'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8667204 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 3/15/21
« Reply #28550 on: March 31, 2021, 05:02:39 PM »
Goose

Remember the pearl clutchers who opined that firing Wojo because it would mean a long and painful rebuild?

Turned out it was the only way to avoid one.
Might want to pump the brakes until we see how next season's roster shakes out.  Either way, I'm fully on board, but I have no problem if Shaka wants to make sure the right guys are on his roster.  If that means a rough year 1 for him, so be it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28551 on: March 31, 2021, 05:08:08 PM »
Lenny

I agree. This is not going to be a rebuild, but rather a retooling. There are guys I hope Shaka wants/keeps, notably DJ, and trust whatever holes need to be filled, will be filled by athletic basketball players. I love watching the names being shared on here and believe there are a lot more players not be being mentioned that may be in the mix for MU next season. With Shaka's recruiting chops, this could be his easiest offseason/recruiting season of his career.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28552 on: March 31, 2021, 05:12:40 PM »
Might want to pump the brakes until we see how next season's roster shakes out.  Either way, I'm fully on board, but I have no problem if Shaka wants to make sure the right guys are on his roster.  If that means a rough year 1 for him, so be it.

Lazar

It’s possible next year is rough, though I don’t think it’s likely. If Wojo stayed, it was (imo) a sure thing. The only question would have been how rough.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28553 on: March 31, 2021, 05:13:01 PM »
Given taht he is trying to recruit players to Marquette and said "let's get to work" with Shaka, I would think that is a logical conclusion. Do you have info to the contrary?

Jake, I am effen thrilled that DJ appears to be coming back. I think he has BE POY potential.

I will say I’m a little leery of assuming anything till we hear the words from DJ himself.

I follow Marquette’s comings and goings and speculation through all y’all here, and I always appreciate the info.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28554 on: March 31, 2021, 05:55:37 PM »
Tap the brakes.   I am excited about Shaka.  Far more than I ever was with Wojo.   But it isn't fair to him to assume he walks on water and cures the lame.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #28555 on: March 31, 2021, 06:17:36 PM »
Tap the brakes.   I am excited about Shaka.  Far more than I ever was with Wojo.   But it isn't fair to him to assume he walks on water and cures the lame.

Temper expectations until an actual roster is fielded.  Then Let's see if the additions Shaka brings in are players that negate our weaknesses such as ball handling, shooting, creating an open shot, dribble drive penetration, offensive flow, etc.  That'd be a great start to the Shaka era.   Until that happens, you can't predict anything.  Coaches first years aren't usually anything to write home about in terms of postseason success.  It's years 3 and 4 where you see their style take hold. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #28556 on: March 31, 2021, 07:28:49 PM »
Never hoped the 70s guys like Goose, Lenny and Keefe were right more than I do now.  They were ultimately right on Wojo not being the guy early on in his tenure which gives them a ton of credibility in my book.  But the absolute certainty that they speak of Shaka as a home run hire is stunning.  Again, hope you guys are dead on with your assessment.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28557 on: March 31, 2021, 08:23:51 PM »
Shooter

First off, I wish I had been wrong on Wojo and I was not negative just to be negative regarding Wojo. I truthfully felt badly with my fools gold comments bursting bubbles during the mini run Wojo had a couple of seasons ago. I am not the biggest or most in the know fan on Scoop, but I try to take emotion out of my comments. I hated, hated, hated being a negative poster in regards to Wojo/program and I wish I had not been so vocal at times. Keep in mind, like an idiot, I have followed many MU games from the other side of the world and always wanted us to win.

As for optimism moving forward, I know two things that I believe in college basketball, shooters should shoot and recruiters should recruit. Both skillsets are in their DNA. Shaka may fail to meet some expectations on here and that is a discussion to be had down the road and that is fair. Shaka as a recruiter and his ability to the right ship is not a five year window, IMO. his recruiting and a real HC resume raises the bar in far faster order than hiring an assistant coach.

