[Today at 09:44:45 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo is learning  (Read 23599 times)

MUCrew

• All American
Re: Wojo is learning
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2018, 04:32:28 PM »
I drive a Dodge Stratus!

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2018, 06:18:21 PM »

Actually no.  I won't.  Because I grow weary of the narrative that you falsely expound.

So your opinion that Wojo inherited nothing and a bare cupboard is right, and mine suggesting that all of:  Burton, Fischer, Johnson, Dawson, Wilson, Steve Taylor could play, and that Juan Anderson and Derrick Wilson were capable 15 and 10 minute back ups is wrong and equates to an empty cupboard?

Gotcha.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2018, 06:34:03 PM »
So your opinion that Wojo inherited nothing and a bare cupboard is right, and mine suggesting that all of:  Burton, Fischer, Johnson, Dawson, Wilson, Steve Taylor could play, and that Juan Anderson and Derrick Wilson were capable 15 and 10 minute back ups is wrong and equates to an empty cupboard?

Gotcha.

Lol if you think that is anything but a bare cupboard, particularly given that almost all of those players had almost no experience.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2018, 06:52:52 PM »

Gotcha.

You are correct. It is an opinion. An opinion supported by stats, facts and logic.

And while Wojo technically inherited Burton, he was gowne no matta who was coaching the second his mother passed.

Think about this for a second. You keep insisting that players like Fischer, Johnson, Dawson, Duane, and Taylor were good players. Between all five of them, they combined for zero career All Big East appearances. Zero. They didn't even get a single honorable mention.

If these guys were as good as you insisted as sophomores, don't you think they would have been All Big East level by the time they were seniors? Or at least honorable mentions? Fischer and Johnson were solid starters by their senior year but not when Wojo inherited them. Taylor and Dawson had to transfer to low majors to find playing time. Duane I think had the talent but unfortunately had destroyed his legs before Wojo got there.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2018, 08:38:09 PM »

Gotcha.

So you actually think that group of inexperienced players who ended up role players at best meant a "full cupboard?"

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:45:16 PM by #bansultan »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2018, 09:00:23 PM »
Sent him an apologetic PM.  And also sorry to you if I offended with my commentary/viewpoint on depression.

Thank you.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2018, 09:12:50 PM »
With the Akanno signing, it is becoming clear the Wojo is learning from the fundamental weakness of last year's team.    I am not saying that there will never be another small guard at MU.    But Wojo is setting it up that there will never be two undersized guards on the floor at the same time trying to guard Big East power guards.     Coach is now clearly recruiting players with length.    I like this signing.    A smart kid with size and a lot of upside but not a ton of hype coming onto a team that does not need him to be an immediate contributor.     Wojo is learning.
Back to the original topic. Do you think Wojo would not recruit another Markus Howard or that he would not take another Rowsey transfer, if he had an opening in the roster?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2018, 09:50:10 PM »
Back to the original topic. Do you think Wojo would not recruit another Markus Howard or that he would not take another Rowsey transfer, if he had an opening in the roster?

I think it would depend. I don't think he'd take one that he expected to play alongside Markus. Maybe an elite talent after Howard graduates.

I also think people don't realize that going from the ACC to the Big East was a legit adjustment in PG size. Kyron Cartwright was the only 6'0" or shorter starter outside MU last year. Compare that to the ACC he left. Larkin at Miami, Paige at UNC, Evans at Virginia, Cook at Duke, he was used to PGs in that 5'10" to 6'0" range that weren't tremendously outsized.

This is a league of bigger lead guards. Half the league had starting PGs that were 6'4" or taller. Howard and Rowsey were a reaction to our 2015 offense & were like the ACC PGs he was used to. Players like Elliott, Chartouny, McEwen, & Akanno are good indicators he has figured out that what works in the ACC doesn't necessarily work as well here.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2018, 10:01:07 PM »
He learned not to bring in two of the most prolific scorers in D1 basketball last year?? Please with the revisionist history.  Victim of circumstance with players leaving.  Not everything happens in a vacuum.

Yes, I agree with this.  It is not really a situation of learning, but what is available and willing to play at MU.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2018, 10:10:13 PM »

So you actually think that group of inexperienced players who ended up role players at best meant a "full cupboard?"

Not a full cupboard by any means, but Burton ended up a 2nd team All Big 12 player, Luke was a solid starter from day 1 and JJJ was more than a role player his senior year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2018, 12:49:10 AM »
Deonte played 11 minutes in his last game as a Warrior, against Wisconsin, in a game where we scored 38 points for the whole game. He played over 20 minutes in 1 game out of 9 that season.

