Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz says on radio show  (Read 23665 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: Buzz says on radio show
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »
As much as I think the BC is great for MU- relatively cheap, large, coolness factor that a NBA team plays there. I'm just curious if MU gave any thought to making the Al bigger like the Kohl Center. I assume budget had a lot to do with it but anyone know if they gave it serious thought. It would definitely be huge for smaller games to be on campus.

The AL seats about 4,000, and the Kohl Center seats 17,000...not even close

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 10:56:44 AM »
Where would you have put the rest of it?  The AL takes up most of the block...

Suspend the students upside down from the ceiling like bats.  Then opponents would call it the cave, and shiver in fear of playing there...
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 10:57:23 AM »
As much as I think the BC is great for MU- relatively cheap, large, coolness factor that a NBA team plays there. I'm just curious if MU gave any thought to making the Al bigger like the Kohl Center. I assume budget had a lot to do with it but anyone know if they gave it serious thought. It would definitely be huge for smaller games to be on campus.

+1 to Hards and the north side of the building butts up against the sidewalk so you couldn't just add seating. With the team offices and administration offices and practice gym to the south, a major remodel would have to be done to make it work.

The only thing annoying about the PA announcer is how he says JIMMMAY BUTTTTLAHHHHH

That's great. Plus, by the end of the game it normally just sounds like "Yimmmmmmah Buuullllahhh"  I enjoy his energy and whenever 4 subs come in he says "a new set of tires for ____".  He does his job well which is to inform the crowd of happenings in the game and adds to the excitement of the event, imho.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »
MU is near the top for attendance on a yearly basis, players/recruits comment on being able to be around an NBA facility and players/team, the AL is a great practice facility....  I understand the Bradley Center needs some updates as far as an NBA arena, but I think it's a pretty good thing for MU in comparison to other schools.

That's fine and all...but it is a sound suck.  The way it is laid out just makes it so quiet.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 11:27:02 AM »
Where would you have put the rest of it?  The AL takes up most of the block...

There are different options.
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=al+mcguire+center&fb=1&gl=us&hq=al+mcguire+center&hnear=Milwaukee,+WI&cid=0,0,12894486559253832462&ei=fHRDS6GdOJXSNbqUjIYJ&ved=0CBMQnwIwAw&ll=43.039626,-87.92809&spn=0.002466,0.005681&t=h&z=18
Maybe across the street behind Abbottsford, adding a little bit of room. Or even locations on the west end before some of these other buildings were planned.

I'm just more curious than actually suggesting they should've done that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 11:27:30 AM »
The student section was awesome in my day (92-96). It was down by the band and you had assigned seats. Isn't it a general admission set up these days, where you have to queue up outside hours before the game to get a decent seat? That would suck. We'd hang out at the Gym Bar in those hours before the game and then walk down to the BC.

The assigned seats lead to bad things...such as the law students sitting closest to the floor while the loudest ones were up top.  The general admission is better from a loudness perspective.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 11:34:55 AM »
I guarentee you, Buzz Williams is NOT reading anything on this board lol. And if someone is filling him in, he doesn't give a rat's a$$ what is said on here.
Listen to the interview.  Buzz is very worked up about how "EVERYBODY" is telling him he needs to play Erik more, and a 7 man rotation is the reason they are losing close games.  Later he talks about how the stuff they worked on Sunday was POSTED on the INTERNET.  While I agree he doesn't have time to cruise MUSCOOP I'll bet people around him are very aware of it.  Obama doesn't what Fox News but I'll bet people tell him the tone of what is being said.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 11:35:25 AM »
The AL seats about 4,000, and the Kohl Center seats 17,000...not even close
I meant when they were in the planning stages of the AL. Sorry, I have some state school tendencies, and wouldn't mind seeing an arena on 17th where the Engineering school is getting built. Could've had the atmosphere of parties on 17th and going to a 11 o'clock game. I guess this would have been a negative in the mindset of the university.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 11:48:21 AM »
I'm not sure if you understand the footprint of a building that large.  It would absolutely not fit where you are suggesting.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 11:58:24 AM »
I guarentee you, Buzz Williams is NOT reading anything on this board lol. And if someone is filling him in, he doesn't give a rat's a$$ what is said on here.

You'd be wrong.  If it were up to most coaches, message boards either wouldn't exist or would be so tightly moderated that no one would post. 

MU has already been involved in the recruitment of multiple players that have changed their minds on schools because of message board comments.  MU has had games in the past where unpublished injury information and game plan information was leaked via a message board to the opposing team.

Coaches absolutely do know what happens on the board, and for the most part they dislike them immensely.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 12:03:48 PM »
I'm not sure if you understand the footprint of a building that large.  It would absolutely not fit where you are suggesting.
Not including the 2 lobbies, the BC is close to fitting on that space. Look at the map and scale and compare the two.
Also, keep in mind the BC is a Hockey Arena. That means seats can be closer to the court, thus taking up less room. I don't think it would be crazy to think a 15,000 seat arena could have been put there.

Although, you would lose practice courts and lose the offices, which I would guess defeat the purpose. Just throwing stuff out there on a Tuesday morning. Just more a question if those in the know ever heard that idea thrown around or if they ever wanted a stadium on campus.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 12:05:17 PM »
You'd be wrong.  If it were up to most coaches, message boards either wouldn't exist or would be so tightly moderated that no one would post. 

MU has already been involved in the recruitment of multiple players that have changed their minds on schools because of message board comments.  MU has had games in the past where unpublished injury information and game plan information was leaked via a message board to the opposing team.

Coaches absolutely do know what happens on the board, and for the most part they dislike them immensely.

Can you say who besides Blue?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 12:16:37 PM »

Are you saying that MU has lost BB recruits over what was posted on this or other message boards?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 12:17:29 PM »
Can you say who besides Blue?

