[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shooting the lights out!  (Read 7166 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Shooting the lights out!
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2019, 06:33:20 PM »
And furthermore ... this thread isn't about the effen Hausers.

How 'bout that 3-point shooting?!?!

It's only about a third through the season, but feeling pretty good about this post now:

In theory, the shooting is already here. Anim shot 39.1% last year, McEwen shot 36% in two years at USU, Cain & Elliott both showed promise as freshmen, and Bailey shot 42.1% over the last 6 games. If we can put 2-3 guys alongside Howard that at least need to be respected at the arc, we should be okay.

But that is, admittedly, hoping for sustained success from guys who've mostly only done it in small sample sizes or with low usage.

I never imagined it would play out to having the best three-point shooting team in the nation at the New Year, but the pieces were in place ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 06:43:51 PM »
It's only about a third through the season, but feeling pretty good about this post now:

I never imagined it would play out to having the best three-point shooting team in the nation at the New Year, but the pieces were in place ;)

You da man!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2019, 07:03:41 PM »
Yikes, I see I violated the company line. Out of a desire to avoid yet another thread about the Hausers, I will leave it at that.

But I will say that my post disagreed with Sand Knit. I usually find that if I'm disagreeing with sand knit, I am in the right.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2019, 07:46:19 PM »
Sam, for sure.
Joey ... not so sure. I kind of like the length, defense and athleticism we have with Brendan and Jamal on the court instead.

You can be sure. Crazy that people don’t understand how good Joey is.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2019, 08:59:26 PM »
Completely 100% disagree. I enjoy watching this years team much better than last years team with better athletes, higher intensity, more team chemistry and more entertaining basketball.  The fact that MU is potentially better than last years team or what this years team would have been with the Hauser's, makes the transfers all the better for Marquette.  Also, as others have stated, if the Hauser's had stayed, others were going to leave and not only would this years team be worse, it would have very likely been significantly worse.  Nice to see something that at that the time seemed a huge negative for Marquette, turn out to actually be a positive.  Lastly, them leaving has obviously not hurt recruiting  and has potentially helped it.  Imagine someone wanting to play with Joey Hauser as a teammate.  I do not think we get all three recruits that have signed if Joey had stayed.

Haha u sound like me 9 months ago
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2019, 11:15:10 AM »
Marquette's three-point shooting to date has been far better than anyone could have expected. After averaging 38.8% last season (12th nationally), I thought a drop to around 36% was reasonable -- still well above the national average. I didn't foresee a scenario where MU's percentage from beyond the arc would actually improve.

As one of the major offseason question marks, that's a huge plus.

Two-point shooting is a mystery to me. It seems to mostly come down to two players -- Markus and Koby -- who are both converting at career low rates inside the arc:

Markus
2019-20: 39.1%
Career: 46.5%

Koby
2019-20: 31.6%
Career: 46.8%

Markus is first on the team in two-point attempts (92). Koby is fourth (38). I'm not too alarmed about this. Over the course of multiple seasons and hundreds of shots, Markus and Koby have proven that they can convert at a good percentage. I chalk up the falloff to small sample size and playing with new teammates. Beyond that, MU is getting to the line at an incredible rate.

Turnovers remain my single biggest concern for the rest of the season. Of teams KenPom ranks in the Top 25, only three turn the ball over at a higher rate than Marquette:

#2 Kansas  20.1% (201st)
#3 Ohio St.  20.2% (208th)
#17 W. Virginia  20.0% (204th)

MU also currently owns the third-worst turnover percentage in the Big East, ahead of only Georgetown and DePaul. That's not exactly encouraging.

If MU is going to have any chance to earn a Big East title and a high seed (4 or better) in the tournament, I don't think they can afford to give away so many empty possessions.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2019, 11:39:20 AM »
This is definitely anecdotal, but I wonder how many of Howard's misses are drives where he expected to get a foul. I feel like he often will go in seeking contact and it often leads to poor shots when he doesn't get the call. As he's literally the best player in the country in terms of fouls drawn/40 minutes, and the only sub-6' player in the top-25, I don't blame him, but it feels like there are quite a few unanswered prayers he's thrown up while going into contact that neither God nor zebra acknowledged.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2019, 01:45:23 PM »
This is definitely anecdotal, but I wonder how many of Howard's misses are drives where he expected to get a foul. I feel like he often will go in seeking contact and it often leads to poor shots when he doesn't get the call. As he's literally the best player in the country in terms of fouls drawn/40 minutes, and the only sub-6' player in the top-25, I don't blame him, but it feels like there are quite a few unanswered prayers he's thrown up while going into contact that neither God nor zebra acknowledged.

Agree with all of this. Not sure how much I want him to change about it, though. Maybe go in with a little more control, not assuming he'll draw a foul. But I still want him to drive, still want him to draw contact, so maybe we have to take the little bit of bad with all the good he does.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2019, 04:29:23 PM »
Haha u sound like me 9 months ago

I think many people felt this way 9 months ago, but didn't necessarily post their thoughts.  For me personally I very rarely post, but it just amazes me that there are people that are not happy with the makeup of this team and think that we would be better with the Hausers, even knowing we would have lost other players to transfer.  Losing Joey helped the team Chemistry tremendously and that is a huge part of a teams success. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2019, 05:37:26 PM »
You can be sure. Crazy that people don’t understand how good Joey is.

Joey has outstanding basketball skills. Shooting, passing, rebounding, etc.

But I am glad he is gone for 2 reasons. Lack of athleticism and attitude.

I don't think the first is enough to offset the second.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2019, 05:59:28 PM »
Joey has outstanding basketball skills. Shooting, passing, rebounding, etc.

But I am glad he is gone for 2 reasons. Lack of athleticism and attitude.

I don't think the first is enough to offset the second.

Let's settle this objectively via ValueAdd.  Sam is a lot harder to replace than Joey.  It takes a village (and it's working so far) to replace both.  Oakland A's Moneyball, people.

http://valueaddbasketball.com/

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2019, 06:03:59 PM »
Let's settle this objectively via ValueAdd.  Sam is a lot harder to replace than Joey.  It takes a village (and it's working so far) to replace both.  Oakland A's Moneyball, people.

http://valueaddbasketball.com/

Sam was going to be a senior. Joey aub his second year of competition. That’s where the big diff is. We shall see...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2019, 06:07:57 PM »
Sam was going to be a senior. Joey aub his second year of competition. That’s where the big diff is. We shall see...

I agree. But, Joey's biggest blocker for Value Add was Sam, not Markus. The family finally realized that after 9 weeks in limbo.  Both will be stars elsewhere, but Wojo needs to replace these two. So far so good. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2019, 06:10:13 PM »

Are you pro Joey or pro Dawson?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2019, 06:45:32 PM »
Are you pro Joey or pro Dawson?

Love them both