Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 4 Tennessee Basketball Players Arrested.  (Read 12801 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: 4 Tennessee Basketball Players Arrested.
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 08:13:50 AM »
Update: Bruce Pearl will indefinitely suspend the four players, Tyler Smith, Cameron Tatum, Brian Williams and Melvin Goins, according to a CBSSports.com report.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 09:48:09 AM »
I wouldn't want my livelihood dependent on the skills, behavior, and families of 18-22 year old athletes. There's a reason coaches have health problems attributed to the stress of their jobs. Scholarship athletes have a special talent. To be honest, they also may have been spoiled and pampered on the road to manhood. Don't expect a squad of choirboys to represent your favorite university. It ain't going to happen.  Doesn't matter if it's UW, UL, Tennessee, or fill in the blank U., items occur.
The easiest route for us and others is to universally place the blame with the head coach. And, yes, I realize he or she is ultimately responsible for the actions of the players both on and off the court or field. But, the head coach is not with them 24/7. The blame here, and in all other incidents, must be shared foremost by the players, and secondary by the people who gifted them with a $100,000-$200,000 college scholarship.
Incidents like this are happening at public schools, private schools, small conferences, large conferences, and at D-1,2, and 3 institutions. Don't be so smug in your judgment, your alma mater may someday face the same embarrassment.

It's cute to me when you defend Bruce Pearl so vigorously.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
Cute? So you disagree with my statement?

Here's the disclaimer I should have added:

I like Pearl. I consider Bruce to be a friend. Though since he left MKE, there hasn't been much contact. Nonetheless, I still stand by my statement about the difficulties of managing student athletes. Bruce really doesn't need me to stick up for him either.

Disclaimer #2
Had this happened to Crean, I would not verbalize his defense.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 10:04:26 AM »

I like Pearl. I consider Bruce to be a friend. Though since he left MKE, there hasn't been much contact. Nonetheless, I still stand by my statement about the difficulties of managing student athletes. Bruce really doesn't need me to stick up for him either.

Disclaimer #2

Well, I give you credit for being honest here, but it doesn't really excuse the hypocrisy.

You are smart enough to recognize your own biases, but you just don't care. Awesome.

I actually agree 100% with your first post about Bruce. You are dead on. But, I apply that same logic to all coaches, not just my "friends".

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 11:32:48 AM »

Disclaimer #2

I appreciate your honesty, you are one of the few here that openly admits the double standard....for that you get major kudos.

I will say this about BP, he is a funny funny dude.  Very likable.  I just know too many stories on the basketball front that taints my judgment of him overall....that's my disclaimer.  How he got UWM to where he did was frustrating as hell on the other side of town because we knew how shady it was but you couldn't say anything without it coming off as total sour grapes.

groove

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 12:52:51 PM »
According to ESPN, Bruce Pearl stated that "to his knowledge" the car was in one of the player's girlfriend's name.

Pearl probably has had a bit of the girlfriend also.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 03:23:34 PM »
Incidents like this are happening at public schools, private schools, small conferences, large conferences, and at D-1,2, and 3 institutions. Don't be so smug in your judgment, your alma mater may someday face the same embarrassment.

T. Mbawke And M. Clark were "almosts" for MU.  Tom Copa, Oliver Lee, Terry Reasoner are in our history. 

No we are not Tenn or BP, but the point about holds true, it happens to everyone to some degree.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 09:32:58 AM »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 09:38:41 AM »
Not sure what his motivation would be, but that immediately struck me an intentional comment.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2010, 09:38:54 AM »
T. Mbawke And M. Clark were "almosts" for MU.  Tom Copa, Oliver Lee, Terry Reasoner are in our history. 

No we are not Tenn or BP, but the point about holds true, it happens to everyone to some degree.

I think the difference is, that if these were 4 MU guys with these charges, they'd be off the team the next day.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 10:00:23 AM »
I think the difference is, that if these were 4 MU guys with these charges, they'd be off the team the next day.

I hope you are right.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 10:43:55 AM »
Way to go Bruce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRTU4egxCMw

I don't know what was funnier, Bruce's faux pas or his recognition of it.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 11:37:01 AM »
I feel bad for the guy what a kick in the teeth

feedback