Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lazar in the last huddle  (Read 7318 times)

96warrior

• Team Captain
Lazar in the last huddle
« on: February 22, 2010, 11:22:37 AM »
I believe it was the last huddle of OT. Looked like Lazar started shouting at the team...anyone else see that or know what was up? Didn't look like the guys reacted to it, I was just curious if anyone else saw that. He was really screaming.

warthog-driver

• All American
Re: Lazar in the last huddle
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 11:27:52 AM »
Nothing wrong with dispensing a little motivation. I find my guys don't respond too well to Knute Rockne speeches but, when required and in a 1 v1 engagement, a choice set of words can rivet a fighter pilot's attention on the business at hand.

LON

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 11:28:05 AM »
Being the leader (a rather intense one at that moment).

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 11:29:49 AM »
So you're saying a senior leader led an OT huddle, in a game that had huge implications on their NCAA tournament bid was screaming?

Get out.

MikeyT42

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 11:38:40 AM »
So you're saying a senior leader led an OT huddle, in a game that had huge implications on their NCAA tournament bid was screaming?

Get out.

Well played +1

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 01:26:26 PM »
 ::)

It didn't look like he was rustling up motivation, though yes, thanks, I'm sure that was it.

MarqBB77-03

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 02:34:31 PM »
I saw him shouting and immediately concluded he was trying to keep the guys juiced for pulling the game out.
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."  Al McGuire

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »
I noticed that too... I was curious as to what he said so I used the DVR rewind a few times and jotted down what I think he said.  

I'm going to tell you something I've kept to myself for years --
None of you ever knew a Greek cook named Ziggy.
It was long before your time.
But you know what a tradition he was at Marquette...
(There was a intense look in his eyes as Lazar recalled the Greek's words.)
And the last thing he said to me -- "Lazar," he said -
"sometime, when the team is up against it -- and the
breaks are beating the boys -- tell them to go out there
with all they got and win just one for Ziggy...
(Lazar's eyes became misty and his voice grew to a roar as he finished.)
I don't know where I'll be then, Lazar", he said - "but
I'll know about it - and I'll be happy."

Then they went out there and won the game.

That's at least what I think he said...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:47:34 PM by TomW1365 »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »
I saw him shouting and immediately concluded he was trying to keep the guys juiced for pulling the game out.

I thought I could read his lips a bit, and it sounded like he was repeatedly telling the team to box out.  I'm guessing they had a plan for defense, and he was ensuring that a put-back didn't happen.  It wasn't poorly received by the team from anything I saw or heard?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 02:47:20 PM »
I noticed that too... I was curious as to what he said so I used the DVR rewind a few times and jotted down what I think he said.  

(Lazar's eyes became misty and his voice looked unsteady as he finished.)

That too.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 02:54:47 PM »

(Lazar's eyes became misty and his voice grew to a roar as he finished.)

Of course...it was Ziggy...I thought I saw him saying something about Wales on Wells but that would not have motivated the team like Ziggy would have. TomW you just made my friggin day, that was hilarious.

@MarqBB - agree, it was not poorly received by the team. In fact, there didn't seem to be much reaction to it at all, which is why I was puzzled by it. They were huddled up, Zar started shouting but no reaction to it, hence the question.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »
Of course...it was Ziggy...I thought I saw him saying something about Wales on Wells but that would not have motivated the team like Ziggy would have. TomW you just made my friggin day, that was hilarious.

I was trying to think of other memorable characters that were in the MU neighborhood while going to school from 96-00.  Ziggy was the most unique name (that could be used in place of The Gipper)

#Ziggy-  $1 hamburgers (no cheese) w/ one topping (ketchup or mustard)... funny guy who sure liked women.

#Farakahn-  the 12 year old kid who hung out on campus and was afraid to go home to his messed up parent... good kid at the time with a bad situation

#Creepy wheelchair dude that carries knife for self defense... he's been showing up at MU parties/bars for years... just saw him in September this year at Murphy's.

#Jeff- the Real Chili dude that was definitely doing his best to recover from some drug problem that relapsed... disappeared one weekend and never saw him again... but he sure could serve some chili!

#Keg delivery guy from Greenfield liquor-  best mullet in town.  

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 04:56:13 PM »

#Ziggy-  $1 hamburgers (no cheese) w/ one topping (ketchup or mustard)... funny guy who sure liked women.

By 2008 this devolved into $6 milkshakes, and $7 cholera laced burritos. He loved history channel

LON

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 05:03:07 PM »

#Creepy wheelchair dude that carries knife for self defense... he's been showing up at MU parties/bars for years... just saw him in September this year at Murphy's.

Troy the Dallas Cowboys fan...

Also carries his own pool stick.

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 08:36:45 AM »
#Farakahn-  the 12 year old kid who hung out on campus and was afraid to go home to his messed up parent... good kid at the time with a bad situation

Farrakhan Green spent some time in prison a couple years back.  I don't know what came of him since. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 08:43:43 AM »
creepy wheelchair dude has graduated to packing a taser now.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 08:51:36 AM »
I loved Ziggy's until the day he came out of the bathroom, very obviously without washing his hands, and proceeded to make my gyro. Never went back. (bought the gyro but threw it out...)

That's a shame about Jeff at Real Chili. He seemed like a nice enough guy.

There was some weird spinning man when I was there, 92-96. He'd stand on the corner in front of Walgreens 16th & WI Ave and just turn circles. Sometimes he'd walk down the block, spinning like a little human cyclone.