My level of excitement about the program is growing by the day and I am again taking emotion of the mix. Shaka is a proven HC, A+ recruiter, local guy, experienced, young high energy guy and that sounds like a winner to me. I am not going to comment on every win or lose next season and I expect there may be hiccups, but hiccups at much higher level than MU has seen in a long time.

Lastly, and I say say this with a fair amount of experience, I believe Marquette basketball has their best chance for a long run of showing folks we are a basketball school than any time in decades. We have had good and bad hires since Al, but none with the resume of Shaka. My bar is set high and I am hoping Shaka knocks it out of the park.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28558 on: March 31, 2021, 08:41:14 PM »
Goose, I'm with you. Aside from Smart's resume', he exudes confidence and excitement and genuinely has a program and a plan that is built for success. Haven't been this pumped about Marquette basketball and its future in literally a couple decades. I am very confident that Shaka is the right man, at the right time, to make MU hoops great again, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28559 on: March 31, 2021, 08:52:21 PM »
+1000 Goose, well stated.  Shaka is the right coach at the right time for this program. Big time hire.

Shooter

First off, I wish I had been wrong on Wojo and I was not negative just to be negative regarding Wojo. I truthfully felt badly with my fools gold comments bursting bubbles during the mini run Wojo had a couple of seasons ago. I am not the biggest or most in the know fan on Scoop, but I try to take emotion out of my comments. I hated, hated, hated being a negative poster in regards to Wojo/program and I wish I had not been so vocal at times. Keep in mind, like an idiot, I have followed many MU games from the other side of the world and always wanted us to win.

As for optimism moving forward, I know two things that I believe in college basketball, shooters should shoot and recruiters should recruit. Both skillsets are in their DNA. Shaka may fail to meet some expectations on here and that is a discussion to be had down the road and that is fair. Shaka as a recruiter and his ability to the right ship is not a five year window, IMO. his recruiting and a real HC resume raises the bar in far faster order than hiring an assistant coach.

My level of excitement about the program is growing by the day and I am again taking emotion of the mix. Shaka is a proven HC, A+ recruiter, local guy, experienced, young high energy guy and that sounds like a winner to me. I am not going to comment on every win or lose next season and I expect there may be hiccups, but hiccups at much higher level than MU has seen in a long time.

Lastly, and I say say this with a fair amount of experience, I believe Marquette basketball has their best chance for a long run of showing folks we are a basketball school than any time in decades. We have had good and bad hires since Al, but none with the resume of Shaka. My bar is set high and I am hoping Shaka knocks it out of the park.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28560 on: March 31, 2021, 08:53:43 PM »
May goose be right
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #28561 on: March 31, 2021, 08:55:32 PM »
Love the optimism fellas!  I’m hoping a long run of great basketball is coming our way too.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #28562 on: March 31, 2021, 09:02:47 PM »
Shaka has 12 seasons of coaching experience and 272 wins coming into the MU Job. As Mr. Scholl pointed out he is the first coach MU hired that has already made it to the Final Four. Shaka worked his way up from the bottom and had very good assistant experience prior to being a head coach. MU is now his third job.  Shaka is a coach in the prime of his career right now and he is with us now at MU. He is near his family so there is a level of commitment there. MU is fortunate this has all worked out the way it did.

With the one time transfer exception this year and with Shaka's strength in recruiting , MU does not have endure a 7 year Dodd's style "rebuilds are bitch" mode. We can back in the game this coming season.

The Big East is poised for a good run, as most of the teams were young this year. MU can be at the top of a strong league now with the recruits Shaka can bring to the table. We can have a roster full of Big East quality players. Not just one or two quality guys surrounded by mid major talent.   Appropriate  roster translates to conference success which means good seeding and longer tournament runs.

College Sports are about talent differentials. With Shaka we can be on the correct side of that circumstance.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #28563 on: March 31, 2021, 09:38:02 PM »
I a, feeling good about the program now as well.   Isn’t Shaka the most experienced head coach we have had?   I’m feeling like the rebuild will be fast.   And I’m praying we keep our guys on the team from last year and bring I the right guys too. Go Marquette!  My MU flag is flying in my yard again!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #28564 on: March 31, 2021, 10:17:42 PM »
Jake, I am effen thrilled that DJ appears to be coming back. I think he has BE POY potential.

