[Today at 06:34:41 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Central Arkansas thoughts  (Read 20420 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Central Arkansas thoughts
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2019, 02:00:40 PM »
In general, Wojo has used Symir just about right, IMHO.

Excited about Symir's future, including the rest of this season.

Hoping we see more Purdue-level Koby (or at least close to it) during BEast play.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2019, 02:01:23 PM »
The team leader in assists hasn't shown much PG capabilities.....uhm, ok.

*Second highest turnover percentage on the team.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2019, 02:04:55 PM »
A quote is a quote

You took it out of context. No one was saying that Koby shouldn’t  play. panda said as much.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2019, 03:25:42 PM »

Which is often the case for PGs to be up there in turnover % because they have the ball in their hands the most.  There are exceptions, of course.

Should Symir play more instead of Howard, since Howard has the highest turnover % by a lot and often when he is playing in the PG position?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

panda

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2019, 03:49:25 PM »
Which is often the case for PGs to be up there in turnover % because they have the ball in their hands the most.  There are exceptions, of course.

Should Symir play more instead of Howard, since Howard has the highest turnover % by a lot and often when he is playing in the PG position?

Where’d you pull that Markus stat from?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2019, 04:04:43 PM »

#fakenews

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2019, 04:23:28 PM »
#fakenews

Derrick Wilson and Todd Mayo were 2nd and 3rd highest turnovers for Buzz
Junior Cadoughan was 1st in turnovers his senior season, Vander Blue 2nd
Junior was highest in turnovers his junior year, DJO was second, Vander 3rd
Dwight Buycks highest in turnovers his senior year, DJO second
DJO tied for worst his first year at MU
DJ second highest TOs trailing only McNeal his freshmen, sophomore and junior years
Travis Diener 2nd in turnovers his junior and senior years
Cordell Henry 2nd in turnovers his senior year

Etc

PGs have the ball in their hands the most, the backup PGs have it plenty as well.  More opportunities for turnovers as a result.  Exceptions exist. 

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2019, 04:26:54 PM »
Where’d you pull that Markus stat from?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/marquette/2020.html

Markus averaging 3.5 turnovers per game, highest on the team.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2019, 04:38:25 PM »

Markus averaging 3.5 turnovers per game, highest on the team.

You said Markus had the highest turnover %. He does not.

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2019, 04:43:14 PM »
#fakenews

He's right that point guards have a higher turnover percentage then other players do.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2019, 04:44:46 PM »
You said Markus had the highest turnover %. He does not.

I was using the following...highest turnovers per game (3.5), per 100 possessionS (6.3) and per 40 minutes (4.6) he does.

If there is a different stat, happy to acknowledge...just not aware of what you might be referencing.  That was the turnover % I was referencing.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2019, 04:50:09 PM »
To borrow a cliche from last year, the strength of this team is the team.   Hopefully, it holds up better than last year.

Maybe just the last 6.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2019, 04:53:34 PM »
I was using the following...highest turnovers per game (3.5), per 100 possessionS (6.3) and per 40 minutes (4.6) he does.

If there is a different stat, happy to acknowledge...just not aware of what you might be referencing.  That was the turnover % I was referencing.

There is a stat called turnover percentage...and that's why you were wrong.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2019, 05:04:21 PM »

There is a stat called turnover percentage...and that's why you were wrong.

fair enough.  I was wrong, I'll rephrase to say Howard has the highest turnovers per game, per 100 possessions, per 40 minutes of anyone on the team.  Not sure if that is deemed a turnover rate or something else.  Not sure how turnover % would be calculated, I suppose for every opportunity one touches the ball...yes?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2019, 05:06:31 PM »

Can you tell me where you got your stat?  Thanks

I found an advanced stats on turnover % and Koby is actually third, not second.  Some guy named Symir is actually 2nd.   8-)  Ed Morrow is first.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2019, 05:14:56 PM »
fair enough.  I was wrong, I'll rephrase to say Howard has the highest turnovers per game, per 100 possessions, per 40 minutes of anyone on the team.  Not sure if that is deemed a turnover rate or something else.  Not sure how turnover % would be calculated, I suppose for every opportunity one touches the ball...yes?

I believe it’s number of turnovers per possessions used. It’s based on usage. Since Markus has a high usage, the raw turnovers may be higher, but you are less likely to have a turnover in a Markus possession than a player with lower usage.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2019, 05:30:48 PM »

Markus has the lowest turnover rate of guards on the team.

Markus 16.9%
Sacar 19.6%
Symir 24.2%
Elliott 24.3%
McEwen 25.1%

The only players with a lower turnover rate on the team than Markus are Bailey & Theo.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2019, 05:30:55 PM »
I believe it’s number of turnovers per possessions used. It’s based on usage. Since Markus has a high usage, the raw turnovers may be higher, but you are less likely to have a turnover in a Markus possession than a player with lower usage.

Interesting because according to that site, the highest turnovers per 100 possession is also Markus.  I did scroll to the bottom and they had an advanced stats that included turnover %, that has him much lower which I can only guess is ball touches within a possession potentially?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2019, 05:34:02 PM »
Usage rate is determined by possessions that end with your actions. A made shot, missed shot that is rebounded by the other team, or turning the ball over would all count towards usage, which is the basis of turnover rate.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2019, 05:34:29 PM »
Markus has the lowest turnover rate of guards on the team.

Markus 16.9%
Sacar 19.6%
Symir 24.2%
Elliott 24.3%
McEwen 25.1%

The only players with a lower turnover rate on the team than Markus are Bailey & Theo.

scroll down to the bottom of link below...similar numbers, not exactly the same...but ballparkish...is this what you are referencing or a different source?  It has Symir as 2nd worst on team, worst guard.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2019, 05:48:51 PM »
Imagine that, another scoop thread devolved into a crap show.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2019, 06:03:00 PM »
scroll down to the bottom of link below...similar numbers, not exactly the same...but ballparkish...is this what you are referencing or a different source?  It has Symir as 2nd worst on team, worst guard.

From Pomeroy.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2019, 06:37:28 PM »
From Pomeroy.

Thanks.  It is interesting the two sites are close, but enough differences to show up.  The other site has Symir at 25.2% turnover rate and McEwen in the 23's.  KenPom something a bit different.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2019, 06:58:49 PM »
The formula for TO% is: TO/(FGA-OR+TO+0.475xFTA)

Guards are always going to have higher tpg, to per 40, and to per 100 possessions because of the nature of the position. TO% is the best way to determine if an individual player is turning the ball over too much.

If anyone is curious here are those numbers for our team from most to least TO prone (numbers per KenPom).

Morrow 27.8%
McEwen 25.1%
Elliott 24.3%
Torrence 24.2%
Johnson 21.0%
Anim 19.6%
Cain 18.3%
Howard: 16.9%
John 15.2%
Bailey 11.3%
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2019, 07:00:12 PM »