The only one I'll name is Terrence Boyd.  He's a SG/SF in the class of 2009.  At one point a Top 100 player.

MU began recruiting him pretty soon after Buzz took over, when he was a really hot name on the scene.  At the time he was a Kentucky lean and really like BCG.  He went on a visit to Kentucky and was planning on committing to them as soon as he got home and discussed it with his family.  

By the time he got home there were dozens of posts trashing him on both the main UK boards, and he was tipped off to those posts by those close to them.  Soon after reading them, he eliminated UK from consideration and spent a considerable amount of time trying to get his friend Daniel Orton(also a UK target at the time) not to go there.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 12:18:03 PM »

Are you saying that MU has lost BB recruits over what was posted on this or other message boards?

Yes.

I'm also saying MU has lost games over what was posted on this or other message boards.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
Not including the 2 lobbies, the BC is close to fitting on that space. Look at the map and scale and compare the two.
Also, keep in mind the BC is a Hockey Arena. That means seats can be closer to the court, thus taking up less room. I don't think it would be crazy to think a 15,000 seat arena could have been put there.

Although, you would lose practice courts and lose the offices, which I would guess defeat the purpose. Just throwing stuff out there on a Tuesday morning. Just more a question if those in the know ever heard that idea thrown around or if they ever wanted a stadium on campus.

My guess if that they COULD have fit a building this size if they really wanted to.

The problem(s) are as follows:

- takes away potential space for future dorms/academic buildings
- a full sized arena wouldn't necessarily solve the practice facility/athletic office needs of the school
- PARKING and LOGISTICS (biggest issues in my mind) MU's campus neighborhood is already pretty busy during the school year (cars, pedestrians, parking spaces, parking garages, etc). Putting another 15,000 people plus arena employees on campus for 16 home games (plus concerts, etc. etc.) would be a problem (IMHO). Where are they going to park? Where are they going to walk? Where are they going to eat? Are student yards going to turn into parking lot like up in GB?

That's a lot of headaches just to claim that "MU has an on campus arena".

Now, if you want to talk hypotheticals, maybe MU should have purchased the Milwaukee arena and retrofit it to hold 15,000+ (no idea how).

I like the Bradley Center fine, but it's not the best college arena around.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2010, 12:25:22 PM »
Yes.

I'm also saying MU has lost games over what was posted on this or other message boards.

Great another excuse besides free throws and coaching as to why MU can't win the close ones.  The Message Board Fault.  What is going on in this world?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2010, 12:26:21 PM »
The Presberterian (sp) game was broadcast on gomarquette.com.  I'm pretty sure they have the Internet in West Va.  Huggy like most D1 coaches has about 13 some odd assistants, guessing one of them was resourceful enough to check MU's website for any possible broadcast info.  

Buzz hopefully is smart enough to know that if you do something in front of 9,000 people, it's not going to remain a secret.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Norm

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 12:47:33 PM »
My guess is that Huggins in his years and years of playing and coaching has seen what Buzz was trying to do at WVA and knows hoe to adjust to it. Was this some new offense/defense that Buzz invented? I don't think it was, but my guess is that Huggins didn't need to be tipped off by a message board to know how to defend it.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2010, 12:55:07 PM »
Yes.

Games or Recruits?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2010, 12:57:43 PM »
There's a difference between knowing how to stop something and expecting it to be done in advance so that you can prepare your players for it.  There's only so many hours of practice available, you can't spend time teach your guys how to beat something that a team hasn't shown at all before.

If MU busts out a 1-3-1 against WVU and Huggins has seen it or is aware it might happen, the chances of effectiveness for MU aren't as high as they would be if it was something they'd only done in practice specifically in preparation for that one game.

Part of the game is and always has been the element of surprise and how you adjust to that.  The internet has eliminated much of that, as there are very rarely real surprises anymore.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2010, 12:59:01 PM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »
There's a difference between knowing how to stop something and expecting it to be done in advance so that you can prepare your players for it.  There's only so many hours of practice available, you can't spend time teach your guys how to beat something that a team hasn't shown at all before.

If MU busts out a 1-3-1 against WVU and Huggins has seen it or is aware it might happen, the chances of effectiveness for MU aren't as high as they would be if it was something they'd only done in practice specifically in preparation for that one game.

Part of the game is and always has been the element of surprise and how you adjust to that.  The internet has eliminated much of that, as there are very rarely real surprises anymore.

One of my favorite things to do as a youth basketball coach is to mess up a team by throwing out a different defense out of nowhere.  I have our kids play almost entirely man-to-man defense...not because it is the most effective, but because it teaches the kids better defensive skills.

But I will have some sort of verbal command at after a made basket that will have them drop into a 1-3-1 of some sort...possibly even with a half court trap.  Oftentimes this requires the other team to take a timeout.  Only then I come back with man-to-man after the timeout and break back out the 1-3-1 later.

Fun stuff.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2010, 01:34:52 PM »

One of my favorite things to do as a youth basketball coach is to mess up a team by throwing out a different defense out of nowhere.  I have our kids play almost entirely man-to-man defense...not because it is the most effective, but because it teaches the kids better defensive skills.

But I will have some sort of verbal command at after a made basket that will have them drop into a 1-3-1 of some sort...possibly even with a half court trap.  Oftentimes this requires the other team to take a timeout.  Only then I come back with man-to-man after the timeout and break back out the 1-3-1 later.

Fun stuff.

My middle school coach did this as well... We used the 2-3 though.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2010, 01:38:10 PM »
Yes.

Not saying that didn't happen, but it sure is flabbergasting.   That somehow one of the scores of arm-chair quarterbacks actually had previously unknown, unobservable from game tape knowledge that another team could use to a winning benefit .. that's downright amazing.

feedback