Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Don't mean to pile on  (Read 3367 times)

Marquette65

• Starter
Don't mean to pile on
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
but the more time Mo Acker is on the court, MUs chances of a win are greatly diminished.

Shot selection is just terrible--His complete lack of D is well know to all.  How many times did Reynolds or #5 just blow right buy him.

But with only 7 I guess we just have to close our eyes and just pray.

muhoops1

• All American
Re: Don't mean to pile on
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 08:15:37 PM »
That #5 is a freshman and he abused Acker all day.  Mo is a total defensive liability.  That being said today I thought DJO was the biggest liability on both ends of the court all day.  Cubillian played as well as he is capable today.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 09:49:29 PM »
Does anyone still wish to criticize my concerns about the PG situation as you did after the Michigan and Xavier wins? The offense is terrible when Cubillan is out there, and the defense is terrible when Acker is out there. I love the effort, and its not their fault, but whether people are willing top admit it or not, we have a PG 'situation' and it isn't going to get better until next season.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 09:51:42 PM »
to his credit, cubillian hit some big shots today... not an PG to set up shots for others though..

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 10:05:38 PM »
Yeah I understand Mo's shortcomings.  But do you know how bad we would be right now without him?  We don't have any other D1 guards on the roster.

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:07:28 PM »
That #5 is a freshman and he abused Acker all day.  Mo is a total defensive liability.  That being said today I thought DJO was the biggest liability on both ends of the court all day.  Cubillian played as well as he is capable today.

You realize that the freshman was also the third rated PG in his class, right?  A McDonald's All American last year (one of two in their 2009 class). 

MUFan11

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 12:14:51 PM »
Its too bad Junior got hurt, we really could have used him during big east play

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 02:46:36 PM »
What is it with criticizing our players so much?  We just lost to two top 10 teams in the Nation by a combined total of 3 points and we're so quick to point the finger, much of which is something they can't fix like their height.  While it sucks to lose these close games, it makes for a bright future because of the fight we have and the upcoming talent.

MU83

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 03:00:28 PM »
If you look back at the games versus Villanova last year, they were able to dribble penetrate pretty much at will against what were much better on the ball defenders.  Villanova has outstanding guards who will get past most defenders playing man-to-man defense.

Acker is a decent player who gives his all, but is not capable of defending the top tier guards he will go up against.  Having said that, the team MU has on the floor, including Acker, is not the team we thought we would have due to injuries and defections.  Personally I think they are doing an outstanding job consideiring the circumstances, and I am proud to call them "my team".

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 03:01:44 PM »
What is it with criticizing our players so much?  We just lost to two top 10 teams in the Nation by a combined total of 3 points and we're so quick to point the finger, much of which is something they can't fix like their height.  While it sucks to lose these close games, it makes for a bright future because of the fight we have and the upcoming talent.

Not to mention it shows that Buzz *really* knows how to coach.  The last two games have made me feel *real* good about the future of the program from a coaching perspective.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 03:02:36 PM »
Yup, too bad Junior got hurt.  Too bad Otule got hurt.  Too bad JMay left.  Too bad Mbao & eWill aren't ready to play significant minutes. Too bad Black didn't commit for next year.  Too bad Mo isn't 5 inches taller.  Too bad Cubie pronounces his name weird. Too bad, too bad, too bad...

This thread is for a bunch of winers!  Our point situation is what it is.  Who else should coach play? 

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 04:03:10 PM »

I agree. While these losses are extremely frustrating b/c we've been in a position to win these games, it is pretty surprising we are even in these games. With the limited roster we are fielding right now, it is pretty impressive we are going toe to toe with top 10 and top 25 teams and frankly outplaying them to a large degree but blowing it at the line late.

Yes, it is frustrating to get so close and not seal the deal, but I can't question the effort or coaching when we are hanging with teams with better talent and size. Would have been interesting to see what we'd be with Junior, Otule and Maymon. Not like we would have needed much of a boost to be potentially a solid top 25 team right now. Oh well, that isn't reality. So for now, I'll enjoy watching these guys scratch and claw their way to some good wins along the way. Hard not to feel for Lazar a bit that he doesn't have more weapons for his senior year, but we've been through that before.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 04:10:03 PM »
Yup, too bad Junior got hurt.  Too bad Otule got hurt.  Too bad JMay left.  Too bad Mbao & eWill aren't ready to play significant minutes. Too bad Black didn't commit for next year.  Too bad Mo isn't 5 inches taller.  Too bad Cubie pronounces his name weird. Too bad, too bad, too bad...

This thread is for a bunch of winers!  Our point situation is what it is.  Who else should coach play? 

+1
Quit griping about who we have...that won't change this year (other than maybe the late addition of a forward to compensate for the loss of J. May-mommy-I-want-more-playing-time.

Injuries happen. Crazy dads happen. Freshmen aren't always ready to contribute. Criticism about having to play Acker or Coobie is not constructive.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 05:17:29 PM »

I must agree with you.

I prefer Cabs and Chardonnays myself.
SS Marquette

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 06:40:31 PM »
I must agree with you.

I prefer Cabs and Chardonnays myself.

Normally I think pointing out understandable typos is a dick move. But this one made me laugh. So it's a funny dick move: I can fully support that.

feedback