[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Worst to first  (Read 6579 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Worst to first
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2018, 10:09:26 AM »
We should probably add this term to the Scoop banned words list. 

I agree with this analysis.  The scheme change has been quite beneficial as has the complexion of the chosen lineup - not playing two midgets small people together.

The defensive improvement has been greater than I anticipated, so tip of the cap to Wojo and staff.  Good to be able to win some games when we don't have to have an A-game offensively.

I'm a midget but am not offended by the use of that term.

All it takes is one person to claim status to settle the permissible use, right?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2018, 11:17:24 AM »
The defensive improvement has been greater than I anticipated, so tip of the cap to Wojo and staff.  Good to be able to win some games when we don't have to have an A-game offensively.

Nice to have you on the record about this. Seriously, Ners, it's good for any of us to admit that he or she might occasionally be wrong. I definitely include myself.

Of course, it's a long season, and there's nothing wrong with saying "We'll see." I tend to be more optimistic even when saying that. I'm saying, "We'll see ... and I think we will be happy with what we see!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2018, 05:05:44 PM »
I'm a midget but am not offended by the use of that term.

All it takes is one person to claim status to settle the permissible use, right?

All about the Golden Rule Ziggy. If I asked this of someone, how would I want them to respond?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2018, 05:28:24 PM »
Nice to have you on the record about this. Seriously, Ners, it's good for any of us to admit that he or she might occasionally be wrong. I definitely include myself.

Of course, it's a long season, and there's nothing wrong with saying "We'll see." I tend to be more optimistic even when saying that. I'm saying, "We'll see ... and I think we will be happy with what we see!"

I'll say this much:  After Wojo's coaching performance turned in Year 1 and 2, I thought he didn't stand a chance to be effective/solid.  He showed some* improvement Years 3 and arguably 4, but he lost me totally last season after the @Creighton game when Markus got hurt, and we played 1-small and zone, and ultimately never gave that approach a real* chance thereafter.

The Indiana defeat was tough to swallow as it looked like same sh$t different year.  We gutted out tough wins against Louisville and Wisconsin, and did so in ways we haven't shown the ability to win games under Wojo historically.  So, there are some encouraging signs.  I'm still not sold that he'll be a difference-maker as a coach as was Buzz, but if we can be a Top 20-30 program, I'll be happy with that on a consistent basis.

Lastly, I watch some episodes of Inside Marquette basketball, and there are times I do find myself thinking Wojo certainly seems to be "real," "sincere," and "likable."  His post-game presser after last year's loss to Providence though where he went off on the student, was not his finest moment - and also colored my "dislike" for him last season.

Hopefully this will be the breakthrough year that those of you who have preached patience will be rewarded - and those of us who have been highly critical will have to tip our cap and say we were wrong.  And I will if we can at least win an NCAA tournament game this year. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2018, 11:49:35 PM »
I'll say this much:  After Wojo's coaching performance turned in Year 1 and 2, I thought he didn't stand a chance to be effective/solid.  He showed some* improvement Years 3 and arguably 4, but he lost me totally last season after the @Creighton game when Markus got hurt, and we played 1-small and zone, and ultimately never gave that approach a real* chance thereafter.

The Indiana defeat was tough to swallow as it looked like same sh$t different year.  We gutted out tough wins against Louisville and Wisconsin, and did so in ways we haven't shown the ability to win games under Wojo historically.  So, there are some encouraging signs.  I'm still not sold that he'll be a difference-maker as a coach as was Buzz, but if we can be a Top 20-30 program, I'll be happy with that on a consistent basis.

Lastly, I watch some episodes of Inside Marquette basketball, and there are times I do find myself thinking Wojo certainly seems to be "real," "sincere," and "likable."  His post-game presser after last year's loss to Providence though where he went off on the student, was not his finest moment - and also colored my "dislike" for him last season.

Hopefully this will be the breakthrough year that those of you who have preached patience will be rewarded - and those of us who have been highly critical will have to tip our cap and say we were wrong.  And I will if we can at least win an NCAA tournament game this year.

If you remember correctly, I criticized Wojo for his comportment at the press conference, too, not that he gives a rat's rump what either of us thinks.

We're better this season. More talented players, better scheme, better coaching. I expected nothing less.

I still can't shake the idea that some Scoopers are actually rooting for us to fail because they so love to say, "I told you so." Here's hoping you're not one of them, and I'll be looking for at least 2 or 3 cap-tippings from you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2018, 07:03:10 AM »
I don't think there are a lot who actually want Wojo to fail.  I think there are a fair number who have made up their minds he won't succeed, have said so publicly, and now must cling to that rather than be proven wrong. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2018, 07:12:44 AM »
I think that people prematurely saw the writing on the wall that Wojo was ultimately not the guy to get MU back to the promised land.  Because of this, failure (quick and miserable failure) was better than prolonged mediocrity that would lead to indecision on the part of the President and Board of Trustees to fire Wojo.   If this season goes well, the doubters will see the light and get on board.  No one truly wants Wojo to fail. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2018, 07:24:26 AM »
I don't think there are a lot who actually want Wojo to fail.  I think there are a fair number who have made up their minds he won't succeed, have said so publicly, and now must cling to that rather than be proven wrong.

Or maybe people are sick of wandering in the desert the last 4 years and got vocal.

I see more people worried about those 'wishing Wojo would fail' or 'ironically calling out the naysayers' than those who actually softened their perspective after a few very well coached & executed games.  The board has been very balanced and complimentary on average after the wins...because people want the team to win (shocking)

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2018, 08:14:01 AM »
I don’t think wandering in the desert is a good description of the last four years. It’s been a slow but steady rebuild.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2018, 08:22:02 AM »
I don’t think wandering in the desert is a good description of the last four years. It’s been a slow but steady rebuild.

This. We've averaged 20wins and .500 in conference. Not good or expectations as a program but certainly better than wandering the desert like say 83-92.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »

This. We've averaged 20wins and .500 in conference. Not good or expectations as a program but certainly better than wandering the desert like say 83-92.

Maybe - if you lived through both you could come to a different perspective.  But it completely misses my point as I wasn't speaking about those that are positive and feel this rebuild has been great all along.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2018, 08:34:33 AM »

That's fair. I'm an optimist myself, so I should give most folks the benefit of the doubt, as you have here. Well done as usual, tower.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2018, 08:40:44 AM »
This rebuild hasn't been great all along.  Like most, it has been awkward and uneven and non-linear and frustrating.   The eternal question is whether you can see reasons for optimism, evidence that there is a plan that will work.   Some haven't seen enough to convince them.  Others have seen enough to not despair.  Still others have seen enough to advocate blowing it up and starting another rebuild.

Or, like most rebuilds featuring a brand new philosophy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2018, 12:18:36 PM »
Or maybe people are sick of wandering in the desert the last 4 years and got vocal.

I see more people worried about those 'wishing Wojo would fail' or 'ironically calling out the naysayers' than those who actually softened their perspective after a few very well coached & executed games.  The board has been very balanced and complimentary on average after the wins...because people want the team to win (shocking)

Most of the complainers were not just becoming vocal after 4 years.

And I’m 100% certain some here would rather see Wojo fail than admit they were wrong.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2018, 12:38:09 PM »
All about the Golden Rule Ziggy. If I asked this of someone, how would I want them to respond?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2018, 01:07:07 PM »

And I’m 100% certain some here would rather see Wojo fail than admit they were wrong.

I'm 80% certain this is wrong.

And 100% certain that it's foolish to be 100% certain either way.

feedback