I will say I’m a little leery of assuming anything till we hear the words from DJ himself.

I follow Marquette’s comings and goings and speculation through all y’all here, and I always appreciate the info.

I mean, someone tweeted to his mom "glad DJ is returning" and she agreed. I'd say that's pretty solid
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28565 on: March 31, 2021, 10:36:52 PM »
I mean, someone tweeted to his mom "glad DJ is returning" and she agreed. I'd say that's pretty solid

Was that posted earlier? If so, I missed it. Thanks for relaying that great news!

As a guy who desperately tried to remain optimistic when Wojo was coach, I am loving the optimistic takes by so many Scoopers re Shaka. Obviously, we all hope the optimism will have proven to be well-founded. I know I'm psyched for a return to prominence for Marquette hoops, and keeping DJ for another year is a good start.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #28566 on: April 01, 2021, 07:34:14 AM »
I am as excited as anyone about Shaka and truly believe he’s going to cut down nets and hang banners....and I think that’ll happen quickly

However, I don’t get the whole “I haven’t been this exited in decades talk”. I know Wojo damn near drained us of our fan hood but we still made 3 straight sweet 16’s within the the last 10 years. And during my time at MU (2006-2010) we were disappointing in the tournament but there was still plenty to be excited about.

Again, I’m fired up for Shaka and think he’ll do great things but things weren’t that bad before Wojo (although they were phucking horrible with him)
Bring back FFP!!!

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #28567 on: April 01, 2021, 07:47:08 AM »
I am as excited as anyone about Shaka and truly believe he’s going to cut down nets and hang banners....and I think that’ll happen quickly

However, I don’t get the whole “I haven’t been this exited in decades talk”. I know Wojo damn near drained us of our fan hood but we still made 3 straight sweet 16’s within the the last 10 years. And during my time at MU (2006-2010) we were disappointing in the tournament but there was still plenty to be excited about.
You're spot on. Now lets get going Warriors!
Again, I’m fired up for Shaka and think he’ll do great things but things weren’t that bad before Wojo (although they were phucking horrible with him)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #28568 on: April 01, 2021, 07:51:34 AM »

Hallelujah
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #28569 on: April 01, 2021, 08:04:42 AM »
Sure Sign of Jsglows Return

A page of posts in the recruiting thread having nothing to do with recruiting!  Come on folks, back to recruiting business.  Do it for the glowster.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 08:07:18 AM by 4everDawson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28570 on: April 01, 2021, 08:06:08 AM »

Did that auto correct in spellcheck?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #28571 on: April 01, 2021, 09:15:30 AM »
Did that auto correct in spellcheck?

When Crean got here I was excited, when Buzz got the job, excited with his results on the court, then The last seven years were tough and  was not excited.  Did not donate to blue and gold this year other than my season ticket fees for first time in forever.  I will again donate again!   It is better to say excitement is BACK at Marquette!   Go Warrior.  (Shaka).

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28572 on: April 01, 2021, 09:37:12 AM »
swoopem

I was very excited during the Buzz era and enjoyed it a lot. That said, it took me awhile to warm up to Buzz and by the time he had the hook in me I knew his time at MU was going to be short lived. My excitement level is high because Shaka is a big time hire and I think he is going to be here for a long time.

Note--I was jacked up when KO was here, but also knew he was going to be short lived at MU. IMO, this is the first time in decades that I believe that we have the right guy and he is not going anywhere for quite some time. Those two factors are very big for me.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #28573 on: April 01, 2021, 09:42:20 AM »
Gotta think that Roy leaving UNC helps us with the Aidoo recruitment, yes?

Still haven't heard much about it outside of previous news. But do you think this puts RJ Davis back on the market as well?

As the world turns.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #28574 on: April 01, 2021, 09:44:12 AM »
Gotta think that Roy leaving UNC helps us with the Aidoo recruitment, yes?

Still haven't heard much about it outside of previous news. But do you think this puts RJ Davis back on the market as well?

As the world turns.

I think both those ships have sailed
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.