You are who you guard, typically in basketball.  There were plenty of times we had 5 guys on the court, playing our zone, with Derrick Wilson at the bottom of our zone.  Carlino and/or Duane were more than capable initiating our offense.

Last I'll say on the topic, but people need to STFU with the notion that Wojo came into a bare cupboard (which is what once again ignited this topic.)
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2018, 08:05:29 AM »
Not a full cupboard by any means, but Burton ended up a 2nd team All Big 12 player, Luke was a solid starter from day 1 and JJJ was more than a role player his senior year.

Yes.  I phrased that poorly. 

But the point remains, their experienced players were bad and their decent players were inexperienced.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2018, 09:28:09 AM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2018, 01:19:45 PM »
Yes.  I phrased that poorly. 

But the point remains, their experienced players were bad and their decent players were inexperienced.

This is what it comes down to.

If we judged each team by how all the players eventually fared then it's riduculous that 06-13 we weren't even better seeing as a few of those teams had as many as 5 NBA players. By Ners' logic Jimmy Butler should've been a starter in 08-09 because he's an all NBA player now.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2018, 01:23:25 PM »
This is what it comes down to.

If we judged each team by how all the players eventually fared then it's riduculous that 06-13 we weren't even better seeing as a few of those teams had as many as 5 NBA players. By Ners' logic Jimmy Butler should've been a starter in 08-09 because he's an all NBA player now.

Exactly.  Professional player does not equal automatic four years of stud college playing.  Of the Amigos, Dom almost left after his Freshman year,  Rel was the all time leading scorer, and Wes was the one that stuck in the NBA.  Not trying to say Wes was a bad college player (one of my all time favorites actually), but he didn't have the accolades that the other two had. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2018, 03:59:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/1043255282753781760

Love the one on one drills with players who will be competing for minutes going up against each other.  Looks like they're getting after each other.

Didn't see Sam in the 5 on 5 work, but he was going full contact one on one against Bailey.  Had a nice drive to the hoop with the left on Bailey, and Bailey had a nice turn around jumper from about 12 along the baseline over Sam (who played good defense and forced Bailey to make the nice jumper).  If Bailey's got that in his arsenal consistently and can shoot as well as I've heard he can, even I might have underestimated him.

Physically, Sacar is a man compared to Jamal.

Didn’t see Heldt.

I don’t think this team will get pushed around the next 2 years.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:02:40 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

fjm

• All American
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2018, 04:10:40 PM »
Very last shot: Joey burying a 3 from the corner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2018, 04:10:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/1043255282753781760

Love the one on one drills with players who will be competing for minutes going up against each other.  Looks like they're getting after each other.

Didn't see Sam in the 5 on 5 work, but he was going full contact one on one against Bailey.  Had a nice drive to the hoop with the left on Bailey, and Bailey had a nice turn around jumper from about 12 along the baseline over Sam (who played good defense and forced Bailey to make the nice jumper).  If Bailey's got that in his arsenal consistently and can shoot as well as I've heard he can, even I might have underestimated him.

Physically, Sacar is a man compared to Jamal.

Didn’t see Heldt.

I don’t think this team will get pushed around the next 2 years.

Heldt is hurt

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2018, 04:11:18 PM »
I liked Sacar's drive and man-to-man defense. Positions himself well and absorbs contact without giving ground. Looks confident and intense. Don't know whether he'll start at the three, but think he'll earn his share of minutes.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »
Heldt is hurt

Got it, hadn’t heard that, thanks.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2018, 04:21:07 PM »
There is not going to be any room for shrinking violets in practice. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2018, 04:33:44 PM »
Got it, hadn’t heard that, thanks.

Broken toe

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2018, 04:34:22 PM »
Really looking forward to seeing this group of kids against Cooley &Company .Those Providence games always seem to be a tough physical battle and a lot of fun.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2018, 04:36:27 PM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2018, 06:44:14 PM »
I liked Sacar's drive and man-to-man defense. Positions himself well and absorbs contact without giving ground. Looks confident and intense. Don't know whether he'll start at the three, but think he'll earn his share of minutes.

He averaged 27 mpg last year.  Was over 30 for most of the second half of the year.  He was ahead of Jamal in the rotation too.

He will get plenty of time this year.

feedback