus' full court press, we knew the worm had turned.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2013, 11:43:59 AM »
Let me help you:  The end of the Al McGuire era.  Thankfully we have a coach now who has us looking more and more like Al's teams talent (and result)-wise.  I suspect this success will eventually help us land some premier bigs - especially if Gardner has a break out year, and even Otule - given the likelihood of another Sweet 16+ type of season this year.

Yeah, but it is frustrating that we have so much PT available for 2014 and beyond and can't get anyone to bite.  Hopefully it will be Pierce.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »
Interesting. In the center-less years between Barro and Oxtule, I was pining for a center as good as Barro!
Pretty pathetic that people are now labeling Barro as good.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2013, 12:48:40 PM »

Yeah, but it is frustrating that we have so much PT available for 2014 and beyond and can't get anyone to bite.  Hopefully it will be Pierce.

Completely agree..extremely frustrating as I'm sure it is to Buzz and staff.  We even have DG to point to as how a big evolves and gets involved in the MU offense - and you'd think we could put to rest an assumed objection from bigs as to MU being a guard/wing school...I'm sure other coaches pound that message into big men recruits heads when going up against MU for a big.

Could really see Diamond Stone being a defining recruit for Buzz and the MU program - land him and we are totally on the way....he goes elsewhere and I suspect Buzz might begin to question his ability to compete at the highest level at MU.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2013, 01:32:11 PM »
Completely agree..extremely frustrating as I'm sure it is to Buzz and staff.  We even have DG to point to as how a big evolves and gets involved in the MU offense - and you'd think we could put to rest an assumed objection from bigs as to MU being a guard/wing school...I'm sure other coaches pound that message into big men recruits heads when going up against MU for a big.

Could really see Diamond Stone being a defining recruit for Buzz and the MU program - land him and we are totally on the way....he goes elsewhere and I suspect Buzz might begin to question his ability to compete at the highest level at MU.

His 2 straight Sweet 16s along with an Elite Eight and a conference championship in the best conference ever assembles would disagree with him then.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2013, 02:47:28 PM »
I do not know if this actually plays into a recruits decision, but I could see how it can and therefore I believe it has been a big detriment to MU recruiting a power forward. Tory Miller and other players like him may want to play power forward and they can project being stuck at center if they come to MU, because MU does not have a big center. Somewhat the problem McKay was upset about. Getting a commitment from Stone would increase the chance of getting a commitment from a true 4 who wants to play the 4. Without a good center 4's are going to stay away.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2013, 03:04:04 PM »
You must have lots of time on your hands to search back 5 years to see what I said. Sad to say that I would not waste the same amount of time on you. Hope you have fun reading about 2000 plus posts. Sounds like a bureaucrat.

It took less than 30 seconds. Time to brush up on your Internets skillz.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2013, 03:48:58 PM »
I think a bunch of us forgot about Jiimmy Mac.  One of the best all around bigs in MU history.

Oh, and Lloyd Moore.

Sigh, if only Lloyd Moore's legs hadn't betrayed him.

One of the best all around bigs in MU history.

But only the second best all around big during all four of his years here.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:51:50 PM by LittleMurs »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

deep vacuum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »
What would be the harm in having an incoming Otule, Barro type every year?  Would a 1-2 star center benefit MU as much as having a some 6'-8" 4 star switchable?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2013, 05:13:06 PM »
What would be the harm in having an incoming Otule, Barro type every year?  Would a 1-2 star center benefit MU as much as having a some 6'-8" 4 star switchable?

There are many here who agree with you.  Buzz has been here so long that many don't realize that Otule's offer was Crean's decision.  Clearly Buzz is happy to have Chris now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »

I'm on board with that. Get even one 2-star every 2 years and you should always have one junior or senior big. Guys like Dwight Burke and Chris Otule have been very valuable despite not being highly acclaimed coming in.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2013, 06:47:30 PM »
This is why I was so enthused about Durley a year ago.    A big body who would have gotten a year with Todd and a year to play against Chris and Gardner before anything was required of him.    Ah, well.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
There are many here who agree with you.  Buzz has been here so long that many don't realize that Otule's offer was Crean's decision.  Clearly Buzz is happy to have Chris now.
In the end it was Crean's decision, but the high school coach who knew Buzz called him about Otule. Buzz recommended him to Crean.

feedback