And then there was the guy who was "trapped in a vortex".

d6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 09:28:49 AM »
Can remember wheeling Troy the Dallas fan up the stairs to several parties.  For some reason, I don't ever remember wheeling him down.  Whatever became of Singerman?  Would sing a song for money....supposedly a former MU hoopster.  Or Rockman....who sat in front of Pizza Joe's/Pi's selling multi-colored rocks?  
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:30:26 AM by d6 »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 09:44:14 AM »
Farrakhan Green spent some time in prison a couple years back.  I don't know what came of him since. 

That's too bad. I actually saw him at a game a while back (maybe 2 years ago?)

Seemed like a nice enough kid, but I can't imagine hanging out on a college campus when you are 12 was the best for his development.

However, the alternative might have been worse.

Warrior3211

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 09:47:15 AM »
Nowadays students have the great "Can Man" who comes around and picks up beer cans.  Houses can get rid of their cans on weekends by just leaving them in the yard and by morning they are gone.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »
Nowadays students have the great "Can Man" who comes around and picks up beer cans.  Houses can get rid of their cans on weekends by just leaving them in the yard and by morning they are gone.

That's not new, but thanks for reminding me of something fun from back in the day.  Drinking beer on the porch and then pitching the cans on the ground.  Or after a party throwing hundreds or thousands of beer cans out in the alley.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:55:52 AM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

d6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 10:02:46 AM »
How about Ziggy and his bright idea to put the non-alcoholic Zigg-o-mania right near the 'Lanche?  What was the name of the restaurant that filled that spot, which before that was Wales on Wells.......something D's?  They had pretty good food deals.....

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 10:08:52 AM »
How about Ziggy and his bright idea to put the non-alcoholic Zigg-o-mania right near the 'Lanche?  What was the name of the restaurant that filled that spot, which before that was Wales on Wells.......something D's?  They had pretty good food deals.....

Louie D's

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 10:16:01 AM »

My roommate and I would collect cans all week and then on a Friday or Saturday night while out on the porch we would wait for him to come by and he would ask for any emptys we had. We would give them to him, but only after he shotgunned a beer...

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 10:46:57 AM »
I loved Ziggy's until the day he came out of the bathroom, very obviously without washing his hands, and proceeded to make my gyro. Never went back. (bought the gyro but threw it out...)

That's a shame about Jeff at Real Chili. He seemed like a nice enough guy.

There was some weird spinning man when I was there, 92-96. He'd stand on the corner in front of Walgreens 16th & WI Ave and just turn circles. Sometimes he'd walk down the block, spinning like a little human cyclone.

And then there was the guy who was "trapped in a vortex".

Spinning Guy and Vortex Man, those were my 2 favorites.

Spinning Guy - I was in the convenience store on the corner of 21st & Wells, Spinning Guy comes flying in the door wearing a ski mask in the middle of summer, spins up and down every aisle in the place, then blows out the door and continues spinning like crazy down the center line on Wells St. while cars just breezed past him.

Vortex Man - crazy dreadlocks and scars all over his face, first time I met him, he stopped me one day asking for money, I wish I could remember the whole story, but it was something about being trapped in a temporary vortex, and his two cousins Thelma and Louise were stuck behind the refigerator with the big, big titties, and he needed some money to escape.  I told him I'd give him a dollar if he could repeat the story.  He said no, that I'd steal the story, write a movie about it and make a million dollars and he'd get nothing.  Then he refused to take any money.

I saw him a lot after that and always looked forward to his crazy stories.  Ran into him one summer day, he was sitting in the shade across the street from Channel 12 watching people do some repair work on the top of one of their big antennas.  I asked him what he was doing, and he said, "I've been watching them up there all day and noone has fallen yet.  But eventually one of them is going to fall, and I want to be here to see it."

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 11:17:27 AM »
Does anyone remember Louis from Real Chili? I don't think that guy was ever on payroll. He just hung out behind the counter and filled up bowls.

And of course we are forgetting FREEWAY. Has he been at any games this year? I feel like his presence is diminishing. :'(

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 11:53:39 AM »
Mo was a local that I always ran into.  one of the few locals that i'd give a beer to.

purple jacket lady.

the good bum.  the guy that had a grey jacket and stocking cap on that walked around all day picking up cigarette butts.  was rumored to be a sociology professor from Duke doing research (this was also around the time that Britney Spears was coming to Marquette).  Dressed like the good bum one year for halloween, then ran into him.  slightly embarrassing.

Troy the wheelchair dude was cool for awhile then he just got psycotic on you.

one night, had a 50+ case party when MU was cracking down on kegs.  collected them all and put them in the dumpster out back.  around 8 am, local dude opens up the dumpster on his regular rounds and sees the silver glory that was 1500 cans of Keystone Light in one dumpster.  dude looked like scrooge mcduck swimming on his money.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 12:13:38 PM »

one night, had a 50+ case party when MU was cracking down on kegs.  collected them all and put them in the dumpster out back.  around 8 am, local dude opens up the dumpster on his regular rounds and sees the silver glory that was 1500 cans of Keystone Light in one dumpster.  dude looked like scrooge mcduck swimming on his money.

Hahaha that is amazing. Guy was probably stoked, that's a solid $25.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 12:18:08 PM »
I was trying to think of other memorable characters that were in the MU neighborhood while going to school from 96-00.  Ziggy was the most unique name (that could be used in place of The Gipper)

#Jeff- the Real Chili dude that was definitely doing his best to recover from some drug problem that relapsed... disappeared one weekend and never saw him again... but he sure could serve some chili!

#Keg delivery guy from Greenfield liquor-  best mullet in town.  

Wow...I'm having some serious flashbacks right now! Good stuff!